phronk

Disable Ambient Animals?

How do I do this without also turning off environment sounds? "enableEnvironment false;" disables all ambient animals AND turns off ambient environment sound effects, which isn't what I want. I basically just want to do this for a slight performance gain, and there's also a ridiculous amount of rabbits now lol

I don't believe this is possible without a mod. I too would like to see this feature.

Can up vote this feature request here.

I can suggest a simple scripting solution

To constantly delete all animals (including fish):

true spawn {
waitUntil {
	{deleteVehicle agent _x;} forEach agents;

sleep 0.01; false;
};
};

To delete just rabbits and snakes:

true spawn {
waitUntil {
	{
		if(agent _x isKindOf "Rabbit_F" || agent _x isKindOf "Snake_random_F") then {
			deleteVehicle agent _x;
		};
	} forEach agents;

sleep 0.01; false;
};
};

Run one of these scripts once on each client.

That's pretty cool, but I think that would hit performance more than it'd help it. Will probably have to wait a few months for BI to maybe add a command lol.

That's pretty cool, but I think that would hit performance more than it'd help it. Will probably have to wait a few months for BI to maybe add a command lol.

agents is extremely fast scripting command, also thread runs in scheduled environment, performance impact should be is minimal. Keep in mind that animals that constantly do path finding do hurt performance so theoretically in the end there actually should be performance gain after deletion.

Edited by SaMatra

In that case, I may look into it. Thanks again. :)

[EDIT]:

I did a brief test of the second code you linked. I created a "initPlayerLocal.sqf" in the mission's directory folder and had this inside:

if (hasInterface) then { 
true spawn { 
   waitUntil { 
       { 
           if(agent _x isKindOf "Rabbit_F" || agent _x isKindOf "Snake_random_F") then { 
               deleteVehicle agent _x; 
           }; 
       } forEach agents; 

sleep 0.01; false; 
   }; 
};
};

However, I did notice a drop in my frames using this and also an occasional split second stutter every now and then, usually when turning my character quickly. Before using the script, my frames at the base were around 50 to 54, but with the script on, it was hovering around 47 and 50. It successfully removed animals, but did not provide any performance gain that I could notice (more of an impact, really) for the script to be worth using. It may not be as bad if the sleep command was adjusted, but I'm not sure.

Edited by Phronk

How do I do this without also turning off environment sounds? "enableEnvironment false;" disables all ambient animals AND turns off ambient environment sound effects, which isn't what I want. I basically just want to do this for a slight performance gain, and there's also a ridiculous amount of rabbits now lol

Hi @Phronk,

I feel the same as you about the rabbits in Arma 3:p and and I made this little pbo file, it is true... disables all ambient animals and ambient environment sound, but I use this instead http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=26014 in this way I have environment sound again, but no rabbits:). If you want, try it.

I'm trying to do this through scripting or a module that's already in the game. In other words, I want the method to stay vanilla so my mission/server doesn't require even more mods. I also want it to be a method that improves performance, not necessarily one that might impact or have no affect on performance. I'm not just trying to get rid of animals because of an undying hatred for critters, but because I think it could possibly improve performance and perhaps increase frame-rates slightly. If it doesn't help at all, then in that case, I'd have no interest in removing bunnies and snakes.

Well.. you can tweak ambient system config or you can use a user made map that does not include so many animals in environment configuration like Kunduz, for example (if I'm not wrong). Anyway, a script is a bit "tricky" to do because of the loss of performance, as you know.... but there must be a solution for this, I am also interested.

How about setting the cost to 1?

class AmbientA3
{
  maxCost = 500;                      //max. cost of all animals spawned by the ambient system

class Main_spawn_circle_name
  {
     areaSpawnRadius = 440.0;         //radius of the main spawn circle, testing circles are placed on this radius
     areaMaxRadius = 500.0;           //radius where animals are removed
     spawnCircleRadius = 30.0;        //radius of testing circles
     spawnInterval = 4.7;             //how often is the creation process started in seconds

class Species
     {
        class Animal_config_class     //class of animal from CfgVehicles
        {
           maxCircleCount = 5;        //expression - max. number of a given kind in testing circle
           maxWorldCount = 8;         //max. number of animals on map
           cost = 3;                  //cost of animal
           spawnCount = 1;            //how many animals should be spawned at once
           groupSpawnRadius = 10;     //radius for spawning of animal group
           maxAlt = 200;              //if defined, an animal can be created only if [camera height above/under water/ground] < maxAlt
           minAlt = -10;              //if defined, an animal can be created only if [camera height above/under water/ground] > minAlt
        };
     };
  };
};

On 12.05.2015 at 5:22 AM, whiztler said:

How about setting the cost to 1?

class AmbientA3
{
  maxCost = 500;                      //max. cost of all animals spawned by the ambient system

class Main_spawn_circle_name
  {
     areaSpawnRadius = 440.0;         //radius of the main spawn circle, testing circles are placed on this radius
     areaMaxRadius = 500.0;           //radius where animals are removed
     spawnCircleRadius = 30.0;        //radius of testing circles
     spawnInterval = 4.7;             //how often is the creation process started in seconds

class Species
     {
        class Animal_config_class     //class of animal from CfgVehicles
        {
           maxCircleCount = 5;        //expression - max. number of a given kind in testing circle
           maxWorldCount = 8;         //max. number of animals on map
           cost = 3;                  //cost of animal
           spawnCount = 1;            //how many animals should be spawned at once
           groupSpawnRadius = 10;     //radius for spawning of animal group
           maxAlt = 200;              //if defined, an animal can be created only if [camera height above/under water/ground] < maxAlt
           minAlt = -10;              //if defined, an animal can be created only if [camera height above/under water/ground] > minAlt
        };
     };
  };
};

Hello do you know where i can find this file ? 

BI has since added more functionality to the enableEnvironment command which can now disable only animals/insects without removing the wind sounds:

enableEnvironment [ FALSE, TRUE ];

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

But, do i need to create any file ? Will it works on other servers ? For sure i really want to increase animals on map, is it possible ? 

58 minutes ago, Bollvig said:

....For sure i really want to increase animals on map, is it possible ? 

To increase ambient animals that are spawned via the Ambient System would require creation of a separate addon, the only drawback is this newly created addon will be map specific, meaning the Ambient System is written into an individual maps main config.

You can also increase animals by hand placing them via the Animals Module found in the Eden Editor, this option is also Zeus compatible and could be further enhanced by using this modification.  

Edit....check out TPW MOD, it has an ambient animals script that could work in MP.