Sign in to follow this  
travhimself

[Guide] ARMA 3 Optics Visual Guide

favicon.png

arma3optics.com

With the Marksmen DLC having just landed, I decided to spend my Saturday afternoon whipping up a little guide to the various optics available in the game.

It's published under Creative Commons, and the source is available on Github if anyone is interested in contributing.

If you don't want to contribute code but you DO want to make a suggestion/addition/correction, feel free to post here and I'll do what I can to incorporate your changes.

The Devs just corrected the magnifications (numbers) or they reduced the zoom on scopes?

missing one nightstalker view mode..nice job btw

The Devs just corrected the magnifications (numbers) or they reduced the zoom on scopes?

corrected

The magnification numbers still seem a bit odd. What are they relative to and how do they compare to real life?

Also, why does the Mk17 show a magnification of 1-2 when it's a holo sight?

missing one nightstalker view mode..nice job btw

Hmm... just double-checked, and I'm only seeing four modes: "VIS", "NV", and two "TI" modes. Is there one I'm missing?

---------- Post added at 11:23 ---------- Previous post was at 11:20 ----------

The magnification numbers still seem a bit odd. What are they relative to and how do they compare to real life?

Unfortunately you'd have to direct that question to the BI devs -- I'm just going by the data provided in-game. I don't have enough real-life experience shooting with optics to understand exactly how magnification is measured.

Also, why does the Mk17 show a magnification of 1-2 when it's a holo sight?

Again, just going by what you see in the UI. If you equip the scope on a weapon and mouse over it, it says "Magnification: 1x-2x." I think they do this because you can use your visual acuity thing (hold right click) to get a deeper zoom level; and the zoom in/out hotkeys work for the Mk17 just like they do for other scopes. (Although... visual acuity also works for the ACOs, but the ACOs don't have a zoom level listed...)

Maybe someone could file a bug report on that.

Edited by travhimself

Again, just going by what you see in the UI.

Which, unfortunately seems to be not accurate at all, it's a standing issue in the feedback tracker here.

http://arma3optics.com/img/favicon.png

arma3optics.com

With the Marksmen DLC having just landed, I decided to spend my Saturday afternoon whipping up a little guide to the various optics available in the game.

It's published under Creative Commons, and the source is available on Github if anyone is interested in contributing.

If you don't want to contribute code but you DO want to make a suggestion/addition/correction, feel free to post here and I'll do what I can to incorporate your changes.

r

i am doing something similar but with all the content. weapons, vehicles, comparasions of the weapons with graphics and more

really nice work, and nice css design. :bounce3:

I hope i'm not being rude as this is your guide not mine.

MK17 HOLOSIGHT SMG reticle is incorrect. It should be the same as ACO SMG (RED) after 1.42 update.

In addition you could probably add C and D for the AMS scope as the different camo variants have a different style backup reticles.

These are just suggestions but,

if you want to make a guide how to actually use these sights you should make photos or a video showing the how the reticles are zeroed.

For example where to hold your RCO if your target is 100 meters or 200 meters away. Some of these are not straight forward so more detailed guide for all of these would be appreciated.

Here is an example, Dsylecxi made this guide for the RCO, nothing for other optics tho.

Edited by 1911Shields