Sign in to follow this  
krycek

Total War:Warhammer

So yeah, CA is basically holding back one fifth of the game as pre order DLC. Fuck them.

OK making Chaos Warrior as a first day DLC is so low move that I don't know how they even dare. Chaos is the core race in Warhammer Fantasy. You know Chaos Warrior Harald Hammerstorm aka. "Harry The Hammer" is covering the first edition rulebook of Warhammer Fantasy.

Dude, it´s Warhammer made by CA! If past experiences are anything to go by this game will be chock full of DLCs. I´m not buying into this until there is a complete edition at a discounted price, if I buy it at all that is. I completelly skiped Rome 2 and Attila. CA is not getting any of my money until they start to deliver quality again with games that are not sliced up for DLC.

• Like 1

OK making Chaos Warrior as a first day DLC is so low move that I don't know how they even dare. Chaos is the core race in Warhammer Fantasy. You know Chaos Warrior Harald Hammerstorm aka. "Harry The Hammer" is covering the first edition rulebook of Warhammer Fantasy.

Yeah, but most Warhammer fans have aged many years since those rulebooks came out. They've all outgrown their attachment to silly tweenage Chaos factions.

*runs and hides*

I think it´s simply quite telling that they have the audacity to cut out a fifth of the game (base game will have 4 factions, that too is a new low for TW, I guess the rest will be released as DLC) and one of the most important (if not the most important) faction of Warhammer to use it as pre order bait or on disc DLC. There simply is no justification for this.

It's the fault of gamers,they shower them with money because they can't wait.The best way is like Tonci said,wait an year or more for a discounted all package offer.

Throwing money at them in the beginning to get every single dlc piece or preordering leads them to cut even more from games.

so apparently bretonia is an AI controlled faction

unfortunately same building and province style as in RTW2 :<

release 28.4.2016

• Like 1

Chaos Warrior DLC will be available for free also for people who buy it in the first week now, not just pre-Orders

Chaos Warrior DLC will be available for free also for people who buy it in the first week now, not just pre-Orders

Good move. I'll likely buy it in the first week.

I kind of suspect that either the ammount of incoming preorders became very low, or wasn´t as high as they hoped to begin with. This small initiative is a nice way to reap some free goodwill and project confidence that the game is actually good.

i preordered, just because with steam refunds system now you can preorder and just not play/install it until reviews come out. If they are good - play, if they are bad, refund ^^

This game will be littered with DLC in the future, i have no doubt about that (not just expansions with other races...  also DLC like 1-2 heroes, some wargear and thats it)... i'll propably play the base game and then wait 5 years or so until a combined GOTY cheap version exists. Not going to pay hundreds of moneyses for all the single DLCs.

Thats why i assume they decided - fuck it, we are going to get our DLC gold sooner or later. Let's earn some trust.

I am somewhat tempted to get this, not really my genre but IMNSHO Warhammer Online is the best game ever made - nostalgia and stuff...

PS WAAAAAGH!  :)

I really wanted to wait a year till all DLCs come out, but after watching tons of youtube videos and a friend of mine yelling at me how awesome it is (he finds everything awesome btw.),

I gave up and bought it, and so far im not disappointed.

Havent found any major bugs, I remember there was one thing that IMHO was not supposed to work the way it worked, but it was a minor thing and I dont remember what exactly.

As for balancing, I played only 8 hours so far and can't tell anything about it.

Content is the other thing though, with 4 + 1 DLC (really really bad decision to put CHAOS as a pre-purchase DLC race) races it looks kinda bland on paper. 

They do play totally different though. 

The Empire (you are bound to Reikland) is like your usual Total War faction, and is fractured from the start in best traditions of the Holy Roman Empire.

Your goal is to unite the Empire and defeat the Vampire Counts and Chaos. So far I have united half of the Empire via Alliances and Confederation in my SP campaign.

Confederation is a nice feature, when you are in a good relationship with an Imperial and your armies are strong, he can join you.

You get his lands and his armies under your control, entirely via diplomacy. It worsens your relationship with other imperials for a couple of rounds though.

Chaos dont have settlements so you have to keep pillaging to sustain your armies and Vampire Counts can raise cheap armies quite fast.

If a big battle with many casualties was fought, the number of undead you can raise in this region increases.

Havent played other factions yet.

WAAAAGH is actually a big thing, in my SP campaign a WAAAAGH has already razed one dwarf faction and is now rampaging in the territory of my Wissenland ally.

I have played two MP campaigns with my friend, one as Chaos and one as Vampire Counts both on normal difficulties. 

I lost the first one at round 11 due to a stupid mistake, I tried to attack a dwarf town and lost my army, was funny to see my Archaon The Everchosen, though he took his toll, getting his ass kicked by dwarves :)

During the second Campaign my friend played dwarf and got steamrolled by a Greenskins WAAAAGH, again some strategical mistakes were made and he paid for it.

Things I miss are other factions like Skaven, Wood Elves, Khemri, Norska and actual Chaos Gods with their respectable cults, warriors and demons.

Kislev and Border Princes have stock imperial units for now. Naval battles are not there (yet) too.

Guess all of it will be fixed with future DLCs and expansions, be it good or bad.

I also have an issue with the Heroes (former agents).

They can participate in battles now (wizards are especially nice to have) but no longer seem to be that important on the strategic level. 

But I havent played long yet so hopefully it will change later.

what i really hate is magic pocket-ladders ... it's just immersion breaking that every unit can just warp up the wall when it stands below it.

I take back my words about heroes/agents, they do become strategically relevant once they level up a bit.

And they help quite a lot in removing vampiric/chaos corruption. 

My Witch Hunter is at the moment busy hunting down all those Chaos agents across the map, a mage and a warrior priest are removing vampiric corruption from the conquered Sylvania and a captain is training an army in Grenzstadt (what a nice name :)).

At some point in the campaign, things looked relly bad for me. I had more wars than I could manage, low income, civil unrest, Norse raiders landing in my unprotected lands, rebellions and so on.

But now almost all of the Empire is under my control. I managed to push back the Chaos hordes in the north and have sent an army to help my Dwarven allies against greenskins in the south.

EDIT:

Another thing bugs me, why are there no more battles in unfortified cities, towns or villages.

They really felt different from usual battles or sieges in Rome 2.

Also Im not sure, but I think camp battles are missing too.

EDIT 2:

So at Round 110 I have won the Empire campaign on normal difficulty.

In the south I managed to help the dwarves to fight off the greenskins. 

During the final confrontaion in the north I had 7 own armies + garrisons against 6 chaos armies + occasional norse raiders trying to backstab me.

AND 4 armies of my bretonnian and dwarven allies were moving north and have almost reached the frontline destroying any norse and chaos armies which managed to get past my lines.

Speaking of Archaon, I have expected more from him, his armies came without any coordination and were slaughtered one after another. It might have worked against Kislev AI, but by then I had full control over imperial forces plus mighty allies.

I defeated him and his friends, rebuilt destroyed cities... and that was it. 

No epic ending cinematic like some would expect from a Warhammer game, just some text telling how the Apocalypse has been averted and eveyone can happily live with their lives now.

Next time Ill play on harder difficulties, and hopefully Chaos will actually feel more of a threat.

Speaking of Archaon, I have expected more from him, his armies came without any coordination and were slaughtered one after another. It might have worked against Kislev AI, but by then I had full control over imperial forces. Next time Ill play on harder difficulties, and hopefully Chaos will actually feel more of a threat.

I really liked the diplomacy in this game, In fact I won a lot more through diplomacy then through battles. The entire Empire was united by means of diplomacy while alliances and trade with Bretonnia and Dwarves have secured my flanks and bolstered my economy. I had to conquer Sylvania through force but all in all my armies played mostly defensive roles and were used to "impress" other imperials so that they would join me without a fight. Its the first time I played Total War this defensive way and I really liked it. Though I didnt play neither Attila nor Barbarian Invasion.

EDIT 3: one major complaint regarding battles is how ridiculously fast paced they are.

I have played some custom battles yesterday and got my ass kicked in most of them in a matter of 3-5 minutes if the armies were even.

Ranged units can fire one volley before the enemy charges into your lines and then the battle develops into a major clickfest.

You have to constantly pause the game to issue orders, which is rather immersion braking. Still there is little time for complex maneuvers after you deploy.

Thats not what I expect from Total War battles.

Thankfully there seem to be some mods addressing these issues, which Im going to try out when I get home.

And since the majority of people is complaining about it too on CA forums, lets hope it will be fixed later.

EDIT 4: all right my final edit for this post, I promise :)

Just played with the Proper Combat Mod by KAM2150, and I can finally enjoy the battles now, the pace is much slower and the battles feel like older Total War titles.

• Like 1

played greenskin campaign on normal. Got bored after it turned into a simple mop-up operation (even with chaos invasion going on - they are on opposite side of worldmap).

played Chaos Campaign on hard. The most frustrating experience i ever had in a TW game. Quit due to frustration after turn 140. Can't recommend buying the DLC if you don't have it already. Many flaws of TWW are exposed in this campaign (here my report)

Just finished the Vampire Counts campaign on normal with Radious mod (which slows and rebalances the combat and reduces the costs and upkeep for units allowing more armies) + Radious units pack.

Felt totally different gameplaywise than the imperial campaign.

Everyone and their mothers hate you from the start, so diplomacy is not really an option.

After counquering Sylvania I was under constant assault from the Empire and Border Princes barely managing to hold them back until Chaos happened.

Then my undead legions marched straight to Altdorf just to see it being besieged and sacked by Chaos hordes.

This time I wasnt trying to save the world from Archaon, I was using the Chaos invasion to easily conquer undefended regions or rebuild what was left after Chaos while everyone else was busy fighting off the invaders.

Playing an opportunistic bad guy felt quite refreshing.

Battle wise its quite different too, very often you have to rely on masses of weak zombies (meatshields), skeletons (flanking force), bats (great to occupy enemy artilley) and wolves (great to chase down enemy cavalry and skirmishers), so it was often my tactic to sacrifice hordes of weak units while heavy hitters were getting close to the enemy. All those monstrous creatures can really make a difference when properly supported by you general/hero. Vargheists and especially Varghulfs have proved to be quite effective at ripping enemies to shreds.

Strategically I also used the tactic of sacrificng whole armies of quickly raised zombies and skeletons just to keep an enemy army occupied in my unprotected backyard while good equipped forces were getting close.

Beastmen will be the first race DLC if you don't count the Chaos Warriors. 15,74€ if you pre-order and 17,49€ after the pre-order ends.

Warhammer has 15 main factions and after Beastmen there's 7 of them in the game. I'm wondering if everyone of the new race will cost that much when bought separately. I'm just interested about Tomb Kings and Wood Elves so I might buy TK expansion when it comes and maybe buy race bundle from sales when those likely come later.