Sign in to follow this  
ramon_dexter

How do I create a marker with a script

How do I make a script to place a map marker into a map? Triggered by a trigger, or anything else. I want the script to mark new locations for a player via conversation option. The conversation is done, but I really don't know how to simply place a marker. I tried building this:

"markPlace" setMarkerShape "ICON";
"markPlace" setMarkerShape "hd_objective";
"markPlace" setMarkerColor "ColorRed";
"markPlace" setMarkerText "Place";
this = createMarker ["markPlace", getPos marker]; /// marker - in editor placed invisible marker

But it won't do a thing. I already looked into the community wiki and build this code, which don't work.

You have to create the marker before applying changes to it.

If I put first create marker, nothing happens.

this = createMarker ["markPlace", mIfestiona]; "markPlace" setMarkerShape "ICON";  "markPlace" setMarkerShape "hd_objective";  "markPlace" setMarkerColor "ColorRed";  "markPlace" setMarkerText "Place"; 

When I try to modify already existing marker (here mIfestiona), nothing happens.

"mIfestiona" setMarkerShape "ICON";
"mIfestiona" setMarkerShape "hd_objective";
"mIfestiona" setMarkerColor "ColorRed";
"mIfestiona" setMarkerText "Hefaistiona";

Any suggestions?

You can try this. Place down on your map a "game logic-town", where you want the objective to be, and name it "Town1". Then make a createmarker.sqf

[color="#FF8040"][color="#1874CD"]_townpos[/color] [color="#8B3E2F"][b]=[/b][/color] Town1[color="#8B3E2F"][b];[/b][/color]

[color="#006400"][i]// add marker on AO/target[/i][/color]
[color="#1874CD"]_marker[/color] [color="#8B3E2F"][b]=[/b][/color] [color="#191970"][b]createMarker[/b][/color] [color="#8B3E2F"][b][[/b][/color][color="#7A7A7A"]"mIfestiona"[/color][color="#8B3E2F"][b],[/b][/color] [color="#1874CD"]_townpos[/color][color="#8B3E2F"][b]][/b][/color][color="#8B3E2F"][b];[/b][/color]
[color="#1874CD"]_marker[/color] [color="#191970"][b]setMarkerType[/b][/color] [color="#7A7A7A"]"hd_objective"[/color][color="#8B3E2F"][b];[/b][/color]
[color="#1874CD"]_marker[/color] [color="#191970"][b]setMarkerColor[/b][/color] [color="#7A7A7A"]"ColorRed"[/color][color="#8B3E2F"][b];[/b][/color]
[color="#1874CD"]_marker[/color] [color="#191970"][b]setMarkerText[/b][/color] [color="#7A7A7A"]" Hefaistiona"[/color][color="#8B3E2F"][b];[/b][/color]
[color="#1874CD"]_marker[/color] [color="#191970"][b]setMarkerSize[/b][/color] [color="#8B3E2F"][b][[/b][/color][color="#FF0000"]1[/color][color="#8B3E2F"][b],[/b][/color][color="#FF0000"]1[/color][color="#8B3E2F"][b]][/b][/color][color="#8B3E2F"][b];[/b][/color]
[/color]

Made with KK's SQF to BBCode Converter

With that you will create a marker on that position. Hope that helps.

Regards

Seed

You can try this. Place down on your map a "game logic-town", where you want the objective to be, and name it "Town1". Then make a createmarker.sqf

[color="#FF8040"][color="#1874CD"]_townpos[/color] [color="#8B3E2F"][b]=[/b][/color] Town1[color="#8B3E2F"][b];[/b][/color]

[color="#006400"][i]// add marker on AO/target[/i][/color]
[color="#1874CD"]_marker[/color] [color="#8B3E2F"][b]=[/b][/color] [color="#191970"][b]createMarker[/b][/color] [color="#8B3E2F"][b][[/b][/color][color="#7A7A7A"]"mIfestiona"[/color][color="#8B3E2F"][b],[/b][/color] [color="#1874CD"]_townpos[/color][color="#8B3E2F"][b]][/b][/color][color="#8B3E2F"][b];[/b][/color]
[color="#1874CD"]_marker[/color] [color="#191970"][b]setMarkerType[/b][/color] [color="#7A7A7A"]"hd_objective"[/color][color="#8B3E2F"][b];[/b][/color]
[color="#1874CD"]_marker[/color] [color="#191970"][b]setMarkerColor[/b][/color] [color="#7A7A7A"]"ColorRed"[/color][color="#8B3E2F"][b];[/b][/color]
[color="#1874CD"]_marker[/color] [color="#191970"][b]setMarkerText[/b][/color] [color="#7A7A7A"]" Hefaistiona"[/color][color="#8B3E2F"][b];[/b][/color]
[color="#1874CD"]_marker[/color] [color="#191970"][b]setMarkerSize[/b][/color] [color="#8B3E2F"][b][[/b][/color][color="#FF0000"]1[/color][color="#8B3E2F"][b],[/b][/color][color="#FF0000"]1[/color][color="#8B3E2F"][b]][/b][/color][color="#8B3E2F"][b];[/b][/color]
[/color]

Made with KK's SQF to BBCode Converter

With that you will create a marker on that position. Hope that helps.

Regards

Seed

You still need to getPos the logic:

_townpos = getPos Town1;

// add marker on AO/target
_marker = createMarker ["mIfestiona", _townpos];
_marker setMarkerType "hd_objective";
_marker setMarkerColor "ColorRed";
_marker setMarkerText " Hefaistiona";
_marker setMarkerSize [1,1];

Yes thank you JShock. I forgot that. While we are at it. Can you explain in short what is the difference between "getPos" and "getPosATL" scriptwise ?

Regards

Seed

Can you explain in short what is the difference between "getPos" and "getPosATL" scriptwise ?

From the wiki's:

getPos:

Returns the object position in format Position. Z value is height over the surface underneath.

getPosATL:

Returns the position of an object relative to the terrain.

getPosATL is also "newer" in the sense that it was introduced in Arma 2.

Hate to wake up a thread from April, but the forum rules won't let me open a new thread and this one is related.

I've created a marker using the createMarker (just a dot at the user's location). However, I then can't remove the marker via the map (open map, hover over dot, press Delete key). Essentially I'm trying to recreate, through scripting, the action of someone opening the map and placing a dot marker for everyone on their side to see... and the marker is able to be deleted later.

Anyone have an idea?