makhno

New Map : GOS Al Rayak

Played it yesterday on my server... Worked like a dream! Hopefully ALiVE team will add it... This and Kunduz are my 2 fav maps at the moment!

Bien joué!

D-Day

This a really good map. It has an interesting feel to it, similar to Clafghan, but with out the soul destroying mountains. Great Job!

LOL! It DOES remind me of Clafghan, probably my favorite map of all time. And yeah, I agree about the mountains :D

@Makhno, do you intend to get this on the Steam Workshop? The automatic updates are sweet, especially for mods and addons that are getting frequent updates.

Thank you a great map !!! a question ... it would be very good if the taxiway to runway would work yet ..... thank you and continued success .... I love big airports !!!

There's some problems with road alignment all over the map and there's grass on the runways of Al-Safyrah airport and Al-Tabqah airport (http://i.imgur.com/ijvZrTH.jpg), the one that is North of Al Vegh (http://i.imgur.com/9nuIi82.jpg). The grass continues outside of draw distance down the runway.

On a final note, the dams are oddly placed, they don't really do anything. Dams are supposed the be blocking water but none of them really are.

---------- Post added at 23:56 ---------- Previous post was at 23:22 ----------

There's also an oddly placed boathouse south of Dayr-Hafir (http://i.imgur.com/IdIZoTe.jpg). Other than questionable placement, as I can't be sure what you imagined it'd be used for, it also clips into a tree.

Flying around the map is gorgeous though.

---------- Post added at 00:40 ---------- Previous post was at 23:56 ----------

And if I may, some dirt paths would be great in establishing a bit of personality to your map, mostly the more traditional villages with no roads or parking space.

For a first release of this map, it looks great. Had a few of my friends wanting to play a mission on this than GTA V tonight.

Hopefully this spot will remain empty because I just built a MOB for my template.

2015_04_14_00005.jpg

2015_04_14_00004.jpg

This spot is designed just for that :)

Great map. I like how you went with a coastal Middle East locale like coastal Iraq, Lebanon, or Syria. But you ought to change at least six things.

1. Make at least one of the seaport and adjacent city very big (i.e. an industrial port).

2. Add infrastructure like oil wells, plants, and other industrial facilities (remember more oil=more like of a chance 'Murica will invade it).

3. Make a railroad line with stations connecting the major cities and towns (I'd suggest using Taviana's railroads as a template).

4. Make the cities bigger (at least Zargabad size) and add larger more modern buildings them (you could use buildings from Lingor for this) as well as government facilities such as administration buildings, a presidential palace, statues and murals honoring some dictator, and military bases.

5. Cut down on trees and green vegetation by at least 50% (especially with the cities).

6. Try and add as many enterable buildings as possible,

Edited by extracrispi

Im loving it so far, the vegetation placement, buildings, etc. Very nice as always keep it up

Let me chime in and say what I like the most: the size and that you have some mountains or highlands. Also like urban and city area. Don't be afraid to leave some spaces here and there to give mission editors some freedom.

Keep up the good work!

This is really awesome, love maps with those wide open rivers for sling loading boat's into the water from the CH47. :)

Glad to also see some bridges. It's sad that most A3 Modded maps don't include bridges!

Edited by MrHuachuca

Great map. I like how you went with a coastal Middle East locale like coastal Iraq, Lebanon, or Syria. But you ought to change at least six things.

1. Make at least one of the seaport and adjacent city very big (i.e. an industrial port).

2. Add infrastructure like oil wells, plants, and other industrial facilities (remember more oil=more like of a chance 'Murica will invade it).

3. Make a railroad line with stations connecting the major cities and towns (I'd suggest using Taviana's railroads as a template).

4. Make the cities bigger (at least Zargabad size) and add larger more modern buildings them (you could use buildings from Lingor for this) as well as government facilities such as administration buildings, a presidential palace, statues and murals honoring some dictator, and military bases.

5. Cut down on trees and green vegetation by at least 50% (especially with the cities).

6. Try and add as many enterable buildings as possible,

I dont really need to even say anything his suggestions are agreed upon by myself and my whole unit. You really on onto something special and we wish you luck and are looking forward to the next iterations!

There is alot of grass on one of airfield lines. Can't recall which one...

There is alot of grass on one of airfield lines. Can't recall which one...
There's some problems with road alignment all over the map and there's grass on the runways of Al-Safyrah airport and Al-Tabqah airport (http://i.imgur.com/ijvZrTH.jpg), the one that is North of Al Vegh (http://i.imgur.com/9nuIi82.jpg). The grass continues outside of draw distance down the runway.

All of the airfield im guessing :)

--

And can i do also "request" i like the map.. but you have that big militairy island SW what is basicly only airport.. but for militairy logistic actions.. is it possible to add a dock to that island..

So we can use boats for the logistic like transporting a Slammer tank (to heavy for chopper transport) and using a c130 just for crossing the water.. is logistic only a fuell waste.

*Srry for my english.

@Semper :

Good Idea, I'll keep it in mind.

All of the airfield im guessing :)

No I checked, assuming there are only 4 airfields then only the two have grass. Unless I missed an entire airfield.

No I checked, assuming there are only 4 airfields then only the two have grass. Unless I missed an entire airfield.

Yes you are right, sorry..

The SW and the NE airfields (The big militairy airfields) are as good as working normal, the allign of road, grass and airlane on NE may be a.. "weird placements" bug.

But the smaller civillian airfield has grass on it.

The grass on the airfield is i think related to the order in which the system processes the surface colors in the Mask.

There shouldn't be grass here, and there is no grass on the mask.

this "bug" is fairly common, only most of the times it's not noticed because it does'nt take place in a specialy visible area.

I'll try to redo the mask changing the colors code, when i find the time to do so.

Any news on the update to eliminate the grass on the fields? Also I only found 3 airfields; where is the 4th one? Other than the little issues with the grass on part of the runways on 2 of the airfields I would use this map fast for an ALiVE setup.

Hey Makhno,

the map is really great, we just noticed one problem while playing!

The Southwest Airfield on the Island is a little bit buggy or something, choppers explode randomly on their parking spots in front of the hangars?

I think they glitch in the ground or someting!

Could you take a look at this?

I can´t find any solution to this, so i think it comes from the map itself?

Desty

Does anyone have a high definition map I can use to display troop locations for this area? I love the map but I need something I can use to brief my people with.

Thanks

Killzonekid (on his blog) is detailing the first steps ( http://killzonekid.com/arma-scripting-tutorials-how-to-export-topography/ )

If you want to create you own maps, follow step 1 through 6 from Killzonekid's tutorials then:

- open the emf file with Irfanview (http://www.irfanview.com/ )

- reduce to 256 colour selecting only the "best color quality" option

- save as PNG with the max compression ratio (ie 9)

• Thanks 1

Hey Makhno,

the map is really great, we just noticed one problem while playing!

The Southwest Airfield on the Island is a little bit buggy or something, choppers explode randomly on their parking spots in front of the hangars?

I think they glitch in the ground or someting!

Could you take a look at this?

I can´t find any solution to this, so i think it comes from the map itself?

Desty

Are you using the RHS hueys? Those are bugged on dedicated servers.

Are you using the RHS hueys? Those are bugged on dedicated servers.

I´m aware of this issue!

No, happend to RHS AH64 and some other Mods, but i fixed the issue.

Just spawning all helicopters with 0.3 elevation, they drop on the ground and everything is fine.

@Mahkno - thanks for yr work ... great map .. I enjoy it ... will plan missions on yr ground !!

Edited by Spoor