Sign in to follow this  
oxmox

Less Than 40 Percent of People Worldwide Have Ever Connected to the Internet

The State of Global Connectivity

State of Connectivity: A Report on Global Internet Access, a new study by Internet.org examines the current state of global internet connectivity and takes a close look at who’s connected, who’s not and why.

The paper uses existing data from the world’s leading sources on connectivity and incorporates our own new findings to examine internet penetration and barriers to further growth.

By early 2015, 3 billion people will be online. This is an incredible milestone, but it also means that only 40% of the world’s population has ever connected to the internet.

stateofconnectivity1.png?w=960&h=441

http://newsroom.fb.com/news/2015/02/the-state-of-global-connectivity/

Interesting, I know my grandparents never connected and never will, their still living in the old school world, and mostly read books, dont have any mobile phones and use a rotary phone still,

use their 1/4 acre garden for their main source of food, make everything themselves mostly food (not clothes or cars) lol, and use 2 wood stoves to heat their home in the winter.

ITU estimates (from which the Internet.org report was derived) are that there would be 2.3bn mobile BB users at the end of 2014 compared with just 0.7bn fixed-line BB subscribers.

The ITU statistics show phenomenal growth in mobile BB, average in developing markets was 26% pa, in developed markets 11.5%. at the end of 2014. Growth is accelerating in many developing markets. The ITU estimates that ~45% of the connected population live in APAC countries.

You can find definitive studies on the ITU statistics pages - http://www.itu.int/en/ITU-D/Statistics/Pages/stat/default.aspx - covering a wide range of ICT indicators. The stat downloads are free

Mobile telecoms are a phenomenon unique in human history; nothing else comes close.

Thats really hard to believe, but then again our very own chancellor has said that "internet is a new land for us".

Yet again the developing countries have a vast majority of human population.

So while I cant imagine a life without internet right now, many people manage quite well without it.

I wonder what kind of technological wonders the future generations will be using, while I wont be even aware of them.

This means that 60% of humanity has never had to face the horror and fear every time a friend sends you a link after they've tricked you into viewing a shock site. Praise the Helix Fossil!