noubernou

ACE3 - A collaborative merger between AGM, CSE, and ACE

Perhaps a compromise may make all sides happy? Let the new "interaction points" be used to call the menu, but the menu itself to be similar to old one - like Windows' right-click context menu.

P.S. Not a request, just suggesting an idea in case decision needs to be made

About the whole interact-menu-sucks-let's-go-back-to-fleximenu-gate: really nice to see people playing with our backend code already and kudos for bootstrapping that good old fleximenu for basic functionality. However, keep in mind:

- ACE has not even made the first stable release yet!

- We'll continue to improve the interact menu as time goes by. There's already a few branches with tweaks and improvementes that won't be on first release.

- We are planning on a lot of features that will be based on 3d interactions. Some of those are already on branches in various states of development (reparing, get in actions, doors, ladders, etc, etc). Some are still TBD.

- Many of those, and even a few that already exists today on master, are simply not feasable without 3d interaction. Thinking a replacement is good enough based on how well it supports current features is missing the bigger picture.

- There are a few advanced features on the interact menu that I'd be really surprised to see supported on third party implementations. Those features are still not widely used on the current version of ACE, but they will be increasingly over time.

Bottom line, I think it's way to early to look for replacements of the interaction menu. On the contrary, I encourage you to:

- Join the public ACE3 Slack channel and report any problematic use case you find with the implementation and pitch in and discuss ideas for potential improvements.

- Help us upvote the following issue for BIS to fix: http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=23679 . Having that would allow some important functionality improvements.

Regards

I think the interact menu is one of those GUI things you have to learn...At first I was really put off. I took some time the other day and ran thru a bunch of scenarios with it and other than some small hitches (pre-alpha) I was able to run thru the tree faster than the AGM menu.

I'm and old dude that doesn't like change, sh!t I still run my A3 using custom addon folders & command lines. But, like the song says sometimes, "You gotta know when to hold em, know when to fold em, know when to walk away and know when to run..."

B

Noone is using new menu as list?

It's pretty nice, I use it in combination with the cursor for self-interaction. Just wish it would have some kind of background instead of just a shadow/outline, for better visibility.

Normal interaction could use a background as well, but unlike with the self-interaction you could make an argument that it might negatively affect immersion and aesthetics. I personally don't think so, but who knows what the dev opinion on this is.

It's pretty nice, I use it in combination with the cursor for self-interaction. Just wish it would have some kind of background instead of just a shadow/outline, for better visibility.

Normal interaction could use a background as well, but unlike with the self-interaction you could make an argument that it might negatively affect immersion and aesthetics. I personally don't think so, but who knows what the dev opinion on this is.

This is true, maybe just a bigger outline for the words because I really like the clean look of no background. Just seems so streamlined.

Would be nice if there was a thin black border around the icons or words, because in places where it is very bright it can be difficult to see the menu.

I would also be ok with regular background, since if you use the menu, you are focusing on that alone. So see-though-menu isn't that important imo, as it's pretty small to begin with anyway.

Would be nice if there was a thin black border around the icons or words, because in places where it is very bright it can be difficult to see the menu

There's an setting now for that too. It's called "Interaction Text Shadow" -> "Outline". It's not that great, but it's really the way outlines work on the the engine, so there's not much we can do about that

About the whole interact-menu-sucks-let's-go-back-to-fleximenu-gate: really nice to see people playing with our backend code already and kudos for bootstrapping that good old fleximenu for basic functionality. However, keep in mind:

- ACE has not even made the first stable release yet!

- We'll continue to improve the interact menu as time goes by. There's already a few branches with tweaks and improvementes that won't be on first release.

- We are planning on a lot of features that will be based on 3d interactions. Some of those are already on branches in various states of development (reparing, get in actions, doors, ladders, etc, etc). Some are still TBD.

- Many of those, and even a few that already exists today on master, are simply not feasable without 3d interaction. Thinking a replacement is good enough based on how well it supports current features is missing the bigger picture.

- There are a few advanced features on the interact menu that I'd be really surprised to see supported on third party implementations. Those features are still not widely used on the current version of ACE, but they will be increasingly over time.

Bottom line, I think it's way to early to look for replacements of the interaction menu. On the contrary, I encourage you to:

- Join the public ACE3 Slack channel and report any problematic use case you find with the implementation and pitch in and discuss ideas for potential improvements.

- Help us upvote the following issue for BIS to fix: http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=23679 . Having that would allow some important functionality improvements.

Regards

In what world do ladders and bandages need to use the same system for interaction? Why can't there be a system for interacting with that stuff that is separate from the old school interaction menu?

The new 3D stuff makes some sense: I'd love to see it used for things like getting into vehicles (picking spots anyone?) or multiple ways to open/breach a door. So I'm confused why your comment seems to think that both concepts can't exist side by side. Old 2D menus for more complex stuff, 3D for actual interaction with your environment.

But maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're getting at.

---------- Post added at 15:02 ---------- Previous post was at 14:58 ----------

Video is about flexi menu (context menu) from ACE for arma 2.

Personally I like moving on and exploring new daring things rather then

taking (same) proven concepts.

Btw what are main problems of 3d contex menu?Moving your character away

from interaction object will make action disappear.kinda make sense since you

have to be in range to interact with objects as in reality right?

ArmA's engine is the issue. There are times that the engine does a poor job knowing when something should be in range. Things tend to pile up on top of one another. And the way it's laid out/interacted with is less than optimal. And it's not really NEEDED. It's just flash and doesn't really enhance anything, at least with how it's set up now.

In what world do ladders and bandages need to use the same system for interaction? Why can't there be a system for interacting with that stuff that is separate from the old school interaction menu?

The new 3D stuff makes some sense: I'd love to see it used for things like getting into vehicles (picking spots anyone?) or multiple ways to open/breach a door. So I'm confused why your comment seems to think that both concepts can't exist side by side. Old 2D menus for more complex stuff, 3D for actual interaction with your environment.

So choosing a seat makes sense in 3d but chosing a body part doesn't?

And it's not really NEEDED. It's just flash and doesn't really enhance anything, at least with how it's set up now.

Technically nothing is NEEDED, not playing Arma 3 nor using ACE. But we do feel it enhances interactions, hence our decision to push in this direction.

------

Just one of the upcoming features I mentioned above:

@up

So u want to say - Its impossible to do operate it with flexi? Sorry but u r wrong. Id love to see at last ONE feature that is impossible to work with flexi.

Im not sure if it was because of a poorly packed version of the ACE 3, in fact im going to assume that it is. However, whenever i put a zeus game master module down as well as running ace at the same time, it will not let me preview or join the mission on a dedicated server.

Yes, i did narrow it down to ACE 3. Has anyone else had this problem?

Im sure it is just the version i am using, but i would like to make sure that no one else is having this problem as well. Before i report it that is.

Could anyone possibly answer if this is affecting anyone else? Dont mean to interrupt anyone's complaining about the interaction menu :DDDD

@up

So u want to say - Its impossible to do operate it with flexi? Sorry but u r wrong. Id love to see at last ONE feature that is impossible to work with flexi.

I assume you are displaying the interactions for the cursorTarget, right? Various actions won't show using that (e.g. cutting fences, doors, ladders, disarming explosives)

---------- Post added at 23:17 ---------- Previous post was at 23:15 ----------

Could anyone possibly answer if this is affecting anyone else? Dont mean to interrupt anyone's complaining about the interaction menu :DDDD

AFAIK most of the test sessions for ACE3 had Zeus on them, and no issue like this was reported.

EDIT: do you have the ACE code extracted on the P drive? If that's the case, and you don't set the -noFilePatching parameter on Arma, the bin version will be patched on startup with the current code. That'd screw up signatures, which could be the cause of not being able to connect.

Is there a way to disable the ACE 1-0 hotkeys so I can give orders to AI when testing missions?

Cannot find it in the ACE Options, but maybe im blind or looking for the wrong thing.

I just want to say that I love the new interaction menu, I think it's revolutionary, dynamic, more interactive and it's faster to use actions with it. I think some people are just afraid of big changes. Good work!

ey guys

AGM had the damage coefficient built into the medical menu (not talking about bleeding and pain as CSE has). it was a good way to ensure medics had more work than just placing people into body bags from one wound .

will ACE implement that one too? cause so far I only saw the CSE stuff (Bleeding and pain) in it and no general damage coefficient.

Thanks for the info!

Is there a way to disable the ACE 1-0 hotkeys so I can give orders to AI when testing missions?

Cannot find it in the ACE Options, but maybe im blind or looking for the wrong thing.

ACE was created to play with your teammates, to cooperate with them. I dont know if can be disabled, but think that in multiplayer, you dont need that, and makes the game unrealistic.

ACE was created to play with your teammates, to cooperate with them. I dont know if can be disabled, but think that in multiplayer, you dont need that, and makes the game unrealistic.

@MojoDog, just remap the keys (you know the drill -> configure>controls>configure addons tab) to something like Alt+1, Alt+2, etc... @HeadPop: some people just play SP, you know... and even on Coop, sometimes you have bots on your team...

AGM had the damage coefficient built into the medical menu (not talking about bleeding and pain as CSE has). it was a good way to ensure medics had more work than just placing people into body bags from one wound .

will ACE implement that one too? cause so far I only saw the CSE stuff (Bleeding and pain) in it and no general damage coefficient.

http://ace3mod.com/wiki/missionmaker/modules.html#2.1-medical-settings

@global, is it possible in ACE to have persistency as it was in CSE with the use of get and setallsetvariables?

Even if it possible to do everything via FlexiMenu it is not reason to stay with it. In my opinion FlexiMenu is not only ugly as hell but is immersion killer. New interaction menu (btw. it really needs some cool name) is much better: it is more contextual, almost "transparent" and last but not least it looks way better. I would compare new menu system to command menu we have in OFP/ArmA-verse and 'MODERN' sims like Rainbow Six: Raven Shield or SWAT4 (huh, they are just ten to twelve years old). Of course, you can do everything using those ridiculous and clunky 9-1-1-1-2-3-1-2-3-1-2-3-4-2-4-5-3-4 system or you can use commo rose from SWAT4 or R6:RS.

Speaking of which...

@ACE-team: I already have created that request in #414 thread but I want to do it once again. Would it be possible to create new command menu using the new interaction system? The real commo rose that ArmA deserves from the begining?

But the current situation is just fine. ACE team is working on ACEmenu and you are working on FlexiMenu. You are free to use and share it accross people who also want to stay with old menu system.

@ACE-team: I already have created that request in #414 thread but I want to do it once again. Would it be possible to create new command menu using the new interaction system? The real commo rose that ArmA deserves from the begining?

I'm pretty sure thats not possible.

Regards

This!

As for the Menu, when its up, being able to "Tab" around the ring to choose would be all pro.