Sign in to follow this  
IceFire

Sniper sim

I was wondering if there were any games out there that were strictly about snipers.

I mean like OPF is about soldiers.

Like a realistic sniper sim.

Where the balistics are realistic, the damage system is detailes are realistic.   (This would be obligitory since shot placement is very important in sniping)

I know OPF has sniping, but it is too unrealistic.  It could be ALOT better.

Any ideas?

only STRICTLY sniper game i know of is Silent Scope which isnt a simulation at all

Well, it doesn't have to be strictly sniper based.

But I am looking for the most REALISTIC and THOROUGH sniping in a game.

Silent scope is an arcade...and the gun was bolted to the machine..ouch...

on PC, the closest i can think of at the moment is, "Deer Hunter" tounge.gif

I'm not looking for a game that is strictly just sniping.

Just a game that is the most REALISTIC and THOROUGH and DETAILED sniping.

There is alot that goes into Sniping.

They should make a sniping sim game the way they make flight sims.

The origional "Police Quest: SWAT" (the first in the series, I think it was released in 1996) had very realistic sniping where you have to adjust them dials on the sight and everything. I found the game very difficult to understand so I stopped playing.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RalphWiggum @ Oct. 05 2002,00:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Silent scope is an arcade...and the gun was bolted to the machine..ouch...

on PC, the closest i can think of at the moment is, "Deer Hunter"  tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

it came out for ps2... ahh whatever

Hmz, Delta Force 2 is pretty cool, it isn't very realistic but it has some of the best sniping action that i've ever seen. The multiplayer really rules, the snipers have ghillie suits and stuff like that. You can shoot with the .50 Barret or with the M40, not much choice but it's good enough. You also have to zero your scope to shoot accurate. You have bullet drop (course zeroing your scope avoids that) and stuff like that. It's an old game, the graphics don't look very good but i can guarantee you that it has some of the best action i've ever seen....

Delta Force 1 was cool, Delta Force 2 was supercool and the rest isn't that good confused.gif

In the newest DF games you always have a great amount of weapons (snipers: AW, .50 Barret, M40, M24, PSG-1,maybe more, can't remember) but the problem is that you can spot a sniper that is 1000m away from you, basically they look like a black dot on a light brown mountain. Very very easy to spot. In DF2 you had grass, ghillie suits and stuff like that. In the newest DF games you can spot a man that is prone on a mountain 1000m away, in DF2 it's rather hard to spot a sniper even when he's in an open spot at a decent range. Even without a ghillie suit it is hard to spot sniper: tracers (if they are on), movement and the sound of the rifle are the most important things to find snipers...

Very very nice game, the best i've ever played....

You might consider buying it, find someone that has the game and that wants to get rid of it and it's yours... My game doesn't work anymore, very sad because it's a great game and i was an excellent sniper and assaulter...

The Problem with Police Quest SWAT though was the games length.

Because it was a mixture oF FMV and Static backgrounds, the CD's (Four of them from memory) mostly contained video's, so the game only had the training, and four levels. Only one of which was Sniper based. (Ie. you qualified as a sniper, and then the next call-out could be the one where you acted as a sniper)

Certainly each level had 2 entry points you could be given, and a host of events that could happen (The suspect surrenders, Shoots another officer, Goes to shoot you... etc.) But it just wasn't long enough.

You call the sniping in that realistic?

You can sniper perfectly while standing, you dont suffer bullet drop and its just not realistic, plus you only have one sniper rifle.

I've been thinking about that too...

My idea was that if some one could make a Ghost Recon total conversion mod confused.gif

I think it might have some potential. You'd have to add every little piece of detail there is about sniping, tracking, choosing your targets etc...

Choose your:

-rifle

-caliber

-bullet type

-amount of powder

-camouflage

-misc. gear

Plan your approach, pick a camp place, pick right target, plan various escape routes...

...and then run like hell !!!!!!

Sounds fun don't you think smile.gif

I think the OPF engine would be better suited to sniping than GR. GR ranges are far too short, from what I know, military snipers rarely work in the ranges that they do.

The OPF mod should include:

Proper Range finding

Windage adjustments

Elevation

More camo options

Differing rifles with differing MOA

An assortment of bolt action and maybe a few semi-autos

Realistic bullet trajectories

Realistic sound travel.

Sure that would make sniping much more complex and harder, but then if you were good enough, you could realistically hope to hit someone at 800m or so. And the rewards for the kill would be so much more satisfying... biggrin.gif

I own a sniper rifle, and think of myself as an amatuer sniper....more like a sharpshooter..because I haven't gone through any sniper courses. Anyway, yeah DF 2 was good sniping, but too easy to kill someone, you can have the crosshairs off to te side and still get a kill. OFP has good sniping, if you've got the hardware to crank of the view distance. The reason I like sniping in OFP is because of the terrain, and because each weapon has a unique feel (i.e. M21 handles much differently than the Drugonov.) Adjusting windage and elevation, and calculating mil relation formula would be to much of a pain in the ass in a video game.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RaptorAce @ Oct. 05 2002,06:56)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RalphWiggum @ Oct. 05 2002,00:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Silent scope is an arcade...and the gun was bolted to the machine..ouch...

on PC, the closest i can think of at the moment is, "Deer Hunter"  tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

it came out for ps2... ahh whatever<span id='postcolor'>

may not have been a realistic sniper sim but it was kinda fun and neat to look in the scope and see everything close while everything on the screen was from a distance.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (USSoldier11B @ Oct. 07 2002,13:55)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Adjusting windage and elevation, and calculating mil relation formula would be to much of a pain in the ass in a video game.<span id='postcolor'>

True, but then again the skill requirements would even out the gameplay naturally. I mean if not, then the sniper would overbalance MP games.

And the options of adjusting would give the game an authentic sniper 'feel' about it.

Hmm 1.85 patch has a resistance sniper. Hopefully he will have a fine, fine, accurate bolt action rifle..... smile.gif

In DF3 land warrior I ended up in Multiplayer with 2 sniper armed with .50 guns...

Me only had an G-11...

Slow bullets I had then they shot me only to experience the 15 rounds come towards them in a high speed.

In games my sniping suck! CS i train with the AWP but it ain't my thingy.

Give a machine gun!!! Perfect for me.

I've played the DF series. Wasn't very impressed...poor graphics, uber-poor AI. Wouldn't be a good platform for the 'Ultimate Sniper Sim'. sad.gif

What about sniping in Ghost Recon?

I remember hearing something about there being great sniping realism in Ghost Recon. That one can customise your own ghillie suit, to select your own scope, rifle etc, realistic balistics, and realistic body damage models etc.

Is this true?

i thought Hitman had a good sniper mission ware you had to make a hit from roof top. the rifle won't stay still so it makes it sorta difficult.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (IceFire @ Oct. 09 2002,19:29)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">What about sniping in Ghost Recon?

I remember hearing something about there being great sniping realism in Ghost Recon.  That one can customise your own ghillie suit, to select your own scope, rifle etc, realistic balistics, and realistic body damage models etc.

Is this true?<span id='postcolor'>

Umm, not really.

The graphics are comparably better in GR for the ghillie suits, but that's because the maps are so much smaller.

No, i don't think you can customise your scope/accessories although there is a variety of different sniper rifles. There sure isn't bullet drop/ballistics from what I can see, unlike OPF.

As for damage, that bit is realistic. Unlike CS..

Any1 interested in making a true sniper sim mod for OPF?

biggrin.gif

Nope, GR's sniping is pretty dissapointing. The scope is just like in Rogue Spear, that is there is no actual scope, you are just really zoomed in. No cuztomizable ghillie suits, and no customizable weapons, although they do have a pretty good selection of rifles (or say they do, but since you can never actually see it in your hand it doesnt much matter lol)