Sign in to follow this  
Duke_of_Ray

Crazy sniper!

Purely as a speculative exercise...

-- White male between 20 and 40 (only because most fruitcakes seem to be).

-- Acting alone (the odds of one person cracking like this are low; the odds of two doing it have to be lower).

-- Personal, not idealogical motivation (targets have no common denominator and if he wanted to cause "terror" in the religious/idealogical/political sense there are more effective ways).

-- Not active duty military (or if he is, he's in a leave or unauthorized absence status -- these killings occurred on weekdays and we don't have that kind of free time). I'd guess unemployed or a student.

-- Using CAR15 or similar weapon (was thinking bolt-action originally but his accuracy isn't that great, having delivered a couple of gutshots. Also, he's been careful about cleaning up after himself until today's recovered brass. Suggests that he couldn't find it after ejection).

... but I still don't know why he puts the mirrors in their eyes.

Semper Fi

wow.gif1--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (E6Hotel @ Oct. 08 2002,21wow.gif1)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">-- Acting alone (the odds of one person cracking like this are low; the odds of two doing it have to be lower).<span id='postcolor'>

If we're going along with my comment above that these people are no different than your "common and garden" serial killer, then killers working in tandem is not all that unheard of, Bianchi and Buono, Leopold and Loeb, Hindley and Bradey, Berkowitz and his next door neighbours dog wink.gif

Edit: Plus of course the two "boys" who murdered Jamie Bulger. Then going beyond twos you have a situtation like Charlie Manson, commune of people "worshipping" one person and under his control. My hunch about all this would be that it's not a political thing, well not an international political thing anyway, more like something in line with Oklahoma, assuming there's a point to it all and it's not just acts of random violence for no reason other than because they can.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (placebo @ Oct. 08 2002,22)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">If we're going along with my comment above that these people are no different than your "common and garden" serial killer, then killers working in tandem is not all that unheard of, Bianchi and Buono, Leopold and Loeb, Hindley and Bradey, Berkowitz and his next door neighbours dog wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Granted, but I tend to associate serial killers with more (for lack of a better word) "intimate" encounters. This guy seems to be on a spree.

Just saying that a lone shooter is more probable.

Semper Fi

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (E6Hotel @ Oct. 08 2002,21:16)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Granted, but I tend to associate serial killers with more (for lack of a better word) "intimate" encounters. This guy seems to be on a spree.<span id='postcolor'>

You mean intimate as in the way they kill or intimate as in they stalk and get to know their victims before killing them? If the former then yes I agree the majority of victims are not killed at a distance, however there are exceptions, specifically things like serial arsonists who kill and serial bombers (especially serial mail bombers). If the latter then I would on the whole disagree, a lot of the more known SK's such as Ted Bundy and Andrei Chikatilo (to simply pick two) picked victims at random when the opportunity arose, or as the case seemed with Bundy when he felt like it. A good example to contradict me of course would be Harold Shipman, his victims were his patients so he would have known them very well.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (placebo @ Oct. 08 2002,22:31)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">You mean intimate as in the way they kill or intimate as in they stalk and get to know their victims before killing them?<span id='postcolor'>

Door number one. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe most serial killers, even Bundy, were/are motivated to carry out their power fantasies against a specific victim type. It just doesn't seem that sniping men, women, and kids would provide the same kind of "fun."

But then again, a couple of John Douglas books is the extent of my knowledge on the subject, so what do I know? biggrin.gif

Semper Fi

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (E6Hotel @ Oct. 08 2002,21:25)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (bn880 @ Oct. 08 2002,21:10)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (E6Hotel @ Oct. 08 2002,15wow.gif)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Renagade @ Oct. 08 2002,20:51)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">incidently how come some shops take a dim view of selling body armour to the public as wouldn`t they need it they more becuase they dont have the fire and manpower available to them as the cops do?<span id='postcolor'>

Short answer: the LAPD North Hollywood shootout back in '97.

Semper Fi<span id='postcolor'>

Warning: Gun control discussion is a result of this.  <!--emo&smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

I don't anticipate a problem.  wink.gif

Obviously, if someone expresses interest in buying body armor, they create the impression that perhaps they're planning an activity where they anticipate being fired on. A normal (albeit paranoid) civilian who buys a vest probably wouldn't want to wear it after about five minutes, anyway. I've been in situations where they were logical necessities and I still hated wearing mine.

Semper Fi<span id='postcolor'>

well if i ever went to live in the US iid probably pick up a vest sooner or later also theres a few other jobs,like a security guard traffic warden ,where it might be good to have one smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (E6Hotel @ Oct. 08 2002,21:55)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe most serial killers, even Bundy, were/are motivated to carry out their power fantasies against a specific victim type.<span id='postcolor'>

Yup Bundy is a prime example of that, slim, dark long straight hair parted in the middle, young, mostly college types.

Chikatilo is a good example of the complete opposite, he killed anyone he could get his hands on, men, women and children.

But yes 99% (I would imagine) of serial killers have a specific MO and a specific victim type that generally doesn't change unless circumstances dictate (for example Bundy's final acts to get himself convicted in a state with capital punishment).

well one thing's for sure--the guy is very well disciplined. im guessing the bullet casing was left by him on purpose. this guy is leaving NO trace of who he is. another disciplined action of his is how he carries out the shootings. a single shot, a single victim, and then he leaves. most psychotic killers would shoot as many people as they could, but not this guy. he could have easily taken out three more targets at EACH of the locations he was at, but he didn't... he hit a single target and then left. i hope we catch him soon...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (placebo @ Oct. 08 2002,23:02)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">But yes 99% (I would imagine) of serial killers have a specific MO and a specific victim type that generally doesn't change unless circumstances dictate (for example Bundy's final acts to get himself convicted in a state with capital punishment).<span id='postcolor'>

"Ooopps, forgot to cancel the Penthouse subscription!"

-- Ted Bundy's last words

Semper Fi

most of my relatives(grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc) live in the DC-marlyand-northern virginia area, and my parents grew up there. one of the shootings was about a mile from one of my grandmothers apartment. and another shooting was a few miles from one of my uncles house. and at my cousins school, theyre werent allowed to go outside at all.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (E6Hotel @ Oct. 07 2002,21:37)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Just my opinion, but regardless of when this drone may have been born, I have a hard time imagining him as anything other than a complete weasel.

One difference to keep in mind is that [soldiers are] not trained to kill for "fun."

(Not pickin' on ya Oligo; some folks are just more fun to bicker with.  wink.gif )<span id='postcolor'>

I don't know about the weasel part, but at least this guy is not stupid as his success in avoiding the cops clearly shows. Anyway, why is it so hard for people to understand that some of us like to kill for sport. They get genuine enjoyment from hunting (just like any other rabbit shooter out there), but they just go for the most intelligent game around. And since these people are most likely psycopaths (unable to feel empathy), killing people doesn't mean more to them than swatting flies does to us "sane" people.

Or maybe it is a political statement. What I'm trying to say is that there are thousands of possible reasons for a random killing spree.

I am well aware that soldiers are not trained to kill for "fun", since I have been trained by an army myself (we have conscription). They taught me to fire mortar shells with great accuracy and speed. They even taught me to feel pride about this simple act by making everybody compete against each other. Why the hell should you care whether your mortar is faster than the one next to you? I don't know, but you DO when you're there. Must be the male instinct of competition.

So you do your little act, which you even feel proud about, without considering that you're training to hit other flesh-and-blood humans with fragmenting ordinance. If you stop and think about that, well, I think it is something that shouldn't be taught to anybody ever.

Soldiers are not trained to kill for fun, but they're trained to kill nevertheless. If you happen to have an innate tendency to enjoy killing, well, you have found your calling.

No they are trained to kill for their country.

They do it because they love their country and they love their country and so and so on.

How ironic that a guy called "Sweeper the Mercenary" would talk about loving thy country. It's even more ironic that it is possible to derive this conclusion from your statement: "If nobody loved their respective countries, there would be no war."

Something to think about. wow.gif

No no no.... I only read the final page.

Sweeper the mercenary is a old nick that IS stuck from my past.

And that statement about loving the country is a fact but if nobody loved the country there wouldn't be any war I disagree.

War is engaged by politics as usual Bush is now the spark and we others are the fuel.

I don't mean any offence to you OR any others here... I got a story here that might be harsh but it is the truth want to read it?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sweeper @ Oct. 08 2002,14:38)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">No no no.... I only read the final page.

And that statement about loving the country is a fact but if nobody loved the country there wouldn't be any war I disagree.

War is engaged by politics as usual Bush is now the spark and we others are the fuel.

I don't mean any offence to you OR any others here... I got a story here that might be harsh but it is the truth want to read it?<span id='postcolor'>

Loving your country a fact? OMFG! So basically everyone in the army loves their country? I repeat: OMFG!

That's not a fact at all, that's total bullshit actually, joining the army isn't about loving your country. Pretty much all the ppl that i know who joined the army joined it because they don't feel like sitting behind some stupid desk the rest of their lifes.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DarkLight @ Oct. 09 2002,13:40)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sweeper @ Oct. 08 2002,14:38)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">No no no.... I only read the final page.

I don't mean any offence to you OR any others here... I got a story here that might be harsh but it is the truth want to read it?<span id='postcolor'>

Loving your country a fact?  OMFG!  So basically everyone in the army loves their country?  I repeat: OMFG!  

That's not a fact at all, that's total bullshit actually, joining the army isn't about loving your country.  Pretty much all the ppl that i know who joined the army joined it because they don't feel like sitting behind some stupid desk the rest of their lifes.<span id='postcolor'>

Loving the country IS supposed to be the only reason...

But now people are joining for other reasons education, thinking it is fun etc.

ok you asked for it...

read this and become see the real world of Snipers.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">

Try to imagine the worst way of life you can. Now, multiply that times 14. Now square it. Now add 400. That being done, you're nowhere NEAR what it's like to be in the military as an enlisted man, or as an officer. Headaches, B.S., undeserved blame, screaming, B.S., crappy hours, little or NO free time, questionable quality in food, heat, cold, humidity, dryness, clothes that don't fit right, B.S., someone trying to kill you, someone saying that you kill children for fun, digging up landmines, emplacing landmines, checking landmines, B.S., equipment made by the lowest bidder (to ESPECIALLY include your weapons), MORE undeserved blame, urinalysis tests, poking, prodding, physical testing, academic testing, studying, studying, studying, studying, studying, studying, studying, studying, teaching (yes, teaching), following unreasonable (though "legal") orders, following stupid (though "legal") orders, following deadly (though "legal") orders, ISSUING unreasonable (though "legal") orders, ISSUING stupid (though "legal") orders, ISSUING deadly (though "legal") orders, B.S., bugs crawling on you, bugs feeding off of you, bugs KILLING you, germs KILLING you, toxic gases KILLING you... oh, and did you say you wanted to be a sniper? Oh, well, in that case, you can also add:

Little or no support in an operation you're on that goes bad, crapping in your pants and urinating in your pants because you can't run off to a latrine because you'll blow your stalk or give away your hide, running out of food, equipment that was built by the lowest bidder (including your weapons AND optics), failure to receive credit unless you've got a "confirmed" kill, watching through your scope as the bullet you just launched takes off the head, from the nose up, your target -- then LIVING with what you've done, and doing it AGAIN and AGAIN and AGAIN -- bugs, bugs, bugs, and more bugs... bugs you've got on you that you CAN'T swat for tactical reasons, bugs that can kill you, bugs that you've got to eat because you've run out of food (did I mention little or NO support while you're on a mission?), if you're caught you could be sliced, diced, tortured, raped (yes, raped), skinned alive and then killed "just because" you're a sniper (snipers get "special" treatment by the enemy).

You should NOT join the military because you'll be given financial assistance for college, or because you'll receive job training, because you'll get a steady paycheck, or because your girlfriend will think you look snazzy in uniform. Nobody JOINS the military to become Rambo, they GET OUT because they're Rambo. The military is NOT the place for John Rambo. If you've never read "Murphy's Laws of Combat," you should. You really should

Sniping isn't just killing people. It's B.S., too. You can't forget the B.S., because it's always there, no matter what rank or job you have. As a sniper, you're an intelligence gatherer, you make and file reports, you have to NOT engage targets that you "know" you should (because your unreasonable-but-legal orders forbid it), and all the time... someone is trying to hunt YOU down, to kill YOU, because YOU'RE a SNIPER! Fun? It's not fun, it's B.S., and it's just a job. Snipers support the mission, support the commander, and save lives. It's tough work and it's not glamorous.

Why should you become a sniper? Carlos Hathcock said it best, that the job picks the man, not the other way around. Believe it. You hear and read about all the "successful" snipers. What if you're not one of them. What if you turn into some psychotic killer? What if you end up beating your wife, using drugs, abusing your children, and living off welfare. It happens, and I've SEEN it happen. Killing people is "grown up" business, it's NOT for kids. If you ARE a kid, you WON'T be after you're first kill. Never again. No more innocence. You can't go back. If you really do want to be a sniper, do it because snipers SAVE lives, not because you want to kill. Also, in your letter to my friend, you referred to Vietnamese people using the "G" word... and I want to comment on that.

It is ALMOST a "necessity" to objectify your enemy in war, for many reasons including psychological ones, because it makes it easier to kill them. A "little" easier. Remember, however, that the guy whose head you're about to take off might have a wallet with pictures of his wife, his kids, his daughter's first birthday party, a letter from his mom telling him that she's worried about him, maybe a letter from his wife saying that she's divorcing him to marry the guy she's been having the affair with while he was gone serving his country. Maybe he's had a hard day. Maybe he's been eating bugs, too, because HE'S gotten "little or no support," and so on. And now, you're about to kill him. See, he's really not a "G" word, he's a human being who isn't going to ever see his family, his friends, or mow his yard or play with his dog ever again. He's NOT a "G" word, he's a person. Remember that. Think what you have to in order to do the job, but when it's over, really over, remember that the "targets" you "serviced" were once living people, and they aren't anymore because of YOU. Period.

If you want to be a sniper, try for the job, and if your instructors think you have what it takes, fine. If, however, they say you don't pass the course, then... move on! Have something else to fall back on! Exercise your options! Again, like Carlos said, the job picks the man, not the other way around. If the job DOESN'T pick you, then "get a life" and MOVE ON! Snipers are a special breed, yes, but if you aren't a sniper it doesn't mean you're a piece of dirt. It just means what it means... that you aren't a sniper.

So, why SHOULD you join the military? I'll give you three reasons. Because you love your country, you love your country, and because you love your country.

<span id='postcolor'>

This is from www.snipercountry.com and tells some story.

There is a old topic here in OT but It is drowned.

For now I will stop posting more harsh material, your move everyone...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sweeper @ Oct. 09 2002,13:38)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">And that statement about loving the country is a fact but if nobody loved the country there wouldn't be any war I disagree.

War is engaged by politics as usual Bush is now the spark and we others are the fuel.<span id='postcolor'>

There definitely would not be any wars, if nobody was willing to die for their respective countries. Have you ever heard the phrase: "Some day they will make war, but nobody will come"? The point is that you need gullible grunts to do the dying and enforcing. No grunts = no war.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sweeper @ Oct. 08 2002,14:46)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DarkLight @ Oct. 09 2002,13:40)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sweeper @ Oct. 08 2002,14:38)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">No no no.... I only read the final page.

Loving your country a fact?  OMFG!  So basically everyone in the army loves their country?  I repeat: OMFG!  

That's not a fact at all, that's total bullshit actually, joining the army isn't about loving your country.  Pretty much all the ppl that i know who joined the army joined it because they don't feel like sitting behind some stupid desk the rest of their lifes.<span id='postcolor'>

Loving the country IS supposed to be the only reason...

But now people are joining for other reasons education, thinking it is fun etc.

ok you asked for it...

read this and become see the real world of Snipers.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">

Try to imagine the worst way of life you can. Now, multiply that times 14. Now square it. Now add 400. That being done, you're nowhere NEAR what it's like to be in the military as an enlisted man, or as an officer. Headaches, B.S., undeserved blame, screaming, B.S., crappy hours, little or NO free time, questionable quality in food, heat, cold, humidity, dryness, clothes that don't fit right, B.S., someone trying to kill you, someone saying that you kill children for fun, digging up landmines, emplacing landmines, checking landmines, B.S., equipment made by the lowest bidder (to ESPECIALLY include your weapons), MORE undeserved blame, urinalysis tests, poking, prodding, physical testing, academic testing, studying, studying, studying, studying, studying, studying, studying, studying, teaching (yes, teaching), following unreasonable (though "legal") orders, following stupid (though "legal") orders, following deadly (though "legal") orders, ISSUING unreasonable (though "legal") orders, ISSUING stupid (though "legal") orders, ISSUING deadly (though "legal") orders, B.S., bugs crawling on you, bugs feeding off of you, bugs KILLING you, germs KILLING you, toxic gases KILLING you... oh, and did you say you wanted to be a sniper? Oh, well, in that case, you can also add:

Little or no support in an operation you're on that goes bad, crapping in your pants and urinating in your pants because you can't run off to a latrine because you'll blow your stalk or give away your hide, running out of food, equipment that was built by the lowest bidder (including your weapons AND optics), failure to receive credit unless you've got a "confirmed" kill, watching through your scope as the bullet you just launched takes off the head, from the nose up, your target -- then LIVING with what you've done, and doing it AGAIN and AGAIN and AGAIN -- bugs, bugs, bugs, and more bugs... bugs you've got on you that you CAN'T swat for tactical reasons, bugs that can kill you, bugs that you've got to eat because you've run out of food (did I mention little or NO support while you're on a mission?), if you're caught you could be sliced, diced, tortured, raped (yes, raped), skinned alive and then killed "just because" you're a sniper (snipers get "special" treatment by the enemy).

You should NOT join the military because you'll be given financial assistance for college, or because you'll receive job training, because you'll get a steady paycheck, or because your girlfriend will think you look snazzy in uniform. Nobody JOINS the military to become Rambo, they GET OUT because they're Rambo. The military is NOT the place for John Rambo. If you've never read "Murphy's Laws of Combat," you should. You really should

Sniping isn't just killing people. It's B.S., too. You can't forget the B.S., because it's always there, no matter what rank or job you have. As a sniper, you're an intelligence gatherer, you make and file reports, you have to NOT engage targets that you "know" you should (because your unreasonable-but-legal orders forbid it), and all the time... someone is trying to hunt YOU down, to kill YOU, because YOU'RE a SNIPER! Fun? It's not fun, it's B.S., and it's just a job. Snipers support the mission, support the commander, and save lives. It's tough work and it's not glamorous.

Why should you become a sniper? Carlos Hathcock said it best, that the job picks the man, not the other way around. Believe it. You hear and read about all the "successful" snipers. What if you're not one of them. What if you turn into some psychotic killer? What if you end up beating your wife, using drugs, abusing your children, and living off welfare. It happens, and I've SEEN it happen. Killing people is "grown up" business, it's NOT for kids. If you ARE a kid, you WON'T be after you're first kill. Never again. No more innocence. You can't go back. If you really do want to be a sniper, do it because snipers SAVE lives, not because you want to kill. Also, in your letter to my friend, you referred to Vietnamese people using the "G" word... and I want to comment on that.

It is ALMOST a "necessity" to objectify your enemy in war, for many reasons including psychological ones, because it makes it easier to kill them. A "little" easier. Remember, however, that the guy whose head you're about to take off might have a wallet with pictures of his wife, his kids, his daughter's first birthday party, a letter from his mom telling him that she's worried about him, maybe a letter from his wife saying that she's divorcing him to marry the guy she's been having the affair with while he was gone serving his country. Maybe he's had a hard day. Maybe he's been eating bugs, too, because HE'S gotten "little or no support," and so on. And now, you're about to kill him. See, he's really not a "G" word, he's a human being who isn't going to ever see his family, his friends, or mow his yard or play with his dog ever again. He's NOT a "G" word, he's a person. Remember that. Think what you have to in order to do the job, but when it's over, really over, remember that the "targets" you "serviced" were once living people, and they aren't anymore because of YOU. Period.

If you want to be a sniper, try for the job, and if your instructors think you have what it takes, fine. If, however, they say you don't pass the course, then... move on! Have something else to fall back on! Exercise your options! Again, like Carlos said, the job picks the man, not the other way around. If the job DOESN'T pick you, then "get a life" and MOVE ON! Snipers are a special breed, yes, but if you aren't a sniper it doesn't mean you're a piece of dirt. It just means what it means... that you aren't a sniper.

So, why SHOULD you join the military? I'll give you three reasons. Because you love your country, you love your country, and because you love your country.

<span id='postcolor'>

This is from www.snipercountry.com and tells some story.

There is a old topic here in OT but It is drowned.

For now I will stop posting more harsh material, your move everyone...<span id='postcolor'>

*sigh*

This has been posted at least a BILLION times. And yes i've read it, actually i was the first person who posted it on this forum.

That post is pretty lame, most of it is true, but the reason why you should join the army is because you love your country? Come on, that sounds more like a hollywood movie confused.gif

Where you live ppl might join the army for that, here 80% join the army because they like the army, because they don't feel like sitting behind a desk, because they want some more action in their lives, etc.

I'd never want to die for my country, if i'll ever join the army or fight in a war it'll be because i want to stop another country or because i like the army...

The army has squat all to do with the lunatic in question, this has gone way off topic smile.gif

Next time, stay on topic please wink.gif