opteryx

Al Ayadiya, Al Kut & other Iraqi terrain stuff

On 5/22/2021 at 11:30 AM, opteryx said:

Someone in Discord suggested I add red bricks to make a favela building and it worked not too bad with little effort.

favela.JPGfavela2.JPG

This will probably not make it into Iraq projects, but might make an alternate scheme of some buildings to make a south american building pack in the future. We'll see.

This is interesting! I had thought of exploring the idea of making a very clustered favela-like map in Arma before, but given how much work it'd take for all the object placement, I thought It'd maybe work best to be something in the style of Proving Grounds, as in, a really small map. There's a lot of slum-like buildings so it wouldn't be too farfetched of an idea, specially if you looked into making such a pack in the future.

As always, amazing work! These buildings look very professional and I'm very excited to see them in action once your projects are finished! Cheers!!!

• Like 4

I think the biggest issue you'd face is the AI's inability to navigate such a complex environment which is also a worry for my project in certain areas.

• Like 3

Yep, the AI in OFP/Arma series never liked cramped cities too much. If they aren't flat-out standing in one place and never moving, then they pass through walls/objects like ghosts.

...not that Opteryx needs to be told that, we all know he has way more than adequate experience in creating urban maps! :)

-redacted-

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

These look soooo nice!!!

Great work!

• Like 1

The houses, the shops, the mosque, the office building, the warehouses...

It all looks amazing, and more important, spot on for the Iraq! I've grown a bit tired of almost every Iraqi map reusing the old Sahrani assets, or (even worse) the Afghan mud-huts from Takistan. This is not only breath of fresh air, it's simply best looking Iraqi asset collection... ever?

• Like 1

On 6/15/2021 at 9:14 PM, krzychuzokecia said:

The houses, the shops, the mosque, the office building, the warehouses...

It all looks amazing, and more important, spot on for the Iraq! I've grown a bit tired of almost every Iraqi map reusing the old Sahrani assets, or (even worse) the Afghan mud-huts from Takistan. This is not only breath of fresh air, it's simply best looking Iraqi asset collection... ever?

Thanks dude! I'm always looking for suggestions/input and reference imagery so as a friendly reminder you can interact more directly with me in my discord. https://discord.gg/X7CeN9JnN3

• Like 1

So I've been pissed off for months now with how my buildings do not look very good under sunlit weather using Altis lighting, but thanks to a recommendation from kkcat I installed a mod that adds Livonia lighting and now my buildings look tollerable under sunlight.

unknown.png
gov._building.png

mosque.png

So in the future when I start mapping with these assets I will be aming to using Livonia lighting on my maps.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, opteryx said:

I'm always looking for suggestions/input and reference imagery so as a friendly reminder you can interact more directly with me in my discord.

I'll try to dig something up - see, when my HDD died in 2017, I've lost all the data regarding my OFP Iraq War mod, including the reference photos. Since then I'm religiously back-uping my work, but I haven't really got back to the Iraq War project.

FWIW: my mod was focusing on Karbala, not Al Kut, but the general architecture is still the same.

• Like 3

b29_1.pngb29_2.pngb29_3.png

New building testing cinder block decals.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2

Thought you quit on this project years ago, nice to see it's still being worked on.  Looks good.

Incredibly beautiful buildings. Amazing work!

• Like 1

Keep pumping out that fine work!

A few new houses

K4x4HFd.png

• Like 15

17 hours ago, opteryx said:

A few new houses

K4x4HFd.png

your work is admirable! Thanks for taking the time to do these. Looking forward to your project!

• Like 2

Neighbourhoods.png

street_view.png

parapet.png

Testing neighborhood buildings, getting okay variation with just 4 buildings, will be making more unique ones plus some texture variations of some.
Note: This is not mapping placed objects, just testing out stuff in Eden.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Opteryx.. your are a 3D Picasso when it come's to your work , absolutely amazing looking detail and work you pump out. Well done. 👍 

• Like 2

On 9/1/2021 at 5:05 PM, opteryx said:

Testing neighborhood buildings, getting okay variation with just 4 buildings, will be making more unique ones plus some texture variations of some.
Note: This is not mapping placed objects, just testing out stuff in Eden.

Those are some impressive looking shots!

what frames were you getting with the density of buildings seen in the pics?