Purzel

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog joystick and ArmA - big problem

Hi there,

does anybody uses the Trustmaster HOTAS Warthog joystick?

It will not be recognized in ArmA3.

Drivers and firmware-updates are done, T.a.r.g.e.t.-Software is running.

Solution in Post #19

The joystick is recognized by Windows device manager (can be calibrated) and it is running in "DCS:World".

A downloaded custom ArmA-profile for the T.a.r.g.e.t-software ist working with all buttons, but none of the axis

(none of them: thrust, L/R, F/B, every "slider" is not working and cannot been selected)

In ArmA3 (Config) my trackIR is recognized and it is shown, but not my joystick...!

Does anybody have that joystick and can give me some hints?

I´ve searched a lot, but all I´ve found is that thread with the downloaded profile for the target software...

Greetings Purzel

Edited by Purzel
found a solution

Hi there,

The joystick is recognized by Windows device manager (can be calibrated) and it is running in "DCS:World".

A downloaded custom ArmA-profile for the T.a.r.g.e.t-software ist working with all buttons, but none of the axis

(none of them: thrust, L/R, F/B, every "slider" is not working and cannot been selected)

In ArmA3 (Config) my trackIR is recognized and it is shown, but not my joystick...!

I´ve searched a lot, but all I´ve found is that thread with the downloaded profile for the target software...

Greetings Purzel

I'm running a Warthog, pedals and F-16MFDs with no issue.

Have you enabled the Warthog in ArmA?

Once you are in game goto:

Configure > Controls > Controller (on the top ribbon)

If the device is in the list make sure its enabled. Text is white when enabled. Grey when disabled.

Then, go back to Controls and map it to the options you want. This isnt always automatic. I had to map the throttle and some other functions manually myself

Thats the problem, there is NO Warthog visible in that field... not white or grey...

controller82syx.jpg

Edited by Purzel

Thats the problem, there is NO Warthog visible in that field... not white or grey...

controller82syx.jpg

I really hate to say it then. I really do have no idea!?

Hi there,

Greetings Purzel

Did you try to set it up from main menu, or from in ga!e with map loaded?

Did you try to set it up from main menu, or from in game with map loaded?

with map loaded..

[EDIT]

It works when I dont´t use the T.a.r.g.e.t.-Software and configure it in the ArmA-MAIN-Menu without map loaded.

But the joystick will only be shown, when I start the game new!

Edited by Purzel
problem solved

with map loaded..

[EDIT]

It works when I dont´t use the T.a.r.g.e.t.-Software and configure it in the ArmA-MAIN-Menu without map loaded.

But the joystick will only be shown, when I start the game new!

Then were is something wrong with your Warthog profile. Try loading another profile.

Its now running without the Target-Software.

But the stick can only be configured permanently in the Main-Menü ... and!... after a while of configuring the HOTAS isn´t displayed in the "controller"-field.

But the stick can only be configured permanently in the Main-Menü ... and!... after a while of configuring the HOTAS isn´t displayed in the "controller"-field.

I sometimes get the same thing, my x55 will work with no problems but if i reconfigure while in game (its ok on the main screen) it stops working my CH peddles also but not the trackir. After the setup 6 month's'ish ago I haven't reconfigured so have not been bothered by it but after checking it is still doing it I wonder if its an arma profile thing rather than a warthog profile, I have copied my profile files from a previous install of arma have you?

I sometimes get the same thing, my x55 will work with no problems but if i reconfigure while in game (its ok on the main screen) it stops working my CH peddles also but not the trackir. After the setup 6 month's'ish ago I haven't reconfigured so have not been bothered by it but after checking it is still doing it I wonder if its an arma profile thing rather than a warthog profile, I have copied my profile files from a previous install of arma have you?

Looks like it's the same issue

Edited by DarkWanderer

Ok, now I have the problem, that my Throttle is "reversed"... If I push full forward, Engine is OFF, if I pull its full power...

I dont know why, but it has changed the direction...

Suggestions anybody?

Look at how you have it bound in the options and bind it the other way.

It looks like you managed to get your warthog working then if you are now seeing throttle inputs. Any chance of letting me know how you did it. I've the same issue that my warthog is disappearing from the config setup

Cowboy10uk

First of all, why would you need T.A.R.G.E.T for anything? Since new updates you can assign up to 32 Keys per controller, so you can assign up to 64 with your trottle and joystick. If you combine them in T.A.R.G.E.T you limit yourself.

If you want some custom keys, look at the freeware tool Joy2Key. Works flaweless, especially if you want to assign multiple PTT, and other combinations. It wont combine your stick and runs very reliably in the background.

The issue with the config menu is only occuring on Win8/8.1 Systems. BIS has no clue whats happening there. So you have 2 options currently: Switch to either Win7 or Win10 (which is still a technical preview, but free...) or you setup your controls and do not open the control settings anymore after mission start...

First of all, why would you need T.A.R.G.E.T for anything? ...

So you can properly exploit the incredibly expensive hardware to its full potential.

I've got the Warthog, F-16MFDs and Pedals with over 200 commands and macros assigned. Joy2Key wont even come close to that.

Look I understand that some people are having problems with the hardware in game but if you remove the device from device manager and remove all the drivers then reinstall it seems to work perfectly well. Just needs a bit of patience.

Hey Rock,

The issue the last guy has appears to be the following:http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=14924#c92400

Dont think a clean driver install will help when all controllers are lost in midgame.

I used to use the Target script to combine the Axis of the throttle, so I could use the full range for the collective. But since BIS fixed that part I cant really see what more buttons I need. Would you mind give an example or two? Im just curious.

Thanks

Not really related, but i have got a strange issue with my TM HOTAS after last patch (1.44)

For some reason a saitek stick pro command is added to whatever key i try to bind as long as the TM HOTAS devices are connected.

IE if i want to bind "B" to a function,,it will look something like this "Saitek stick pro (input XXX) + B "

Do note that i do not own a saitek stick or throttle..only the pedals are from saitek, and they seem to be unrelated to the problem.

The dirty work around is to disconnect all TM devices ( funny enough the saitek pedals does not have any impact) then make the key binds i need. Reconnect the TM devices and all works.

I also have had some of the issues mentioned above, but after reinstalling pretty much everything related ( arma, target SW and driver) it worked again. So i cannot give the exact solution what was wrong.

One tip if you have issues with the Throttles not working when using TARGET. make sure the Axis in Target are assigned correctly...took me a few weeks to establish that as a cause :)

But all these strange errors combined leaves me to think there is something fishy about the whole joystick input scenario in arma3..so many people report of "strange" Pheripials issues.

First of all, why would you need T.A.R.G.E.T for anything?

If you want to use TFR or ACRE using TARGET is needed.

( might work with other emulators too, but i have not been able to get others working fully)

Edited by Sjaba

OK, here´s the solution:

If you are using mods like TFAR (and others) and you want to use some Keys depending on those mods, you´ll have to use the target software!

First install the target software and keep in mind, which keystrokes are needed.

Normally ArmA3 is not able to let you set keys out of the original configuration-menu, which is needed for TFAR and other mods.

Then delete all HOTAS-keys ingame, if you have tried before.

The trick is: The target-software will provide the hardware under a new name.

After that you will be able to set keys from within the mods-menus.

However:

Now set your keysettings with the new name of the Warthog-Hardware and you will be able to use it ingame.

note:

You have to load your T.a.r.g.e.t.-profile for ArmA3 first and run it.

When you hear your usual "USB-device-is-connected"-sound, the new HOTAS-hardware will be displayed ingame.

I´ll trie to load my profile here, so anybody will see how it works:

Dropbox-link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hge6az1y2x44ocs/Arma3.fcf?dl=0

be free to change the keys as you like and remember, its a German keyboard-layout, so some keys might not work...

greetings

Purzel

Edit:
Download the latest drivers/firmware for your Trustmaster product!
When a TARGET-profile is started, it creates a new device "trustmaster combined", you can use that profile to bind keys on the throttle & joystick.
If you are in Arma 3, you can use exactly that keys e.g. for radio.

BUT:
Your flight-controls stay on the old devices (HOTAS joystick or HOTAS throttle) shown und your config > controller.
Deactivate all without that device you want to use in your config, then do your entry with the desired flight controls,
Arma3 will use now only the activated controller for your entries and will not interfer with the deactivated devices.
Do that step for ALL Trustmaster devices, config every throttle/joystick/rudder-pedal for its own (without double entries!), then activate ALL devices  again and use them all ingame.
That´s the way how it works perfectly at my configuration.

f you want to use TFR or ACRE using TARGET is needed.

( might work with other emulators too, but i have not been able to get others working fully)

If you are using mods like TFAR (and others) and you want to use some Keys depending on those mods, you´ll have to use the target software!

If you just use T.A.R.G.E.T for just ACRE/TFAR, I would say you are dooing way to much work. Just use Joy2Key. Starts up with Windows, automaticly detects which game is running to load the correct profile.

Can manage EVERY Controller, not just Thrustmaster. Can handle analog inputs to simulate button presses. And can be changed on the fly. And all your controls will continue to be seperated.

And with ARMA 3 finaly able to read 32 DX keys per controller, you can even fully use your throttle within arma config.

I did use the TARGET Script version back in the days when you weren't use to have a proper analog throttle in arma. But it was a pain in the a** and was buggy as ever.

Give it a try. Once you saw how reliable Joy2Key works, you will never want to touch the wierd TARGET software anymore.

The dirty work around is to disconnect all TM devices ( funny enough the saitek pedals does not have any impact) then make the key binds i need. Reconnect the TM devices and all works.

Or just disable them in Controller. Way quicker.

Hope it helps

• Like 1

On 6/22/2015 at 10:37 AM, Gruman said:

If you just use T.A.R.G.E.T for just ACRE/TFAR, I would say you are dooing way to much work. Just use Joy2Key. Starts up with Windows, automaticly detects which game is running to load the correct profile.

Can manage EVERY Controller, not just Thrustmaster. Can handle analog inputs to simulate button presses. And can be changed on the fly. And all your controls will continue to be seperated.

And with ARMA 3 finaly able to read 32 DX keys per controller, you can even fully use your throttle within arma config.

I did use the TARGET Script version back in the days when you weren't use to have a proper analog throttle in arma. But it was a pain in the a** and was buggy as ever.

Give it a try. Once you saw how reliable Joy2Key works, you will never want to touch the wierd TARGET software anymore.

Or just disable them in Controller. Way quicker.

Hope it helps

Will/how, will the Joy2Key work with the Thrustmaster Warthog..my Arma 3 sees my Thrustmaster Warthog ( Joystick & Throttle show in white ) but can't see how to key bind buttons...how will this Joy2Key setup????

Thanks

To set your keys, once the Warthog combo is recognized, go to area that binds your keys, open the action to be bound and move the appropriate knob on the warthog. It's just like setting up any other key bind.

Seems to work fine for me.

3 hours ago, Rich_R said:

To set your keys, once the Warthog combo is recognized, go to area that binds your keys, open the action to be bound and move the appropriate knob on the warthog. It's just like setting up any other key bind.

Seems to work fine for me.

Yea, thanks got it figured out..now I really enjoy Arma III, now that I can fly the choppers...now just need to practice bit more with the flying ...oh one question!!! rolling left/right is a bit rough not to smooth..in the Little Bird but the bigger choppers doesn't seem not to bad..but thanks for answering...cheers..

Awesome! Yep, each bird handles a little differently. The challenge I have is remembering which keys are mapped to what. Ended up printing off a template and penciling in whats used.

44 minutes ago, Rich_R said:

Awesome! Yep, each bird handles a little differently. The challenge I have is remembering which keys are mapped to what. Ended up printing off a template and penciling in whats used.

Good Idea, I just might do that also...but for now..just basic's....thanks..