Sign in to follow this  
redpiano

Is there any way to improve performance with AI?

ArmA 3 runs great for me with no AI or mission stuff going. But as soon as there's even a fairly small amount of AI it tanks my framerate and makes the game a pain to play, I've been dealing with it since the game came to alpha but I'm kind of sick and tired of it.

Is there any way to reduce the ridiculous amount of resources the AI requires or improve my performance in some way?

My cpu is relatively old i5 760 pre-sandy bridge.

ArmA 3 runs great for me with no AI or mission stuff going. But as soon as there's even a fairly small amount of AI it tanks my framerate and makes the game a pain to play, I've been dealing with it since the game came to alpha but I'm kind of sick and tired of it.

Is there any way to reduce the ridiculous amount of resources the AI requires or improve my performance in some way?

My cpu is relatively old i5 760 pre-sandy bridge.

Use less :)

There are some tricks but generally if you aren't an experienced scripter, using less AI is a good way to reduce the resources while keeping your sanity.

Use less :)

There are some tricks but generally if you aren't an experienced scripter, using less AI is a good way to reduce the resources while keeping your sanity.

He does say he uses a "fairly small amount", but I guess that is a relative statement, so to the OP, what is "fairly small"?

Maybe 30 individual soldiers some with move commands and a couple vehicles. If it's in a city it tends to be much worse.

Yeahh just test and find the perfect balance for your missions. I mostly play through editor and start with big AI numbers and if I fall below a certain limit of FPS I reduce the amount of AI until I can have a good game play.

I'm not completely up on A3, but if your making your own missions, use the scenario manager or it could be called simulation manager (can't remember). Its just a cache type thing I think. But it will help with AI numbers and you can custom setup distances etc.

Just a thought.

Best way to save performance, I found, is to use scripts that spawn and de-spawn AI accordingly. DAC is a very good script and EOS is pretty good too. These scripts can spawn in AI when you get a certain distance from a trigger or marker used to create groups of AI and de-spawn them when you are finished an objective or move away from the marker or trigger.

Check them out here:

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=25550

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=20262

I stand corrected, sim/man is only good for groups or AI that don't move (no waypoints). Don't know what I was using last time I had it working for A3, I was sure it was included in sim/man...:confused:

Still, medication could have been much higher back then..

Edited by ChrisB

simpleCachev2 for AISSP (AI Spawn Script Pack) SP/MP

by Na_Palm

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=25073

A revisited version of the simpleCache script included in AI Spawn Script Pack which does not require to execute any

controlled militarize and fillHouse script before.

ZBE Caching SP/MP

by zorrobyte

http://tinyurl.com/oywrpqf

This caching script/addon enablesimulation false & hideobject true all AI units but Team Leaders if players are not within X distance

OR enemy AI units are not within X distance.

==============

Refer to my AI Compilation List as a future reference.