Sign in to follow this  
rekkless

Does anyone kind of feel like buying the Marksman DLC was a donation?

Yeah, another useless topic about Dlc content, each Dlc got its own. If you're unhappy with Dlc content, don't buy it. If you buy it to support Bis, then you could have done it from the beginning. See the point now ?

Im not buying promises, but i am happy to shell out a couple of euro's after all these patches, also, i like the weapons.

Im not buying promises, but i am happy to shell out a couple of euro's after all these patches, also, i like the weapons.

That what i did for A2 but i finally ended up buying all the Dlcs (even the Acsr thingy :rolleyes:), so for A3 i felt like getting them all from the start :cool:

I fully support BIS' development practices (open dev) with frequent detailed reports on many subjects, their iterations, progress and the challenges ahead. They're one of the most sincere and communicating developers, so I don't see anything wrong with supporting such passionate studios by purchasing their product whenever I get a chance.

There have been much more "shameful" things I bought... $150 worth booze pack over a night... *cough*. The OP is probably a typical student who doesn't have his own steady income, and thus, chooses to complain. Get your foot into the real world, my man.

I don't mind paying for the new content, I will say that I am struggling to say the new content was worth the DLC price. That being said, If my money goes towards optimizing the engine so it actually scales with hardware them I would gladly toss more money at them.

That's not an explanation, that's a victory lap and self-pat on the back...

Might not explain anything to you and me, but I've had to say the things this blog covers many, many times (even in this thread) to people who don't understand the ideas behind the DLC. It's nice to have a link now that I can refer people to.

Also, I wasn't totally certain if the strategy was working for them financially, or if they were going to buckle to the negative feedback received. This confirms that it is working for them and they're not going to change it (not radically anyway).

Yeah, another useless topic about Dlc content, each Dlc got its own. If you're unhappy with Dlc content, don't buy it. If you buy it to support Bis, then you could have done it from the beginning. See the point now ?

Nope, you still utterly and absolutely miss it.

What if I tell you

*Morpheus face*

That the DLC is actually worth the money

Yes. Shocker. There can be third option.

I remember a discussion on this forum where the BI devs asked/told us about their plans. Can't find the thread but it should be buried somewhere on this forum, most probably in the A2 section.

There it was said that they will use the DLC's as one way to finance the support of the game. That extra income will make it easier for them to have a full staff working on improving the game with more content, features and bug fixes.

So yes, it is a donation. And you get some content as a thank you.

And from my perspective they are worth it as the hours BI has given me since 2001 is out of proportion to what I payed for it. Or maybe they owe me a big chunk of my real life....?

Nope, you still utterly and absolutely miss it.

What if I tell you

*Morpheus face*

That the DLC is actually worth the money

Yes. Shocker. There can be third option.

I utterly and absolutely think it is worth it too, and as i said i would have bought it if i wasn't already granted with it, but i don't need smart comment nor flaming posts to underline it.

It feels like a donation to me, because i dont really care about the vanilla content. I would have hoped from a little bit more exotic weapons like handheld 20mm airburst weapon or something along the line of that, that would bring more new features into the game... wasn't expecting a beefed up M14 and some standard machineguns...

I do care about the newly developed features though, and i hope this feature development will continue, and i will vote with money for that.

Because lets be frank - if it doesnt pay off for BI they won't continue doing this free feature DLC practice. It was an experiment so far

It feels like a donation me too. But i know that those features not grow on the tree and because my favorite game is Arma i will support BI as much as i can.

Btw the Marksman DLC have better contents than the Helicopter.

Well it also feels more like a donation for me too. I'd say pricing is bit too high because everyone still expects just bit more content. But I believe even BIS wants it to be bit like a donation because after all it really is like donating money so they can deliver us nice features.

I only bought the game for 25€ and I payed 20€ for the DLC bundle so it feels like a fair thing to do for me.

I'm thinkin' deeper marketing is at work with dlc's for bis.

Dlc's mark a milestone for the studio on it's on-going post release production.

People hear about the dlc, and take a look --pure marketing-- alittle hype for an old game, new pr.

Is it "Pay to Win" or "Pay to play the new Map"..., no. It's not, "Pay for cool Hats" either.

The hope i guess, is to bring new players into the title.

Think about it, "Sniper DLC"..., just the name alone will make Snipzors want to buy the full game.

Donation? ..., yeah, sure, why not? Cash never hurts and good sales is a morale boost.

Tho, we can all just wait for another 'dayz' riot..., can't make that kind of pr.

I wish they would greatly reduce time spent on sitreps, opreps, crapreps, techreps, VR, Drills, Time Trials, Steam Workshop, Launcher, DLC browser (WTF :rolleyes:), and MP game modes, and make more original playable content that I actually want to buy. Like content that has a coherent story behind it, character development, and

infantry and vehicular combat. Marketing and figuring out ways to make money off modders appear to be their principal occupations these days (devs who made weapon stabilization and suppression excluded :)).

I think part of the problem is that Karel Mořický is apparently not making missions for A3. :cryy: Mission-making talent and resources have been reallocated...

http://moricky.com/projects/

Edited by OMAC

I wish they would greatly reduce time spent on sitreps, opreps, crapreps, techreps.

Those are written reports of what is going on behind the scenes.It's extremely valuable to know how, and why behind

their ideas and implementation of different things.Also is not like writing text equals development.

Edited by enex

I think part of the problem is that Karel Mořický is apparently not making missions for A3. :cryy: Mission-making talent and resources have been reallocated...

He's focusing on the technical side of arma... and as it stands that's way more important then some additional 3 missions or whatever. Technical problems are the biggest culprit of Arma

He's focusing on the technical side of arma... and as it stands that's way more important then some additional 3 missions or whatever.

Fair enough.

But I can totally sympathize with OMAC: some more official gamplay wouldn't hurt either - and that for multiple reasons, starting with bringing across BIS's very own vision of Arma, showing the kids how things (especially new things) are done (scripting, presentation et. al), and then sure, in the end I like some more quality SP scenarios too! ;)

For example: we got those super nasty tasty heavy machine guns with the Marksman DLC, right?

Right?!

...so where the hell is the: :coop:-showcase?!

Some defence-scenario maybe? Something?!

:cool:

He's focusing on the technical side of arma... and as it stands that's way more important then some additional 3 missions or whatever. Technical problems are the biggest culprit of Arma

BI and probably ~85-90% of the community agree with you, I'll bet. That still leaves me, and possibly ruebe, high and dry. :icon_wink::sulkoff:

I'll again bring up Eagle Wing. Karel made that campaign and it was released for free in an A2 patch. That is quality right there. Things like that show what BI's focus used to be, and are what cemented me to the Arma franchise. So much so that if you cut me, I bleed ArmA II. But now I need a transfusion. :o:

Edited by OMAC

What does it matter if it feels like a donation or not. At the end of the day paying for the DLC will ensure further development whilst also providing a job for the devs so they can support their families. It's a win-win situation. In many respects BIS catered for all, because if people aren't too bothered about Arma they wouldn't have purchased the DLC. It wasn't as if BIS were forcing the purchase upon us.

I haven't used the DLC yet, but it felt good to have bought it because I know it will increase both the quality and longevity of the game. I think Arma has a lot going for it and it will only get better and better with future DLC. Not suggesting the OP moaned, but the fact remains that there will always be people who moan about buying DLC because there will always be those who want something for nothing and who don't care for or understand economics.

I remember the days of Novalogic's Delta Force series and their half-baked expansions that were just bloody awful! You go into the editor and wouldn't be able complete missions properly because of the missing content. Those of you who remember those days will be the ones who'd rather throw money at BIS than go back to that garbage.

I remember the days of Novalogic's Delta Force series

I: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=13447&highlight=DELTAFORCE%2B2

II: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=17264&highlight=DELTA%2BFORCE%2B1

Try 'em. You'll like 'em. Even in SP. Lingor missions are especially awesome.

(sorry for off-topic post - couldn't help it) :31:

Edited by OMAC

Me and my bro would buy all the DLCs and future DLCs too if they would just bring working Save/Load feature in Multiplayer.

I only bought it because I want to support BI. "Remember that those guys buying Arma 2 to play the DayZ-Mod kind of rescued the series from extinktion?"

What saddens me and what I knew well before purchasing is that premium content makes is a litte pay to win on one hand (having the biggest calibre guns is a big advantage, no need for discussion on that) and has the potential to split the community on the other hand.

So, I am a player who will not be able to use the DLC a lot because until everybody in my community can use it, it would be unfair to have only some use it. Especially in TvT Senarios.

My suggestion and wish would be an additional feature to the whole DLC-Strategey.

BI sets a realistic amount of DLC's they want to sell. They start with a big discout on the 1st hundred or so and after that they lower the discount.

Once a certaint amount of DLC's are sold, (and all the bills that need to be paid by BI + their wanted amount of winnings is made) the DLC ceases to be premium content and everybody can use it.

So you kind of donate money to BI by bying the DLC and get an instant reward youreslf but on the long run the whole community benefits from the DLC equally.

What do you think about that?

So you kind of donate money to BI by bying the DLC and get an instant reward youreslf but on the long run the whole community benefits from the DLC equally.

I think it sounds like what me and many other people in this thread have been saying :P

I think it's a great way for us to show support without shoveling out useless DLCs. This update was major, and consumer free will showed that Bohemia really brought something out that shows they care about us and the game.

BI sets a realistic amount of DLC's they want to sell. They start with a big discout on the 1st hundred or so and after that they lower the discount.

Once a certaint amount of DLC's are sold, (and all the bills that need to be paid by BI + their wanted amount of winnings is made) the DLC ceases to be premium content and everybody can use it.

I don't understand how one would be unable to pay 20EUs for the DLC bundle pack, and considers it expensive, or premium. I mean that is what, 1.5 movie tickets at most? 3-4 beers? 5-7 good coffees?

BIS is a business. They have bills to pay.

They have already allowed all content to be used as long as it is scripted so with a bit of will anyone can use everything, even without paying for it. They have already made all previous content unencrypted.

who else allows this sort of "business model", not in the gaming industry but every industry? It's like saying that if you, your friend and myself go to the pub, after you 2 have drank first the first couple of beers at overprice (to have the sales you're talking about), i'll also get my beers, just later, but just as cold as yours...economy 101....

where does this "make it free" mentality comes from in the end?

Edited by PuFu

where does this "make it free" mentality comes from in the end?

Offer a hand and they will rip the entire arm off... If you don't do it, they complain without end. If you do they complain without end that you didn't give both arms and a leg. And dare you slightly pull back the hand you offered (see that other thread.),

Edited by Fennek