Sign in to follow this  
ru55lee

Getting tired of this now...

OK let me start by saying I don't normally rant about games and I have a huge amount of patience but I am getting extremely annoyed with the AI being able to see me through bushes and hitting me accurately. It's a huge game breaker for me and because of this I still haven't been able to complete the campaign mode. I know how to play this game as have well over 200 hours in it. I love the idea of single player in this game but the AI kills it for me.

I have seen many reports of this in the bug tracker which states that it's in a better condition now then what it was at release but it feels like nothing has been changed. I'm not imagining it, I have seen them run behind bushes and the tracers coming from the bushes.

I love this game...I really do but as a person who mainly plays single player missions it really frustrates me.

Edited by ru55lee

Until a fix arrives (if ever), try and use some AI modes that fix this or at least give less Terminator aim to the AIs.

Think about it as if you were playing a TvT and you see someone run behind a bush, what would you do, fire a load of rounds into it. That is what the AI is doing, if they see you they make a calculated guess as to where you may be and then they fire in that location. It's not as you say the AI seeing through bushes, yes there is an issue I have hear with long grass but I don't think their is one with bushes as far as I am aware.

Firstly, adjust your difficulty settings.

And yeah, the bushes are tricky; while the AI can't see straight through them, their view blocking geometry model isn't as big as the visible one. This sort of simulates the fact that real life bushes are usually semi-transparent on the outer edges. And when the AI catches even a tiny glimpse of your body through the leaves, he'll start shooting because he knows the bullets will penetrate the bush.

Firstly, adjust your difficulty settings.

And yeah, the bushes are tricky; while the AI can't see straight through them, their view blocking geometry model isn't as big as the visible one. This sort of simulates the fact that real life bushes are usually semi-transparent on the outer edges. And when the AI catches even a tiny glimpse of your body through the leaves, he'll start shooting because he knows the bullets will penetrate the bush.

Yup already adjusted my AI accuracy but still having this issue. I agree with what you and the others saying but it just really irritates me as I was playing the campaign yesterday trying to shoot an enemy but my bullets kept hitting leaves on a tree and wouldnt penetrate it.

I've tested this like crazy some time ago and came to the conclusion that the AI reacts as expected to enemies behind bushes.

They won't see you when you're lying right behind it. But, of course, once they saw you, a bush won't stop them from hitting you or shooting at you.

(Frank, he ran behind a small bush, we should stop shooting...)

Get your own conclusions, but I'm 100% sure there's nothing wrong.

I agree that the enemy AI is a little "too accurate" and tends to be exceptionally perceptive... Which is fine if the enemy is suppose to be highly trained commandoes but I doubt the "masses" of guerrillas are anywhere near that level.

It would be nice if there was some type of ranking for enemy AI that simulated different levels of training...

Edited by someuser
spelling

Our group and myself tend to find bushes, trees etc are working as expected.

What we do find very annoying though is fighting the AI either uphill or downhill with grass on.

We use setTerrainGrid 3.125; in the mission so its forced by the server on clients.

Fighting the AI on a slope tends to always be a cluster fuck as they can see you when you cannot see them.

Its almost as if the AI are using a lower grass detail level than players.

Increasing the terrain grid level to reduce grass does not help for players.

As it does what you would think with a name like that it decreases the amount of detail in the actual topography of the terrain.

Hills get smaller etc, which is a pain in the arse.

As you end up with floating AI and objects on hills at distance which have been reduced in size, due to the terrain setting.

It would be nice to know what the AI actually see in relation to the grass.

Then to have a way to set the grass to be the same for players as it is for the AI, Independently of the topography.

There is the mod low grass on steam workshop, making it well, smaller. Works just fine.

There is the mod low grass on steam workshop, making it well, smaller. Works just fine.

interesting thanks

The difference is significant, it helps. And it has serverkey included.

Still, because after a some distance the grass is not rendered the AI sinks into the ground, but the mod makes the issue smaller.

Normal grass,

http://i.imgur.com/2yRR6zv.jpg

Low grass.

http://i.imgur.com/3LfDj2g.jpg

Perhaps DX12 would help render the grass as long as you have the the draw distance? It would be a major plus among other things. Until then, that mod is a nice "fix" to the issue.

They won't see you when you're lying right behind it. But, of course, once they saw you, a bush won't stop them from hitting you or shooting at you.

It's one thing, when the player is behind a bush (on this part I totally agree with you) and another, when the AI itself is behind a bush.

I agree that the AI only fires on the last known position of the player, BUT:

The fact that (even after having moved behind a bush) the AI still knows exactly where this last known position was, is the problem. Normally they should not be able to find and shoot that spot again so easily, after 1. having moved and 2. having lost the sight on it.

Other than that other AI group members (or even units on the same side) report "updates" of the player's last known position, which means that the AI, still behind the bush, knows exactly where to shoot.

The expected behaviour should be more of a "spray and pray", but the thing with the last known position is what frustrates killed players.

So I can totally understand the OP.

Edited by Undeceived

It's one thing, when the player is behind a bush (on this part I totally agree with you) and another, when the AI itself is behind a bush.

I agree that the AI only fires on the last known position of the player, BUT:

The fact that (even after having moved behind a bush) the AI still knows exactly where this last known position was, is the problem. Normally they should not be able to find and shoot that spot again so easily, after 1. having moved and 2. having lost the sight on it.

Other than that other AI group members (or even units on the same side) report "updates" of the player's last known position, which means that the AI, still behind the bush, knows exactly where to shoot.

The expected behaviour should be more of a "spray and pray", but the thing with the last known position is what frustrates killed players.

So I can totally understand the OP.

Thanks. Could not have said it better myself.

Dear BI

After several months of trying to use this game I have had enough.

Today the latest update removed all the mods in expansions (with no guidance about how to reinstall them) that made this half completed game playable.

Despite its huge potential and possibilities, you have sold an over complex, unintuitive game, with poor; single play functions, gameplay and AI command & control, editing and character / vehicle modifications. Despite excellent features (Virtual Arsenal and Editor) they are not interconnected but isolated elements requiring complex and out of game processes to bring them together! When was this acceptable?

For some reason its set in 2030 (why?) and relies far to heavily on the modding community to make up for its fundamental weaknesses (e.g. BIPODS for LMG and snipers rifles FGS? But no, Go Carts are far more of a priority than waiting 2 years to have this addressed in free DLC).

Can I ask how I get my money back please? Now....

Kind regards

I've tested this like crazy some time ago and came to the conclusion that the AI reacts as expected to enemies behind bushes. They won't see you when you're lying right behind it.

My tests shows the contrary. If you are lying down behind a bush completely still and mm2 of any part of your body have LOS to an AI thru the leafs (as Greenfist also mentioned) they will spot you if they are in aware/combat mode and within ~100 m. This happens with or without ghillie suit and is IMO an issue that I hope they will be able to fix/improve.

There have been lots of discussion in the dev build AI thread so the devs are aware about it.

/KC

wait for 1.42 patch. AI will decrease their accuracy when they get injured and suppress.