SGT Fuller

United States Air Force( 2015)

RE fuel capacity: I wouldn't lower it too low. Its trivial for mission makers to limit the amount of fuel in a fuel tank per mission to encourage refueling and such but its more difficult (not impossible) to do the opposite for scenarios where the mission maker wants longer loitering times.

I think you should, you could even make them unrealistically low, since air vehicles in general are pretty overpowered. Your choice in the end but I reckon a range reduction would definitely be more interesting.

I think its pretty difficult to say that air vehicles are overpowered. Especially extremely technologically advanced aircrafts like the USAF is using are just extremely powerful. And Arma is missing good Anti Air Systems like the S400 or Patriot.

• Like 1

I think its pretty difficult to say that air vehicles are overpowered. Especially extremely technologically advanced aircrafts like the USAF is using are just extremely powerful. And Arma is missing good Anti Air Systems like the S400 or Patriot.

Agreed. I don't necessarily think the aircraft are overpowered, more the lack of a real threat. There isn't really an intergrated radar system that encompasses both ground to air, air to ground and air to air combat in Arma. 

RE fuel capacity: I wouldn't lower it too low. Its trivial for mission makers to limit the amount of fuel in a fuel tank per mission to encourage refueling and such but its more difficult (not impossible) to do the opposite for scenarios where the mission maker wants longer loitering times.

Honestly, if a mission maker wants a pilot to loiter for hours on end, it would be more interesting for the pilot to do some aerial refueling.

@SGT Fuller you could also lower the base fuel count and increase the amount of fuel EFT's give ya.

You apparently have missed my SAM Pack that has both of those systems...

• Like 1

I agree with all. You don't want hourly loiters in my opinion it takes from the realism..a aircraft is up to do its mission and leave. I'm lowering it to about half or a little under that to give a reason for those who want those long loiters a reason to use the external fuel tanks.

Also yes pooks SAMs are beast.. Take me out 9/10 times lol

• Like 1

Yeah the SAM's are currently in need of some adjustments and they are about due for an update.  :)

Regardless, fuel capacity is difficult in this game because there is no "module" to accurately support fuel.  There is a single fuel rate, and that's that.  My pilot buddy told me that "bingo" fuel on an F15 is equal to 8 minutes of afterburner consumption, then you're landing.  At least, the plane will be touching the ground in one way or another :)  So how to model that correctly.  The stupid "action-based" afterburner scripts are IMO a waste without good fuel consumption.

I did try to model the drop tank scripts I made first for unsung then for other mods, so that the drop tanks will give you extra fuel (siphon fuel tanks action) then when you drop them, (another action), your overall fuel content is reduced by a certain percentage.  Complete with status lights in the cockpit.  However it is a rudimentary "hack" in that it only adjusts percentages.

A "real" afterburner module would take into account the throttle input and alter fuel consumption accordingly.  You go into full throttle, bitching betty should start yelling "BINGO, BINGO" until you let off. 

Then there's the question of mass.  A real loadout should make the bird much "heavier" and difficult to fly.  Current Arma engine limitations don't have any adjustment for this.  There is now a "setmass" command, but it may not do what I/we want it to do.  SO currently you can load any bird with unrealistic "airshow" loadouts that all the manufacturer's websites show as promotional pics.  The Real Life combat loads (e.g. 1 weapon per pylon in most cases) can't really benefit the plane.  SO every mod maker shovels as many weapons onto the birds as possible... and why not!  ;)  Since this game doesn't have a "DCS-style" flight model there is really not reason not to make every bird a "bomb sled" unless like me you enjoy the "realism" aspect (e.g. RTB to rearm in-between sorties).

So most of this assumes there is an advanced fuel management system.  The best way to adjust that with what we have is to put less fuel in the tanks.  If people want more fuel, they can add drop tanks instead of bombs, along with my drop tank scripts.  Which, BTW, if you want them let me know and I'll send them your way.  I think they are in the EF2000 MLOD folder, but if not I can dig them up.  The Unsung airplanes use them in one way or another when possible.

EDIT - the scripts ARE in my EF2000 MLOD stuff, if you want to take a look.

Roger that I will lower it

Awesome thanks Fuller, and can't wait until the next update. Always top notch stuff from you

Tom from Bohemia R&D dept made this fuel uptake script which is supposedly JIP sustainable.  http://tom4897.info/blog/2014/06/arma-3-scripting-increase-fuel-consumption/

It increases the fuel uptake taking into account the speed of the player vehicle. Only applies to when it detects a player and not AI which is good. Mainly for trucks but looked interesting. The islands are scaled down, the fuel ratings in most vehicles are pretty high. Keep up the good work all. Looking forward to the future.

Interesting... so it does a "setfuel" command based on criteria, which is probably the only way to do it w/ the current script language.  Good find!

Can we do something about the F22's standard loudout of 8 AMRAAMs? The F22 cannot carry that many. Also, there are several Gatling guns in the game that sound like single barreled machine guns. It has been a while since I checked but I am pretty sure it is the F22 and AC130 that have this issue.  

Can we do something about the F22's standard loudout of 8 AMRAAMs? The F22 cannot carry that many. Also, there are several Gatling guns in the game that sound like single barreled machine guns. It has been a while since I checked but I am pretty sure it is the F22 and AC130 that have this issue.  

I'm sure these are least of things which been fixed in next release. Expect more, Bro!  :f:

• Like 1

This issue has been fixed. I have taken time on each and every aircraft and gone down the list atleast 3 to 4 times to make sure everything is accurate to real life. I am currently going down the list my final time and i can assure you this issue has been resolved. 

• Like 3

This issue has been fixed. I have taken time on each and every aircraft and gone down the list atleast 3 to 4 times to make sure everything is accurate to real life. I am currently going down the list my final time and i can assure you this issue has been resolved. 

Maybe I had an issue during downloading? I will delete the mod and reinstall just to be sure. So have all the issues I mentioned been fixed or only one or two? In the case of the guns perhaps we have different ideas on what Gatling guns sound like (for reference here is what I think a 20mm Vulcan should sound like

)? Well I will reinstall and see what happens and get back to you. Seriously though, this is a really good mod and I just cannot wait for the next update. Keep up the good work and hopefully my issues get resolved soon :)

You reckon a Phalanx sounds the same as the Vulcans in planes? I don't think a Goalkeeper sounds the same as the A-10's Avenger either.

AC-130U now only has 1 weapons officer that controls all the guns and 1 tv operator that controls the laser and camera. Also the recoil has been fixed.

• Like 5

AC-130U now only has 1 weapons officer that controls all the guns and 1 tv operator that controls the laser and camera. Also the recoil has been fixed.

Awesome :D

Do you have any plans for any mirror other than Armaholic?

It takes me forever to download on Armaholic when it seems to limit large files to under 100 kb/s

Awesome :D

Do you have any plans for any mirror other than Armaholic?

It takes me forever to download on Armaholic when it seems to limit large files to under 100 kb/s

It will be hosted by others for sure. Like Arma3.de

It will be hosted by others for sure. Like Arma3.de

And probably on play with six 

You reckon a Phalanx sounds the same as the Vulcans in planes? I don't think a Goalkeeper sounds the same as the A-10's Avenger either.

The distinction between the Vulcan 20mm on a Phalanx and the aircraft mounted Vulcan is the rate of fire. And they sound very similar. Neither would sound like "rat tat tat" like what you would get in a single barrelled machine gun which is what I hear when I use the AC130 25mm and the f22s 20mm

Also F-35 cannon is very weak and small impact effect unlike F-22 cannon which is very strong.

The distinction between the Vulcan 20mm on a Phalanx and the aircraft mounted Vulcan is the rate of fire. And they sound very similar. Neither would sound like "rat tat tat" like what you would get in a single barrelled machine gun which is what I hear when I use the AC130 25mm and the f22s 20mm

I have a new sound for the gun for the AC-130

Also F-35 cannon is very weak and small impact effect unlike F-22 cannon which is very strong.

F-35 cannon will be on par with the A-10 since its supposed to replace it.