Sign in to follow this  
neofit

New soundscape / sonic crack

Hi,

I didn't play Arma3 for a few months and came back a week ago. Apparently in the meantime the patch that came with the Snipers DLC changed the soundscape significantly. Now I am totally confused during firefights. I am not talking about weapon sounds but the changes to the sonic crack and how it works.

I remember we used to have a not too loud, rather distinctive, and non-directional crack when a bullet passed nearby. It didn't change since Arma2 and worked rather well: we knew we were being shot at and could still easily pinpoint the direction the enemy was shooting from.

Now, the new sonic crack:

* sounds like (silenced) gun shots by a teammate

* the sound bite is longer, like that of a gunshot

* is way louder than the shooting gun

* is directional, but not from where the shot came

So right now whenever I am with a team of friendlies and am getting shot at, I have no idea what is happening. I don't know if it's a crack or some friendly shooting, cracks sound from all over the place and often cover the sound of the shooting weapon, and I have a hard time pinpointing the origin of the shots fired at me. It always takes a lot of time to get my bearings, and most of the time I have to get a hint by looking where my teammates are shooting to figure things out. I have *never* been this confused by the sound environment before (I have a rather accurate 5.1 speaker system), and I clocked hundreds of hours in Arma 3. I've just finished a playthrough of Hunter Six and half the time I was like "What? Where? Ah, never mind, finish them off guys, I'll just lie there for a bit" :).

Is there a way to get back to the previous soundscape/cracks?

A few points:

1. There's already a official thread to discuss this topic. Use that instead.

2. There is no Sniper DLC

3. You seem a little ignorant for someone who says he/she clocked hundreds of hours in the game.

4. Confusion is part of real world battlefields too.

5. The new system is an improvement. So are the new and more varied samples.

6. Sonic cracks are loud and arrive to your ears before you can hear the gunshot. Of course the gunshot should drown out and be hard to distinguish.

3. You seem a little ignorant for someone who says he/she clocked hundreds of hours in the game.

Right back at you, einstein.

Shorter and less loud cracks did not drown out gunshots, now they do.

What Brisse said. Amen bro. :jesus:

" is directional, but not from where the shot came" :404:

you know what means reverberation and sound expand?

You cant heard from where bein´shot if the enemy is more than 150 metres away. the sound doesnt come straight to you.

Please think a bit before posting AND take a look to the forum for an existing issue. :icon_slap:

..., (I have a rather accurate 5.1 speaker system)....

Try twisting the dials ..., Up the bass & cut the treble helps alot.

If you got graphic EQ, can shape the sound band by band.

Just a few tips. When getting shot at, don't pay attention to the cracks right away. Listen for the gunshot afterwards. If you don't hear it, he's far out. If you hear it slightly, he's far, but you could look at flanking options once you've done some actual combat assessment and found his general location. If your absolutely confused, listen to the cracks more closely. They aren't exact, but you can figure out direction the bullets are fly by looking to the side, if the snap starts right and the reverb end finishes a bit more to the left, it's coming from somewhere right of you.

Shorter and less loud cracks did not drown out gunshots, now they do.

Yes, but the short and dry crack that was before sounded like it was recorded in a soundproof room. In real environments, there's a lot of reverberation. Trust me, I've experienced sonic cracks back in the days when I served my country.

---------- Post added at 13:42 ---------- Previous post was at 13:39 ----------

Right back at you, einstein

That's fine. I deserved that comment.

Listen to these high quality recordings and tell me you cannot hear the reverberation in the environment after the sonic crack:

https://soundcloud.com/therecordist/supersonic-subsonic-bullets

Edited by Brisse

Think it would have been fair to just point out to op, its wip at the moment. Alot of stuff out of sync with sounds And is not the desired result so don't panic. This is from an overhaul of sounds bis is doing, and is just the foundation for a better sound overall.

So soldier on.

Yes, but the short and dry crack that was before sounded like it was recorded in a soundproof room. In real environments, there's a lot of reverberation. Trust me, I've experienced sonic cracks back in the days when I served my country.

---------- Post added at 13:42 ---------- Previous post was at 13:39 ----------

That's fine. I deserved that comment.

You're a good sport ;).

Listen to these high quality recordings and tell me you cannot hear the reverberation in the environment after the sonic crack:

https://soundcloud.com/therecordist/supersonic-subsonic-bullets

I am not sure I should hear that much reverberation in an open field. And in these recordings, I believe it's the gunshot reverberation I am hearing, not the crack's. I clearly hear the crack separately from the shot. Also, I've tried at various occasions, with different equipment (amateur, mind you) to record my stuff at the shooting range and the results have absolutely nothing to do with what I hear in reality. Not in quality, but in dynamic range or whatever it is called. For instance there was little difference between my Glock and the huge Desert Eagle the guy was shooting in the next booth, yet IRL I even "felt" each of his shots in my belly. So I am rather wary of recordings of loud sounds.

I've just ran a few Clashpoints to check again. I've had a Mora spraying around me with cannon fire from 50m away and I didn't even hear its guns nor the explosions, all I heard was small arms cracks "reverberating" like a constant background noise.

And in any case, it doesn't matter how people think it's realistic, it is still a game with many concessions to reality, and I feel that not being totally "audio-blinded" by endless reverberating cracks should be one of them, at least as an *option*.

I'll try downloading the latest versions of SOSpure and JSRS, but if it's an engine issue, I don't have much hope.

I think they happen way too frequently. The "sphere of sound" is too large. Last night someone was on top of a big container tower thing and I was on the down-slope of the hill it was on. I was getting cracks when they were firing over me onto targets 300-500m away. Those shots are like 10-15m above my head at a minimum, there is no reason that I'd be hearing those cracks. I'd say at most maybe a "sphere of sound" that has a 5m radius from the player should get cracks.

As Neofit says, IMO they deafen out gunfire no matter how close the muzzle is. If a .50 is firing 50 meters ahead of you (toward you) you hear CRACK followed by the last bit of the muzzle sound of the .50. This is not how things are - .50s are loud. Really loud.

In the instance last night, the only reason I knew it was them firing is because they had ID'd targets and I saw outbound tracers. Otherwise I would have had no idea who was firing where from the sounds. It just sounded like a bunch of snaps from a silenced weapon.

@HeinzMcDurgen; Oh yes, you should easily hear those sonic cracks from 15m. It's hard to imagine how loud they are until you heard them IRL. They will even hurt your ears unless you wear hearing protection. Me and some other players discussed this in the dev-branch audio thread some time ago.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?154605-Audio-Tweaking-%28dev-branch%29&p=2912995&viewfull=1#post2912995

Moot point as of v1.44. Today's patch fixed the cracks and we're back to the way it used to be: scary cracks all around, yet you can still hear the rest of the battlefield. I've just played about an hour of Clashpoint, was in various situations, but was never drowned in sonic cracks like before.

I knew there was something off about the sounds, and yeah I noticed it immediately.

I'll have to say I'm not a fan of it, however it was pre 1.44, they should've left it alone.