Sign in to follow this  
Duke_of_Ray

Crazy sniper!

another thing i'm worried about is some sobs carrying out copycat attacks in other places.

since police and ppl are looking for that killer, i doubt if he can manuever around easily. so maybe this rate of killing will ease a little bit.

Ack, I hope so, cause I'm gonna be out and about today.

Nowhere near the Pike or on connecticut tho.

I dunno, havn't heard anything new on hte news lately.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ Oct. 05 2002,14:32)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Their ballistics people say .223, and I'm inclined to believe them<span id='postcolor'>

.223 = 0.223" = 0.556cm = 5.56mm

EDIT: This is most likely what the cops were looking at

M193

Cartridge, 5.56mm, BALL. Unpainted bullet tip. For use against personnel and unarmored targets.

U.S. Designation

M193

Synonyms

5.56 Ball, .223 Armalite, .223 Remington Special, 5.56 x 45mm

Interoperable

Suitable for use in most weapons with a 1-in-12 barrel twist (one turn in 305mm). Rifles, 5.56mm?M16 and M16A1, M16A2, AR15, H&K, Galil, Ruger, FN, SIG, and other compatible systems.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">IceFire

Posted: Oct. 05 2002,05:26

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Navy EEL, where you from man?

I'm from Rockeville, but I know N. Va pretty well.

You from Vienna/Tysons corner area?

Edited by IceFire on Oct. 05 2002,05:28

<span id='postcolor'>

IceFire,

yea im about 10min from Tysons corner, just off 495. where are you?

personally i wouldn't be too worried about anything happening in the next few days... if he was smart, which he seems to be, then he wouldn't use the same tactic in the same area, at least not until the police and community activity cools down. i mean, EVERYONE is looking out for him up here. just my thoughts biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (NavyEEL @ Oct. 05 2002,15:16)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">personally i wouldn't be too worried about anything happening in the next few days... if he was smart, which he seems to be, then he wouldn't use the same tactic in the same area, at least not until the police and community activity cools down. i mean, EVERYONE is looking out for him up here.<span id='postcolor'>

I am beginning to think this guy was also in a Police force... he seems to know exactly how much time he has to cause chaos, in what size of area. Now when everyone is looking for him, suddenly the trail is getting cold.

Probably picks up Police comms. too.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ Oct. 05 2002,15:19)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I know that .223=5.56 smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

OKay then smile.gif

what did you mean by this?</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Their ballistics people say .223, and I'm inclined to believe them <span id='postcolor'>

2 of us already said 5.56. No one is saying it is not.

Shoot, I live in Rockeville,(not rightnow tho cause of college) but I come down to tysons corner like on the weekends and everynow and then.

I got an uncle who lives near route 7 in Vienna, and another in Sterling (you know sterling boulevard?) right off route 7.

Audi Murphy, yup, you are pretty close too.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (bn880 @ Oct. 05 2002,21:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">OKay then  smile.gif

what did you mean by this?</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Their ballistics people say .223, and I'm inclined to believe them <span id='postcolor'>

2 of us already said 5.56.  No one is saying it is not.<span id='postcolor'>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Exactly what I wanted to post in this thread... I'd almost bet on it that he is or was in the armed forces. Looks like he is using one of the armed forces weapons also. PSG?

(abbreviated)

The round they showed looks like 7.62 though.<span id='postcolor'>

You posted it, I was just replying that if trained ballistics experts are able to take a good look at the bullet, then chances are their assessment is going to be a bit more accurate than yours, which was gained by looking at a picture smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ Oct. 05 2002,18:25)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (bn880 @ Oct. 05 2002,21:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Exactly what I wanted to post in this thread... I'd almost bet on it that he is or was in the armed forces. Looks like he is using one of the armed forces weapons also. PSG?

(abbreviated)

The round they showed looks like 7.62 though.<span id='postcolor'>

You posted it, I was just replying that if trained ballistics experts are able to take a good look at the bullet, then chances are their assessment is going to be a bit more accurate than yours, which was gained by looking at a picture smile.gif<span id='postcolor'><span id='postcolor'>

Abbreviated NICELY, this is my pet peeve in this forum, people take my quotes out of context.

this is what it said in my post </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">EDIT: Looks like the cops are looking at M16 family weapons, CAR-15, M16A2? The round they showed looks like 7.62 though. <span id='postcolor'>

and in the next one: </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Col. Kurtz @ Oct. 05 2002,11:51)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The whole M16 Class of weapons uses the 5.56mm Nato round to my knowlage(which isnt super extensive)

...snip<span id='postcolor'>

Yea, it just looked like 7.62 in his hand, anyway I'm pretty sure it's a 5.56mm... this guy could just be/have been a regular infantry man.<span id='postcolor'>

Anyway, I'm just having some fun with you tounge.gif Looks like there is nothing new in this case.....

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ Oct. 05 2002,18:25)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">You posted it, I was just replying that if trained ballistics experts are able to take a good look at the bullet, then chances are their assessment is going to be a bit more accurate than yours, which was gained by looking at a picture smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

BTW: that is not my assessment, not the kind you think it is (I am not saying the suspect is using 7.62 rounds), I was just suggesting they were not filming this properly, showing wrong ammo (if I even judged the size correctly form that tape).

So, I was not trying to say that the "trained experts" don't know what caliber it is even though they are on scene, I was just saying it looked like that's what they showed for some reason.

In addition, I'm sure these guys have the round type figured out pretty well, if not the rifle.

This is still no where near as bloody as Charles Whitman's shootings from the University of Texas Tower back in 1966.  He shot and killed 13 people from ranges up to 500+ yards.  He too was an ex-Marine.

-=Die Alive=-

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Benze @ Oct. 05 2002,19:30)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">What kind of rifle was he using?<span id='postcolor'>

a 35mm Remington rifle

a 6mm Remington rifle with a scope

a 30 caliber M-1 carbine

I think he used the 6mm Remington rifle the most, especially for the 500+ yard shots.

-=Die Alive=-

Yeah, the UT bell tower incident was one of the reasons the SWAT team came into being. The police on the scene had nothing heavier than service revolvers and a shotgun or two- a few cops charged the tower and got up to the top and killed him. Today, SWAT teams are trained for that exact situation.

As for this guy though, he definitely does not have a death wish- he killed people, and then just left... which suggests that he has something else planned. He's smart and obviously trained, and that's as scary as the fact that he's a killer.

Whitman was a (heavily armed) suicidal maniac who wanted to kill as many people as possible before he got his.

And if some of the witness statements can be believed, there are possibly at least two people involved -- that would make it a conspiracy.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Col. Kurtz @ Oct. 06 2002,03:53)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The police reckon there was a driver and a gunner.<span id='postcolor'>

That sounds about right.

i think he shot from buildings cuse mot of the shooting were fromt store and accross from most stores are other buildings

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Col. Kurtz @ Oct. 05 2002,08:38)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I doubt it would be a kid pretending to be playing GTA3. As much as anti-gaming people want to say games train you to be a marksman, very few do. GTA3 is played from a 3rd person view and does not have realistic ballistics and no iron sights. Only games I would say would help trai  your gun skills would be OFP nsd Americas Army as they are the only games I really know that use use Iron sights, and even OFP dosnt have very good breathing simulator.

I would say its someone with either alot of experiance or proffesianal training. Just got to hope they can nab the person/people resbonsible and deal with them.<span id='postcolor'>

OFP does have the shaky arm? but in my experience. you can't train for something like this especially if he was a sharp shot. Games just influence fragile minds.

that and i dought 2 people would get so fcked around by games that they want to kill everyone. plus if they were learning from GTA3 , they should try and bang hookers to heal themselves tounge.gif . this does look like a trained individual... but there must be some sort of plan if there are two of them....

is there any connection between the victems? race,religion, anything?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Night181 @ Oct. 07 2002,07:46)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">that and i dought 2 people would get so fcked around by games that they want to kill everyone. plus if they were learning from GTA3 , they should try and bang hookers to heal themselves tounge.gif . this does look like a trained individual... but there must be some sort of plan if there are two of them....

is there any connection between the victems? race,religion, anything?<span id='postcolor'>

best leave it to the cops so we all can go back to our gta3 campaign....errrr.. ofp resistence campaign tounge.gif

It's funny how the public tends to blame new things like games and TV, when somebody goes ballistic. Nobody blames institutions like the armed forces, which teaches people to kill real people with real guns with maximum efficiency.

Considering how many people with military training there are in the world (especially in countries with conscription), I'm surprised this shit happens as little as it does.