noubernou

ACE3 - A collaborative merger between AGM, CSE, and ACE

For ACE 3, you guys should contact LAxeman and try to get his "Immerse" mod integrated with ACE 3. If you're unfamiliar with it, it adds subtle realistic camera twitch and shaking when explosions go off nearby or when firing a weapon. I only bring this up because ACE 2 had a camera shake feature as well. Figured it'd help you guys bang that feature out for ACE 3. ;)

Phronk: I'm certain everyone involved in ACE3 knows LAxeman and his work. In fact, he is listed as a member and contributor on the ACE3 GitHub repository. More specifically speaking, he has added a module to ACE3 called "Player Suppression" which I'm pretty sure is related to what you are asking for.

Phronk: You guys should contact LAxeman and try to get his "Immerse" mod integrated with ACE 3.

+1 Would be great, that mod mod is quite nice and reminds me of ace 2. Good to hear he is on the github hopefully his immerse stuff makes it in.

The system of damaged vehicles in arma3 is unrealistic, the development team ACE3 think you can or should change this important aspect of realism.

The mechanism of damage to the vehicles should be based on several stages with different animations vehicle damage, not just blast the vehicle.

Mainly serious change in different visual effects by damaging parts of the vehicle:

Ejem:

Damage motor = "condition ORANGE" Visual effect smoke. "condition RED" Visual effect Fire + Smoke

It's just a simple idea to change the visual effects and adding the righteous damage of the vehicles to provide a realistic touch +

ETC, ETC....:glare:

@commy2 and jaynus:

Thank you so much! These posts cleared things up for me to a great extent. I had a look at the wiki before, but it seems I missed the important information about the CBA-Macro syntax. ;)

The system of damaged vehicles in arma3 is unrealistic, the development team ACE3 think you can or should change this important aspect of realism.

The mechanism of damage to the vehicles should be based on several stages with different animations vehicle damage, not just blast the vehicle.

Mainly serious change in different visual effects by damaging parts of the vehicle:

Ejem:

Damage motor = "condition ORANGE" Visual effect smoke. "condition RED" Visual effect Fire + Smoke

It's just a simple idea to change the visual effects and adding the righteous damage of the vehicles to provide a realistic touch +

ETC, ETC....:glare:

We pretty much plan to ditch the entire A3 vehicle damage system. It's a joke and always has been, and really we need to go outside of SQF and Arma altogether to do it. We should have some cool stuff to show over the next week or so regarding that. ;)

Dont know if this is going to be in the mod, havent seen anything mentioned about it yet. In the medical system would it be possible for bullets or other projectiles(shrapnel) to stay inside ones body(arms, legs, torso, head). These would cause internal bleedings or maybe it would cause pain or discomfort that cant be removed untill the object is removed. To remove these objects you would have to use the surgical kit. Because i have tried the medical systems multiple times now and i really havent seen any use for the surgical kit.

I apologice if this has been mentioned before on github or other outlets. If not i hope you take it into consideration for future versions of ace. Oh and im really looking forward to the release.

#hype #overexcited... #hatemyselffor#

LOL, give it some time DUDE! It took ACE 2 a LOOONNNNGGGG time before it was anything decent! And good mods are the only thing that make this half-baked game worth playing.

---------- Post added at 12:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:30 AM ----------

We pretty much plan to ditch the entire A3 vehicle damage system. It's a joke and always has been, and really we need to go outside of SQF and Arma altogether to do it. We should have some cool stuff to show over the next week or so regarding that. ;)

Oh GOD, that would be WELCOME! Pretty bad when you can destroy a tank if you shoot at with a machine gun enough times.

I really don't care for the new menu interaction system. I've been running into a lot of issues. For one, it's too small. There's no need for it to be that small except that you guys are trying to map stuff onto bodies and shit. That's not worth the loss in accuracy in tense situations. The system needs to be used in COMBAT. Hovering over something, hoping it opens up accurately then doing that again and again on small icons is not optimal for that.

This is why I was worried about CSE's team being involved. Their stuff tries to be too flashy and shiny. AGM was basically just ACE. It was functional, it fit the aesthetic, but it was still really simple to use.

I know this is harsh but I really don't like this. You had a system that worked really well. It could have used some tweaking with the expanded features in ACE3, but come on. Now I have to worry if I'm close enough to the left arm or not? Even though I can get the right arm, while standing on the left side? Why not just pop me into a menu with a diagram and let me quickly get around with a menu with everything in the same place every time. Not to mention figuring what part of the body needs things that have nothing to do with particular limbs.

The system you have now is cool. It could even be better for SOME interactions. But not everything. Give us better menus, not prettier flashier menus. Or at least options to make things static (even for interaction menu stuff like giving someone medical treatment) and increase the scale.

I know I'll get bitched out for giving honest feedback but I wouldn't say it if I didn't mean it and didn't think the team couldn't handle it.

Looking forward to seeing how this evolves.

Having tried ACE3 unofficial for several days now (and taking onboard suggestions in response to my previous post regarding difficulty using the menu - such as enabling cursor in interaction menu and enable list mode) I still think this menu layout is a terrible design decision that is an exercise in frustration without adding any 'realism'. AGM is/was WAAAAAAAY more intuitive and sensible - the current ace3 menu seems arbitrarily difficult to navigate and use simply to slow things down in some sort of faux-realism.

Please, Please, Please reconsider this menu system: and if you really must insist on keeping this 'design over function' approach to the menu at least give us the option of having an AGM style one that we can actually use.

Other than the menu ace3 is looking great and a massive step forward for ARMA3.

Cheers,

V

The design of the menu was not made to be "flashy" it was made to be functional and contextual, eliminating the immersion breaking experience of having a massive dialog in your face.

While we understand that not everyone can be pleased by the new interaction system the over all reaction has been positive in testing and we feel it is the best solution going forward.

Hum, personally I'd rather the dialog in my face then this system.

However if we aren't going to get the option of an agm styled interaction menu can there at least be a more intuitive approach for treating other's wounds (the static list for self interaction seems to be somewhat better), bigger icons/catchment area and less clutter? It currently feels like the menu is there to interrupt what I want to be doing rather than helping me do it - especially having to patch up a buddy in the heat of combat it all moves around far too much and is extremely difficult to hit tiny icons and go through the submenus.

Also, please don't take this as me getting shirty with you (as other than the menu ACE3 is looking fantastic) however reading through this thread there is quite a bit of criticism of the menu and its difficulty of use for various reasons. Sure you can't please everyone and you want to make ACE3 its own thing rather than a spin together of various team members' previous mods however I think on the menu issue you might be in danger of throwing the baby out with the bathwater with how useable agm's static rose system was.

Cheers,

V

Nou - the interaction menu is awesome! much better than the previous system and people that dont mind taking the time to get used to it all like it as far as i can tell.

The one thing that will improve it, and i know you guys are improving it as i speak, is the unit that is getting medically treated should be frozen or something so that they cannot move around/ switch anims.

Weve tested it a fair bit in 30 player missions and that is the only downfall. When the unit is in revive mode sometimes they switch animations which makes you loose your focus on the icon that you are trying to interact with.

It's a video game... I don't need hand signals to role play.( I hate roleplaying, I prefer realism, but I don't roleplay) The only time I see it useful is if you're using acre in pvp or something. Even then, this is Arma, not CoD. Never get that close to an enemy player. And lol at your airsoft comment. If you go watch real combat, you don't see guys sneaking around and getting "5m" from the enemy. They are yelling at each other over gunfire, no hand signals and tacticool non sense.( only one I've seen is cease fire, but they're also yelling it) Only time I've ever seen anyone use hand signals is in hollywood movies. Or people who play "airsoft"

---------- Post added at 03:23 ---------- Previous post was at 03:11 ----------

I don't use any of that hud magic, I don't have my stance indictor turned on, not my bullet count, any of that non sense. And I don't agree with your points about the crosshair at all. To each their own, but I don't think a "realistic" crosshair is something that fits into ace.

This is what my Arma looks like(me playing)

Well, I agree about the bullet count being no good, but having nothing on screen for me would be nice looking but that's just visually realistic, the fact that you have no feedbacks about stances, resting and other things is not realistic for me, in reality you would know and feel many more things than ...nothing, so yes I think being a videogame you have to accept some compromises, otherwise you would have your visual reality but you will be also quite isolated from the virtual world surrounding you, unable to understand many things.

I don't agree that the less you see on screen and the more a game is realistic.

So yeah, I still hope in a modified and more realistic crosshair, one that doesn't allow you accuracy shooting while not aiming, if you don't want that then you can eventually just stay with your settings, with crosshair and all the rest off.

I would also enjoy having a rough stamina bar, again nothing precise, maybe just some colours indicating how tired you are.

Edited by HaZZarD

The design of the menu was not made to be "flashy" it was made to be functional and contextual, eliminating the immersion breaking experience of having a massive dialog in your face.

While we understand that not everyone can be pleased by the new interaction system the over all reaction has been positive in testing and we feel it is the best solution going forward.

This. Everything in the 3D space. I like how the intuitiveness is, and is going. Great job.

Even with my rant on realizm of magic medics, the dialogs in AGM and CSE are great, brillant even. But they all make you leave the game and come up to read/choose then close, to get back into what you where doing before, which was playing in the 3D space.

I also tried the interactive menu and really is functional but noticed something uncomfortable interacting with menus, especially the menu of medical treatment. :386:

Everything is very together and when you hover need much to clarify the option to choose, especially medical menu. :banghead:

Need some adjustments and some doctors order menus. :outtahere:

Yeah, I've noticed that as I was fiddling around with being a medic, sometimes the menu just gets so cluttered that instead of bandaging the guy I look not even a fraction of an inch off and suddenly I'm presented the options to frisk and disarm him. And then there are moments like this where you just have to feel sorry for the poor ACE3 menu. Granted in that picture I don't think AGM's menu would save me anyway :shrug:

I think it all comes down to the fact that no matter how the UI is laid out it still doesn't automatically do what you're thinking; you have to use your hand (or your head for us TrackIR users) to manipulate a bunch of code to do what we intend. And that will forever be the problem until we develop something like sword art online's VR setup.

my hope is for a menu toggle option so it doesn't close after every selection. also would be nice if the options text was more visible, either through higher contrast or larger font. finding what you need is too difficult among the cluster of a thousand options. the new system is definitely a step forward but also needs further refinement

Hi Everyone -

Please remember that if you are not using work from our master branch (e.g. you are using random builds off sites, this thread, or elsewhere) your feedback and/or suggestions, although welcomed, may or may not end up being valid; we are committing hundreds of lines of code every single day. If you didn't download off of github and build about an hour ago, its a pretty safe bet that your bug was fixed or there is a setting different than what you are posting about.

Once we release, we plan on releasing nightly builds which will help alleviate some of this; but until then, please remember again, using these unofficial builds is AT YOUR OWN RISK - and you are *GUARANTEED* to have broken features at any given build right now as we sprint for an initial release.

I think the menu should have better contrast for visability. That could even possibly differ between monitors and graphical settings so it would be great with a slider to change that yourself.

For those saying the menu is too hard to use in combat. As a medic (or when just helping your friend) you should take him to cover before starting any treatment at all. And about the "problem" to look at the spot. It doesn't even add more than a few seconds. And a total time of like 20 seconds to fully heal a wounded. That's not realistic if you think about it.

Feature suggestion

I would like to have those things that you hang the blood bags in when giving blood and that it should take a few minutes to be done. When the patient is getting blood he is immobilized like when handcuffed. Then you, as a medic, can leave the patient to help others in the meantime. And getting back to the one getting blood to see if it's ready to change bloodbag or if it's all done.

This is ofcourse all meant to be done in a medic fascility and not in the field.

After a few days of playing with ace I can say I love the new interaction menu. It's actually faster when you figure out all the small things you can do with it. And it's more immersive. Thanks for the always show cursor options and shadows for the text. That was really helpful. Was impressed by soundwave feature. Really nice, and works with tfar without any problems.

I wonder if something like that is possible - let's say my interaction key is tilde, so when I press tilde interaction menu activates with cursor enabled. But if I press alt+tilde interaction menu will open up without cursor so I can look around and interact with objects. Just a small idea, maybe will be useful to someone.

For the people complaining about the interaction menu it shouldn't be too hard to make your own interaction menus using the CBA fleximenu and configs from ACE3.

Just use cba_fnc_addKeybindToFleximenu to add new keybindings for self and interaction menus. Then create some scripts for the menus (fnc_menuDef.sqf and fnc_menuDef_Self.sqf), and inside them populate the menus with the ACE interaction configs. I did a little bit of testing for the self interaction menu. Of course not everything can be converted so easily using the fleximenu and some things would require a bit more work.

[color="#FF8040"][color="#1874CD"]#include[/color] [color="#7A7A7A"]"script_component.hpp"[/color]
[color="#1874CD"]#include[/color] [color="#7A7A7A"]"\a3\editor_f\Data\Scripts\dikCodes.h"[/color]

[color="#191970"][b]private[/b][/color] [color="#8B3E2F"][b][[/b][/color][color="#7A7A7A"]"_menuDef"[/color][color="#8B3E2F"][b],[/b][/color] [color="#7A7A7A"]"_target"[/color][color="#8B3E2F"][b],[/b][/color] [color="#7A7A7A"]"_params"[/color][color="#8B3E2F"][b],[/b][/color] [color="#7A7A7A"]"_menuName"[/color][color="#8B3E2F"][b],[/b][/color] [color="#7A7A7A"]"_menuRsc"[/color][color="#8B3E2F"][b],[/b][/color] [color="#7A7A7A"]"_menus"[/color][color="#8B3E2F"][b]][/b][/color][color="#8B3E2F"][b];[/b][/color]

PARAMS_2[color="#8B3E2F"][b]([/b][/color][color="#000000"]_target[/color][color="#8B3E2F"][b],[/b][/color][color="#1874CD"]_params[/color][color="#8B3E2F"][b])[/b][/color][color="#8B3E2F"][b];[/b][/color]

[color="#006400"][i]//...[/i][/color]

[color="#1874CD"]_objectType[/color] [color="#8B3E2F"][b]=[/b][/color] [color="#000000"]_target[/color][color="#8B3E2F"][b];[/b][/color]
[color="#191970"][b]if[/b][/color] [color="#8B3E2F"][b]([/b][/color][color="#191970"][b]typeName[/b][/color] [color="#000000"]_target[/color] [color="#8B3E2F"][b]=[/b][/color][color="#8B3E2F"][b]=[/b][/color] [color="#7A7A7A"]"OBJECT"[/color][color="#8B3E2F"][b])[/b][/color] [color="#191970"][b]then[/b][/color] [color="#8B3E2F"][b]{[/b][/color]
   [color="#1874CD"]_objectType[/color] [color="#8B3E2F"][b]=[/b][/color] [color="#191970"][b]typeOf[/b][/color] [color="#000000"]_target[/color][color="#8B3E2F"][b];[/b][/color]
[color="#8B3E2F"][b]}[/b][/color][color="#8B3E2F"][b];[/b][/color]
[color="#1874CD"]_actionsCfg[/color] [color="#8B3E2F"][b]=[/b][/color] [color="#191970"][b]configFile[/b][/color] [color="#8B3E2F"][b]>[/b][/color][color="#8B3E2F"][b]>[/b][/color] [color="#7A7A7A"]"CfgVehicles"[/color] [color="#8B3E2F"][b]>[/b][/color][color="#8B3E2F"][b]>[/b][/color] [color="#1874CD"]_objectType[/color] [color="#8B3E2F"][b]>[/b][/color][color="#8B3E2F"][b]>[/b][/color] [color="#7A7A7A"]"ACE_SelfActions"[/color][color="#8B3E2F"][b];[/b][/color]

[color="#006400"][i]//...[/i][/color]

[color="#191970"][b]for[/b][/color] [color="#7A7A7A"]"_i"[/color] [color="#191970"][b]from[/b][/color] [color="#FF0000"]0[/color] [color="#191970"][b]to[/b][/color] [color="#8B3E2F"][b]([/b][/color][color="#191970"][b]count[/b][/color] [color="#1874CD"]_actionsCfg[/color][color="#8B3E2F"][b])[/b][/color] [color="#8B3E2F"][b]-[/b][/color] [color="#FF0000"]1[/color] [color="#191970"][b]do[/b][/color] [color="#8B3E2F"][b]{[/b][/color]

[color="#006400"][i]//...[/i][/color][/color]

Result

http://i.imgur.com/jjPDFg0.png (938 kB)

Edited by thrax

I'm glad for new system.No game should have permanent menu to access features.