Sign in to follow this  
dontknowhow

Star Wars Battlefront: impressive trailer

But that's a tech demo, doing that in a full game is different.

Well, yes and no. I mean that was in game DX12 (says the guy at 1:43). The only thing holding it back would be extra performance penalties. Which is basically the reason why I was wondering about physics and AI. Not sure if there is something else in a game that takes resources. Sound maybe? It can't be so much worse with all these things added.

Someone from Gamespot was brave enough to state that demo they saw does not look as good as the "In engine" trailer.

Interesting. They say it still looks good. I wonder on what machines they played; it's not impossible that EA used 4-way Titans like Square Enix, but that thing is a monster

Interesting. They say it still looks good. I wonder on what machines they played; it's not impossible that EA used 4-way Titans like Square Enix, but that thing is a monster

No, DICE created the trailer at extremely high resolutions with oodles of AA at unplayable framerates and then downsampled it.

they do that for the screens also, they admitted to it when people asked why BC2 "Gameplay" trailers were so clean looking as compared to the actual game using the most powerful hardware available.

I can't link to the statement because it was on the old EA UK forums which is now long gone.

The June 2015 PC gamer also makes it clear that what they saw at the demo and what the trailer looks like are not the same.

the Aliasing on foliage is very noticeable.

Patrick Bach stated that many of effects in the trailer are not currently possible in realtime.

It's only a few Youtubers who are drooling over more exclusive footage and Ronku cash that comes from a major release like this who are

claiming it looks as good as the trailer.... Star wars, Star trek.... big money to be made on those IP's.

people will say anything to guarantee a slice of it.

Remember BF4.... Youtubers kept their mouths shut about the condition of that game and then babbled a bunch of excuses after the Ronku payola scheme leaked out.

anyone who didn't tow the EA line found themselves no longer invited to events.

Edited by jblackrupert

anyone who didn't tow the EA line found themselves no longer invited to events.
Entertainment industries in one sentence.

Entertainment industries in one sentence.

Yup, and a former EA CEO is on record stating EA will pull ads from magazines and sites that don't give them at least the minimum score they are happy with.

Of course, one could wonder how many smaller companies would in fact behave that way if they had the market share and "big time"-ness to get away with it as EA does... probably more than some here like to believe.

Edited by Chortles

Of course, one could wonder how many smaller companies would in fact behave that way if they had the market share and "big time"-ness to get away with it as EA does... probably more than some here like to believe.

Valve just gave developers power to ban users from their Steam games.

That's not going to end well.

Remember all the Youtube accounts being nuked for "Copyright infringement", including TotalBiscuit nearly losing his

over bad reviews.

Yup, and a former EA CEO is on record stating EA will pull ads from magazines and sites that don't give them at least the minimum score they are happy with.
Reminds me of an anecdote about pre-Disney LucasArts 'core meetings' under president Jim Ward:
“It would be the type of thing where a team would show a build and [Ward] would say something like, ‘Alright, [Quality Assurance], based on the playthroughs what are we rating this right now?’ And it would be a 22-year-old QA person who showed up late and was sitting at the table that answered. He would say something like, ‘84,’ and Jim would say, ‘That’s not good enough. What gets this game to a 90?’ QA would nervously say, ‘Oh, adding online co-op,’ which is not at all in the schedule or budget, and Jim would say, ‘Let’s look into that.’ The dev team wouldn’t know how to respond to that. That addition wasn’t in the books. We became this forum for democratization, but nobody really had any idea of what was going on. At the same time, nobody wanted to tell the truth, because they didn’t want Jim to lose it and fire a water bottle across the room.â€

Reminds me of an anecdote about pre-Disney LucasArts 'core meetings' under president Jim Ward:

Not sure if that was the same story, but I vaguely remember reading something from a game developer about a meeting he described as being nothing more then facing off with psychopaths in suits.

Not sure if that was the same story, but I vaguely remember reading something from a game developer about a meeting he described as being nothing more then facing off with psychopaths in suits.
Nah, "Fall of the Empire" didn't characterize any of the bosses that way, but three paragraphs above that anecdote is the suggestion that such an attitude may have been influenced by the fact that LucasArts got away with that sort of thing in Battlefront II, leading to the brass (Ward specifically) taking the wrong lesson from such a success-in-spite-of-itself... though the description of his "release date über alles" statements reminds me of BI's handling of Arma 3 after the reboot. :eek:
I don’t understand why video games can be late. When Industrial Light and Magic works on Harry Potter, they don’t have a choice to be late. The movie’s going to open. The effects have to be done. You don’t get it. There’s no choice. So I don’t understand why we get in this situation where games can be late.

Concerning EA, I'll repeat myself:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/laurengensler/2015/05/05/electronic-arts-fourth-quarter-earnings/

things won't change, EA will keep doing what it has been doing so far, except for the fact that the next battlefield will probably have less bugs. There is no point in bashing EA. Yes, it's about money. What do you expect, a company with some heart?

Concerning the video, I am actually looking more at Square Enix now (aside from the fact that I'm wondering what kind of machines were those PC Gamer and Gamespot looked at). There it is clearly said it's in game engine. And it's real time, with the guy changing position and lighting. That does mean something.

I don't trust EA, but if this is the standard that DX12 is bringing us the real game can't be so bad... if you have a 4 way Titan. At least visually.

I would consider it if it offers a 'flight sim' style mode, even if a lighter version of 'X-Wing Alliance', but read somewhere that the new Battlefront won't.

So I went to great pains to re-install X-Wing Alliance and make it work on Windows 8.1 - nostalgia galore!

I wish there will be something XWA with state of the art graphics in the future...

It just shows how stupid the whole money gambling system we call stock exchange and all the analyst's with their "crystal balls" are...

It shows that they make money, and that's what counts. If someone is stupid it's the people giving money.

It does look nice though. This has already been posted:

But this one hasn't, I think:

Anyone knows what are its requirements? If you can run BF4 and ARMA 2, should you b able to run Battlefront on low settings??

I would think, if you can run A2 on very high settings, then this won't be a problem.

Ram glorious ram, rice krisppies and chestnuts.. I'll go take my tablets now.

Honestly, from all the gameplay I saw.....this looks like call of duty with a star wars theme. Sniper rifles that do exactly 90 damage no matter where they hit, super fast health regen, grenade spamming, floating power pickups that let you spawn in a vehicle (vehicle controls are terrible), spawns all over the place so that you get shot in the back constantly, etc.

Even the Walker assault mode on Hoth has severe issues. The spawns are ridiculous. Players in a AT-ST can get over a hundred kills by camping the rebel spawn. The empire wins 95% of the time (wich is not wrong in itself, but the rebel team should be awarded with more exp for playing that.)

Angry joe has a video explaining and showing some of the issues

And why are they asking full price for a online only game? There is no SP campaign!

Yeah , pretty much a weird mix of Call of Duty/Battlefield in SW theme

btw Luke Skywalker sucks xD , Dark Side FTW

Unlocks and all that stuff... Well maybe those things give the game couple more hours life span... No class system, everything is big mess... Jet packs everywhere... Personal shield available for everyone, that should be Droideka thing... Regen heath and unlimited ammo... Why in the hell there even are these power-up things... Where is the front line feeling because it's all skirmish insta-action... The amount of content the game has looks pretty low...

BattleDutyFieldFront. Visual and sounds are very nice but that's it. It just looks like a boring insta-action game that only difference is the Star Wars set and the whole soul of Star Wars and Battlefront have been thrown in a trash bin. Then let's make some weak DLCs and stuff to squeeze every dollar they can.

(vehicle controls are terrible)

They seem squarely geared towards gamepad users (read: console players). I can fly the starships alright with the PS3 controller I have plugged in to my PC, but using the keyboard+mouse is beyond horrible.

But yeah, my overall impression has been that terrain look gorgeous but the gameplay is a total mess; just throwing respawns and power-ups all over the place. There's no ebb and flow, or any kind of structure to the action at all.

They seem squarely geared towards gamepad users (read: console players). I can fly the starships alright with the PS3 controller I have plugged in to my PC, but using the keyboard+mouse is beyond horrible.

But yeah, my overall impression has been that terrain look gorgeous but the gameplay is a total mess; just throwing respawns and power-ups all over the place. There's no ebb and flow, or any kind of structure to the action at all.

They seem squarely geared towards making money, which is their only goal. I find this particularly funny:

http://www.gamesradar.com/battlefield-star-wars-skin-safe-if-you-just-want-make-money-says-dice/?tag=grsocial-20

"You could have done Battlefield with a Star Wars skin; that would be safe," he says. "That would be the sane and sober thing to do if you just want to make money. That’s the money-grab; go for it. But that’s not very strategic in the long term

Yeah so instead of reskinning BF (wich funnily enough would at least mean better gameplay in my book), they went for a weird Call of Duty meets Battlefield mix......

If you listen to people who played this, the overwhelming majority will say that the game has great graphics, great sound (although they don´t deserve much credit for that because you simply can´t fuck up sounds in a Star Wars game if you use the Lucas Arts Sound library) and great atmosphere. But that sensation wears off after an hour tops and then it gets a bit boring, with really bad gameplay, really shitty loadouts, terrible spawns and balance, and really bad gameplay design.

Add to that EA asking full price for an online only game and the inevitable shitload of DLCs....I wouldn´t buy this on release....