Sign in to follow this  
rekkless

Does anyone kind of feel like buying the Marksman DLC was a donation?

Happy to support Bis. Are they perfect ....of course not... are they better than most... in my estimation yes... hence the support :)

If you're complaining about 20 dollars, please get a job.

Too young or still busy with school? Run an errand if you really want this DLC.

Yup you have to work for something you want, nothing is for free and certainly not in this industry.

Buying the DLC shows your support to one of the few remaining game developers who care about their community and who realise how important their trusty ol playerbase is.

BI rocks!

So this isn't in the slightest a complaint about the Marksman DLC.

But after paying $20 odd (Australian Dollars) for what I (we) got I really don't think I got my moneys worth.

Now perhaps it is because in the Arma community we are totally spoilt for free weapons, uniforms and mods but i really didn't find using the DLC for the first time all that overwhelming or impressive. There really was no 'wow' moment that I would have probably gotten had the DLC been $5-7.

I mean I wouldn't ask for a refund I've gotten close to 800 hours out of Arma 3 which is more than 3 times more time than the next closest game on steam. So I'm perfectly happy to chip in a show support to a company who has made a great product.

But I honestly feel like I paid $5 for new weapons and a $15 donation or pat on the back to Bohemia Interactive like I was buying a red ribbon from the Red Cross or something.

I mean Overkill (the guys who make Payday 2) are famous for releasing weapons packs every other week and they get flack for charging $5-$6.50 for their weapons packs that contribute about the same amount of content and also offer up free platform updates.

I know the rest of the update got bipods, new sounds, virtual garage etc. etc. but I would have had those regardless and while I'm not dissatisfied with my purchase I really don't think I or anyone else who got the DLC really got their moneys worth in a raw consumer comparative sense. And I am having a really hard time recommending the DLC to my squad outside of the whole "Support the guys who have made this great platform" speech.

I suppose it comes down to what I said earlier with being spoiled by free Mods. If everyone just had 100% vanilla the content would seem substantial, maybe not $20 substantial but it would feel like they added a lot to the game. But when you have a 40 mod collection with weapons packs like RHS, SMA and HLC it becomes a lot harder to see the value in your purchase.

Again this isn't a bash at the DLC, everything BI did with it they did to a very high standard. What is in the DLC looks great, sounds great and handles well, just that there really isn't much of it for the price you pay. Kind of like a really expensive dinner at a high end hotel; I've spent a lot of money on a 3 course 'fine dining' experience but I leave the establishment still hungry and have to stop off at McDonald's on the drive home.

But does anyone else feel like they more or less made a donation to Bohemia Interactive getting the Marksman DLC or am I delusional?

personally with the bundle i think it was worth it, though personally helicopters dlc was a bit of a mistake with only 2 birds that were paid for seems underwhleming at best, 7 guns, bipods, remote controlled designators, ghillie suits and new armor was worth the price of marksmen dlc.

"Does anyone kind of feel like buying the Marksman DLC was a donation?

Me? No. And i would pay for mods too.

So many of you guys are missing the point. It isn't about "Is $20 a lot of money" "Can I afford $20 for DLC" "BI has bills to pay" "Show your support"

It is about VALUE. Do you honestly feel as though your $20 actually bought something, bought a product that was worth $20. Regardless of how you feel about BI, is the Marksman DLC worth $20 (or 20 euro, $15usd whatever).

If it were EA and this was a DLC for Battlefield do you think it would be worth it? If this was Rockstar and this was a DLC for GTA V would you feel the same way? Regardless of who is a triple A title house and who isn't.

Again I am personally not unhappy with my purchase, I haven't and never will ask for a refund or claim I was ripped off. I knew full well what I was buying.

Now I could make a thread claiming we were all ripped off, or we all over paid and asked opinions on the matter. But I know the loyalty the community has toward BI and I as well share that same passion for the products BI bring to market. But aside from how you feel or how BI operates do YOU on a OBJECTIVE manner feel like the $20 was worth the content you paid for. Not including the free stuff everyone got, but just the content you paid for.

If not then does it not feel like a donation to BI. Because I can tell you ALL for a fact. If it were EA, Rockstar, Valve or anyone other than BI. I would not have bought the Marksman DLC. But it is because I want to support BI and see the ArmA title develop more and grow and give them a platform to later develop ArmA 4 I don't mind paying $20 for the DLC. Hence it feels like a donation.

Just like I wouldn't pay $8 for a box M&Ms at my local supermarket but when a kid from the local school comes buy selling $8 boxes of M&Ms for a school fundraiser I don't mind over paying or donating for something when I want to show my support for something. It has nothing to do with what I can or can not afford it all has to do with value and what you get as a consumer for your dollar.

I bought the bundle way back, so I think Marksmen is worth what I paid for it, which probably worked out around £7.50. I don't think it's worth the full price (£10.99). I don't really care about most of the guns, and the AAF didn't get anything new. I hate those dumb vests they added (though they came for free anyway, but they're still Marksmen content). The free FFV showcase was way more fun than the Marksmen showcase, and it was co-op too.

I still would have bought it at the full price if I didn't have the bundle, but I would have frowned at it first. I would have looked at it as paying for BIS's work on deployment & resting.

Be happy that they decided to release the game in the state that they did, would you like a game all hard coded without your say ?

At least this way they can have our input and change things as they see fit. Some people would beg to have the opportunity we have.

I feel ya tho, they did release the game incomplete and are now asking for money for what should be just added, but the world isn't free my friends.

Be nice if they would get headstrong on some AI improvements.

The free FFV showcase was way more fun than the Marksmen showcase, and it was co-op too.

Damn. Sad to hear this about Marksmen showcase. I have been wondering why there are no threads about it in Official Missions forum area. :icon_sad:

Time for official A3 mission pack!

Time for official A3 mission pack!

Hear, hear!

:drinking2:

Well, tho it's not "pay-to-win" --it sure the hell is, "pay-to-not-be-annoyed".

I'm ok with the watermarks;

I'm ok with the 'buy-box' on the right of the screen;

But the banner blocking my aim every 10 minutes or so is just plain wrong!

I'll admit i'm cheap ..., twas my scotish mother's fault!

For the love of Mike! --I need a steam sale!

Well, tho it's not "pay-to-win" --it sure the hell is, "pay-to-not-be-annoyed".

I'm ok with the watermarks;

I'm ok with the 'buy-box' on the right of the screen;

But the banner blocking my aim every 10 minutes or so is just plain wrong!

I'll admit i'm cheap ..., twas my scotish mother's fault!

For the love of Mike! --I need a steam sale!

Well the banner isnt wrong, its there for a reason. If you want to use the weapons, you will have to look at purchasing the DLC. If you don't want to buy it, then you will have to do without the new weapons.

Well the banner isnt wrong, its there for a reason. If you want to use the weapons, you will have to look at purchasing the DLC. If you don't want to buy it, then you will have to do without the new weapons.

Hehe..., i've fallen in love with the Cyrus. A battle rifle full of 9.3mm sweetness.

I will pay for my ..., Precious!

=========

There, i got it. Mother would be chasing me with a wooden spoon if she knew i paid full price! God bless her.

Edited by Ratszo

It's a bit of necro but I can not resist: this is the best update we ever had. 20 $ are nothing compared to all the goodness - I have never had so much fun with Arma.