SGT Fuller

United States Air Force( 2015)

On 10/23/2018 at 5:43 AM, Ex3B said:

OK so as I thought.  The "Block 4 upgrade" is NOT adding more missiles.  The upgrade is mostly software updates.  VERY EXPENSIVE software updates that are getting a great deal of attention due to the extra costs.

The addition of more missiles is a proposed component of "block 4" but not "the" component.  There is a whole lot of "if" in the articles.  Vaporware at this point.  In the future who knows but additional missiles aren't on the table any time soon.

And "beast mode" is just marketing hype.  They never fly sorties with full loadouts, ever.

« Beast mode » is more a Russian tradition with Sukhoi and Mig aircrafts. They like showing their arsenal and specially  to persuade the aggressor to go backwards. from what I know, the missiles are visible on the radar but the American tradition has always taught us that they prefer the surprise and the stealth than the highlight of the weapons

5 hours ago, hcpookie said:

And "beast mode" is just marketing hype.  They never fly sorties with full loadouts, ever.

99% of the sorties my unit flies are unarmed, simply because almost all the sorties we’ll fly in the AO are going to be Paveways or JDAMs in the internal bays, because they’re against asymmetrical targets, no need for 14 120s. Occasionally we will send up a sortie with 4 120s or 2 120s and 2 9s and a 4-6 Paveways or JDAMs, but a sortie that’s heavily loaded is rare, maybe a couple times a year right now.

13 hours ago, hcpookie said:

OK so as I thought.  The "Block 4 upgrade" is NOT adding more missiles.  The upgrade is mostly software updates.  VERY EXPENSIVE software updates that are getting a great deal of attention due to the extra costs.

The addition of more missiles is a proposed component of "block 4" but not "the" component.  There is a whole lot of "if" in the articles.  Vaporware at this point.  In the future who knows but additional missiles aren't on the table any time soon.

How did you come to that conclusion from the articles linked? Yes, one article did talk a lot about software, but it wasn't just software. Also FWIW, we won't know what is in block IV until after block IV is passed, we don't even know the full scope of the content that they are debating (secrecy and stuff).

"agile software" and incrementally upgrading the jet could mean adding hardware and software bit by bit. Add the SDB racks? add the SDB software. Add a twin AIM-120 rack in the internal bay? add the software for firing from the twin rack, etc.

From the article talking a lot about software:

The program office has laid out a total of 53 capabilities to be included in Block 4, which range from updated software to a suite of new weapons like the Small Diameter Bomb II.

Its not just a software update! There will be weapon changes/additions as well. We'll have to see if the 6x internal AIM-120s are included in those changes. There have been public statements to that effect as recently as a year ago, and no public statements contradicting it, so nothing is certain, but I still regard it as "probable". While the US has the F-22 (albeit in small numbers), the other F-35 customers do not, and will likely place a greater emphasis on the F-35's A2A capability. It would be good for the project in general to add the 6x AAM capability (which may also extend to 6x instead of 4x Meteor missiles)

The first Block 4 capabilities are set to be delivered in April, Winter said, but about 22 modifications will require the F-35 to undergo a set of computing system upgrades called Tech Refresh 3.

So some hardware modifications require software modifications, and vice versa.

I cannot find a decent copy of this mod with the garbage in the way. Im assuming this is not on the workshop officially, Sgt. Fuller, I am not reading 4 years of forum posts to gather intel. Tl;dr, but you have my respect and, as a programmer, I offer my services.
Reach out, Discord: Div3y3z#1878

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1552942331&searchtext=

Please signal this post i don't think it's yours. credits are not available on description.

2 hours ago, Othmane Niazi said:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1552942331&searchtext=

Please signal this post i don't think it's yours. credits are not available on description.

Hi thanks, this has been brought to our attention and has been dealt with. Thanks again!

This post is not to be misinterpreted as a question for release, but rather a fans objective opinion on this great modpack. 

I was very exited when I saw you guys start up work on USAF again, and still are! But now I have a sneaking worry about the possibility of releasing the update in the nearest future. 
Its great to see the extremely detailed objects such as the GBU's, but it has also given me a worry about the dev's burying themselves (and the mod) in never-ending detailed work.

Have no doubt! I would love to see this mod out in it's FULL glory (details, models and all else). But what I'd rather see, is the progression of the pack from its core release, and then further detailed updates as time goes. 

This is not in any way meant as a slight towards the dev's or a question towards release date, rather a fan expressing a bit of concern. 

Regards, a worried fan. 

• Like 1

No need to worry. I do see (and appreciate) what you're saying, but these guys won't get lost in the details, it is just a case of waiting...think of Christmas coming as a child, it'll be worth the wait! It will be released when they believe it is in a good enough state, and it'll be worth it. They are seriously busy in RL and do put time and effort in when and where they can. Keep the faith! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

I have a couple questions around the AC-130 in the upcoming release. 

1. Is the ac-130 and the script it uses (i dont know if you moved away from the current release script) compatible with multiplayer?  My unit tried re making a ac-130 using the same script, but when we tried it with 20+ players the camera and entire plane was very laggy and broken.

2. Will the UI in the "turret" view be updated or remain the same?

3. will it support ace re arming and re fueling? just ACE in general.

this last point is just a concern / Observation:

4. When i last used the mod, i found that the AC-130's engines would shut off to maintain a precise loiter, this lack of sound is a bit jarring, do you plan on "fixing" it? I understand if it isnt a priority

question. Maybe a part of this mod will be released with upcoming third-party dlc ?

My understanding with the new third party DLCs is they couldn’t be ‘updated versions’ of existing mods.

But maybe some of the talent in this mod could create an aviation pack? 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, duncandg said:

question. Maybe a part of this mod will be released with upcoming third-party dlc ?

No, we have not opted in the third-party dlc

• Like 1

On 10/25/2018 at 12:59 AM, Ex3B said:

How did you come to that conclusion from the articles linked?

Because I've been around long enough to know how Real World politics and money issue derail most everything in the defense world. 

Follow the money.  If there's enough padding (bribing) on whatever decision makers' side to "sell" the item then it will become reality.  Normally most decision makers look at things that may actually be needed in a few years and say "we don't need that right now".  USA is in a very similar situation to pre-WW1 "isolationism", although it isn't 1:1 exactly the same.  People more worried about who will win The Voice than actually concerned about increasing national security.  Still using the M4 M16, US Army airborne using hand-me-down USMC APC's, USMC doesn't have a next-gen amphibious APC, and so on and so on.  A real shame when you think about it.

So anyway when those people have to justify to their chain of command why did they spend the $$$ on some "needless" shit like extra missiles, it will get delayed or cancelled.  Its just the way the world works, unfortunately.  I personally think the entire F35 program is a royal Cluster Fuck but then again no one asked me.  :)  Personally, I will be pleasantly surprised to see "extra" missiles on the F35.

• Like 1

Well, lets not forget the money incentive... while US sales are guaranteed, unlike the F-22, foreign military sales of the F-35 are definitely a thing. Several countries have been considering F-35s, but most that are on the fence choose not to buy them, and go with Gen 4.5 fighters.

Also your statement was that there were no new weapons, when the article explicitly said:

The program office has laid out a total of 53 capabilities to be included in Block 4, which range from updated software to a suite of new weapons like the Small Diameter Bomb II.

So regardless of how politics normally goes, to reply to the article that says a suite of new weapons will be included by saying "OK so as I thought.  The "Block 4 upgrade" is NOT adding more missiles"... seems to be taking a leap (even if its not adding more missiles, its adding new bomb options).

And then of course there's all the development defense companies have put into missiles like the CUDA/SACM/MSDM missiles:

BNjrVYCCcAASXm0.jpg

Some info: https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/usaf-developing-next-generation-air-dominance-missil-437728/

Another source about those smaller missiles is available around halfway down this article:

http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/4678/is-the-european-meteor-air-to-air-missile-really-the-best-in-the-world?iid=sr-link1

http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/11092/israel-is-testing-an-air-to-air-variant-of-its-dolphin-nosed-stunner-missile

I don't know how tactically viable these shorter range missiles would be... seems they'd put the F35 dangerously close to its detection range... a loadout of 6x meteors (or even 4x if they can make 6x amraams but not 6x meteors work) would be much better.

As a "low observability" aircraft with so-so speed an maneuverability (as compared to say... a SU-35 or F-22), it should definitely try to do its air combat from a comfortable standoff range.

That said... if they can't quite make 6 AMRAAMs/Meteors fit (seems stupid that the US plans to develop its own meteor-style ramrocket design, rather than just use the meteor like our NATO allies will), they might be able to exchange the 5th and 6th amraams for 2-4 of these "half-raams"... which would also be an interesting loadout... 4 missiles in the 100 km range class, and 2-4 in the ~20-30 km range class (I think, the ranges for the Cuda/SACM/MSDM are very much up in the air at this point AFAIK)

Israel already plans to make significant modifications to their F-35Is ... Expanding the F-35's air-to-air magazine has been long a sticking point with customers for the jet, and there are some other notional solutions being floated, like Lockheed's Cuda

4 AAMs is not adequate for a large war, and it seems all the potential customers know it. They will either pair it with gen 4.5 fighters packing long range missiles like the meteor (fired with the F-35 spotting for the missiles with data link), or modify it themselves to hold more.

Hello all just wanted to put it out there. I am currently deployed to another country and without my laptop for the time being but fear not the grind goes on but please continue to be patient with us as the holiday season is upon us and we do have lives outside of Arma. Thanks for your understanding.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 3

On 24-11-2018 at 1:23 AM, SGT Fuller said:

Hello all just wanted to put it out there. I am currently deployed to another country and without my laptop for the time being but fear not the grind goes on but please continue to be patient with us as the holiday season is upon us and we do have lives outside of Arma. Thanks for your understanding.

No prob, stay safe!

On 10/10/2018 at 2:10 AM, raynor_d said:

Put together a teaser trailer for the first pack that will be released, the fighters: 

OMG I CAN'T WAIT! :D

On 11/7/2018 at 11:11 AM, jonas p said:

Its great to see the extremely detailed objects such as the GBU's, but it has also given me a worry about the dev's burying themselves (and the mod) in never-ending detailed work.

On 11/7/2018 at 7:10 PM, viper2511 said:

I do see (and appreciate) what you're saying, but these guys won't get lost in the details, it is just a case of waiting...

We also appreciate both your concern and confidence guys. It's definitely a balancing act. We keep coming across new stuff we'd like to add, but are pushing most of it back so the update gets released. I'm personally bouncing between fixes and additions to help avoid burn out.

The team has been quite busy with real life over the holiday, and some are still tied up, but work is starting to pick up again. Here's some work since the last progress update:

On the F-22:

Brand new stores MFD was added (weapon icons are up next):

sIhrxbt.gif

Vehicle arsenal canopy selection added and tail number/squadron markings were fixed (more squadrons after update):

nsfmWvcm.jpg

Engine and afterburner effects were overhauled:

nOuEdnV.gif

Refueling door was modelled:

r0VEs6P.gif

F-35 mfd fuel elements added:

IbKiLta.png

And A-10 blurred fans were added for high rpm:

5TGidqQ.gif

Of course a lot of work has also been happening on the core that's hard to display, but it includes major rewrites of the afterburner and GPS targeting systems, completing AA missile sensors and performance, and exposing configs for community authors to utilize our afterburner and service menu systems. 

• Like 24
  • Thanks 3

Its true that the update is taking quite some time. But everytime I see progress like this, I do feel like its worth the wait. You guys are really doing amazing work on this mod. And its so cool to see that you are sticking with it and persisting. 

My God,

The aviation modders are turning out some amazing stuff right now!

Well done guys, absolute top effort!