Sign in to follow this  
dontknowhow

Star Wars Battlefront: impressive trailer

Coming from Slashdot, where they say it looks like a movie. I wouldn't go that far, but it does look amazing.

The video says "game engine footage". I would assume this means it's not prerendered. But what can I know, it's EA after all

Coming from Slashdot, where they say it looks like a movie. I wouldn't go that far, but it does look amazing.

The video says "game engine footage". I would assume this means it's not prerendered. But what can I know, it's EA after all

And since it´s EA they will use the opportunity to milk the crap out of it. This will be DLC paradise. (And I honestly think that this is another BF4 reskin with a few new force and melee mechanics on top)

And since it´s EA they will use the opportunity to milk the crap out of it. This will be DLC paradise. (And I honestly think that this is another BF4 reskin with a few new force and melee mechanics on top)

True, true. Yet it doesn't make the trailer less impressive. I only have BF3, and it doesn't nearly look so good. Not sure how BF4 is, but i read it's not very different. Sort of BF 3.5.

I don't dispute the great moral qualities of EA, i just wonder if those qualities can push EA to publish a prerendered video saying it's game engine footage.

The difference being that EA would actually get Battlefront to ship at all, unlike Free Radical's Battlefront 3...

Three items that stand out:

• No space battles, any vehicular combat will be atmospheric
  • The "game engine footage" is supposed to be representative of the PS4 version
  • Both special vehicles and characters are made available via collecting power-ups in the match

Heh, this is marketing speech in action :o It's explicitly not saying "In-game footage" as it is probably in fact pre-rendered within the Frostbite engine. Nonetheless, it's most likely going to look very good!

I don't think its pre rendered, the overall lighting looks more reminiscent of games than a movie styled cutscene, and the characters (especially vader) you can see how the surface is composed of normals and not computer destroying geometry that would be in a cutscene esque trailer, not to mention very subtle texture artifacting. I think its footage in the engine with ingame assets but stated as engine footage because the game itself likely will not play out as you saw (all of those animations and things of that nature).

Looks drop dead gorgeous, gotta give DICE props for all the care and attention, biggest concern is of course "how is EA going to screw it up."

Looks drop dead gorgeous, gotta give DICE props for all the care and attention, biggest concern is of course "how is EA going to screw it up."

The force is strong with this one.

Most likely answer is it being pressured to come out too quick because of the dire need to recoup the development cost fast... Wait a minute that sounds familiar...

@ Tonci87: scrolled past as soon as I saw Jimquisition.

they clearly say "not actual gameplay" at the end, but if by "game engine footage" they mean it's prerendered I would say it's pretty lame, even for EA.

Maybe they mean "you will need 4 workstations and 16 Titans to get this".

That said, it's hard to me to believe people can preorder just because of a trailer, especially if it's an EA game. I must be very naive.

Not sure what these guys are thinking. Both buyers and sellers

Two words: "Star Wars". Mind you, you would think that people would have learned from prior Star Wars-themed game flops, but in practice a lot of Star Wars fandom is either more casual than you'd imagine, or gravitated towards specific aspects of Star Wars collectibles and thus weren't necessarily as "overexposed" to Star Wars-themed games before, giving EA an opening... oh, and as said before, the footage is apparently just "staged using Frostbite for the imagery" -- that is, it could be trailer-exclusive animations -- even if it looks as good at release.

Two words: "Star Wars". Mind you, you would think that people would have learned from prior Star Wars-themed game flops, but in practice a lot of Star Wars fandom is either more casual than you'd imagine, or gravitated towards specific aspects of Star Wars collectibles and thus weren't necessarily as "overexposed" to Star Wars-themed games before, giving EA an opening... oh, and as said before, the footage is apparently just "staged using Frostbite for the imagery" -- that is, it could be trailer-exclusive animations -- even if it looks as good at release.

In-engine means it´s basically an engine demo. Nothing you saw in that trailer is representative of how the game will look or play. The Traler had special animations, effects, dense vegetation, all things you won´t see like that in the game. Why people still get hyped by this?

A:They are stupid/gullible

B:They have a very vivid imagination (wich means they will be really dissapointed at release)

C:They are young and don´t know better, or they are new to gaming.

D:They are starved for a good Star Wars action game (Could SOMEBODY (other than EA or Ubisoft) make a good Jedi Knight game again? Please? Anybody?)

Who ever get´s hyped by that Trailer is one of those things.

Edited by Tonci87

Pah, all those young people with their near-realistic render trailers and shiny games. I'm gonna go back to Dark Forces.

Pah, all those young people with their near-realistic render trailers and shiny games. I'm gonna go back to Dark Forces.

Oh ya, Dark forces I and II, that was great games.

Edited by ProfTournesol

In-engine means it´s basically an engine demo. Nothing you saw in that trailer is representative of how the game will look or play. The Traler had special animations, effects, dense vegetation, all things you won´t see like that in the game. Why people still get hyped by this?

A:They are stupid/gullible

B:They have a very vivid imagination (wich means they will be really dissapointed at release)

C:They are young and don´t know better, or they are new to gaming.

D:They are starved for a good Star Wars action game (Could SOMEBODY (other than EA or Ubisoft) make a good Jedi Knight game again? Please? Anybody?)

Who ever get´s hyped by that Trailer is one of those things.

I'll not lie, I fall into category D, I'm aware of frost bites capabilities but I know that what is shown cannot possibly be actual footage, its either too fluid or too fast paced (which is a bit of a shame because that is exactly what battlefront was, both games had combat more reminiscent of 90's quake and unreal tournament minus the weaponized rocket jumps). And I won't lie, I'm hyped, I love star wars and have since I was a kid, it is one of the few things I get excited about these days, I've become so "bleh" to the games industry that I haven't bought a full price game since Far Cry 3, and the only games I have ever pre-ordered ever were Arma 2 and Arma 3.

There's nothing wrong with getting hyped as long as it is tempered with knowledge and understanding. Yes I'm excited but I am well aware of how publishers love to screw things up, which is why despite my excitement I will be waiting for videos from Total Biscuit, Angry Joe, and various gameplay videos so that I can decide for myself if the gameplay is appealing and holds some resemblance of the original that I enjoyed so much.

Edited by NodUnit

Yeah I too would fall into category D if I was hyped for it, but I know this is EA and I assume that it will be a gameplay experience like BF with blasters. I love Star Wars too and I think it´s a damn shame that they declared everything post EP6 non canon just so that they could have an easier way of making up the story of this movie and it´s inevitable sequels (this is going to be a new trillogy). That sucks!

But hey, I know what I read, saw and played. So far they didn´t prove that their story is better than that so they can go and stick it where the sun doesn´t shine until they do.

Edited by Tonci87

The main gripe I have with this Star Wars Battlefront game is its gameplay focus and target audience - A new Battlefield within the Star Wars IP, essentially. And even the general manager's statements underline that.

The whole idea of building a Star Wars Battlefront game is about two things. First of all, it's called Star Wars Battlefront for a reason, so [we're] going back to the roots and the core ethos of that.

"In some ways you could argue it's close to what we've done before--because it's something awesome and people want that--but in other ways it was like no, let's go down this route because it fits with the IP, it fits with what Star Wars stands for,"

People will more easily be able to understand the differences between Battlefront and Battlefield once they finally get to play it, Bach said.

Yeah and that difference is going to be the art assets...

No campaign, no space battles. What's going to be left of Star Wars are the groundbattles - Battlefield style. Sadly I expect nothing more.

What would have excited me is reliving the Star Wars story from a new perspective and actively influencing and playing it out yourself. But oh well, Battlefield has been bringing in money and so we're most likely going to get BF4.5 Star Wars Edition

Yeah, this time they aren´t even bothering to implement a campaign (wich could have been awesome! Playing a Star wars game from a grunts perspective, that would be cool.) wich of course keeps the production cost very low. EA will try to maximize their profit as much as possible with this one by reusing the engine and doing as less coding as they possibly can.

Exactly how I feel about this:

^^^ all this

Oh ya, Dark forces I and II, that was great games.

Agreed. Too bad Rogue One is going to be "undoing" it most likely which is a shame because Kyle Katarn is probably my favorite SW character.

Please tell me someone remembers how epic xwing and tie fighter were all those years ago???

Please tell me someone remembers how epic xwing and tie fighter were all those years ago???

Those were games I always meant to play but somehow didn't -much like Ghost Recon. Tie fighter used to get rave reviews and I could tell Id be all over a redux (if kept in tact)

Edited by froggyluv
stupid phone spellcheck!

Those were games I always meant to play but somehow different -much like Ghost Recon. Tie fighter used to get rave reviews and I could tell Id be all over a redux (if kept in tact)

They were so well done... managing shields and weapons. Raiding rebel supply routes... the last expansion had you flying as Vader's wingman... truly inspired games.. as stated on this thread... the Renaissance is over in favor of micro transactions. ..