Sign in to follow this  
megagoth1702

My trip to Bohemia HQ in Mnisek (28. April 2015 - 1. May 2015) Audio Q&A inside!

Sounds.. like you had a hoot. see what I did there , vomits on brand new T. drinking, getting pizza talking about the game. I'd almost be fooled into thinking Devs were real actual people what liked fun things too.

You got some nice answers for the community, and looking at the pictures have found your father dun dun dunnnn dramaaaa bomb. yes yes, you look like Dusa's love child ;).

fair play to you, and thanks for sharing the communities questions. me I'm a selfish Twat. I'd only be asking the devs how cool was I at doing the robot. pffft Arma what.

Well written blog.Important one as well as it ties and interloops community and devs together when we get

personal insight with answers and pictures and passion.

Wow, what a contribution! Thank you!

Your signature mentions the 'loudness war' which by many audio blokes is considered a disgrace. To me the biggest disgrace regarding the audio industry is lack of proper positional (3D) audio in games, you know, the audio available in the 90's in games like Unreal 1. I understand it may get some time for a 'forgotten technology' to re-emerge but in this case... A disgrace.

I want HRTF positional audio in my games! :

http://matthewkerswill.com/i-want-hrtfs-in-my-games/

http://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/10/864980278184895534/

BTW, what is this 'Direct VON 3D'?

23. Is Direct VON 3D positional? If not, can it be?

We can say that we have VON improvements in our plans, but I cannot expand upon this right now.

Direct VON 3D is pretty much what ACRE2 team did with JVON. :p

Wow, what a contribution! Thank you!

Your signature mentions the 'loudness war' which by many audio blokes is considered a disgrace. To me the biggest disgrace regarding the audio industry is lack of proper positional (3D) audio in games, you know, the audio available in the 90's in games like Unreal 1. I understand it may get some time for a 'forgotten technology' to re-emerge but in this case... A disgrace.

You are correct, was the best.

But the reason for current sound in games to be a disgrace in matters of 3D is not game studios fault, in fact is Microsoft fault.

The good old sound API named DirectSound3D (DS3D), also known as DirectX Audio, was present in DirectX 8 and 9.

But it was replaced by Microsoft after DirectX 10 and 11 (Windows Vista and 7) for the API used in Xbox and Windows phone, and it's called XAudio.

And the truth is, XAudio is a complete garbage in matters of 3D sound when compared with DirectSound3D and about this game developers cant do nothing.

Why Microsoft did this? Probably was matter of economics since consoles are a much more interesting market in matters of games when compared with PCs.

Direct VON 3D is pretty much what ACRE2 team did with JVON. :p

Ah, so Voice Over Network :)

You are correct, was the best.

But the reason for current sound in games to be a disgrace in matters of 3D is not game studios fault, in fact is Microsoft fault.

The good old sound API named DirectSound3D (DS3D), also known as DirectX Audio, was present in DirectX 8 and 9.

But it was replaced by Microsoft after DirectX 10 and 11 (Windows Vista and 7) for the API used in Xbox and Windows phone, and it's called XAudio.

And the truth is, XAudio is a complete garbage in matters of 3D sound when compared with DirectSound3D and about this game developers cant do nothing.

Why Microsoft did this? Probably was matter of economics since consoles are a much more interesting market in matters of games when compared with PCs.

I don't think XAudio is the only option here. Wwise is also multiplatform and has ambisonic/3D audio solutions available.

You can't have a complete galore of companies to blame without Creative destroying Aureal3D (A3D), the very company responsible for making real 3D audio available for consumers.

All in all I really feel sorry for those playing ArmA with headphones without at least Dolby Headphone (Available in some ASUS XONAR cards). That one time I started ArmA with DH disabled and continued from a saved game, near a tank with its engine running. I turned a couple of times and the audio mixing made ma want to cry... Standing with the tank on my left: 90% volume in my left headphone, 10% volume in my right headphone. Someone needs to go outside and see how it works IRL. Yesterday I did a whole mission without Dolby Headphone. I had to constantly look at my AI squad to see what direction they're shooting to see where enemies were.

*EAX was not 3D audio and is long dead along with "accelerated audio"

**Surround sound (ANY implementation of it) is not even close to 3D audio.

Wwise or FMOD are great APIs for effects or environmental sound but in matters of 3D sound are pretty weak when compared with DS3D.

Still looking at current sound conditions, one of these could bring improvements.

Wwise or FMOD are great APIs for effects or environmental sound but in matters of 3D sound are pretty weak when compared with DS3D.

Still looking at current sound conditions, one of these could bring improvements.

OpenAL also has a few 3D audio solutions.

You've missed that bit:

has ambisonic/3D audio solutions available