Drifter

Korengal Valley, Afghanistan [WIP]

Hello, some may already know of my first terrain called "Southern Wardak Province, Afghanistan". If not then here is a link to the post - HERE

First off I would like to say that I'm not abandoning my Wardak terrain. I am still working on Wardak from time to time. Since Wardak was my first terrain I made, I treated it as it was my learning terrain, to familiarize my self with terrain builder and buldozer. Now that I got the hang of TB and Buldozer, I know feel more comfortable with create a more advance and detailed terrain such as the Korengal Valley. So far this is in early work in progress and I might prioritize this terrain over my wardak terrain.

Requirements:

JBAD_Buildings - http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=26806

Version 0.1 Alpha - http://www.mediafire.com/download/jkh4r894ul638g9/Korengal+V0.1a.rar

About the terrain:

This terrain will be base on the real terrain of the Korengal Valley, I am trying as hard as I can to make this terrain as accurate as possible to the real deal. The terrain will consist of all the foot paths, roads, buildings, compounds, landmarks and bases that are present on the terrain in real life.

Features:

* Korengal Outpost

* OP Restrepo (Former site) - This area will be on map and empty for custom base layouts

* Towns / villages

* Roads and patrol paths

* Caves and hidden basements in houses

* Dried river with rocks (The base of the valleys are gradually increasing in height so water in the river will not make it with out flooding the valley.)

More to be shown in the future.

Questions and Answers:

Q: Will you continue working on Wardak, Afghanistan?

A: Yes, as of now it will be put off to the side for now.

Q: Will their be an Alpha release of this terrain?

A: Not sure at this stage of the build. Will announce if and when it will be released.

Q: Will this terrain require any specific addons to run?

A: Yes, you will need the JBAD_Buildings addons made by Milk8Man and Smokedog.

Q: How big is the terrain?

A: 10.2km large (10240 meters to be exact).

Old Pictures:

Terrain Builder photos:

Isyxp7c.jpg[/img]

blI0ILz.jpg[/img]

sMCpekz.jpg[/img]

Gl52D8o.jpg[/img]

Map view / sat map:

(Due to google maps not having up to date pictures of the area their is a chunk of map that is colored differently due to that area not updated in google maps. Sadly their was no way to fix it.)

u2xIWZA.png[/img]

New Pictures:

These photos are not the newest of all the photos I have on my PC, but are newer then the ones above.

SupR7Rh.png[/img]

sBoc7yG.jpg[/img]

45Srplf.jpg[/img]

Requirements:

JBAD_Buildings - http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=26806

Version 0.1 Alpha - http://www.mediafire.com/download/jkh4r894ul638g9/Korengal+V0.1a.rar

Thanks to:

MilkMan and Smokedog for JBAD_Buildings

The A3 Community.

Edited by Drifter

Looks nice Drifter. Thanks for releasing it.

Well, I couldn't stand missing out on maps like this, like Clafghan from ArmA 2 :D

Don't know how far into the Pech you're going but I have a small amount of areas shots though of the Nangalam/Blessing area.

But however I've been in the real terrain as Fraggle Rock and did an operation in Omar, which is right at the northern mouth (where my initial Company sector was) where it met the Pech anyway. If you'd like I can send all of my shots anyway if needed.

EDIT: Nevermind, I'll send you what I got if it's 10km (Blessing was only six kays north of the Korengal anyway) by 10km.

Edited by EricJ

new photos from a in-game perspective.

EzP9JYx.png[/img]

QNjpU7H.png[/img]

PRPIWv3.png[/img]

dLewVoc.png[/img]

Looking nice... also there is FB Vegas and another which escapes me on the Eastern side of the Korengal as well. COP Michigan/Penich is just NW of the mouth of the Korengal mouth as well just kitty corner of Kandigal (which is right at the mouth of the valley), Tantil, and Matin along the Pech just NE of the Korengal.

New pictures of my progress on the section by the Korengal Outpost.

sBoc7yG.jpg[/img]

n8qWvlP.png[/img]

tS3Tbl1.jpg[/img]

SupR7Rh.png[/img]

SJ40cnv.png[/img]

kjddMY4.jpg[/img]

45Srplf.jpg[/img]

nske660.jpg[/img]

gPkNP6B.png[/img]

That looks muuuuuch better than your last screenshots. Are you using a real heightmap or is it mostly modified/custom/hand-placed by you, as far as hills and mountains go? I only ask because the hills and mountains look a lot shallower than the ones from Clafghan. Their mountains were very steep and reached high altitudes. Not criticizing, just curious on how you're doing it.

If you go into Google Earth and get at ground level you're looking about about 3,000+ MSL around Nangalam, which was about the same height of the Korengal Valley floor and all the way to Asadabad to the east. So no, the mountains in that area don't reach into the sky like Clafghan does, unlike the Tora Bora, and to the west of the valleys, where the Hindu Kush gets sharper and higher in elevation.

Matter of fact referencing Clafghan I don't know where in the Kunar those valleys and mountains are and the area looks right, given Restrepo and Korengal. Looking beautiful Drifter.

Awesome stuff drifter :)

Awesome work!

Thanks for feedback :)

That looks muuuuuch better than your last screenshots. Are you using a real heightmap or is it mostly modified/custom/hand-placed by you, as far as hills and mountains go? I only ask because the hills and mountains look a lot shallower than the ones from Clafghan. Their mountains were very steep and reached high altitudes. Not criticizing, just curious on how you're doing it.

Yes, I do terraform a lot of the mountains to reshape them a bit to fit the towns and foot paths on them. I do use a real height map from real life, however in L3DT I change the verticle height map so the mountain are not ridiculously steep, some parts of the mountain I still keep them steep.

Thanks for the feedback :D

---------- Post added at 11:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:44 AM ----------

If you go into Google Earth and get at ground level you're looking about about 3,000+ MSL around Nangalam, which was about the same height of the Korengal Valley floor and all the way to Asadabad to the east. So no, the mountains in that area don't reach into the sky like Clafghan does, unlike the Tora Bora, and to the west of the valleys, where the Hindu Kush gets sharper and higher in elevation.

Matter of fact referencing Clafghan I don't know where in the Kunar those valleys and mountains are and the area looks right, given Restrepo and Korengal. Looking beautiful Drifter.

Thanks a ton :D

Looks very nice! I am a huge fan of Clafghan and have great interest in any map for Arma 3 that has the same "feel" :)

Looks very nice! I am a huge fan of Clafghan and have great interest in any map for Arma 3 that has the same "feel" :)

You and me both, exactly why I'm taking the time to create this terrain for the community :D

---------- Post added at 05:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:37 PM ----------

I will be streaming my progress on Twitch.tv of this terrain, for those that are interest here is the link to my twitch - http://www.twitch.tv/akdrifter (I advise you guys to read below about somethings to expect in my stream, nothing bad. Just a heads up.)

I have my stream quality pretty low to maintain a good connection as I am in my Teamspeak with a few of my friends, and as of now they are playing Rust. I am playing music as well, to be exact Electronica (DnB, Chillstep, House nothing bad to give headaches, or annoyance, pretty relaxing music for this stuff :)) I won't be doing much talking so feel free to mute the sound of music and my friends chatting away :D

Also, for the music I am using Non Copyrighted music, mainly from trustworthy YouTube uploaders. Like NCS (Non Copyrighted Sounds) where I get a majority of all my music.

Ended stream

Edited by Drifter

Expect an alpha version release soon guys :D

Nice, just nice

loving the progress. Any thoughts of using DBO ponds for the lover valley parts that could use water?

loving the progress. Any thoughts of using DBO ponds for the lover valley parts that could use water?

Thanks. I'm not familiar on how to use DBO ponds. I can look more into it.

i agree here-DBO ponds would be great!It adds ponds etc back to arma.

Is this still being worked on?

I'm sure I saw a korengal valley map being cancelled cuz they lost their save?

If it is sweet can't wait.

Is this still being worked on?

I'm sure I saw a korengal valley map being cancelled cuz they lost their save?

If it is sweet can't wait.

Sadly this project did become corrupted and I do plan on bringing it back in the future, when people may ask, I'm not sure, I have other projects on my mind including 3-4 different terrains. One is currently Work in Progress, Southern Waziristan, Pakistan.