noubernou

ACE3 - A collaborative merger between AGM, CSE, and ACE

Respect to you guys and your stance on that and the open source license, I cant tell you how much my community and I have been waiting for ACE3. Just Fecking Awesome!!

ACE3 be more AGM o CSE system? CSE is based in moduls placed on editor. I not like this system, this create a dependence of editor job. And AGM use an addon system, this is more easy for use.

The advantage of editor modules is that the system isn't very intrusive and hence might not introduce too much unexpected behavior in missions that were not designed for it. A major issue with ACE on Arma 2 was that playing vanilla missions with ACE loaded could result in bad surprises (for example lack of medical equipment in the mission). Restricting to pick-and-choose for mission makers will better ensure that the missions work as expected.

On the downside, you might not get the benefits of ACE in a vanilla mission which would potentially work flawlessly.

Personally I'd prefer modules, but as I said that's personal preference. Or, at least have a single "Requires ACE" module that would enable its features to prevent the kind of surprises you might otherwise get.

Send from my tablet, so pardon any autocorrect bollocks

I hope that there will be sound modifications like there were in ACE2.

Do not think so. The modification of sound in ACE2 was necessary because the sound in ArmA 2 was not very realistic. Instead on Arma 3 sound is much improved, and the quality is very high. Yes, It has not everything you would want, but with such an outdated engine that still runs 32bit is what we aspire to, if not we even lower than we have already FPS.

Still, if the modular system is good, and therefore to put or not put the sound system itself is easy and does not create dependency problems, I see no problem in including an upgraded sound system. Although unfortunately the sound systems are based on Internet videos audios, where the sound is not captured correctly.

So said at first that the sound of Arma 3 is a great improvement over the Arma 2.

The advantage of editor modules is that the system isn't very intrusive and hence might not introduce too much unexpected behavior in missions that were not designed for it. A major issue with ACE on Arma 2 was that playing vanilla missions with ACE loaded could result in bad surprises (for example lack of medical equipment in the mission). Restricting to pick-and-choose for mission makers will better ensure that the missions work as expected.

On the downside, you might not get the benefits of ACE in a vanilla mission which would potentially work flawlessly.

Personally I'd prefer modules, but as I said that's personal preference. Or, at least have a single "Requires ACE" module that would enable its features to prevent the kind of surprises you might otherwise get.

AGM handled it well. By default in vanilla, all Arma infantrymen get a mandatory FAK. Whenever AGM detected a FAK in a units inventory, it split that up into some morphine and bandages. Lack of basic medical equipment like that shouldn't be an issue if the ACE3 medical system treats them similarly.

AGM handled it well. By default in vanilla, all Arma infantrymen get a mandatory FAK. Whenever AGM detected a FAK in a units inventory, it split that up into some morphine and bandages. Lack of basic medical equipment like that shouldn't be an issue if the ACE3 medical system treats them similarly.

In our community we use AGM from the beginning, and does not give us any problems "apparent" with the missions. As Sniperwolf572 says, if the system is well designed, do not have to give problems.

I agree that a system of modules in the editor is safer, as Alwarren says, but that requires editing all missions and groups have not always available editors.

In our community we use AGM from the beginning, and does not give us any problems "apparent" with the missions. As Sniperwolf572 says, if the system is well designed, do not have to give problems.

I agree that a system of modules in the editor is safer, as Alwarren says, but that requires editing all missions and groups have not always available editors.

In the early days of AGM you could simply include a script in the mission containing all the variables that were set via the modules in the editor. That way all you had to do was define these variables and were good to go. There was no need to add editor modules, which was way easier to make missions compatible (with your own playstyle - since default values were used if not edited). If you had access to the debugConsole, you could even edit these variables during the mission, in case you forgot something. Working with simple variables is way more flexible for players and mission builders.

Another way would be to create useful defaults. The problem with ACE² was that you had to place the editor modules because the defaults were only willingly used by a small minority of the players. If the developers were to define defaults for the different mod functions, they'd have to be created according to an actual average of use.

I actually thought AGM was ArmA III's equivalent of ACE. Nice to see it moving forward with other ideas, too.

I'm wondering: how much of AGM's wounding system is going to be in ACE3? AGM's system seemed like it was carrying ACE2's system for the game, but the one from the ACE3 trailer seems a bit different...

I also hope whatever AGM did regarding replacing medkits with bandages and morphine is continued with ACE3. Even though it only did bandages and later added morphine, I liked that approach a lot. I also liked how you could loot bodies for this stuff, which was an issue with ACE2: you could only loot people who had excess materials. If they had one bandage or morphine, it was kind of 'locked' to the unit. AGM got rid of that.

Edited by Foffy

First, I would like to say congratulations on this new project and good luck with the first release!

And second, I would like to ask you guys if ACE3 will feature some kind of Artillery Computer system like ACE2 had. Maybe sometime in the future?

Thank you very much and again, the best of luck with the project.

I actually thought AGM was ArmA III's equivalent of ACE. Nice to see it moving forward with other ideas, too.

I'm wondering: how much of AGM's wounding system is going to be in ACE3? AGM's system seemed like it was carrying ACE2's system for the game, but the one from the ACE3 trailer seems a bit different...

I also hope whatever AGM did regarding replacing medkits with bandages and morphine is continued with ACE3. Even though it only did bandages and later added morphine, I liked that approach a lot. I also liked how you could loot bodies for this stuff, which was an issue with ACE2: you could only loot people who had excess materials. If they had one bandage or morphine, it was kind of 'locked' to the unit. AGM got rid of that.

You never heard of CSE medical? CSE did this infinitely better. AGM's medical was a basic version of ACE2 which, don't get me wrong is great, but those of us who like a little bit of a challenge, more realistic options, CSE's medical trumped AGM's. But it comes down to taste and personal preference. By the looks of the trailer, it looks like its CSE medical implemented. The beauty of CSE is that you can set the type of wounding system you want. Want basic? Well its there, you want advanced and realistic settings? Well its there too. Modular. I hope ACE3 incorporate elements from BOTH AGM and CSE. I am glad they merged, only good things can come from this.

I love CSE medical, but my only issue was the number of wounds that someone could take was a bit rediculus. If there's a way to limit the number of wounds to something less than 50, it would be perfect. There's only so many large wounds a person can take before they would just become a larger wound.

We never had that many wounds, 15 tops on a guy who've been litteraly torn apart by MG and ofc KIA. Also, that's where TC3 comes in, if you can't handle a casualty by yourself, get someone to help if the conditions are fiiting (green/orange zone).

Regarding ACE, I noticed that the medical system is probably even more extended from CSE one. As you can see on the teaser, when the status window pops up at 0:17, it shows the wound was inflicted by some specific way eg. gunshot (it shows up as "Velocity Wound Large"). CMS only differentiated beetwen non/bleeding and 3 sizes. I like it :)

Edited by Max255[PL]

You never heard of CSE medical? CSE did this infinitely better. AGM's medical was a basic version of ACE2 which, don't get me wrong is great, but those of us who like a little bit of a challenge, more realistic options, CSE's medical trumped AGM's. But it comes down to taste and personal preference. By the looks of the trailer, it looks like its CSE medical implemented. The beauty of CSE is that you can set the type of wounding system you want. Want basic? Well its there, you want advanced and realistic settings? Well its there too. Modular. I hope ACE3 incorporate elements from BOTH AGM and CSE. I am glad they merged, only good things can come from this.

I will admit plainly I am unfamiliar with CSE. To my knowledge, this requires the use of a module in the editor to activate, no? I may be 100% wrong n that, but I'm the kind of player who likes it enabled out of the gate, which AGM does, and ACE wounds did with the ASR Appendix addon.

I also am a little intimidated by the system. But, if it works out of the box with no use of the editor, I can eventually give it a go as it's now becoming a standard in ACE, which has always been the mod to make to game as realistic as it can get for infantry.

You can activate and configure CSE modules automatically with their server extension, works just like ASR Appendix did. I'm sure you will be able to do the same with ACE3.

ACE3 be more AGM o CSE system? CSE is based in moduls placed on editor. I not like this system, this create a dependence of editor job. And AGM use an addon system, this is more easy for use.

CSE was more than just placed in editor.

The devs had released a serverside addon that looked for an hpp file in your userconfig folder and let you activate and set parameters you wanted to be always active.

Additionally you could define modules in a missions description.ext to activate them / set parameters... for us the implementation ended up looking like http://pastebin.com/LZMAqV1U which let us keep the clutter down in there and things organized.

Edited by Fadi

I love CSE medical, but my only issue was the number of wounds that someone could take was a bit rediculus. If there's a way to limit the number of wounds to something less than 50, it would be perfect. There's only so many large wounds a person can take before they would just become a larger wound.

Cage and I discussed this and were going to put a limiter on. None the less personally I've never seen above 15 separate wounds.

P.S. Awesome to hear ACE3 is coming out!

Are we really sure that this wasnt a 1st of april joke because the news came exactly that 1st of april all over the net? :/

It's not an aprils fool.

Yes, we are sure.

Cage and I discussed this and were going to put a limiter on. None the less personally I've never seen above 15 separate wounds.

That would be awesome. The only time I've ever had more than 20 wounds per body part was a person who was on fire. My only concern would be with our medics carrying enough supplies to work on the team rather than one badly wounded soldier.

Edited by JKNuke12

That would be awesome. The only time I've ever had more than 20 wounds per body part was a person who was on fire. My only concern would be with our medics carrying enough supplies to work on the team rather than one badly wounded soldier.

Well that's for the medic to decide. Does he want to save one person and use up all his medical supplies or does that person need to suffer for the greater good of the group. ACE3's job is to make things realistic and not make things easier. IMO ACE needs to go all out with as much realism as possible no matter how hard something might be. It needs to be as realistic as it can be. That's what ACE is.

I'm sure the medic system will be customizable like the one ACE2 had, no need to worry. :)