Sign in to follow this  
swtx

Cyclic Rate of Assault Rifles and Sub Guns - Feedback

I have noticed with this particular game engine, that the cyclic rates of battle rifles and subgun's has never really been accurate. always a little slower and glitchy compared to other FPS like the Battlefield series or even Call of Duty. I am hoping by posting this that Dev Branch will take a look at weapon firing rates and bring them up to more realistic standards.

Take the Vermin subgun or in real life the Kriss Vector Mark V. The actual cyclic rate of that particular subgun is 1150 rounds per minute, making the in game version a tad bit lacking in the high rate of fire category. it also sports a two round burst mode instead of a triple burst depicted in game.

The MX which I believe is highly based on the M4 carbine and the SCAR and the MAGPUL Masada is not reflecting an accurate cyclic rate when firing in full auto. The rate needs to be higher and more stable (without glitching) to reflect the actual rate of a modern combat rifle.

These are just two examples out of many that i could give. It would be nice if there were a config value that would allow the Cyclic rate of combat rifles and subguns to be modified based on real world values.

Thx for tuning in,

Scott Out :)

the glitch have to do with fps i believe...u get glitchy and slower firerate when ur fps is low..

Not sure where this thread is going but I'll chime in because I believe my point dove tails with the OP's comments.

It is my understanding that most modern combat weapons (AR's) have semi and burst fire modes. ArmA III has single and full for the most part with a select few staple shooters having burst.

is there any intent (or perhaps mod) to modify this game behavior? Perhaps just an explanation for the design decision as it stands.

Ingame Vermin already got 1200 rounds per minute , only missing is the 2-round burst mode

MX got 620rpm which is accurate too - the ACR is around 600-700 and Scar got 650

Edited by RobertHammer

the mx was designed by CMMG for arma 3 i don't know why people comparing it to real weapons that it borrows some likeness from.

+1 on what RH said.

Also, don't forget that the game engine is limited to firing one shot every frame, so if your framerate is low, your cyclic rate will go down.

---------- Post added at 08:24 ---------- Previous post was at 08:20 ----------

It is my understanding that most modern combat weapons (AR's) have semi and burst fire modes. ArmA III has single and full for the most part with a select few staple shooters having burst.

is there any intent (or perhaps mod) to modify this game behavior? Perhaps just an explanation for the design decision as it stands.

Most? No, only a few have that. The most obvious one in the game that is missing burst is Katiba. The real life counterpart, the KH2002 Sama does have single, burst and full auto.

On, the other hand, the Navid has a burst mode ingame, and not in the real world.

If you people want realistic weapon names, cyclic rates, muzzle velocities, and performance I suggest trying ACE3 mod. Bohemia is taking a little artistic license with Arma3 you see.

You could simply write your own config for a weapon, and adjust values, or add fire modes, etc. Problem solved

I think updating the weapon configs to allow modder's to adjust there own cyclic rates to real world values would fix the problem.

RH - disagree with you on the actual ingame rate of the vermin. Take a look at this and I think you will agree :)

Adjusting cyclic rate to exactly real world values won't lend you a huge boost to realism. Besides, real world values are theoretical. Oddly, all firearms in ARMA remain brand new and don't suffer the effects of heat, dust and propellant residue, which would skew those numbers. Inconsistencies in ammunition would affect recoil rate, misfire and failure. So far, I have yet to encounter a misfire, malfunction, overheat, or had to manually readjust my gas return valve, change a barrel, etc. So I would surmise that default rates will do just fine.

i'm not going to disagree Paramed14, just saying it would be nice if the end user could adjust the cyclic rates of the rifles, pistols and subguns in game. Nothing more nothing less.

I think updating the weapon configs to allow modder's to adjust there own cyclic rates to real world values would fix the problem.

RH - disagree with you on the actual ingame rate of the vermin. Take a look at this and I think you will agree :)

Believe or not , the Vermin got 1200rpm set in his config - like others said game's FPS can lower the rate of fire because of engine reasons

Edited by RobertHammer

What RH said. when I'm in VR world with the vermin the bullets go as fast as the kriss in that video. no matter what BIS doen shooting faster as your FPS allow you to is never going to happen. my tip upgrade your pc for better FPS

Meh guys.

It's way worse in case of any in the game featured Gatling gun.

Aim the sky and fire full auto, you'll see a massive increase in ROF due to the FPS increase.

Meh guys.

It's way worse in case of any in the game featured Gatling gun.

They have a workaround for gatling guns that enables them to fire more than one shot each frame.

They have a workaround for gatling guns that enables them to fire more than one shot each frame.

It's not in for ArmA 3, AFAIK. It caused massive lag in A2

But only for the manually operated Gatlings on the choppers and on the boats, right?

I wish they would add that feature to all Gatlings, like the 30mm of the Wipeout, 20mm of the Blackfoot and the non-manned Gatlings on the choppers, like the Pawnee.

It's not in for ArmA 3, AFAIK. It caused massive lag in A2
But only for the manually operated Gatlings on the choppers and on the boats, right?

I wish they would add that feature to all Gatlings, like the 30mm of the Wipeout, 20mm of the Blackfoot and the non-manned Gatlings on the choppers, like the Pawnee.

I THINK It works like this in the config (also check the post by Sniperwolf572 below this one!):

http://pastie.org/10176771

burst = 1;

multiplier = 3;

So - each time you click the mouse buttn 1 burst is fired. In the burst there are *multiplier* amount of bullets fired. This way for example instead of having a RoF of 1000, you could have a RoF of 500, with burst = 1 and multiplier = 2. This would still mean that there are roughly 1000 rounds per minute fired.

This is a dirty hack, but the engine can really not handle more advanced stuff at the moment.

Edited by megagoth1702

It works like this in the config:

http://pastie.org/10176771

burst = 1;

multiplier = 3;

So - each time you click the mouse buttn 1 burst is fired. In the burst there are *multiplier* amount of bullets fired. This way for example instead of having a RoF of 1000, you could have a RoF of 500, with burst = 1 and multiplier = 2. This would still mean that there are roughly 1000 rounds per minute fired.

This is a dirty hack, but the engine can really not handle more advanced stuff at the moment.

Not fired, just expended. With that setup, one click would fire one bullet, and the bullet count in the magazine would go down by 3. The single bullet that was fired still behaves like a single bullet.

Burst property controls the amount of bullets that the weapon fires on a single click, so burst = 2 would fire 2 bullets, 3 would fire 3, etc. They still fire on separate frames, not at the same time, and the delay between each bullet is affected by reloadTime of the fire mode.

Multiplier just controls the bullet count reduction for each bullets. So burst 2 multiplier 2 would fire 2 bullets and the ammo count would be reduced by 4.

What BI used to do and what created lag and other issues, was add submunition to each bullet, which would create more bullets before the impact (think cluster bomb). Since submunition creates global projectiles, they ended up being transmitted over the network and caused lag.

Edited by Sniperwolf572