thedog88

Operation Trebuchet - Total conversion mod for Arma 3

cool beans

i assure you the devs have looked into a majority of those concepts linked (MA3, and such) and only time will tell if we add them in

if im not mistaken one dev has already come up with a MA3 design, wont say who or what it looks like

It might be a good idea for the developers to share the concept art they have for elements under early development so they can be critiqued. It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to have the community give ideas as well, like post a concept piece and have some of the community make small refinement suggestions so that by the time it gets to the modeler, it's fully refined and it gets out the door quicker. A little more interaction with the community wouldn't do any harm.

It might be a good idea for the developers to share the concept art they have for elements under early development so they can be critiqued. It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to have the community give ideas as well, like post a concept piece and have some of the community make small refinement suggestions so that by the time it gets to the modeler, it's fully refined and it gets out the door quicker. A little more interaction with the community wouldn't do any harm.

well i dont think he has a visual representation he can show us and i do not know if so if hed be able to show it yet.

Well I'll be leaving these forums. Looks like I been causing problems without noticing and I rather not cause problems, so the best solution I can think of is just not cause any problems by not allowing myself to cause issues in the 1st place. Sorry for any trouble I caused. Good luck all. It was fun ^^

Uh, ok. Will you still be posting on reddit?

Uh, ok. Will you still be posting on reddit?

Looks like I'm staying, Enough people seem to enjoy my post and seems like I'm really the only life here during the night hours lol xD

---------- Post added at 21:46 ---------- Previous post was at 21:44 ----------

This + Operation Trebuchet = PERFECT MOD O_o

OMG, that is just to much, My computer would explode lol

This + Operation Trebuchet = PERFECT MOD O_o

We looked at that back during TEI. Unfortunately performance and all was just too bad for it to be feasible.

yeah cosmos engine looks sick, if i recall correctly and i may be wrong, it wasnt only performance but most people wouldn't be able to handle it mentally, imagine the amounts of new pants you would have to purchase weekly... just kid'n but really, we wanted it too guys...

So it looks like people have gotten a little heated about discussing weapons that may or may not be upcoming. I'd like to clear the air on a few things before things get out of hand and too off topic. (Disclaimer: I only speak for myself, not the other devs.)

We have a lot of things (vehicles, weapons, equipment, locations, etc.) that we want to add to the mod. Some will be higher priority than others. In the weapons department, the trend has been to develop weapons that have a presence in the games first. This has a number of reasons including practicality and efficiency. It's a lot easier to develop a weapon that already has a 360 degree reference model that exists and known stats about its performance. These weapons will also be more immediately familiar to players and fill critical functional roles. Yes, it's a bit odd that the innies have full access to MA5s and BR55's right now, but those weapons fulfill a functional purpose. At some point in the very near future, more appropriate weapons will be introduced and in some cases directly replace those inappropriately advanced weapons. There will be the odd AR or BR that makes its way in at the hands of a deserter, but as a whole, innies will be distinctly older tech.

As many of us know, the games only cover a fraction of the weapons mentioned in the expanded universe. Personally, I have gone through and researched every UNSC weapon mentioned on both wikis and in other source material with the same diligence I'd study insurgent weapons and capabilities for my job. My personal goal is to at some point get most, if not all of those weapons into the game in one form or another. Unfortunately, unlike weapons present in the games, expanded universe weapons are going to be lacking a lot of critical info beyond just appearance. What caliber is the MA3? Is it 7.62 like the MA5 family or something else? What size magazine does the HMG-38 have? Does the MA2B have an ammo counter like the BR? How does the MA5K's dispersion compare to the MA5B or C's? What level of zoom does the stanchion go to? How is the M40 pistol different from the M6 series?

This is not to say it is impossible to create a weapon with little to go on. The M73 LMG was a matter of building a weapon around a concept image. Some people here and on the subreddit have suggested the M739 SAW from Halo 4 would be a better fit, since it is canonical and it was used in the insurrection era. This weapon will probably find its way into the mod eventually in some capacity, but there is a lot in the queue before it.

Even though I, and presumably the others, do a lot of extensive research prior to introducing something, we aren't machines and we can't read all 7,777 pages of the expanded lore to find all descriptions of a given weapon. The "information gaps" leave a lot of room for interpretation. What I have in my mind as an MA3 is almost certainly not what you have in mind. For this reason, you are more than welcome to post your ideas of how you think a particular weapon might look, but understand that we may go a different round. For the MA3, I've received a number of suggestions on how to go with it. I've been taking everything into account, and I may take elements from a number of peoples' concepts to incorporate into the final product (whenever that comes. We're in the concept stage with this still).

As a side note, if you guys have done some research on aspects of a given weapon, I'd super appreciate a source to go with it, as I've more than once have someone give me bad information based on their mis-remembering canon.

This is not to say it is impossible to create a weapon with little to go on. The M73 LMG was a matter of building a weapon around a concept image. Some people here and on the subreddit have suggested the M739 SAW from Halo 4 would be a better fit, since it is canonical and it was used in the insurrection era. This weapon will probably find its way into the mod eventually in some capacity, but there is a lot in the queue before it.

At least the M739 is considered, It fells more a SF LMG then the current M73 LMG.

Now I wont lie, I was throwing other Ideas on the MA3 but i didn't think he and I were arguing, more debating. But trooper was right and I conceded defeat for he was right I'm one to admit if I'm wrong.

** ON OTHER NEWS **

New Cannon Fodder is out on Halo Waypoint

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/community/blog-posts/canon-fodder-puzzled-expression

With information added about the UEG

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/universe/factions/ueg

and the colony of Eberus VII

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/universe/locations/erebus-vii

THIS WEEK IN HALO HISTORY

To find out what was going on in the Halo universe at the beginning of May in 2536, let’s revisit a fan-favorite Halo novel that opened our imaginations to a different breed of Spartan, and showed us that not all alien worlds are quite what they seem.

1647 HOURS, MAY 1, 2531 (MILITARY CALENDAR) \ 111 TAURI SYSTEM, CAMP NEW HOPE, PLANET VICTORIA

John, SPARTAN-117, despite being encased in a half ton of angular MJOLNIR armor, moved like a shadow through the twilight forest underbrush. The guard on the perimeter of Base New Hope drew on a cigarette, took a ï¬nal puff, and tossed the butt. John lunged, a whisper rustle, and he wrapped his arm around the man’s neck, wrenching it up with a pop. The guard’s cigarette hit the ground. Nearby crickets resumed their night song.

John pinged his status to the rest of Blue Team. Four green LED lights winked on his display, indicating the rest of the extended perimeter guards had been neutralized. The next objective was a delivery gate, the weakest part of the rebel base’s defense system. The guardhouse had two men outside, two on the rooftop, and several inside. Past this, however, the base had impressive security even by Spartan standards: motion and seismic sensors, a triple layering of guards, trained dogs, and overhead MAKO-class drones. John blinked his status light green: the signal to proceed with the next phase…

Want to learn more? Check out Halo: Ghosts of Onyx (2006) by Eric Nylund

---------- Post added at 01:16 ---------- Previous post was at 01:04 ----------

Also for map ideas

Talitsa

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/universe/locations/talitsa

Was the planet on Halo: New Blood with Heavy Insurrectionist activity

That Alpha-Nine went to destroy and Micky betrayed Buck and Romeo

We had something like forty rebels surrounding us, maybe more. I couldn’t tell for sure at the time, with my face half planted in the dirt. They carried an assortment of mix-and-match rifles and wore the kind of battle armor that I’d first been issued when I started with the ODSTs, although they’d painted it a rusty camouflage pattern to help them blend in with the local terrain.

Few of their weapons or suits of armor matched up well. The Front didn’t have the robust supply chain of the UNSC, and I suspected they’d mostly stolen their gear from wherever they could find it. Some of them had probably even walked off with it when they’d gone AWOL from the UNSC

So it looks like people have gotten a little heated about discussing weapons that may or may not be upcoming. I'd like to clear the air on a few things before things get out of hand and too off topic. (Disclaimer: I only speak for myself, not the other devs.)

We have a lot of things (vehicles, weapons, equipment, locations, etc.) that we want to add to the mod. Some will be higher priority than others. In the weapons department, the trend has been to develop weapons that have a presence in the games first. This has a number of reasons including practicality and efficiency. It's a lot easier to develop a weapon that already has a 360 degree reference model that exists and known stats about its performance. These weapons will also be more immediately familiar to players and fill critical functional roles. Yes, it's a bit odd that the innies have full access to MA5s and BR55's right now, but those weapons fulfill a functional purpose. At some point in the very near future, more appropriate weapons will be introduced and in some cases directly replace those inappropriately advanced weapons. There will be the odd AR or BR that makes its way in at the hands of a deserter, but as a whole, innies will be distinctly older tech.

As many of us know, the games only cover a fraction of the weapons mentioned in the expanded universe. Personally, I have gone through and researched every UNSC weapon mentioned on both wikis and in other source material with the same diligence I'd study insurgent weapons and capabilities for my job. My personal goal is to at some point get most, if not all of those weapons into the game in one form or another. Unfortunately, unlike weapons present in the games, expanded universe weapons are going to be lacking a lot of critical info beyond just appearance. What caliber is the MA3? Is it 7.62 like the MA5 family or something else? What size magazine does the HMG-38 have? Does the MA2B have an ammo counter like the BR? How does the MA5K's dispersion compare to the MA5B or C's? What level of zoom does the stanchion go to? How is the M40 pistol different from the M6 series?

Even though I, and presumably the others, do a lot of extensive research prior to introducing something, we aren't machines and we can't read all 7,777 pages of the expanded lore to find all descriptions of a given weapon. The "information gaps" leave a lot of room for interpretation. What I have in my mind as an MA3 is almost certainly not what you have in mind. For this reason, you are more than welcome to post your ideas of how you think a particular weapon might look, but understand that we may go a different round. For the MA3, I've received a number of suggestions on how to go with it. I've been taking everything into account, and I may take elements from a number of peoples' concepts to incorporate into the final product (whenever that comes. We're in the concept stage with this still).

As a side note, if you guys have done some research on aspects of a given weapon, I'd super appreciate a source to go with it, as I've more than once have someone give me bad information based on their mis-remembering canon.

MA3 Stuff:

Which is basically what Theronett and I were doing, tossing ideas and thinking critcally about what the MA3 is, it's role both in combat and the evolution of ARs in the Halo universe, and it's characteristics. There wasn't any heated discussion, at least not to my knowledge. Throwing around opposing ideas and widely differing concepts is how great designs are made. My designs were done rather quickly and tried to follow the traits described for the weapon, seen here: http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/MA3_Assault_Rifle

Cannot be field stripped and cannot be modified, by that we can assume the weapon is a tad bland in terms of bells and whistles and likely shares a close resemblance with the MA37 and MA5B since it was replaced by those rifles. Looking at our own history, weapons like the M16 family of weapons and their iterations throughout the years can probably give some influence on it's design in terms of being older-looking. The concept art for the MA37 is a great reference place for finding Halo-looking designs for rifles: http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20150402133147/halo/images/f/f5/HR-MA37_concepts.jpg . This is basically what I mixed and matched in my concepts to keep the weapon looking like it belongs in Halo, which is really important. Many fan-made weapons or interpretations often lose that Halo touch. The offset angles, bullpup systems, low amount of tac-rails, ammo counters, low amount of visual noise, etc.

I think as long as we keep some of those ideas in mind when designing this weapon, it will come out fantastic. Just the two cents of a community member.

I also understand that this is low priority, neither of us demanded this for the next update. Just discussing possible assets is all, and that's generally how it goes. If we started discussing the M99 SAR, it wouldn't be because we expected it tomorrow. We would want whatever information is brought to the surface become a reference for the concept artists to refer to later on when they develop the weapon. It's all to help the developers and provide information that can be accessed at a later time without having to search a million wiki articles, like you described. Because I'm pretty sure Theronnett and I both have a fixation for information articles, so it works out.

For now, I'm most interested in the Cougar, Scorpion, MA37, and M392 making their appearances. I agree strongly that assets seen in the video games should be brought forth first (even though the Cougar wasn't, but it fills an important role whereas the MA3 can be substituted with a few weapons). In the future I hope we see amazing representations of weapons we've heard only descriptions of. Luckily, however, most of them have at least a comic book reference photo to give the design some kind of direction.

I apologize for misreading the situation. Internet's inability to deliver intonation and all that.

It's funny you should mention the Reach concepts as one of them particularly stuck out to me as what an MA-3 might look like and will serve as the basic framework. I won't say which one, but once modeling starts to take place, it will become immediately apparent. You and another individual have given me some great additional concepts that, if not fully fitting for the MA-3, may offer some useful design aspects I could borrow and incorporate.

Edited by HkUrban

I apologize for misreading the situation. Internet's inability to deliver intonation and all that.

It's funny you should mention the Reach concepts as one of them particularly stuck out to me as what an MA-3 might look like and will serve as the basic framework. I won't say which one, but once modeling starts to take place, it will become immediately apparent. You and another individual have given me some great additional concepts that, if not fully fitting for the MA-3, may offer some useful design aspects I could borrow and incorporate.

I'm honestly glad to hear you're using those designs, those are some really cool concept pieces. And I'm glad we could provide assistance! I wouldn't expect you to fully use any designs I submit, but pick certain aspects of them as reference. ANY of those designs on the MA37 page looks fitting for an MA3 if I'm being honest, so I'm eager to see which one was chosen.

I'm honestly glad to hear you're using those designs, those are some really cool concept pieces. And I'm glad we could provide assistance! I wouldn't expect you to fully use any designs I submit, but pick certain aspects of them as reference. ANY of those designs on the MA37 page looks fitting for an MA3 if I'm being honest, so I'm eager to see which one was chosen.

Yep. As trooper stated before. When he and I state stuff. We are never asking them to be done right away and for a lot of items I clearly state that and am throwing it on the table. ( but for some reason That sentence or two is always skipped and its treated like I want it now lol)

I think the only thing I truly would like to be done soon is to separate the armor from the fatigues. I have a few artist in my clan that would love toale their own armor and camo patterns for the mod and even share it with the public. But the way it is right now. It would be very time consuming and would be giant file sizes just to add let's say one camo pattern for the fatigues that can match all 5, including ODST, armor sets in the game.

Instead of having one uniform that you can swap the 5 armors across. The current model you have to make a uniform to match all armor varriants. So a design mod pack that would've been 1 uniform has now turned into 20 and the people in my team just doesn't want to deal with the effort and the pain of the file sizes it take up when they really get into the uniforms. (People love their German and Columbian SF camo patterns lol)

For we are a tactical realism unit and not milsim. So we allow the adding of camo patterns to the mod pack. As long it's a woodland for missions that require it and desert for desert missions. You can wear any pattern you want. And during pvp, you can go crazy. For example. When the templates are released. I'm going to get a custom set of SPECWAR/Group 3 armor made for ODST ops. For why not. They wore Dark Green ODST armor. Just had UNSCDF symbols over marines and wore Dark green woodland Fatigues. Pretty awesome

462924775_640.jpg

Edited by Theronnett

Hi guys just a quick note to wish you all the best of luck and success with this mod. Looks like you've put together a great team. Cant wait to play it.

Cheers

Pomigit

Hi guys just a quick note to wish you all the best of luck and success with this mod. Looks like you've put together a great team. Cant wait to play it.

Cheers

Pomigit

There is already a alpha out with a lot of assets already. Basically everyone is play testing it now and talking about future ideas and what is to be added.

** Other news **

So I was asked by one of the devs to ask a series of questions for them for 343I to clear up on the Canon Q&A. So in order to raise it's chance of getting answered. I would appreciate if you have a halo waypoint account, to like the post. To make it into a much sought after answer for the next Canon Fodder Post on Halo Waypoint

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/db05ce78845f4120b062c50816008e5d/topics/official-canon-fodder-community-q-a-submissions/0d0e528f-bad1-4f34-9f3a-41a1d9735204/posts?page=16#post301

Cheers

Pomigit

thanks man, same goes for your mod, cant wait to hop on a speeder :) anything we can help with let us know.

I didn't like how the rocket launcher looked so I revamped it. The gloss channel was completely wrong, now it not only looks more accurate to the Halo games, but also holds a better sense of realism:

http://puu.sh/hzs6L.jpg

http://puu.sh/hzszs.jpg

Nice. Looks amazing.

(On a side note, I do like what 343I did for the new rockets for halo 5 were the troopers reload a magazine over the whole tube like the spnkr, just more realistic, though the original rocket is still in as a legendary rocket launcher)

I didn't like how the rocket launcher looked so I revamped it. The gloss channel was completely wrong, now it not only looks more accurate to the Halo games, but also holds a better sense of realism:

http://puu.sh/hzs6L.jpg

http://puu.sh/hzszs.jpg

sweet mother theresa on the hood of a mercedes benz, that is the definition of beautiful. any chances of other assets getting a texture overhaul too? For instance the vehicles, specially the warthog wheels. Also I am the only one that thinks that the falcon textures look very ''clean'' compared to the pelican and warthog? They also seem to use a different color scheme. The only one that looks alright is the snow one, though there is no snow pelican.

sweet mother theresa on the hood of a mercedes benz, that is the definition of beautiful. any chances of other assets getting a texture overhaul too? For instance the vehicles, specially the warthog wheels. Also I am the only one that thinks that the falcon textures look very ''clean'' compared to the pelican and warthog? They also seem to use a different color scheme. The only one that looks alright is the snow one, though there is no snow pelican.

While I agree that some texture refinement is needed on a few of the assets, I don't think it's a pressing issue at the moment.

Getting new assets modeled, textured, polished, bug-tested, and out the door is what's more important. Once they have their list of assets out the door, then I think that's when they should go back and refine everything more. Otherwise, it's going to be a long and painful process to get new assets out.

As for the rocket launcher, the chrome looks really cool on it. Can't wait to see it in-game.