Sign in to follow this  
zukov

ponds.... are arrived

I hope Deanosbeano accepts donations because that is definitely worth some :D I wonder how much time it took him seeing how 'hard' it was according to BI.

They are still not perfect 100% yet though:

Known issues:

You must understand before using that there are 3 important unfixables that must be taken into consideration before using these are as follows :

(1) You cannot swim along the surface you must dive down and swim below the water

(2) you cannot drive through unless you are going slow "Q" for default "W" &"E" or turbo will give crap result

(3) most important You cant use two of the same ponds in a mission /terrain or the graphic glitch will appear*

I hope Deanosbeano accepts donations because that is definitely worth some :D I wonder how much time it took him seeing how 'hard' it was according to BI.
How hard it was to get "engine native", you mean -- players might not notice #3, but they'd absolutely notice (and give BI hell for) #1 and #2.

A question for you guys, and dont take this the wrong way, but aside the eye candy if you will, can you guys tell me what is the excitement all about, about having ponds on a map like Altis?

I mean imo other then scenic values, you cant do anything with them otherwise, i guess, depends on what a mission maker has in mind.

It's more about the ability to get them onto maps besides Altis/Stratis.

A question for you guys, and dont take this the wrong way, but aside the eye candy if you will, can you guys tell me what is the excitement all about, about having ponds on a map like Altis?

I mean imo other then scenic values, you cant do anything with them otherwise, i guess, depends on what a mission maker has in mind.

by me, is a gameplay reason, with ponds you have bridges and other features that help to create tactical maps

by me, is a gameplay reason, with ponds you have bridges and other features that help to create tactical maps

Exactly-also maps like chernarus had and podagorsk had large lakes and dams which really added to the experience.And judging from the dry lake with a dam at one end on altis ,it was meant to have it aswell.

How hard it was to get "engine native", you mean -- players might not notice #3, but they'd absolutely notice (and give BI hell for) #1 and #2.

True. I could live with the first issue but the other two can be quite annoying. Lets just hope this provides some incentive for BI to completely fix them soon.

I had a quick play with placing a few ponds on Altis and the results looked mindblowing. I think this is an important mod that proves that inland water is possible on A3 maps. If I could only work out how deonsbeano actually did it I'd have a go at making a few really small ponds to see if I could simulate puddles and streams in wet weather.

Take a look at these:

They are fully operational. You can swim above and below the surface. They work as well as swimming in the ocean pretty much. im going to make a video showing exactly how to produce these ponds yourself and the two options you have. I'll get that video up probably later today or tomorrow.

• Like 1

Anyone feel up to doing a tutorial on how to get these working in a new terrain? :D

One thing I failed to mention in the video is in the roadway Lod add the texture in data_f\surfaces called surf_water_co

Any one know how to get the ponds to show up ingame?

This what I done:

* Place dbo_Ponds unbinarizd in P: Drive

* Placed one pond in Terrain Builder and it looks fine in Buldozer.

* Placed dbo_Ponds.PBO in my modfolder same as my island is in.

I start the game and the pond dont show up ingame on my island!
Help please.

In deanosbeano release thread on armaholic he write:

(a) Essentially its the A2 chernarus water pieces and made for my own port of Chernarus and as such anyone with the proper export data fromchernarus A2 and knowledge of Terrain builder A3 can simply add thes as a library template and they will import as normal because the naming is unchanged

Not sure what that export data is.