Nice job.

I tried messing with materials aswell and same issue I got with sun color where my metal materials looks more like tainted gold at certain time. The engine uses different sun color for different game time and that's one limitation I have to live with.

Another issue is material is not applied to OFP override units from the main config file. I replaced OFP default units with WW4 units on ECP config then applied Material addons to ww4mod textures by making another addon. It only applies to the addon unit not the edited. I tried to apply the materials straight to the main config as well but no luck.

Edited by Capjerahya

Nice idea, keep up the great work :)

Updated to v1.1!

More info and download links in the first post.

Changelog:

v1.1
CHANGE: Vegetation now less reactive to lighting
CHANGE: Updated template config with more and more extended comments
CHANGE: Added some missing classes to template config
CHANGE: Moved WW4 and Mi2 textures from ww4ext_matdef to ofp_matdef_addons1
NEW: More addons supported by ofp_matdef_addons1, including MAP, BAS, AEF and OFPL objects and a bunch of Vietnam era addons

I've also created an installer, just to simplify the installation process even further. The mod is also now in moddb, although it's currently pending approval.

Trying to catch up with a lot of unanswered questions and comments. I've been quite negligent about that lately, sorry.

If you made the original videos available, could someone edit them together to show the effect in split-screen? Pleeeaase...

I'm afraid I don't have the source videos anymore. They were quite big (several gigas) and I need all the hard drive space I can get.

I've noticed when close to a bright white light source at night time, the specular reflections will turn bright white instead of yellowish. I think prof Tournesol also had some different specular values in his Veni Vidi mod, simulating gold, silver and copper materials. But you need to ask him on the matter.

Yes, it seems the environment light is affected by the time of day or, to be precise, by the night filter used in OFP. I guess with DxDLL's option to disable it makes it more noticeable.

Nice job.

I tried messing with materials aswell and same issue I got with sun color where my metal materials looks more like tainted gold at certain time. The engine uses different sun color for different game time and that's one limitation I have to live with.

Another issue is material is not applied to OFP override units from the main config file. I replaced OFP default units with WW4 units on ECP config then applied Material addons to ww4mod textures by making another addon. It only applies to the addon unit not the edited. I tried to apply the materials straight to the main config as well but no luck.

That was more than likely caused by me not supplying texture paths for WW4 units and vehicles in this addon(s). They were previously only found in the WW4 Extended materials pbo. In this latest version I've moved them to ofp_matdef_addons1.pbo, so they are available without having to install EXT.

@ ProfTournesol: Thanks. BTW I found a better way to manage huge amounts of textures. Select all the textures files found in the desired folder and Ctrl+Shift+Right Click, then select the option named "Copy path" or something along those lines. That will copy the paths for all the textures you selected. You can paste that somewhere, remove parts of the path to make them relative and start pasting them in the appropriate materials class. I used that for the latest batch of addons I added support to. PaNTool was still needed to check the textures themselves and make sure I was placing them in the correct class.

@ All the rest: Thanks for the support!

Edited by kenoxite
That was obviously intentional...

And thank you. You've done a hell of a lot of stuff in a short space of time. :)

Edited by Maczer

My keyboard... it skips keys sometimes. I like to think I type so fast that the electrical signals can't catch up.

Regarding the new installer, I've used Inno Setup with Inno Script Studio Wizard to help with the scripting (you don't need to download it separately, there's already a download version of Inno Setup that bundles it). While the Inno Script Studio Wizard helps, you still have to do a lot of work if you want something other than the most basic installer. To help with that here's the installer script I made for this project. Use it as a guide, copy/paste or modify it at will for your own projects (anybody's). Just be aware that the scripting language used by Inno Setup is Pascal... I also have ready an installer for WW4 EXT which is way more involved that that and are planning on releasing one just for vanilla WW4. Those will be released in the following days.

---

EDIT: I've updated the zip and exe so the low contrast version also uses the new vegetation material definitions. The exe now places all the program folder shortcuts in an OFP Materials subfolder, just to keep things more organized, and adds a shortcut to play with this addon enabled and another shortcut for the readme. The installer script in pastebin has also been updated with this latest version.

Edited by kenoxite

It makes the tanks look a bit damaged

What do you mean, exactly?

I'm asking because in the initial version some textures from one of the tanks (the BIS T-72 IIRC) weren't added to the lists, so parts of it didn't have materials applied. That was fixed in the latest patch (the one included in the installer). But there might be other BIS vehicles with some other textures missing. Could you give me a list of the tanks you found faulty, or do you mean all of them?

Also, if you were using tanks from addons (SIGMA's, etc) they won't have materials applied. You'll have to create your own addon with those textures included in the material lists (there's a template already included in the installer for you to use) and their models must also have to be binarized or it won't work (like with Berghoff's vegetation packs, which are included but they won't display materials until someone with a lot of time binarizes them all).

While this project includes hundreds (thousands?) of textures from other addons, I only added those of terrain. vegetation and objects. The only units (infantry and vehicles) added are BIS defaults and WW4 Extended ones (maybe some from SEB's Nam too, can't remember). This is because this project was initially to be part of Ext, but I finally released it standalone (hence the unoriginal "OFP materials" name, as it was just a placeholder name to differentiate it from the WW4 Extended materials).

Well, with high contrast materials enabled, in some lighting settings, objects appear darker than with no materials. And we all know that BI method for rendering tanks' damage is to make them darker.

IMHO it's just a question of getting accustomized with new lightning settings - if you'll play long enough with hi-contrast materials, you'll notice than everything may be sometimes darker than in vanilla game. And tanks that are really damaged are even more darker. So, that's it (and there are always low contrast materials).

And we all know that BI method for rendering tanks' damage is to make them darker.

Ah, yes, that must be it.

Anyway, remember that anybody is free to edit the materials found in this addon to suit their needs or personal taste. Unpboed versions of the two of them are found where the addon is installed.

It makes the tanks look a bit damaged

Tank tracks are supposed to be dark and dirty, so it's rather a feature than a bug  :)

This mod is the best option if you prefer original OFP experience, yet neatly enhanced. Water, weapon and vehicle reflections look flawless!

• Like 2

BTW, the latest version was included in the Extended Effects mod/whatever. It was still tagged as "preview" because I was planning on creating another installer (and never actually worked on it). But that version is the final one. It fixes several texture assignments for vanilla OFP textures, removes the yellow tint (although you'll see yellow still because OFP's sun tints yellow everything most hours of the day) and adds support for a shitton of mods and addons, among other things.

Here's the link:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/7a3fv9hi157j2ap/OFP+Materials+v1.2+preview.zip

(same link from the ExtFX thread).

• Like 3

Great Job.

I have little problem with play this on dedicated server. It'll cost some time then effects will gradually show (not immediately), and it seems that some of effects won't appear during the whole game. This problem widely exist on dedicated server with CfgTextureToMaterial, and I wonder whether author had realised this problem and tried to fix this.

3 hours ago, CTI player IF said:

Great Job.

I have little problem with play this on dedicated server. It'll cost some time then effects will gradually show (not immediately), and it seems that some of effects won't appear during the whole game. This problem widely exist on dedicated server with CfgTextureToMaterial, and I wonder whether author had realised this problem and tried to fix this.

Ahh, I've read the "Readme" file packaged in your addon. So the problem should be the dynamtic spawn. Since Alt+Tab can do sth with this maybe the solution should be searched in DirectX.

•             "data\slgr_1.pac",
  •             "data\slgr_2.pac",
  •             "data\slgr_opak.pac",
  •             "data\slgr_up.pac",
  •             "data\slgr_up_vybezek.pac",

textures mentioned above are used in GPS. Pressing M with showGPS - true will see a shining GPS.

BTW I introduced your work into my CTI mod "TZK" since version 2.00 since July 2019. Great thanks.