thedog88

Operation Trebuchet - Total conversion mod for Arma 3

It's not too unbelievable. Russian soldiers tend to have a rag-tag assortment of different uniforms, and national guardsmen in the US tend to have older equipment. Heck, the Canadian Rangers only just phased out the Lee-Enfield. Now imagine you're not dealing with the military of a major power, but a multi-system interstellar military that has multiple planetary garrisons. Some planets may design their own specific patterns for equipment (at least for camo) and could be using various patterns of the same rifle, some of which could be decades old. Some older equipment could be produced in more backwater areas just because it may be more economical for the moment.

@Theron Nett: You don't cite any sources in that post you made on waypoint, though. They may be willing to add H2A/Halo Wars armor, but I don't think they will unless someone else makes them.

@Devs: Any chance of getting some armor pieces that appeared in H:CEA, seeing as how they're very close to the Reach assets chronologically and aesthetically?

It also seems the BR55 is actually weaker in 1.3? It takes 8 shots to down arma or UNSC soldier with a BR, but 5 with a MA5. Maybe I kept hitting their weapon

Oh, i'm not telling them to make it, Just this whole thing of it being Artistic changes may have been the case during Bungie's era, But 343I has been taking a different stance for Lore and that Multiple armor's existing. Especially a Human empire that spanned over a 1000 world, Not every unit is going to get the latest and newest equipment. Why even though being outdated by the M52B armor for well over 20 years, the Insurrection Era armor was still issued out past 2557 as seen in Halo: Spartan Strike game. In the Pictures of the Levels in Halo Spartan Assault, were both the UNSC marines and Army were fighting off covenant forces, they showed UNSC forces with multiple armor variants

Assault Rifles

MA5D - Marines

MA37 - Army

Precision Rifles

BR- Marines

DMR- Army

Shotguns

M90 Close Assault Weapon System - marines

M45 Tactical Shotgun - Army

The army and marines were already using different weapon systems

I figure for the BR and DMR they could take some inspiration from Halo 4. I don't get what would the tactical difference be.

I wonder how they'd make the M45 and M90 different. The M90 was used in the main trilogy, with the M45 being used only in Reach. Apparently they were both in use at the same time, but the M45 was mostly replaced by the M90 in the Marine Corps. But the Army was still using the M45 as their mainstay. http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/M90_Close_Assault_Weapon_System#cite_note-4

@ 880Zero: It certainly wouldn't be unreasonable for the Army to have the MA37 & M45 with the Marines using the MA5B & M90. The US doesn't have a completely uniform arms selection across their branches. They're meant to be different models in canon. Why do we not have the MA37 & MA5B in Halo:CEA and Halo Reach despite being in the same timespan? Gameplay reasons like you said. 343 wanted to just do a graphical update for HCEA, which is one reason why we don't see the MA37.

Edited by ltfrankie

As far as weapons go, it was a new game and Bungie made new weapons for their new game. If Marines are supposed to be using the MA5B/C/D/whatever, why were they using MA37 in Halo Reach and then MA5B in Halo CEA? You're saying that the marines in Reach threw their MA37s out the airlock on their way to Halo and magically got some MA5Bs? It's just that Bungie made new weapons and armor for their new game. To build on this further, the marines in Halo 4 used DMRs, yet you say they're strictly for Army. Your reasoning stems from what the units in a particular game use. I just did my own research and even though the BR55 superseded the DMR, it was still in use by all branches. The M90 shotgun is also supposed to be a law enforcement and sportsman shotgun while the M45 is for the military.

Hence why they didn't change the armor in Halo: Reach and was used in Halo: CEA.

Did you know if you used a hacked xbox and get a warthog in the level and put "Marines" it, the camera zooms out and when that happens, the UNSC decals, turn back into UNSC Army. Same thing happens with the Marines in Halo: CEA. get them in a warthog. and watch the marines decals turn back into army

Decals in most games use alpha overlay textures for lettering and images on a model that would otherwise be too low detail to read on the texture. Bungie has been doing this since Halo 2. They use multiple textures for the same unit to make them look different. In this case, at a certain distance the overlays revert to the default texture across all units to save memory, the default in Reach being the army textures as the Marines were only in one mission. Because they used the same assets in CEA, its the same issue.

I wonder how they'd make the M45 and M90 different. And I think the Marines actually used both shotgun models. I figure for the BR and DMR they could take some inspiration from Halo 4. I don't get what would the tactical difference be.

The marines used the M90 in Halo 1-3, but in halo: CEA, it turned into the Halo: Halo: CEA, they used the M45, which 343 called the M45E.

The reason the Pillar of Autumn had no M90s in Halo: CEA. Spartans.

Source Data Drop #6 http://www.halopedia.org/Data_Drop

---------- Post added at 21:58 ---------- Previous post was at 21:48 ----------

Decals in most games use alpha overlay textures for lettering and images on a model that would otherwise be too low detail to read on the texture. Bungie has been doing this since Halo 2. They use multiple textures for the same unit to make them look different. In this case, at a certain distance the overlays revert to the default texture across all units to save memory, the default in Reach being the army textures as the Marines were only in one mission. Because they used the same assets in CEA, its the same issue.

Look, All i'm saying that they're might be different armor Models Out there, the UNSC is Pretty damn big. Those in the outer Rim not getting geared as well as those in the Inner colonies. But the best way for this to be solved is the Ask Grim who is the 343 community manager who answer's the communities questions when it comes to lore.

Yes I agree as each new game comes a new team and a new Art Direction, But once that Item Is in the universe, it isn't "replaced" unless stated so like bungie when it came to the Halo 2: Original and halo 3 armor. Or 343I saying the Halo: CEA and H2A replacing their respective Games in visuals.

But everything else Canon wise stays. Just like it does with Warhammer 40K, Star Wars, Star Trek, and many other series with a large Universe like that of halo

@Theronnett: Not to be a grammar nazi, but I'm going to be a grammar nazi. You capitalize only the letter at the beginning of a sentence unless it's a noun. Adjectives such as "pretty" are not nouns.

Anyway, I checked out the halo waypoint site.

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/universe/weapons/dmr

So the DMR should definitely be around. It was largely replaced by Battle Rifle, with only UNSC Army and Marine Reserve units using the DMR.

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/universe/weapons/assault-rifle

Halo waypoint specifies the MA37 as being an Army weapon.

I have to agree with Theron and ltfrankie. It isn't very hard to believe that the UNSC would have multiple amounts of gear across their branches. As we see this in the US and a lot of other military's across the world. This addition to the Marines looking like their respective counterparts in Halo 2 Anniversary would also heavily diversify them from the Army. Just suggestions.

@Theronnett: Not to be a grammar nazi, but I'm going to be a grammar nazi. You capitalize only the letter at the beginning of a sentence unless it's a noun. Adjectives such as "pretty" are not nouns.

Sorry, I'm a bit ADD, happens when you get blown up by IEDs, Hand grenades and a 500lbs rocket landing 30m for your room

I have to agree with Theron and ltfrankie. It isn't very hard to believe that the UNSC would have multiple amounts of gear across their branches. As we see this in the US and a lot of other military's across the world. This addition to the Marines looking like their respective counterparts in Halo 2 Anniversary would also heavily diversify them from the Army. Just suggestions.

When I was in the Army, I wore a OTV, and when I deployed to Iraq, they issued me a IOTV, my buddy who went to Afgan got plate carriers. And my brother in the Marines got a completely different model of plate carriers then my Friend who deployed with the 82nd

Oh, i'm not telling them to make it, Just this whole thing of it being Artistic changes may have been the case during Bungie's era, But 343I has been taking a different stance for Lore and that Multiple armor's existing. Especially a Human empire that spanned over a 1000 world, Not every unit is going to get the latest and newest equipment. Why even though being outdated by the M52B armor for well over 20 years, the Insurrection Era armor was still issued out past 2557 as seen in Halo: Spartan Strike game. In the Pictures of the Levels in Halo Spartan Assault, were both the UNSC marines and Army were fighting off covenant forces, they showed UNSC forces with multiple armor variants

haha, just got source proof in different variants of armor

The revised Encyclopedia says so on pages 56 and 57.

Halo 4: The Essential Visual Guide reiterates this on page 32.

Anyway, I checked out the halo waypoint site.

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/universe/weapons/dmr

So the DMR should definitely be around. It was largely replaced by Battle Rifle, with only UNSC Army and Marine Reserve units using the DMR.

Reread that Itfrankie

"Though its popularity diminished with the adoption of the Battle Rifle, the weapon’s reliability, efficacy, and use of standard M118 ammunition ensured that it remained standard issue for Army sharpshooters and reconnaissance teams."

Though you have to consider the post is written for the Time period of 2557

Edited by Theronnett

Just had a random thought pop into my head during a slow day at work: would it be possible to have civilians, as well as civilian dressed insurrectionists? I think it would at a lot to the immersion and mission options, especially in the planned city maps.

Here you guys go. The 1st in a series of Halo: Reach in detail photos for you guys, took 2 hours from playing the level to getting them all uploaded. -_-

http://imgur.com/a/ANQwn

---------- Post added at 02:52 ---------- Previous post was at 02:47 ----------

For Forest Camo. this is pretty damn cool

Halo: Reach. Winter Contingency

USNC ARMY

http://i.imgur.com/OiYpSB2.jpg (248 kB)

Here you guys go. The 1st in a series of Halo: Reach in detail photos for you guys, took 2 hours from playing the level to getting them all uploaded. -_-

http://imgur.com/a/ANQwn

---------- Post added at 02:52 ---------- Previous post was at 02:47 ----------

For Forest Camo. this is pretty damn cool

Halo: Reach. Winter Contingency

USNC ARMY

http://i.imgur.com/OiYpSB2.jpg (248 kB)

Already handled that, dont worry, but the uniform textures are not top priority ATM

Already handled that, dont worry, but the uniform textures are not top priority ATM

I was asked kinda to get a lot of pictures, sense it is a pain getting them off of reach, i figure i would get them out of the way now so when i'm asked to take specific pictures, most of the other stuff is pretty much out of the way. You know, took me 2 hours to get these pictures uploaded, and that was one Level imagine how long it is going to take me to get all the rest. Why I am knocking them out now, to built up high detail reference now so when they are needed, they are there and not waiting all day or searching online for low grade stuff

oh dont worry, i save all refrence libraries like this. if it wont be used now it will at some point :) thank you so much! that is really awesome stuff!

That Falcon is looking really good Dog. Can't wait to see it in game.

oh dont worry, i save all refrence libraries like this. if it wont be used now it will at some point :) thank you so much! that is really awesome stuff!

yeah, Its really a pain getting pictures from XBox 360 over the One. I'm in the middle of sword base At the moment. As I pm'd you the process of how I have to do it. it is a pain, but you have admit, the quality is better then when I tested it out with the video capture, so the extra but of time going through halo waypoint is totally worth it

Debate regarding the uniforms:

For all this debate on the continuity of the uniforms used for the UNSC branches, I'd have to agree that it probably varied among different sections of each branch. Why else would 343i blatantly use the marine BDUs in H2A as opposed to the ones in Reach? They could have used the BDUs in Reach but they didn't, and I think it's safe to assume that it just varies around the military.

Aesthetically, however, I think we associate the Reach-era armor for being older simply because we know that game takes place before the other games, which fits with the mod a bit more. Unfortunately, we don't have much information on the individual BDUs throughout the Halo games.

Solution: different marine units from different regiments. This would probably allow the developers to dive into a sort of story. You could have the 128th (or whatever) for the current marines, and later on introduce other regiments with different sets of armor. The 128th with the Reach-era armor could be deployed on Eridanus II, meanwhile the 212th could dawn the Halo 2A armor and be deployed in New Mombassa. This allows both sides to have what they want and would allow it to be up to the users of the mod to decide where each Marine regiment goes.

Helmet attachments:

Other topic that I wanted to discuss was the HUD eye piece for the helmets. I believe these should be exclusive to team leaders, and would have an advanced HUD to allow them to manage their own team more easily, as well as night vision/low light capabilities. That way, not everyone has the eye piece, and that it serves a legitimate purpose.

Or, it could be available to everyone, and everyone can have a Halo-style HUD and NV capabilities.

Along those same lines, it would be interesting to see helmet attachments take the NVG slot in the inventory. Certain units in the Halo games (Reach in particular) can be seen with either a set of goggles on top of the helmet, or a light of some sort, and it might be a good idea to somehow incorporate those in the NVG slot. For instance, if I stumble upon a dead Marine Force Recon unit, I could take the goggles off the top of his helmet and put it on my own to have long range visibility. Or instead, they could have a scanner for mines or a light, the possibilities are endless.

Other things for consideration:

Spade (dunno any practical use other than it being cool)

http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Spade

H-165 FOM (possible incorporation with the frigate?)

http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/H-165_FOM_Target_Locator

M319 IGL (somewhat useless considering many ARs come equipped with GLs, possible rebalancing may make it useful)

http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/M319_Individual_Grenade_Launcher

M71 AA (possible use for ground bases)

http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/M71_Anti-Aircraft_Gun

M99 (not sure what use it would hold in tangent with the SRS99, however it would be interesting to see this)

http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Model_99_Special_Application_Scoped_Rifle

Debate regarding the uniforms:

For all this debate on the continuity of the uniforms used for the UNSC branches, I'd have to agree that it probably varied among different sections of each branch. Why else would 343i blatantly use the marine BDUs in H2A as opposed to the ones in Reach? They could have used the BDUs in Reach but they didn't, and I think it's safe to assume that it just varies around the military.

Aesthetically, however, I think we associate the Reach-era armor for being older simply because we know that game takes place before the other games, which fits with the mod a bit more. Unfortunately, we don't have much information on the individual BDUs throughout the Halo games.

Solution: different marine units from different regiments. This would probably allow the developers to dive into a sort of story. You could have the 128th (or whatever) for the current marines, and later on introduce other regiments with different sets of armor. The 128th with the Reach-era armor could be deployed on Eridanus II, meanwhile the 212th could dawn the Halo 2A armor and be deployed in New Mombassa. This allows both sides to have what they want and would allow it to be up to the users of the mod to decide where each Marine regiment goes.

Helmet attachments:

Other topic that I wanted to discuss was the HUD eye piece for the helmets. I believe these should be exclusive to team leaders, and would have an advanced HUD to allow them to manage their own team more easily, as well as night vision/low light capabilities. That way, not everyone has the eye piece, and that it serves a legitimate purpose.

Or, it could be available to everyone, and everyone can have a Halo-style HUD and NV capabilities.

Along those same lines, it would be interesting to see helmet attachments take the NVG slot in the inventory. Certain units in the Halo games (Reach in particular) can be seen with either a set of goggles on top of the helmet, or a light of some sort, and it might be a good idea to somehow incorporate those in the NVG slot. For instance, if I stumble upon a dead Marine Force Recon unit, I could take the goggles off the top of his helmet and put it on my own to have long range visibility. Or instead, they could have a scanner for mines or a light, the possibilities are endless.

Other things for consideration:

Spade (dunno any practical use other than it being cool)

http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Spade

H-165 FOM (possible incorporation with the frigate?)

http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/H-165_FOM_Target_Locator

M319 IGL (somewhat useless considering many ARs come equipped with GLs, possible rebalancing may make it useful)

http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/M319_Individual_Grenade_Launcher

M71 AA (possible use for ground bases)

http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/M71_Anti-Aircraft_Gun

M99 (not sure what use it would hold in tangent with the SRS99, however it would be interesting to see this)

http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Model_99_Special_Application_Scoped_Rifle

Pretty much what I had in mind with the armor, for some reason I think people thought I meant to completely get rid of the reach armor. The Halo 4: Essential guide and rework encyclopedia basically stated that the UNSC was so vast that not everyone was able to to be equipped with the latest hardware and that units in the outer colonies having it the worst. And that Reserve and Melita units kept with the lowest level of gear for fear that if they end up working for the insurrection, they wouldn't lose top end equipment to the innes

basically Insurrection Era Marine =/= Reach > M52B (More designed to fight covenant then Insurrection, came out in 2531) > Halo 4 armor (post Covenant war)

---------- Post added at 05:45 ---------- Previous post was at 05:16 ----------

just took 172 pictures of sword base level. going to upload them tomorrow. Lots of cool stuff. Got carried away a bit. 1 Unique camo pattern for it. But 3 different color schemes using the same pattern, you'll see when I post it

Also. I was looking, Several of the Troopers Had base plates on their helmets meant to attach traditional NVGs

Edited by Theronnett

Pretty much what I had in mind with the armor, for some reason I think people thought I meant to completely get rid of the reach armor. The Halo 4: Essential guide and rework encyclopedia basically stated that the UNSC was so vast that not everyone was able to to be equipped with the latest hardware and that units in the outer colonies having it the worst. And that Reserve and Melita units kept with the lowest level of gear for fear that if they end up working for the insurrection, they wouldn't lose top end equipment to the innes

basically Insurrection Era Marine =/= Reach > M52B (More designed to fight covenant then Insurrection, came out in 2531) > Halo 4 armor (post Covenant war)

---------- Post added at 05:45 ---------- Previous post was at 05:16 ----------

just took 172 pictures of sword base level. going to upload them tomorrow. Lots of cool stuff. Got carried away a bit. 1 Unique camo pattern for it. But 3 different color schemes using the same pattern, you'll see when I post it

Also. I was looking, Several of the Troopers Had base plates on their helmets meant to attach traditional NVGs

Problem is, we've never actually seen a pair of NVGs in the Halo universe at all. Just night vision for MJOLNIR helmets and VISR for ODSTs, and a night vision scope for the SRS99. That base plate could simply be an aesthetic addition by the artists. I don't think it really matters though, I'm not sure what alternatives to traditional NV could be given to basic units.

Back to the armor variants though. Could this possibly be applied to the ODSTs as well? On the former thread, the discussion of whether the ODSTs should look like the ones from Reach or from Halo 3 was brought up but I don't know if it ever concluded. Perhaps the different regiments could also solve this issue as well.

Halo Reach ODST: http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120514230231/halo/images/9/9d/HR_Campagin-Exodus_ODSTGroup.jpg

Halo 3 ODST: http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100413124735/halo/images/2/27/The_Rookie.jpg

Problem is, we've never actually seen a pair of NVGs in the Halo universe at all. Just night vision for MJOLNIR helmets and VISR for ODSTs, and a night vision scope for the SRS99. That base plate could simply be an aesthetic addition by the artists. I don't think it really matters though, I'm not sure what alternatives to traditional NV could be given to basic units.

Back to the armor variants though. Could this possibly be applied to the ODSTs as well? On the former thread, the discussion of whether the ODSTs should look like the ones from Reach or from Halo 3 was brought up but I don't know if it ever concluded. Perhaps the different regiments could also solve this issue as well.

Halo Reach ODST: http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120514230231/halo/images/9/9d/HR_Campagin-Exodus_ODSTGroup.jpg

Halo 3 ODST: http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100413124735/halo/images/2/27/The_Rookie.jpg

yeah the ODSTs feel a little too bulky in game. The ODSTs in game look very light and nimble

As a team we decided that the main influence will be Reach, so ODST units will look more like their Reach counterparts using the universal BDU from Reach instead of their BDU in Halo 3/ODST.

The grey-ish urban camo on the ODST looks so much cooler than just plain black

Holy... That planned assets list is soo huge! It is more than half than TEI, EPIC WIN.

About the halo wars falcon, in TEI it was: FA-78 "Gladius" Manned Fighter ("Falcon" fighter from Halo Wars) , you can keep that name or change it to something like Eagle or Katana, it ould be strange to have 2 falcons.

No M850 Main Battle Tank ''Grizzly''? Why not? I mean, you even added the Vulture in that list which is the most OP vehicle the unsc could have lol Why something that has 2 120 mm cannons and it is a main battle tank would not be added?

Some comments regarding vehicle list:

GA-TL1 "Longsword" Bomber/CAS (Its so big I cant wait to see it in arma, VTOL right?)

AH-144 "Falcon" Transport (Nice to see it textured, though what weapons will it have at the end?)

AV-14 "Hornet" CAS (Litlebird of the future, it had to happen)

F99 "Wombat" (Its going to be nice to se an air superiority drone in arma 3)

AV-22 “Sparrowhawk†(Oh yes finally a proper gunship!)

AC-220 “Vulture†(This thing is the AC-130 of the future, I'm surprised you wanted to add it, covenant mod is going to need scarabs)

D96-TCE “Albatross†(Look at the http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/D82-EST_Darter they look very similar, sine the albatross is from halo 2 I think you could ''redesign'' it a little, darter is a good reference))

B-65 "Shortsword" (Not sure if this is necessary as we already have quite a lot of aircrafts, but its nice to see more halo wars vehicles. The longsword is already CAS/Bomber, I don't see a need of this one)

Falcon (fighter jet) (Gladius, katana, eagle... Look at the beginning of my post)

M808B "Scorpion" (105 mm gun)

M808B2 “Sun Devil†(Twin 40 mm autocannons, its going to be useful even as AA)

M808B3 “Tarantula†(I did not know UNSC had MLRS, very nice)

M97 "Cougar" (Hell yeah! At least this protects passengers from firearms unlike the warthog)

SP42 "Cobra" (While its a cool vehicle, i'm not sure it would work well in arma 3, it has 2 firemodes and 1 is static, im not sure it could work as a proper artillery in arma 3)

M312 "Elephant" (That is big! I can see this vehicle as a command one and used to deploy HQs, lots of armor)

M274 "Mongoose" (Although we have an ATV in arma 3 already this is a must too)

M9 “Wolverine†(Indeed we need something more powerful than the AA warthog)

M179 Fox Cannon (This I think that would be a better option in arma 3 than the Rhino or cobra, it should be added IMO)

no grizzly? :(

(with all the stuff below I am expecting a Eridanus Life mod lol)

HuCiv Genet

HuCiv Genet (Police)

HuCiv HC1500

Ãœberchassis Luxury Sports Car

TurboGen Independent Wheel Drive Spade

Traxus S-2 Cargo Transporter

(So many ships below, blowing my mind. It's nice to see variety but doing all that stuff its going to take a long time)

Charon Class Frigate

Civilian Transport Vessel

Civilian Cargo Vessel

Class 3 Bumblebee

ONI Prowler

UNSC Corvette

Overall I'm quite happy with the planned assets, and you added so many complex stuff that I'm surprised you did not add the grizzly since it is a main battle tank, scorpion is more lighter. You even added the vulture which is OP and a shortsword when the longsword already fills the role. And a prowler and corvette apart from the frigate, those things are quite huge too. you are quite ambitious, aren't you? :)

About ODSTS having a Reach approach,, I agree their camo is still quite dark and it looks much cooler IMO.

Edited by nightovizard