biggerdave

MagazineGroup standard?

'lo folks.

Is there a standard for magazineGroups? I had a poke around some of the stable branch configs, and as far as I can tell, BIS haven't actually implemented this into the official content yet - unless I'm just being an idiot and overlooking something obvious. (tending more towards the latter than the former)

I would assume it should be something like this:

Calibre_SomeDescription

Ie,

556x45_STANAG

545x39_AK

762x54_SVD

and so on and so forth.

BI hasn't needed that in their own weapons so I'm not surprised if their weapon configs omit it, but TL;DR: groups would simply be named in the magazines array of the weapon config (it supports both groups and individual magazines), so where you ought to check is the magazine config's magazineGroup​ array.

BI hasn't needed that in their own weapons so I'm not surprised if their weapon configs omit it, but TL;DR: groups would simply be named in the magazines array of the weapon config (it supports both groups and individual magazines), so where you ought to check is the magazine config's magazineGroup​ array.

Well, by that logic, no one needs it. Given that BIS have a bunch of Stanag rifles, you've got to admit it does seem like a pretty weird thing not to add.

I checked Weapons_f cfgmagazines, and none of them have magazineGroup[] set up, and none of the default rifles in Weapons_f have any magazineGroups in their magazines[]. So, either, it's not implemented or it's overwritten somewhere else (the only place that'd make sense I haven't checked is the marksman DLC ebos, and no one's getting into those anytime soon :p )

Edited by BiggerDave

MagazineGroups is almost pointless until BI implements it on their own mags so that the community can follow in their footsteps. I hoped for a community standard when this feature was first introduced on dev-branch but I could not even get magazine groups to work within my own mod so I gave up.

Has anyone been able to even have this working ? Tried to set up some magazineGroup configs and it looks like this is not working in 1.42.

I think it's time to file a bug report Robalo. No one seem to have been able to make it work yet. This feature should be in 1.42 stable. It was pushed to dev-branch long before release of 1.42 stable according to the changelog.

I just fixed magazineGroup and forwarded it to the devs so they can integrate it.

I'd say for a standard we could go for ASDG. The ASDG Joint Rails standard is wildely approved and used in many weapon mods today.
So https://github.com/CBATeam/CBA_A3/issues/108 should make the standard. With magazine groups we don't even need a dependency on any Addon.

• Like 1

Hey folks.

I was just experimenting with my first mod, with the intention of adding a very 'vanilla' 556x45 subsonic stanag.

Stumbled across the github page describing that magazine wells have now been implemented, though I haven't yet figured out how I would add a new magazine to these?

Any advice?

I'd also like to know if any convention was agreed upon for naming.

Cheers, 

Law

7 minutes ago, lawman_actual said:

I'd also like to know if any convention was agreed upon for naming.

No. That is the reason why BI didn't make it public yet.

You could already use the CBA standard. But that is veeeery likely to change once the BI standard is out.

• Like 1

Ah well, at least someone's trying.

Anything you can offer on magazine wells/groups?

I still don't see any related parameter in the cfg's I've looked through

Thanks again,

Law

Thank you Ded, this is exactly what I needed.

So just to be sure I understand correctly...there is currently no way for me to make this magazine I have made (and which now appears and can be moved in game) compatible with vanilla weaponry without modifying the CFG of the weapons themselves?

And if I'm doing so...is there a way for me to append my magazine to the existing array of magazines, rather than overwriting the field?

I'm just thinking in terms of compatibility with any other mods that would add new magazine types to said weapon.

Cheers,

Law

23 hours ago, lawman_actual said:

compatible with vanilla weaponry without modifying the CFG of the weapons themselves?

Correct.

23 hours ago, lawman_actual said:

And if I'm doing so...is there a way for me to append my magazine to the existing array of magazines, rather than overwriting the field?

Yes. Just look at how CBA does it.

https://github.com/CBATeam/CBA_A3/pull/928/files#diff-a59084d33a95ff61239e5b86ef372144R8

Here they add their magazine group to the mk20.
https://github.com/CBATeam/CBA_A3/pull/928/files#diff-ddb5c69e174931ad1c5d4a5d93f8a28bR19

And here they define which magazines belong into that magazine group.

• Thanks 1

Have CBA not yet implemented their magazine wells?

I have just loaded CBA_A3 and examined some wepons and magazines, but have not found any reference to magazineWell or groups.

On 4.7.2018 at 7:33 PM, lawman_actual said:

Have CBA not yet implemented their magazine wells?

I linked you a unmerged pull request. If you had read the discussion in there you'd also know why it's not merged yet.

Apologies, I'm not entirely familiar with the way CBA structure things on github...and I also had a massive headace after trying to figure things out for many hours.

I'm sure you've been in a similar position before.

Thanks for the clarification though.