Sign in to follow this  
lazerath

Question about gear-inventory, uniforms and AI, and ammo strength?

Hi folks,

I have a few questions I would appreciate some help with!

Question #1

As a player we have different options for the gear we can have our guy wear such as uniforms, vests and backpacks. It appears to me as though some of those gear store more or less objects in them. Example: some back packs can store more stuff then others and some vests can store more or less stuff then others.

My question to you is there a guide some where that lists all the different gear your player can wear and how much each piece of gear can hold?

Question #2

In the campaign or player made missions if my player can get ahold of an enemy uniform and wear it, will it help me get near/closer to the enemy without/before they attack me verses wearing my factions uniform?

Question #3

I don't know very much about the different ammo sizes and there strengths vs each other. Could some list them in order from strongest to weakest or vice versa for me? (Talking about ammo for infantry guns, not launchers or other weapons)

Thank you for your help in advance! I love this game, good job Bohemia, all the modders and others who help support it and make it the best fps sandbox game in the world (My opinion)!

For #1 and #3 you can go into 'Learn' > 'Virtual Arsenal' from the main menu, and looking through the gear in there will show you various statistics about how much space the various backpacks hold, and what the stats are of the different rifles. I think that should answer all your questions if you take a look through there.

For #2, sadly no, as switching uniforms is something that is not supposed to be ever happening in RL (against the Geneva convention I think?). There are various hacky ways around it though if you are still interested; some mods let you access all uniforms from arsenal/boxes (Unlocked Uniforms is the first one that comes to mind), but even with that, enemies will not recognize that you are wearing their uniforms. You'd have to either use a mod, or edit a mission (or use Zeus, which is what I do) to set the players to 'captive' (ignored by enemies) until they should be discovered.

Virtual Arsenal is the place the learn about it. There is a little bar graph below the item you selected. The armour and stuff you can carry corresponds well with my experience in the campaign. The virtual soilders will wear the same loadout as you do so you can test out how protective a certain vest or uniform is.

When it comes damages done by bullets, it is complicated in real life. It depends on the energy of the bullet and how it's transfered to the target. The first part is basically it's kinetic energy: 1/2*m*v^2.

The speed matters - the slower it travels, the less damage it does. But then again, even a ricochet or over-penetrated bullet, if they hit the unlucky target, can hurt and kill. In ArmA, bullet slows due to air resistance, and ricochetting or penetrating materials slows it down a whole lot. The barrel length also affect the bullet speed now, longer barrel gives a faster bullet speed. Attaching suppressor also increase the speed a bit. Whether these effect can give a noticable effect, however, is another thing.

Mass of the bullet also matters but that is not something readily available for us to see. Generally, larger caliber gives a greater mass as the bullet is larger. Generally, I said, as bullets can vary in length, and thus giving a higher mass even with the same caliber. Case in point would be the VSS Vintores, having a longer bullet compared to the 9mm pistol round, is said to be able to penetrate some body armour at 400m, despite actually being subsonic.

I hope those may help you get a sense of the bullet's energy in the game. I can't really give an absolute answer about their energy without digging into the config files. But if a generalisation is really needed, I'd say within the same category (ie, between pistols, or between assalt rifles for example), a larger caliber means more energy.

Thanks for the replies.

As far as being against the geneva convention and it not supposed to happen in real life, thats a mistake.

Terrorists do it all the time (wear enemy uniforms to infiltrate the opposing side). It happened in ww1, ww2, and most major cpnflicts since. So to me that should be part of the game. USA, Russia, Vietnamese, Alqueda (not sure on spelling lol), ISIS and many other countries/factions have all employed this strategy in wars.

I will check the virtual arsenal out but I was actually looking for a list/guide but I suppose nobody has put one together.

As for question number 3 I think my question was misunderstood. What I was looking for was something like this:

Strongest to weakest round chart

50cal

Listing the rounds from strogest to weakest or vice versa. That way I know which weapon in general is more powerful then the next etc. That way I can choose the right weapon for each mission etc. I have no idea which is stronger except 50 cal being one of the strongest except for the new marksmen weapon that shoots a subsonic 50cal round.

Cheers

Thanks for the replies.

As far as being against the geneva convention and it not supposed to happen in real life, thats a mistake.

Terrorists do it all the time (wear enemy uniforms to infiltrate the opposing side). It happened in ww1, ww2, and most major cpnflicts since. So to me that should be part of the game. USA, Russia, Vietnamese, Alqueda (not sure on spelling lol), ISIS and many other countries/factions have all employed this strategy in wars.

I will check the virtual arsenal out but I was actually looking for a list/guide but I suppose nobody has put one together.

As for question number 3 I think my question was misunderstood. What I was looking for was something like this:

50cal

Listing the rounds from strogest to weakest or vice versa. That way I know which weapon in general is more powerful then the next etc. That way I can choose the right weapon for each mission etc. I have no idea which is stronger except 50 cal being one of the strongest except for the new marksmen weapon that shoots a subsonic 50cal round.

Cheers

That's pretty much your list right there, within each calibre I have no idea but very much doubt it makes much difference in an actual mission. .45 pistols are pretty powerful, the 9mm pistols are weak. The 9mm SMGs make up for the weak round with a high rate of firepower.

As for the uniforms the stated reason is "Geneva Convention"-the most likely reason is AI problems, at the moment AI do not have sophisticated rules of engagement, they know if someone is friendly or enemy, they can only check if they're supposed to fire or not (there is a fire when fired upon setting as well). For example if you introduce wearing enemy uniforms you have to consider what point the AI realise you're enemy, when you're not in the right area? When they get close to you? If your face is from a different type to theirs (e.g. white guys compared to persian faces, opens up a whole new can of worms when you want a mixture of people on each side)? Then you need to consider the fact that it's ridiculously easy to nab a uniform in game (if they were unlocked), I very much doubt you'd stop in a firefight in real life, take off your helmet, vest and boots, switch clothes, put that stuff back on, while in game a right click and suddenly any new enemy have no idea if you're friendly or enemy.

I'm pretty sure that the enemy would be really suspicious of a random guy dressed as one of them who isn't on their comms net, isn't in a known friendly location, and doesn't speak their language. Of course, for less organized forces such as the FIA or ISIS or whatever it has sort of worked in the past (SF dressed as insurgents), but only because no one saw them or if they did they were dead shortly after.

Weren't the Bis guys just at a gaming conference talking about Geneva protocols & ethical war-game design?

--We still have anti-personnel mines, tho that falls under a separate treaty.

Still, no doubt our modders can create all the mayhem anyone could hope for.

First of all I don't buy the bs about it being against protocals.

US special forces and most other countries DO use enemy uniforms in conflict and its been happening since ww1, ww2 and most other conflicts including Afghanistan, Iraq, and currently in the Ukraine by Russia. As far as people noticing faces, come on guys. In war you don't know everyone and like I said its proven fact they all do this, only uninformed and naive people don't know or believe this!

Anyhow, moving on!

50cal

Okay, does that look like the correct order of strength for the rifle rounds? I checked in the virtual arsenal and I think I have it correct. Could someone confirm this?

Thank you in advance!

First of all I don't buy the bs about it being against protocals.

US special forces and most other countries DO use enemy uniforms in conflict and its been happening since ww1, ww2 and most other conflicts including Afghanistan, Iraq, and currently in the Ukraine by Russia. As far as people noticing faces, come on guys. In war you don't know everyone and like I said its proven fact they all do this, only uninformed and naive people don't know or believe this!

Countries like Nazi Germany and Japan under Hirohito did and Russia may still do this and violated or violate the international laws of war. However, soldiers applying these tactics aren't protected by the laws they violate and therefore risk execution. US special forces in Afghanistan and Iraq can't use enemy uniforms because their enemy is an irregular armed force who do not use uniforms in the first place. If they did they were a regular army and easy to distinguish from the local civilian population.

50cal

Do you mean .338 instead of .308? 9,3mm is stronger than .338 but less precise. I made a list for vests and uniforms and put it on the steam forums but not everything is up to date. I'll wait for the next main branch update because it will most likely change a lot of mass values. You can find it here: http://steamcommunity.com/app/107410/discussions/19/617329150703398110/

Maybe russian forces can wear "little green men" unmarked uniforms as in Crimea?

Or the "vacationing russian soldier" uniform they wear in Ukraine & Syria?

Purely for realism's sake, of course.

Edit Post: Not sure how I posted the same thing twice. Removed double post and responding to another post!

Do you mean .338 instead of .308? 9,3mm is stronger than .338 but less precise. I made a list for vests and uniforms and put it on the steam forums but not everything is up to date. I'll wait for the next main branch update because it will most likely change a lot of mass values. You can find it here: http://steamcommunity.com/app/107410...9150703398110/

Yes, typo was my fault. I meant the .338. So it goes after the .408. Thanks for the info guys!

50cal

12.7mm

.408mm

9.3mm

.338mm

7.62mm

6.5mm

5.56mm

9mm

Okay, that should be correct now!

Thank you!