Sign in to follow this  
megagoth1702

What questions would you ask the AUDIO TEAM of Bohemia? Technical & creative stuff

Question:

Will we see more vehicle sound refinements? Particulary the "secondary sounds" that make a vehicle sound complete are lacking (gearbox, cooling fan, tire humming of big profiled tires).

And also the directional nature of those sounds, will we see a system that implements this? (basically a "cone" where you can hear a sound loud and clear, while if you are standing outside the cone the sound will get occluded more and more)

What i mean by this - different sounds have different "source locations" and directions on a vehicle. From the front you might hear the gearbox and threads/tire sounds more pronounced. From the back/top you will likely hear the exhaust very loud. This would enable alot more interesting and realistic vehicle soundscape.

Here is an earlier post about missing vehicle sounds, and here is another one (with the following 2 posts) to explain more what i mean with more examples.

Edited by Fennek

Question:

Will we see more vehicle sound refinements? Particulary the "secondary sounds" that make a vehicle sound complete are lacking (gearbox, cooling fan, tire humming of big profiled tires).

And also the directional nature of those sounds, will we see a system that implements this? (basically a "cone" where you can hear a sound loud and clear, while if you are standing outside the cone the sound will get occluded more and more)

What i mean by this - different sounds have different "source locations" and directions on a vehicle. From the front you might hear the gearbox and threads/tire sounds more pronounced. From the back/top you will likely hear the exhaust very loud. This would enable alot more interesting and realistic vehicle soundscape.

Here is an earlier post about missing vehicle sounds, and here is another one (with the following 2 posts) to explain more what i mean with more examples.

I liked your custom tank sound example. So this "whining" sound that goes from low to high without shifting depending on speed is the gear box? Nice, I never thought of it that way. Will forward this.

I liked your custom tank sound example. So this "whining" sound that goes from low to high without shifting depending on speed is the gear box? Nice, I never thought of it that way. Will forward this.

Ever heard a race car? Often, the gearbox whine on a racecar can be louder than the engine itself. Here's an example:

Your gearbox in your average street car does not make much of this sound because those gear boxes are designed to be as quiet as possible. They use diagonally cut gears to make for a smoother mesh with less vibrations. The downside is that they loose strength if you make them like that. This is why industrial, military and race applications often use straight cut gears instead. They want as much strength as possible, and noise might be acceptable for the application.

1010sr_25_o%2Bquick_change_rear_end%2Bstraight_cut_and_helical_cut_gears.jpg

The only question I would ask the BI Audio team would be "Why didn't you give the guy who developed JSRS 3.0 Dragonfyre a job?" Considering how good a job the guy did, a single person made a sound/mod pack superior to both BI's attempts who were funded and developed within a team. Now the poor guy is broke and sick and was really banking on getting a job with them. I know they aren't a charity, but damn the guy did a better job for free than an entire team did who were getting paid.

The only question I would ask the BI Audio team would be "Why didn't you give the guy who developed JSRS 3.0 Dragonfyre a job?" Considering how good a job the guy did, a single person made a sound/mod pack superior to both BI's attempts who were funded and developed within a team. Now the poor guy is broke and sick and was really banking on getting a job with them. I know they aren't a charity, but damn the guy did a better job for free than an entire team did who were getting paid.

This probably does not justify a response because this should be a questions only thread but since its mine and I am already nearly there I gotta type somethig. Here in Germany nobody who is broke actually becomes broke. Social security and health care is amazing if you know how to work the system. And with the qualification he had (no matter how "reelistikkkkk" some people think it sounds) putting everything into a chance for a job in the video games industry is pretty naive.

Its easy to be an internet hero and without knowing facts put the responsibility for his situation on BIS but in life the only person responsible is YOU. Always. Its hard but its the truth. In the end I assume that the whole experience will make jarhead a stronger person. Keep calm and let time pass.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Edited by megagoth1702

So this "whining" sound that goes from low to high without shifting depending on speed is the gear box? Nice, I never thought of it that way. Will forward this.

That sound is the final transmission, not the gearbox. The rpm variable whining is the gearbox. My implementation is not very good, because the whining of the gearbox would sound different for every gearcombination - so if you switch up the tone should switch, but this is not possible in Arma atm since there is no frequency control source for the active gear (and the physx drivetrain is kinda broken so it requires unrealistic amounts of gears)

The whining sound that goes from low to high without changing is the final drive - a gear pair that transmitts the torque from the driveshaft to the wheel axles. It is always active, hence the constant whailing.

If you ever wondered why your car whails in reverse - it's because that is a straight cut gearcombination (some brand new cars dont have it though).

Now, excuse my gear fetish please :D Our local busses have "musical gearboxes", it sounds pretty awesome

Edited by Fennek

Mega please and I mean please ask the team if there is any chance that they can change the Wipeout cannon sound. Sounds as if the cannon is bored shooting. Cant help but feel it was a rush job no real love for the amazing sound That is an a10 canon.

Also jet sounds passing by overhead.

The trip is over. It was great. I am waiting for a message letting me know what I am allowed to publish and will do a small write up. :)

Cool! We appreciate what you are doing here :)

The trip is over. It was great. I am waiting for a message letting me know what I am allowed to publish and will do a small write up. :)

Can't wait :D

Dear audio team, how do you go about creating the effects on voices over radios? For instance, what techniques and filters do you use? Is it a mixture of 'high-pass' and 'equalisation' features? And how could we in the community best do something similar? Thanks!

Ah- sorry - you've returned already! :D Great stuff! Looking forward to hear all about it! :P

Imo they need to tone down the new snapping sounds, it overtones the gun sounds, I hear more snip snaps then i do the guns, i wish there was an option to turn that off or lower it,

I personally dont care if its realistic or not, maybe if I was being shot at from 500m or more then fine but 200m and closer i should here the guns firing no?

Dear audio team, how do you go about creating the effects on voices over radios? For instance, what techniques and filters do you use? Is it a mixture of 'high-pass' and 'equalisation' features? And how could we in the community best do something similar? Thanks!

Ah- sorry - you've returned already! :D Great stuff! Looking forward to hear all about it! :P

Do you want to know how to make a voice recordin sound like it's from a radio with audio programs or are you looking for an in-game option?

@Megagoth1702 - Hi mate! Well, I'm interested in both - but I'd particularly like to hear how you'd do it in the upmost professional manner! :D An in-game or Arma Tools option would be awesome though!

@Megagoth1702 - Hi mate! Well, I'm interested in both - but I'd particularly like to hear how you'd do it in the upmost professional manner! :D An in-game or Arma Tools option would be awesome though!

I have no idea how EXACTLY Bohemia Interactive is doing it, but they have a real-time processing chain for "normal voice -> radio voice".

Also I am not a professional at all.

But I have done some voice "radio processing" for my old DCS:A-10 mission. All the voices (except the player and his buddy who use radio teamspeak plugins) are recorded cleanly (some even via teamspeak :D) and processed in REAPER. I am creating a quick tutorial on how to do that. It should be doable with all kinds of audio processing tools though, because the steps are very, very basic stuff.

There we go, tutorial.

Edited by megagoth1702

@Megagoth1702 - ah, bless you, mate! Really interesting stuff! Thanks! I used a similar technique for Resist, but via Audacity; the guitar distortion is an interesting feature too! Thanks for posting!