thedog88

Operation Trebuchet - Total conversion mod for Arma 3

Another thing, I noticed my Sniper rifle statement kinda got swept under the rug. :P

Another thing, I noticed my Sniper rifle statement kinda got swept under the rug. :P

Well that's simple. It's arma. You can't add the lazer to the scope. It would mess up key binds and the rails and the scope. So that is Why the lazer is on the rail system.

To be honest, gun camos are kind of a turn off for me. To me it just resonates with CoD, and it's one thing I didn't like about Halo 4. And we never actually see customized weaponry in any of the campaigns, so it seems a bit out of place if you ask me. Yes, it's in the multiplayer, and I'm not sure if what goes on there is canon, but it's still off-putting. I guess if you made the weapons not standard and you have to specifically give them to a unit in a loadout, then I don't see an issue. But if we're painting everyone's AR green it's going to be a little ridiculous.

I'd honestly rather the devs not invest their time into this if they can be investing it in better things. I'm still waiting to see the progress on the MA3, can't wait.

As a dev myself, i do like the idea of terrain specific gun camos (woodland spraypainted MA5 imo would look cool) but i am also against it at the moment as we are taking focus on the needs before the wants

Well that's simple. It's arma. You can't add the lazer to the scope. It would mess up key binds and the rails and the scope. So that is Why the lazer is on the rail system.

He said the laser is the recoil dampner. Also there's nothing stopping us from having the laser attachment attach to the scope.

As a dev myself, i do like the idea of terrain specific gun camos (woodland spraypainted MA5 imo would look cool) but i am also against it at the moment as we are taking focus on the needs before the wants

But then when would we ever see the normal guns? You're going to almost always be in a woodland, snow, or desert environment. The only time the default camo would make sense is in an urban deployment, and what percentage of maps are mostly urban? The New Mombassa map will be, sure, but only seeing the normal guns on one map would be a tad disappointing.

http://www.defense.gov/dodcmsshare/newsphoto/2008-03/hires_080306-M-8774P-051.jpg

http://www.strategypage.com/gallery/images/poptun-patrol.jpg

http://images.military.com/media/equipment/personal-equipment/marine-snow-camouflage-uniform/marine-snow-camouflage-uniform_007.jpg

Not sure if all of those photos are real, but I'm pretty sure more often than not soldiers don't paint their guns.

Now here's an idea for you, how about instead of completely changing the guns appearance for the environment, why not make them look like they've been affected by that environment?

For instance, the desert troops would have some slight sand buildup in the crevices of their guns, snow troops would have some frost on their guns, woodland soldiers might have mud buildup on their guns, urban soldiers would have relatively clean guns, etc.

This way, we see the normal guns always, but it matches its environment still. Obviously if you deploy snow troops in the jungle it's going to look weird, but I don't think people will be doing that anyway.

Uh, no. You entirely misinterpreted what I meant lol.

I meant position it as an attachment on the scope, not a keybind.....currently it is replacing an object that would be important for the operation of the rifle, and the rifle it's based on.

---------- Post added at 05:24 ---------- Previous post was at 05:22 ----------

Hey man, I offered to give a go at texturing the paint :P

Not trying to steal your job or anything, it would just be a template, or something you could overlay onto the original design, possibly could make it multi-layer so you could modify it later for any colors and combinations.

I'm willing to help.

---------- Post added at 05:36 ---------- Previous post was at 05:24 ----------

But then when would we ever see the normal guns? You're going to almost always be in a woodland, snow, or desert environment. The only time the default camo would make sense is in an urban deployment, and what percentage of maps are mostly urban? The New Mombassa map will be, sure, but only seeing the normal guns on one map would be a tad disappointing.

http://www.defense.gov/dodcmsshare/newsphoto/2008-03/hires_080306-M-8774P-051.jpg

http://www.strategypage.com/gallery/images/poptun-patrol.jpg

http://images.military.com/media/equipment/personal-equipment/marine-snow-camouflage-uniform/marine-snow-camouflage-uniform_007.jpg

Not sure if all of those photos are real, but I'm pretty sure more often than not soldiers don't paint their guns.

Now here's an idea for you, how about instead of completely changing the guns appearance for the environment, why not make them look like they've been affected by that environment?

For instance, the desert troops would have some slight sand buildup in the crevices of their guns, snow troops would have some frost on their guns, woodland soldiers might have mud buildup on their guns, urban soldiers would have relatively clean guns, etc.

This way, we see the normal guns always, but it matches its environment still. Obviously if you deploy snow troops in the jungle it's going to look weird, but I don't think people will be doing that anyway.

The military assigns photographers to specific units that follow regulation more or less, they don't want to look bad, so it can be tricky finding pictures of soldiers field modifying their weapons.

But if the Germans, Russians, French, Italians, Swedish......Dutch......English........blaahhh......are any indication, it happens. More frequently than photographed.

Even on guns prone to heat issues....*cough*

That's Bundeswehr.

Most German troops have far, far more heavily painted rifles.

image-42936-galleryV9-kupv.jpg

Australian SF.

776845-afghanistan-soldiers.jpg

This crazy Russian Alfa member, who was supposed to use a black rifle for the meeting of Putin, but didn't give no care.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5d/Alpha_group.jpg (157 kB)

Although, it is more often for SF units to paint their weapons than it is for an average joe. Doesn't mean it doesn't deserve a place in the mod. Geez, it was even in ArmA 2 to begin with, and it's in ArmA 3 as well.

The "Afghan and back" look would be cool, but really- there's no point. May as well just camouflage the gun. Far simpler, and one could argue it's much more worth their time.

Besides! It's purely preference!

Why does it matter if you see black guns more often than the camouflaged ones? If you want the black gun, use the black gun. It's not like it's horribly unbelievable for soldiers to modify their guns. They did it during WW2, they do it now, they're gonna do it in the future. No matter what. Even if the military made it so the guns had some sort of liquid repelant on it, they'd scrape it off and paint it :P

I'm sure there are plenty of people who will use the "stock" guns. From my experience in ArmA 2, I saw quite a few people running black rifles when the camo ones were available.

Edited by Op3r8r

As much as it maybe interesting, could you please get back to the topic in hand, this is the second time I have asked. Don't let me have to ask again.

As much as it maybe interesting, could you please get back to the topic in hand, this is the second time I have asked. Don't let me have to ask again.

We were talking about camo weapons being added and the differences of unit SOPs. Really don't see it as getting off topic at all. It clearly supports that camo weapons are a thing Because it truly does depend of the unit. Hell it can also fall into the talk about the shotgun and specialized ammunition a page back and the discussion of how some units will use none lethal rounds to quell riots while some units will drop a damn nuke like Far Isle. I was just adding a lot of real life evidence to support these facts. If you reading it differently then I'm sorry. Maybe I drifted to much and added a little to much. Happened when you been hit by 2 rkg-3's, 4 IEDS an have 7 500 lbs rockets land near you. All them shockwaves added damage to the brian. So I drift. Try talking to me in Person. It's worse. I'll jump to topic to topic without realizing and jump back like we never stopped taking about it. It's a issue and I'm aware of it and suffer for it. But there is no medication that can repair it unless you want to turn me into a drulling zombie. And I'm sorry. Not going to happen.

The weapons won't be getting a fancy paint job. If you want, you're more than welcome to make your own reskin mod.

The weapons won't be getting a fancy paint job. If you want, you're more than welcome to make your own reskin mod.

Haha. I wasn't asking for them. I was just supporting OrP3r8r when trooper said they don't. But my mind was drifting back to case with the shotguns earlier today at the same time. Cause we started talking about Units and SOPs and my mind drifted to when I used Shotguns for none lethal actions and then you were all like. Look up New Isle. UNSC don't play nice. And as you see my mind drifted to just now. Depends on unit SOP. If it was a different commander. Maybe they never had dropped the nuke haha.

But your right. if a unit wants their own gun camo. They can do their own and even release them as add ons once the template to do so is out. Are we even able To do that right now ourselves?

Oh just remember. You guys talked about uniforms in the last uplink. Any word on the possible separation of the Fatigues and the Armor itself?

Edited by Theronnett

Why won't you just accept my offer, or tell me why it can't be? :I

We were talking about camo weapons being added and the differences of unit SOPs. Really don't see it as getting off topic at all. It clearly supports that camo weapons are a thing Because it truly does depend of the unit. Hell it can also fall into the talk about the shotgun and specialized ammunition a page back and the discussion of how some units will use none lethal rounds to quell riots while some units will drop a damn nuke like Far Isle. I was just adding a lot of real life evidence to support these facts. If you reading it differently then I'm sorry. Maybe I drifted to much and added a little to much. Happened when you been hit by 2 rkg-3's, 4 IEDS an have 7 500 lbs rockets land near you. All them shockwaves added damage to the brian. So I drift. Try talking to me in Person. It's worse. I'll jump to topic to topic without realizing and jump back like we never stopped taking about it. It's a issue and I'm aware of it and suffer for it. But there is no medication that can repair it unless you want to turn me into a drulling zombie. And I'm sorry. Not going to happen.

I can see you were talking about camo weapons, as i am following this thread as the Halo Universe does interest me after playing Halo. I also have my own Halo Addon in a WIP stage called Project Orion or should I say ORION Project ;).

But previously you have drifted from the thread topic far too often, please try to stay on topic.

Edited by R0adki11

Why won't you just accept my offer, or tell me why it can't be? :I

The mod won't be cluttered with duplicates of the same weapon, it just doesn't make sense to use up all the space. Like I said, feel free to make your own skin mod that uses OpTreb assets. No one is stopping you.

I can see you were talking about camo weapons, as i am following this thread as the Halo Universe does interest me after playing Halo. I also have my own Halo Addon in a WIP stage called Project Orion or should I say ORION Project ;).

But previously you have drifted from the thread topic far too often, please try to stay on topic.

I try not to. But it's how my brain works. As you see. Sometimes I focus and hit things straight and narrow. Next I'm all over the place. Problem with MTBI. Mild Tramatic Brain Injury is no joke. I can't even remember anything from before High School. Flashed here and there. But it's mainly blurred. Hurts to think time to time too. Developed a bad stutter. Had mild before. But it's really bad now too. Lol. No purple heart though. Big Army didn't care when the Insurgent fucked us up. 5 dead. 23 critical that they got shipped home and another 80 + walking wounded and shell shocked in a span of 5 minutes. Us 80+ we could still move and fight. So they didn't bother doing the test needed to see what kind of damage those IRAMs did to our brians. Green Weenie for you haha

Also. Really not the best place to inquire on halo lore.

Go here https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/db05ce78845f4120b062c50816008e5d/topics

Its horrible. I spent the last 2 hours trying to talk to my coworker about the orgins of the flood and why the story of Halo 4 makes sense for he was confused. But then I kept jumping around that I confused him even more. QQ. All this knowledge in here and I can't say it in a simple format. FML

Edited by Theronnett

Judging by the name, it will probably be a pretty damn cool mod. It would be cool to see it hand in hand with OPTRE.

The mod won't be cluttered with duplicates of the same weapon, it just doesn't make sense to use up all the space. Like I said, feel free to make your own skin mod that uses OpTreb assets. No one is stopping you.

Kinda relieved about it actually. I think it sort of goes along with custom ODST units. You can skin your own, along with your weapons, and then you have your own customized units. You guys have to remember that while there are people who paint their rifles, there are a ton more who don't, and we never see it in the Halo universe aside from the Halo 4 multiplayer.

Kinda relieved about it actually. I think it sort of goes along with custom ODST units. You can skin your own, along with your weapons, and then you have your own customized units. You guys have to remember that while there are people who paint their rifles, there are a ton more who don't, and we never see it in the Halo universe aside from the Halo 4 multiplayer.

I think Some books and comics did. But as I said before a while ago. Once the mod becomes more fleshed out and they separate the armor from the Fatigues. Some of the Artists in my clan were going to make Custom Uniforms like SPECWAR/ GROUP THREE off the ODST armor, maybe use the regular EVA helmet though and quite a few woodland and Desert camos. Then depending in how is goes and best way to go about it. We'll share the patterns for whoever wants it.

Edited by Theronnett

So I noticed that the most famous think about the Black Warthog is missing.

The Yellow stripe

Rocket_Hog.png[/img]

And the Flaming Hog just because ^-^

warthoglce_final.png[/img]

Edited by Theronnett

Alright, this is frustrating me beyond belief.

One, night vision devices. Halo does not go into depth with night vision devices, at all. They are present on the scopes of rifles and in the helmets only. Obviously this isn't the only way they would exist in a realistic Halo universe, but the Marines/Army helmets NEED, and I mean NEED a heads up display eye piece. That is how their NV functions! It is very obvious! The Marines in Halo: CE even had green heads up display screens on their eye pieces. The display eye piece is also present in Reach, confirming its place as canon.

Not doing this as a argument, but as possibilities to help solve some issues

Now this statement, makes sense. But here are solutions of what i do in arma to emulate these. I'll post Equipment that is used in Halo that Offers a Hud/NVGs capabilities and what i do in arma to match it. Going to do a spoiler so not the do a huge post bugging people, but all can read and enjoy and go, that is smart

(I'll state my honest opinion here and suggest the Neural Implant be named to "Tactical Night vision" or something, It was stated in Both Fall of Reach and New Blood that only Spartans ever got that Implant to see in the dark, If Gunnery Sergeant Edward Buck never got one as an ODST for over 15 years AND worked with ONI for several missions, never getting a NI for Night vision until he finally became a Spartan IV, VERY HIGH chance the average Joes never got a implant to see in the dark)

Now the Items for the regular grunts that is not in game as of yet. (Not adding the ODST version)

Optical Eye piece

83vH575.jpg[/img]

Rangefinder (as mentioned, for the grunts, not SF)

2ZDKY4e.jpg[/img]

Now what i use for what is in game for Items that offer hud/NVG

ODST Helmet. (I wear the ODST Helmet and use the Neural Implant)

NLhuafH.jpg[/img]

EVA Helmet (I wear the EVA Helmet and use the Neural Implant)

wR43IQr.jpg[/img]

Tactical Goggles (I wear the Tactical Glasses/Shades and use the Neural Implant)

vR53chP.jpg[/img]

And finally what i use the most, Regular NVGs. But why NVGs, I'll tell you

1st look at the helmet and notice the metal base plate on it (IGNORE THE TACTICAL GOGGLES/ EYE PIECE)

WPm0wbW.jpg[/img]

9gCSkGZ.png[/img]

That base plate is the exact same style of base plate we currently use to attach NVGs onto our helmets we use today

ACH.jpg[/img]

that we use to to hold NVGs

1741031_977493485595648_1991493382_n.jpg

And I'm not the only one who thought it too

02_warthog.jpg[/img]

As seen from a fan film concept art that kinda faltered, http://halo.bungie.org/misc/operation_chastity_art/ but whose concept art inspires Halo fans everywhere still

Plus I will be honest, the ARMA Vanilla NVGs match the Helmets so well. I sometimes feel like they were made for the halo mod. In missions I make. I always have the Lower enlisted wear normal NVGs and have Team leaders and Squad leaders with Tac Shades and the NI, (Though I give the Joes Tactical Glasses, Eye protection is very Important to a soldiers safety.)

Hopefully this helps some of you guys out in ideas on how to use the NVGs

PS. to lazy to take actual arma screenshot, I just woke up and feel tired, but this has been buzzing in my brain in and out and it woke me up so I had to get it out, maybe later after I get the Civie pictures later tonight, I'll put of some arma examples

Edited by Theronnett

ADD to 1st part, apparently there is a 10 picture limit to post

I even Found Bungie Concept art supporting the possibility of giving normal NVGs to troopers.

Trooper with Rhino mount (The Metal arm that is used to attach the NVGs to the Helmet)

d00eda95ccb5d4cf1d5a5d386c592bc9.jpg[/img]

Real life Rhino mount

Metal-Night-Vision-PVS-7-14-NVG-M88-ACH-Helmet-Mount-Interface-DIY-Base-Set-Strap.jpg[/img]

Okay, fine. Fair enough. I just think it looks absolutely hilarious to have 3 versions of the shotgun, all with different camouflage paint jobs, if you aren't going to give other weapons the same treatment.

Okay, fine. Fair enough. I just think it looks absolutely hilarious to have 3 versions of the shotgun, all with different camouflage paint jobs, if you aren't going to give other weapons the same treatment.

The shotguns were done by Stirls and I've been asked to redo them. So don't worry, that'll be fixed.

Not doing this as a argument, but as possibilities to help solve some issues

Now this statement, makes sense. But here are solutions of what i do in arma to emulate these. I'll post Equipment that is used in Halo that Offers a Hud/NVGs capabilities and what i do in arma to match it. Going to do a spoiler so not the do a huge post bugging people, but all can read and enjoy and go, that is smart

(I'll state my honest opinion here and suggest the Neural Implant be named to "Tactical Night vision" or something, It was stated in Both Fall of Reach and New Blood that only Spartans ever got that Implant to see in the dark, If Gunnery Sergeant Edward Buck never got one as an ODST for over 15 years AND worked with ONI for several missions, never getting a NI for Night vision until he finally became a Spartan IV, VERY HIGH chance the average Joes never got a implant to see in the dark)

Now the Items for the regular grunts that is not in game as of yet. (Not adding the ODST version)

Optical Eye piece

http://i.imgur.com/83vH575.jpg

Rangefinder (as mentioned, for the grunts, not SF)

http://i.imgur.com/2ZDKY4e.jpg

Now what i use for what is in game for Items that offer hud/NVG

ODST Helmet. (I wear the ODST Helmet and use the Neural Implant)

http://i.imgur.com/NLhuafH.jpg

EVA Helmet (I wear the EVA Helmet and use the Neural Implant)

http://i.imgur.com/wR43IQr.jpg

Tactical Goggles (I wear the Tactical Glasses/Shades and use the Neural Implant)

http://i.imgur.com/vR53chP.jpg

And finally what i use the most, Regular NVGs. But why NVGs, I'll tell you

1st look at the helmet and notice the metal base plate on it (IGNORE THE TACTICAL GOGGLES/ EYE PIECE)

http://i.imgur.com/WPm0wbW.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/9gCSkGZ.png

That base plate is the exact same style of base plate we currently use to attach NVGs onto our helmets we use today

http://www.gentexcorp.com/assets/gentex/Ground/ACH.jpg

that we use to to hold NVGs

http://scontent.cdninstagram.com/hphotos-xpf1/t51.2885-15/s306x306/e15/1741031_977493485595648_1991493382_n.jpg

And I'm not the only one who thought it too

http://halo.bungie.org/misc/operation_chastity_art/lg/02_warthog.jpg

As seen from a fan film concept art that kinda faltered, http://halo.bungie.org/misc/operation_chastity_art/ but whose concept art inspires Halo fans everywhere still

Plus I will be honest, the ARMA Vanilla NVGs match the Helmets so well. I sometimes feel like they were made for the halo mod. In missions I make. I always have the Lower enlisted wear normal NVGs and have Team leaders and Squad leaders with Tac Shades and the NI, (Though I give the Joes Tactical Glasses, Eye protection is very Important to a soldiers safety.)

Hopefully this helps some of you guys out in ideas on how to use the NVGs

PS. to lazy to take actual arma screenshot, I just woke up and feel tired, but this has been buzzing in my brain in and out and it woke me up so I had to get it out, maybe later after I get the Civie pictures later tonight, I'll put of some arma examples

"Helmet NVG" would work.

Then again, couldn't a similar thing that was implemented with the ODST helmets in the mod be done with the Marine helmets?

I still feel, the simplest way, is to just model the eye piece as NVG.

"Helmet NVG" would work.

Then again, couldn't a similar thing that was implemented with the ODST helmets in the mod be done with the Marine helmets?

I still feel, the simplest way, is to just model the eye piece as NVG.

They are going to add a hud effect to the EVA helmets like the ODST helmets, it's like 30-40 pages back, But they are tracking the Eye piece, it has been requested numerous time, but their focus is on adding more guns and tanks, and I agree, rather have the tank then the eye piece. It's a very small team doing this stuff for free. so when things get done, they get done when the time is there

Edited by Theronnett

They are going to add a hud effect to the EVA helmets like the ODST helmets, it's like 30-40 pages back, But they are tracking the Eye piece, it has been requested numerous time, but their focus is on adding more guns and tanks, and I agree, rather have the tank then the eye piece. It's a very small team doing this stuff for free. so when things get done, they get done when the time is there

I'd rather have the Longsword over the Scorp. :P

But yeah, I understand that they're a small mod team. of course doing it for free.