noubernou

ACE3 - A collaborative merger between AGM, CSE, and ACE

Been playing around with configuring some swedish frag grenades with ACE3 fragmentation simulation. It's really cool stuff! The amount of fragments that spawn seem to be kind of low though. I can understand if there's some consideration of performance, but is there any way for me to increase the amount of fragments? One of the grenades (in the real world) sends out about 1100 splinters and 230 steel balls at the same time.

Add more people you'll get more frag. If you mean for visuals then at the moment no.

---------- Post added at 06:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:13 PM ----------

Right, but most of those 1330 pieces don't go very far. They fall inside the lethal radius, and at short distances the damage is represented by vanilla Arma AoE. The frag system is only supposed to model the outlier projectiles that fly much farther*, and actually come close to hitting someone. No need to model the 952 fragments that never came near a victim.

*For instance, the chunk of tail fin from an RPG-7 round that somersaults 250m and smacks you upside the head. Lights out.

No, it's meant to simulate all frag. People should not be over compensating their indirectHitRange values for fragmentation.

Thats already an option in the ACE Settings menu.

It is? I though it was possible only for self-interaction menu

Thanks NouberNou and Maturin :)

I was mostly judging just by visuals. Perhaps it is not the best way.

I have been comparing it to videos of frag grenades thrown in dusty areas because then you can see some of the fragments hit the ground and kind of get an idea of how dense it is.

Example:

Also, in ACE3, there seems to be a significant delay before fragments spawn. Either that, or they move very slowly through the air. Again, look in the video I posted. It's impossible to discern a time difference from the detonation until the fragments hit the surrounding environment.

Most important thing though, is that fragments are a danger, and ACE3 has achieved that. :)

I love the new menu it works most times better and faster than any previous solution.

And it is very good that you guys don't plan on making it modular in the pbos, that will make it one ACE for the whole community like it should be. I mean after all it is up to the mission maker to to choose wich stuff he wishes to use for his own little community he makes his stuff for.

I don't get why everyone is whining about that, just make a template for your missionbuilders in your community with all modules set like your unit wants them to be, so they can merge it with their missions and don't have to set them up all by them self wich is not really hard. But I see no other reason why you should dislike it otherwise.

How modular is ACE3 going to be?

I have used AGM for a bit and while I liked the medical system a lot, I did not like its nametags, changed AI, changed weapon names, deafness. None of this was possible to turn off, despite AGM being advertised as highly modular. It was forcing too much that I did not really want. Will ACE3 avoid that and be so modular that I can have a medical system, and only that medical system, nothing else?

And I would have to disagree with the previous posters. I rather have it modular in the PBOs, so the whole ACE3 gets loaded when I only want a fraction of it to be loaded, possibly saving on load times. Because I think it is a bad assumption that every will want the complete package (which in the case of AGM conflicted with other mods

Edited by alleycat

How modular is ACE3 going to be?

I have used AGM for a bit and while I liked the medical system a lot, I did not like its nametags, changed AI, changed weapon names, deafness. None of this was possible to turn off, despite AGM being advertised as highly modular. It was forcing too much that I did not really want. Will ACE3 avoid that and be so modular that I can have a medical system, and only that medical system, nothing else?

And I would have to disagree with the previous posters. I rather have it modular in the PBOs, so the whole ACE3 gets loaded when I only want a fraction of it to be loaded, possibly saving on load times. Because I think it is a bad assumption that every will want the complete package (which in the case of AGM conflicted with other mods

Fully modular, it's just as modular as AGM if not more. It's only 60MB unzipped... It's far easier for communities to play together if everyone already has the entire mod and its as simple as toggling something on or off in the editor. But to answer your question, removing individual pbos works as long as the core is kept.

Edited by Woods825

Random question, the github download is all uncompiled things. Does that mean there is no playable version available yet? Or in case one has to compile it by himself, is there a ready-to-go version to download?

Random question, the github download is all uncompiled things. Does that mean there is no playable version available yet? Or in case one has to compile it by himself, is there a ready-to-go version to download?

The ACE3 Team never release anything yet. Just the repo is publicly available, so there are some builds floating around. You can consider them to be pre alpha.

Some specific questions:

1. Will ACE3 mess in any way with sound volumes or deafness effects on the default settings without any modules? I would rather not have any mod interfere with the sounds after the Marksman DLC.

2. Is it possible to force any form of nametags off completely for every player? Force off in the module does not work, and an error appears when the module is present.

3. How to use the interaction system? I have placed a module and tried all the usual interaction keys from Arma2

take a look through armaholic.com

You will find there

---------- Post added at 11:26 ---------- Previous post was at 11:23 ----------

Some specific questions:

3. How to use the interaction system? I have placed a module and tried all the usual interaction keys from Arma2

Take a look to the official webpage. you will find there all you need about the mod

http://acemod.github.io/ACE3/

Some suggestions:

1. Make the weapon "real" names modular too.

2. The PIP for scopes should be further away from the player's view. Feels like looking through a submarine periscope.

RHS PIP scope is far more natural:

http://abload.de/img/arma32015-02-2122-45-75u68.png (2943 kB)

If feels very unnatural when aiming through it to have the scope optic feel like it is 1 cm away from your eyes. On most modern day weapons the scope is a bit further and RHS did it perfect

About the self interaction key, they do not work for me

ACE_Interaction Interaction Menu Win_Left

ACE_Interaction Interaction Menu (Self) Ctrl Win_Left

@alleycat if you don't want realistic names and deafness why to use ACE?

ACE was always aimed to realistic milsims groups.

Removing pbo is a no go for large multiclan events.Setting modules in editor is the best way,period.

@alleycat if you don't want realistic names and deafness why to use ACE?

ACE was always aimed to realistic milsims groups.

Removing pbo is a no go for large multiclan events.Setting modules in editor is the best way,period.

Nah. Either everything but the core features is optional or nothing is. Making some features optional, but others forced is not a good idea in regards of usability.

Suggestions:

- Field rations

- Ability to dismantle snipers and carry them in a backpack

- Hacking system (hack doors, lights, etc)

- Limited oxygen (divers, pilots)

- Cell Phones (Civilians will call each other for help. or to advise the enemy..)

- Gasmasks and gas grenades

- Cold or heat, depending weather and clothes. (This affects the resistance, fatigue and weapon stability...yes, like in Dayz)

- Ability to climb

- Push and tow vehicles

- Build barricades

- Civilian interrogation (reaction depending your stance. Ie: They´ll tell you everything about a secret enemy base if you aiming to his head LOL)

- :yay:THROW MAG TO AN ALLY (If a team mate is under fire without ammo, you dont need to go there and receive fire :D simply throw the mag)

Edited by HeadPop

2. The PIP for scopes should be further away from the player's view. Feels like looking through a submarine periscope.

RHS PIP scope is far more natural:

http://abload.de/img/arma32015-02-2122-45-75u68.png (2943 kB)

If feels very unnatural when aiming through it to have the scope optic feel like it is 1 cm away from your eyes. On most modern day weapons the scope is a bit further and RHS did it perfect

if you look closer, ACE and RHS do PIP differently. RHS makes the scope itself PIP, while ACE makes everything except the scope PIP.

if ACE were to make the scope take less screen space, PIP would have to render more of it, leading to FPS drops. on the other hand, RHS PIP looks terrible, because to save FPS you need to have PIP render at lower quality, and currently it's barely usable (doesn't magnify, distorts the picture).

anyway, I do agree with you, 2D type of scopes should be done more like in Project Reality, but preferably enhanced (with parallax etc.) but I really wonder if it's doable in Arma 3 at all without a significant FPS hit

I can't wait for the release.

A few things that could be cool and has already been mentioned:

- Return of the Gasmask and CN grenades. (Something like the AGM stungrenade?)

- Field rations and water? Nothing too serious. Perhaps just fatigue penalties for being hungry / thirsty?

- Climbing was in AGM. I hope this stays in ACE.

- Vehicle racks & general ACRE compatibility :yay:

- Throwable banana :yay:

Imagine being in the field. Bullets are being fired everywhere and you see your enemy crouched behind a wall. You think you're lobbing a grenade, but then you realize you tossed your precious banana towards your enemy...

The field ration-thing could be a cool thing in my honest opinion. Nothing too crazy like "eat ten times an hour or die", but perhaps a hunger meter and a water meter. If you hit bottom your vision would blur, get tired easily and perhaps even pass out for short moments at a time? IDK, it's something me and the people I play with have wanted in our realism experience for quite some time. We tried a mod with this ages ago in A2 but sadly had to dump it due to compatibility issues. We had great fun with it though. Could be fun to earn the trust of the civilian population by handing out MREs and bananas.

climbing is in ACE3, though it can be iffy at times with where it allows climbing (same object can be climbed while looking at it at a certain angle only)

Suggestions:

- Field rations

- Cell Phones (Civilians will call each other for help. or to advise the enemy..)

- Cold or heat, depending weather and clothes. (This affects the resistance, fatigue and weapon stability...yes, like in Dayz)

- Ability to climb

- Push and tow vehicles

- Build barricades

- Civilian interrogation (reaction depending your stance. Ie: They´ll tell you everything about a secret enemy base if you aiming to his head LOL)

- :yay:THROW MAG TO AN ALLY (If a team mate is under fire without ammo, you dont need to go there and receive fire :D simply throw the mag)

- I would rather the ACE team spends time on more game play features than something that will be used once every couple hours like food.

- Hacking can be simulated with scripts, not something that should be included in ACE

- For the amount of gameplay time spent underwater I don't think O2 would be and issue for divers using re-breathers. Pilots don't need O2, and they have more available O2 available than fuel, in regards to time.

- Cell Phones would be cool, but I think something like that would be better with ACRE or something.

- I can easily see gasmasks and gas types being introduced by ACE

- AGM did have a temp check, but I think it was more for the weapon, might be a good feature

- AGM also had climb, I would expect it to make it into ACE

- I would be object interaction like push/tow will make it in. RF3 Logistics does it pretty well.

- AGM had an ability to deploy sandbags and wire but it was rough, RF3 did it much better, I bet it will be in ACE

- Civi interrogation sounds cool

- Throwing mags would be awesome too, would hate to lose it in the environment too though.

ACE medical system will have the classic "Medikit"? Now, if a select advanced/advanced, the epi doesnt get up the people, only with the Aid Kit can do it and u don´t need blood never.

Edited by altarir

Suggestions:

- Field rations

- Ability to climb

- Push and tow vehicles

- Build barricades

1, hopefully not, annoying shit. DayZ okay, whatever, your play one char for days and so on. But i don't want to think about that annoying shit when playing a 2-3 hour mission.

2, nah

3, what for? Maybe nice to lock doors so enemy can not get in that fast in PvP, but that would be absolutely low prio...

4, Divers have rebreather, without you should drown (never tried this one?)

5, as someone said, more ACRE related imho

6, yeh, gasmasks, gas, wohoo! Do it!

7, don't know what i should think about that, somehow it would be nice, somehow it would be annoying as fuck like field rations

8, climb is already implemented?

9, yepp, that would be really nice for logistics

10, wasnt there something like that in AGM already? So i think we will get this one too...

11, was in AGM too, afaik, it was possible to tell them "Get away!" and "Get down!" but just if you were armed.

12, Mag-throw? Sound not to bad actually ^^

@alleycat

It was possible to deactivate at least the names over the heads via options.

Why would anyone would deactivate the real names? *shrug*

And the scope thing is a "take it or leave it" thing, they decided it and they won't change it for one person.

Now this isn't a suggestion but I'm curious, with ACE's medical system would it be possible to have stun rounds of sorts? basically instead of doing damage they knock you unconsious which would be good for both securing a HVT, non-lethal riot control, controlling half of Shacktac's members when they're the HVT, and the main reason I thought of this, TvT training without having to clean up bodies in MCC.

1, hopefully not, annoying shit. DayZ okay, whatever, your play one char for days and so on. But i don't want to think about that annoying shit when playing a 2-3 hour mission.

2, nah

3, what for? Maybe nice to lock doors so enemy can not get in that fast in PvP, but that would be absolutely low prio...

4, Divers have rebreather, without you should drown (never tried this one?)

5, as someone said, more ACRE related imho

6, yeh, gasmasks, gas, wohoo! Do it!

7, don't know what i should think about that, somehow it would be nice, somehow it would be annoying as fuck like field rations

8, climb is already implemented?

9, yepp, that would be really nice for logistics

10, wasnt there something like that in AGM already? So i think we will get this one too...

11, was in AGM too, afaik, it was possible to tell them "Get away!" and "Get down!" but just if you were armed.

12, Mag-throw? Sound not to bad actually ^^

@alleycat

It was possible to deactivate at least the names over the heads via options.

Why would anyone would deactivate the real names? *shrug*

And the scope thing is a "take it or leave it" thing, they decided it and they won't change it for one person.

1- Try running 2 or 3 ours with 30Kg in your back. You need water or energetic food.

2- The MMG machineguns always are carrried dismantled

4- Whats wrong about having a simple O2 meter

5- Im agree with you