silola

X-Cam 1.0 for Arma 3 released

I just have to add I built objects to the map of Bornholm on my server in another editor, I threw objects through the ACF file and everything worked, the objects were on the map, all was well at home and fences it was. But here it is impossible to generate an error that the file is not found. Chose your editor because there is a lot more opportunities, but here's how to make that the objects were always on the map, not the mission that appear on time.

Hi Silola,

Just wanted to say that the new area selection, and especially the new export by object type are amazingly helpful features! Thanks again for a top quality tool!

Many thanks mate :)

Hi Silola,

Just wanted to say that the new area selection, and especially the new export by object type are amazingly helpful features! Thanks again for a top quality tool!

---------- Post added at 16:56 ---------- Previous post was at 16:53 ----------

I'm sorry Atom89, I have absolutely no idea what you mean :(

I just have to add I built objects to the map of Bornholm on my server in another editor, I threw objects through the ACF file and everything worked, the objects were on the map, all was well at home and fences it was. But here it is impossible to generate an error that the file is not found. Chose your editor because there is a lot more opportunities, but here's how to make that the objects were always on the map, not the mission that appear on time.

If i save file in sqf format same as m3editor do it.

How can i add it to my mission?

I have Bornholm server and i want to add my project to my server.

Dont understand how to run sqf file. Not working if i do same as m3editor sqf file work.

Ok, then u have to go this way (simple example):

Copy the exported sqf file into your mission folder.

If u have already an init.sqf file within your mission folder, then u can start the script there with:

if(isServer) then {execVM "NameOfTheScript.sqf"};

or another solution:

Insert a game logic unit and add this into the initialization field:

fun=if(isServer) then {execVM "NameOfTheScript.sqf"};

Silola

If i save file in sqf format same as m3editor do it.

How can i add it to my mission?

I have Bornholm server and i want to add my project to my server.

Dont understand how to run sqf file. Not working if i do same as m3editor sqf file work.

Do i need to add some addons server side, if i try to add @xCam server wont start?

Thank so much for this fantastic tool. I am currently building an area on a new map and this is so much easier to use than anything else.

I do have a few questions / suggestions if you would be so kind. I have watched a number of the tutorial videos but not all so please forgive me if it is covered there.

1. Is it possible to remap the keys ?.

I am especially finding the [space Bar] functionality to be quite counter intuitive. I create an object, manipulate it in to position with mouse and the left [CTRL] and [ALT] keys and then want to place it. Naturally I am finding I want to hit the [space Bar] rather than taking my hand off the mouse to press the [insert] key with the result of the painstakingly placed object vanishing. Personally I would rather have the [space Bar] and [insert] keys swapped. I there a way I can swap them myself please ?.

2. Is there a way I can stop the camera defaulting to going to a set position above the landscape after every placement ?.

I am building a docks and after I place each item the camera moves to something like 1 meter above the terrain which is under the floor of the docs. I have to constantly zoom out after each placement. Ideally after placement I would like the camera to not change position until I move it.

3. Is it possible to turn off the 'autoselect last placed item' after I delete something. The number of times I have deleted something and then moved the mouse only to find another carefully place object has just been shifted position is quite high. Ideally no select may be better based on how I use it.

4. Any chance of an undo option ( [CTRL] + [Z] mapped to would be good). Unless I save the project after every move there is no way to undo a mistake currently. Just one step backward would be fantastic and save so much time fixing the stupid self inflicted errors.

Again, fantastic tool and so generous of you to provide it to the community after the masses of time you must have spent on it.

If the answers are in the tutorial vids and I may have missed it then if someone would be kind enough to just point me to the correct one then I will just go back and have a look.

4. Any chance of an undo option ( [CTRL] + [Z] mapped to would be good). Unless I save the project after every move there is no way to undo a mistake currently. Just one step backward would be fantastic and save so much time fixing the stupid self inflicted errors.

I believe the "E" key does that

Does anybody have a problem with the "Y" key not working(lock object in y axis). The "X" key function works fine though.

Edited by naizarak

I believe the "E" key does that

Does anybody have a problem with the "Y" key not working(lock object in y axis). The "X" key function works fine though.

Cool, thanks, will give it a go.

Any other responses on the other items from anyone ?.

Remapping the keys is probably the biggest thing for me as I got close to throwing my keyboard out the window after another carefully placed item vanished as I hit the [sPace Bar] to "save" it. I had been working for around 6 hours on the port including a couple of rebuilds and relocations, none of which would have been possible, whilst retaining my sanity, without X-Cam.

Remapping the keys is probably the biggest thing for me as I got close to throwing my keyboard out the window after another carefully placed item vanished as I hit the [sPace Bar] to "save" it. I had been working for around 6 hours on the port including a couple of rebuilds and relocations, none of which would have been possible, whilst retaining my sanity, without X-Cam.

I use the "C" Key alot, even with different objects. So after you placed your Object how you want it, just "C"opy it and then you can safely hit space :D ...

2. Is there a way I can stop the camera defaulting to going to a set position above the landscape after every placement ?. I am building a docks and after I place each item the camera moves to something like 1 meter above the terrain which is under the floor of the docs. I have to constantly zoom out after each placement. Ideally after placement I would like the camera to not change position until I move it.

... or go on with placement and this may also help with your 2) problem a bit.

For 3) no option for that but you can hit "E" to set the object back to its last position.

For 4) again "E" / what naizarak said, but it will only set back the objects positions.

Tried the "Z" key? maybe thats just a keyboard layout issue?

Overall the xcam may work a bit different then things you are used to use (Zeus/MCC/Mapbuilder/???) but after a bit of getting used to the camera and all the shortcuts its quite intuitive ... but I always hit "ESC" to cancel a action anyways by accident. :D

Hi Silola,

is there a way to work with the original BIS objects, like rocks, trees and so on? I want to modify some places on Altis and if i use your xCam objects, i need additional addons for the players which are joining the server. Or is there any other trick?

thx

Dear Silola,

your xCam addon is the only reason why i started to dig in on how to create terrains, maps and missions for ARMA 3.

Sure, this will take massive time, but your tool is so inspiring as it provides endless possibilities. Thanks for this!

P.S.: Maybe it's just me, but I ran into serious issues getting xCam to work with the PlayWithSix version. It simply did not build

initial object library like in your videos. No matter what I was trying. I then just renamed the modfolder from @x-cam to @xCam

like in the manual download. Now xCam did build the object library without any problems.

Hi RimBlock,

sorry for late response.

1. Atm there is no possibility to remap any key. Sorry.

2. You can use the user-defined working height:

Not the best solution, but maybe it helps a bit.

3. You don't need to select an object to delete it. Simply set the focus to any object u want to delete (if no object is selected) and then press the [Del] key.

4. As t-800a already said, press [E] to set the selected object (or all objects within an selection) back to the last known position,

or press [shift] + [E] to set the selected object (or all objects within an selection) back to the last saved position.

Thank so much for this fantastic tool. I am currently building an area on a new map and this is so much easier to use than anything else.

I do have a few questions / suggestions if you would be so kind. I have watched a number of the tutorial videos but not all so please forgive me if it is covered there.

1. Is it possible to remap the keys ?.

I am especially finding the [space Bar] functionality to be quite counter intuitive. I create an object, manipulate it in to position with mouse and the left [CTRL] and [ALT] keys and then want to place it. Naturally I am finding I want to hit the [space Bar] rather than taking my hand off the mouse to press the [insert] key with the result of the painstakingly placed object vanishing. Personally I would rather have the [space Bar] and [insert] keys swapped. I there a way I can swap them myself please ?.

2. Is there a way I can stop the camera defaulting to going to a set position above the landscape after every placement ?.

I am building a docks and after I place each item the camera moves to something like 1 meter above the terrain which is under the floor of the docs. I have to constantly zoom out after each placement. Ideally after placement I would like the camera to not change position until I move it.

3. Is it possible to turn off the 'autoselect last placed item' after I delete something. The number of times I have deleted something and then moved the mouse only to find another carefully place object has just been shifted position is quite high. Ideally no select may be better based on how I use it.

Again, fantastic tool and so generous of you to provide it to the community after the masses of time you must have spent on it.

If the answers are in the tutorial vids and I may have missed it then if someone would be kind enough to just point me to the correct one then I will just go back and have a look.

---------- Post added at 23:36 ---------- Previous post was at 23:27 ----------

Hi Buliwyf, of course it's possible to use the original Arma 3 objects. The best way is to clear the whole X-Cam object library first.

So, please delete all files within this folder (but don't delete the folder): @inidbi\db\xCam\Library_Obj

After this action u will see again the very first dialog, after u restart the X-Cam. Then double-left-click all object classes u want to use with the X-Cam,

but don't select the xcam_* classes ... and press the [start] button to create the new library.

Hi Silola,

is there a way to work with the original BIS objects, like rocks, trees and so on? I want to modify some places on Altis and if i use your xCam objects, i need additional addons for the players which are joining the server. Or is there any other trick?

thx

---------- Post added at 23:45 ---------- Previous post was at 23:36 ----------

Hi HuxFluxD,

thanks for the hint. That's the second mistake by PlayWithSix ... not good :(

So in the future download the X-Cam installation pack from Armaholic.

Silola

Dear Silola,

your xCam addon is the only reason why i started to dig in on how to create terrains, maps and missions for ARMA 3.

Sure, this will take massive time, but your tool is so inspiring as it provides endless possibilities. Thanks for this!

P.S.: Maybe it's just me, but I ran into serious issues getting xCam to work with the PlayWithSix version. It simply did not build

initial object library like in your videos. No matter what I was trying. I then just renamed the modfolder from @x-cam to @xCam

like in the manual download. Now xCam did build the object library without any problems.

Hi RimBlock,

sorry for late response.

1. Atm there is no possibility to remap any key. Sorry.

2. You can use the user-defined working height:

Not the best solution, but maybe it helps a bit.

3. You don't need to select an object to delete it. Simply set the focus to any object u want to delete (if no object is selected) and then press the [Del] key.

4. As t-800a already said, press [E] to set the selected object (or all objects within an selection) back to the last known position,

or press [shift] + [E] to set the selected object (or all objects within an selection) back to the last saved position.

Silola

Hi Silola,

Thanks for the reply.

Cool for 1,2 & 4.

For 3 I think a slight missunderstanding. After I delete an object I have selected the object I placed before the deleted one is automatically selected. Is there anyway to remove that selection so no object is selected after a deletion.

i.e.

I place objects 1,2,3,4,5

I select and delete object 4

X-Cam then selects object 3 after deleting object 4 and waits for my input

Is there any way to stop object 3 being auto selected after object 4 is deleted ?.

One other suggestion. Any possibility to be able to sort the placed object list alphabetically ?.

I have close to 300 objects in the current project. I may want to select a small water barrel of which I have 10 scattered in the list of 300 objects and have to scroll up and down the list trying each one of the water barrel until I find the right one. The doubleclick and drag select is great for a group of objects (thanks so much for adding it) but not so good for a single object in a complex scene. It is sometimes pretty hard to find just the right spot which allows you to select an item. The list is, in this case, the easiest way to get the object selected but it could be easier if I could group the objects by class name rather than by placement order.

Thanks again.

Hi RimBlock,

atm there is no other way of selection available, after u have deleted the selected object, but maybe u can tell me why u need the "no object selected" way?

Because I have no idea why this solution should be better than the current one.

So for example, if u have placed a wall around a structure and then, after the last object was saved you notice,

that the last 12 wall elements are missplaced. Then it's easy to delete these 12 wall elements ...

Press the [End] key to select the last saved object within the current selected project, and then press

the [Del] key as long as you have reached the last correct placed wall element and then u can start to create the objects again....that's easy.

It's not possible to sort the object list alphabetically, but I will think about it.

A simple solution could be, to create a filter, based on the different object types within your project.

Do you know the easiest way to create an object selection with exactly one object type of your choice, anyway how many other object types around?

First select one object and then press [Return], the big one, to start a frame selection.

The selected object type then works as a filter for the frame selection and now the X-Cam selects only this object type within the frame.

Silola

Hi Silola,

Thanks for the reply.

Cool for 1,2 & 4.

For 3 I think a slight missunderstanding. After I delete an object I have selected the object I placed before the deleted one is automatically selected. Is there anyway to remove that selection so no object is selected after a deletion.

i.e.

I place objects 1,2,3,4,5

I select and delete object 4

X-Cam then selects object 3 after deleting object 4 and waits for my input

Is there any way to stop object 3 being auto selected after object 4 is deleted ?.

One other suggestion. Any possibility to be able to sort the placed object list alphabetically ?.

I have close to 300 objects in the current project. I may want to select a small water barrel of which I have 10 scattered in the list of 300 objects and have to scroll up and down the list trying each one of the water barrel until I find the right one. The doubleclick and drag select is great for a group of objects (thanks so much for adding it) but not so good for a single object in a complex scene. It is sometimes pretty hard to find just the right spot which allows you to select an item. The list is, in this case, the easiest way to get the object selected but it could be easier if I could group the objects by class name rather than by placement order.

Thanks again.

Is there anyone who can explane me how to add my project to server. I do everything from xcam guide but still cant make it work. If i add @xcam then server wont start. Is there step by step guide to make it work?

Hi Atom89,

if you have no experience with Arma 3 (mission editing, scripting, multiplayer sessions aso.), then it's not a good idea to use and work with the X-Cam,

because you need the basics of Arma 3, and if you want to run a dedicated server to play your own mp missions, then you need more than the basics.

Sorry, but there is no other way :(

Silola

Is there anyone who can explane me how to add my project to server. I do everything from xcam guide but still cant make it work. If i add @xcam then server wont start. Is there step by step guide to make it work?

You can not "add it to your server"!

1) You can add your project to a mission (in two ways) which you then upload to the server and play.

2) You can import to a new map in Terrain builder which you may build.

For 1) you can export your xcam project as mission file, which you then can use to create a new mission with Armas built in mission editor OR you can export you project to a script file, which you then can add to an existing mission end call this script from the init.sqf (for example).

If you have used objects from any of the "xcam" classes, all other players and the server will also require the xcam addon!

If you have used objects from any of the "xcam" classes, all other players and the server will also require the xcam addon!

Not the xcam.pbo but the xCam_EU.pbo ;)

[/color]Hi Buliwyf, of course it's possible to use the original Arma 3 objects. The best way is to clear the whole X-Cam object library first.

So, please delete all files within this folder (but don't delete the folder): @inidbi\db\xCam\Library_Obj

After this action u will see again the very first dialog, after u restart the X-Cam. Then double-left-click all object classes u want to use with the X-Cam,

but don't select the xcam_* classes ... and press the [start] button to create the new library.

Thanks for your answer... but this is not what i mentioned. I have a lot of original BIS stuff available but no rocks or trees. Only if i use your xCam objects, but therefor i need your xCam addon which i don`t want to use.

Hi,

not all Arma 3 objects are editor placeable by default (trees and rocks for example), but if u want to have these object types saved within your mission,

then u need the xCam_EU.pbo or any other editor update that makes these object types available for missions.

Silola

Thanks for your answer... but this is not what i mentioned. I have a lot of original BIS stuff available but no rocks or trees. Only if i use your xCam objects, but therefor i need your xCam addon which i don`t want to use.

Roger that! Thx! I found this addon: Arma's Nature

That works fine, because you have the standard BI object classnames available and you don`t need extra addons... :)

Roger that! Thx! I found this addon: Arma's Nature

That works fine, because you have the standard BI object classnames available and you don`t need extra addons... :)

that addon must also be installed on all players to work

might as well just use xcam

Hi Silola,

For some reason when i try and export to TB i get an error at then end of the process "Output Error" - i have checked the .rpt but no info there at all - and no file get created - have even set a new path to see if the default one was the issue but still no file.

Any idea's ?

Cheers

Hi God-Father,

u have to copy the "make_file.dll" into the Arma 3 root folder, otherwise it's not working.

Please note, the download from "PlayWithSix" is not working out of the box, so try the Armaholic download.

And please download the latest X-Cam update 1.05 from here:

https://de.owncube.com/public.php?service=files&t=56102ec0d6d9198daddf050327a52b39

Silola

Hi Silola,

For some reason when i try and export to TB i get an error at then end of the process "Output Error" - i have checked the .rpt but no info there at all - and no file get created - have even set a new path to see if the default one was the issue but still no file.

Any idea's ?

Cheers