opteryx

Al Ayadiya, Al Kut & other Iraqi terrain stuff

Opteryx is da man. I am so tired of seeing same buildings over and over again, it is really getting to me... this is like a fresh wind in the community. Keep it up Opt, you rock! Love what you do.

• Like 3

Just now, icebreakr said:

Opteryx is da man. I am so tired of seeing same buildings over and over again, it is really getting to me... this is like a fresh wind in the community. Keep it up Opt, you rock! Love what you do.

Indeed, I'm pretty sick of seeing all the same assets repeated constantly, I don't think I'd even bother trying to make a map if I couldn't create exclusive assets for it, and since no one else is making buildings I guess I'll have to do it myself.

1 hour ago, Rich_R said:

Those are some impressive looking shots!

what frames were you getting with the density of buildings seen in the pics?

There's an FPS counter on the bottom right in the screens, but that's not indicative of anything because they don't have any resolution LODs yet.

Seen, thanks!

75 FPS with the denser layout and without lod’s, nice!

Couple more WIP buildings, no grit texture yet.

NWRf79t.png

gIMvTtc.png

• Like 12

Kinda reminds me of the buildings from this TC's vids:

• Like 1

On 9/13/2021 at 9:09 AM, icebreakr said:

Those murderholes are just ... PVP hell

I hope they will be usable by AI too. But then again, with Opteryx behind the wheel, I think I don't have any reason to worry!

I'm not sure it's possible to make AI use murderholes, but it sure would be nice. I'll look into it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

unknown.png

Starting to get a good collection of buildings now, but still not enough to start mapping properly.

• Like 23

Looks truly amazing. Always nice to see actual new buildings in ArmA.

New mosque

mosque3a.png

mosque3b.pngmosque3c.png

And here's an alternate version for southern Iraq

mosque3d.png

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

On 9/7/2021 at 12:01 AM, opteryx said:

Indeed, I'm pretty sick of seeing all the same assets repeated constantly, I don't think I'd even bother trying to make a map if I couldn't create exclusive assets for it, and since no one else is making buildings I guess I'll have to do it myself.

Have you considered creating a timelapse of one of your creations? 
I personally struggle with the workflow of a full project, especially the arma related side.

Being able to see the full process from start to finish would help me, and I’m sure some others, over the finish line.

Genuinely, your work in ARMA is inspiring to me. I really appreciate all the work you put out for the community.

Some of my Experiments (pretty rough though)

Spoiler

S9GOV7F.png

vzeoIND.png

ymg2ojv.png

jfI950n.png

uQxJrmh.png

UPp0LWS.png

KkLuhWA.png

sY52jc3.png

E47zlwO.png

Io4Lyf0.png

ANmV5Vv.png

qa1QpCa.png

• Like 4

1 hour ago, k4ble said:

Have you considered creating a timelapse of one of your creations? 
I personally struggle with the workflow of a full project, especially the arma related side.

Being able to see the full process from start to finish would help me, and I’m sure some others, over the finish line.

Genuinely, your work in ARMA is inspiring to me. I really appreciate all the work you put out for the community.

Some of my Experiments (pretty rough though)

Hide contents

S9GOV7F.png

vzeoIND.png

ymg2ojv.png

jfI950n.png

uQxJrmh.png

UPp0LWS.png

KkLuhWA.png

sY52jc3.png

E47zlwO.png

Io4Lyf0.png

ANmV5Vv.png

qa1QpCa.png

Hey, those look amazing! Definately do not give up on these as I know the mapping community is starving for new architecture. What kinda style are you going for?
As for timelapse, dunno, that would be some work on it's own to setup so for now it's not really something I'm planning, also I have bad workflow habits and wouldn't want to really share that and have people interpret it as the way to do things. I'm pretty scatter brain when working so I'm all over the place.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, opteryx said:

Hey, those look amazing! Definately do not give up on these as I know the mapping community is starving for new architecture. What kinda style are you going for?
As for timelapse, dunno, that would be some work on it's own to setup so for now it's not really something I'm planning, also I have bad workflow habits and wouldn't want to really share that and have people interpret it as the way to do things. I'm pretty scatter brain when working so I'm all over the place.

Im realy into the indochina conflicts and even though there are quite a few good maps like cam loa nam or bluds PKL, there arnt a lot of urban assets from that region.

As for the workflow, i think the main issue i currently have is not knowing whats expected texture wise in relation to Arma.

like what size, how many, what goes on what texture (Exterior walls, Roof, Interior?)

Also detail, do i have model a door, shutter or roof tile and bake the detail. Or can i just use an img texture?

Not realy being familiar with the details of texturing, just makes me second guessing myself constantly.

Which doenst realy help moving forward.

community_center.png

Al Ayadiah Community Center

• Like 15

I'm a simple man. I see opteryx building screenshots & terrain teasers, I hit like.

• Like 4

h3_var.png

trying some texture variations, I call the left one kurdistan, middle syria and right iraq

• Like 17

Mad how simple colour variations could completely change the theme of the terrain, very nice

• Like 1

I was thinking the same thing. with a lot of these structures, by just retexturing them from cement/mud to red brick or cinder blocks and they could pass for india, south america, africa even, just about anywhere in the developing world. shaping up to be a rather versatile collection of buildings.

• Like 1

On 9/19/2021 at 5:48 AM, opteryx said:

I'm not sure it's possible to make AI use murderholes, but it sure would be nice. I'll look into it.

Man these look stunning. Youll have to forgive me as I know nothing about Arma building design but i do know that the more House Positions -generally the better. Is it hard and or possible to add positions directly next to murder holes as well as all the windows? AI mods can kinda take over from there to an extent if the position is baked in