Sign in to follow this  
Ex-RoNiN

Question about artillery barrage

Ok, assuming the enemy is well dug in, the area is known but exact target locations aren't.

How many guns are there usually in an artillery battery that is supposed to

1) un-dig the enemy in that large-ish area?

2) provide concentrated fire support for troops approaching the area under barrage?

Also, what would the ratio of SABOT vs. HEAT be?

How fast would each cannon reload? Is it the same for sabot and heat?

Would the guns all fire simultaneously, or would they fire one-by-one with a 2 sec. interval between each gun?

I need this information for a mission of mine smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Also, what would the ratio of SABOT vs. HEAT be?

<span id='postcolor'>

In OFP world, I've noticed that HEAT is a much more effective anti-personnel round. In real life, there are no Sabot and HEAT arty rounds. Common munitions include HE, White Phosphorus, ICM (Improved Conventional Munitions, an anti-armor round), FACSAM (Family of Scatterable Mines), and Smoke. HE is the most available and commonly used munition.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">How fast would each cannon reload? Is it the same for sabot and heat?

<span id='postcolor'>

Sustained rate of fire is somewhere between 3-6 rounds per minute per gun.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Would the guns all fire simultaneously, or would they fire one-by-one with a 2 sec. interval between each gun?

<span id='postcolor'>

Ideally guns would fire in salvo, it's a trigger discipline thing. Same with machine guns and mortars. So that ammo lasts longer, and at any given time rounds are hitting down range.

A battery usually consists of Six guns. smile.gif

Also, mortars are the preferred mode of attack against dug-in enemy. Since mortar rounds travel in very high arcs, the rounds tend to hit the bottom of foxholes (very lethal) much more often than arty rounds which travel in a shallow arc.

Most common mortar munitions are HE and Smoke. Mortar muzzle diameters range from 60mm to 120mm.

A finnish heavy mortar company (for example) has 2-3 platoons consisting of three mortars each. (Never ever call a mortar platoon a battery BTW).

A mortar company typically fires the first rounds simultaneously after which each mortar slams the rounds in as fast as possible (experienced crews can really let it rip, 5 seconds a shot). The final round is again fired simultaneously by each mortar.

Recently fully automated mortar systems have become available. A single one of these puppies can put six rounds to a target simultaneously by varying the charge and angle of the shots fired. Pretty neat-o.

My avatar displays a 120mm puppy in action.

Thanks guys, I have now a complete script together, 2 batteries covering a large area, each battery firing a shot every 2-5 seconds, with each gun firing about 3-4 rounds per minute.

Ammo for each battery is 3 heats and 3 sabots, fired in rotation (heat, sabot, heat, sabot etc.).

smile.gif