Sign in to follow this  
MachiViBritannia

WIP - Digital camouflage uniforms

Hello, I am currently working on my first addon.

It will be a simple re-texture of existing items, I have currently made 4 camo templates to work from. One of which will be applied to some vehicles. Please keep in mind that the colors will be faded and worn when I implement them into the models to seem less bright and color-concentrated. (I am open to opinions for color changes or pattern scale changes)

Urban (Needs some improvements)

2u4pv03.png

Mediterranean (Main infantry uniform)

m79yth.png

Littoral environment

30xfjic.png

Vehicle Dazzle

2r6pb7o.png

Something "simple" you should attempt is to splitt the pattern on the clothing seams. 90% of the people trying reskins forget this important step and it makes the overall result feel like there was no effort included at all.

For Vehciles it is the other way arround as they mostly, not always, get painted in an assembled state.

Something "simple" you should attempt is to splitt the pattern on the clothing seams. 90% of the people trying reskins forget this important step and it makes the overall result feel like there was no effort included at all.

For Vehciles it is the other way arround as they mostly, not always, get painted in an assembled state.

Already working on it with GIMP, although I would love some opinions on the patterns themselves. I have tried them on the AAF uniform and they seem to work decently around Altis and even Chernarus. I will start working on a more precise version of it soon.

---------- Post added at 11:19 ---------- Previous post was at 10:00 ----------

2qvfgjr.png

My extremely slow progress ._____________.

Okay, some feedback on the camo in general.

There is about 3 main ways of camo, Possitive Space, Negative Space and Neutral Space.

Possitive Space are the brighter patterns, with the dominant color beeing the brigest or most neutral (see MARPAT Desert) which are used to conceal the object or individual against more solid backdrops such as Desert or Buildings.

Negative Space is the direct opposite and mostly used for woodland or jungle based patterns. Here you have the medium color dominate with a lot of splitting with the darkest color and minor highlights inbetween.

Neutral is just the inbetween thing, see Multicam.

So based on that it is hard for me to find an intended purpose for the camo you placed on the texture as it appears to be rather Neutral with a light dominance of brighter colors. It feels misplaced as woodland camo to me, it would potentially work better with less saturated colors. For a pretty nice colorfitting take a screenshot of the intended areas of use and place them in one document. Then change the image mode to index color and enter the ammount of colors you wish for in your own pattern, then colorpick and make happy panda face.

For the CO texture i would advise to take the normal map of the texture you want to change, make a greyscale of it and place it in your CO texture workfile, that way you have a plain grey to work with as background for the pattern itself and can use blending modes to give the texture more depth and contrast.