strongly suggest? so the RHS version is somehow seriously flawed?

No it works perfwctly fine when RHS is up-to-date and installed correctly. It is just that RHS only offers a small set of highly detailed units/vehicles. CUP offers are large arsenal of different vehicles and factions for many different terrains and scenarios. As Escape lives on diversity and variety I suggest using CUP for Escape.

Example: It is easy to make an RHS mission on Chernarus but not on Takistan as the RHS units doesn't really fit there. CUP comes with believable units for all legacy terrains.

Also CUP will get large additions in the near future. Not sure what RHS plans but I don't think we will see largee content additio s in the near future.

• Like 1

+1 for cup support :)

NeoArmageddon any plans to port the escape mission to other cup terrains, like Bukovina, Bystrica, etc?

They are quite small for Escape. The concept works for small island like porto but I think small non-island terrains like Bukovina kind of break the immersion.

So I doubt we make a escape on such terrains anytime soon. But the porting tools are public and everyone can create and submit a port.

Hi All,

I am new to running an arma server, and I was trying your CUP version Escape.I tried the one listed on the front page and have now tried the Feb and Todays release of "bleeding edge" CUP Escape mission.

I seem to be getting the following error's repeatedly, I was wondering if someone could assist me in trying to get this going.

20:46:51 Error in expression <_unit = _units select 0;
_group = group _unit;

_group
};

drn_fnc_Escape_Create>
20:46:51   Error position: <_unit;

_group
};

drn_fnc_Escape_Create>
20:46:51   Error Undefined variable in expression: _unit
20:46:51 File mpmissions\__cur_mp.Chernarus\Scripts\Escape\Functions.sqf, line 277
20:46:51 Error in expression <
_dir = random 360;
_refPosX = ((getPos _refUnit) select 0) + (_minSpawnDistance>
20:46:51   Error position: <_refUnit) select 0) + (_minSpawnDistance>
20:46:51   Error Undefined variable in expression: _refunit
20:46:51 File mpmissions\__cur_mp.Chernarus\Scripts\Escape\Functions.sqf, line 642
_dir = random 360;
20:46:51 File mpmissions\__cur_mp.Chernarus\Scripts\Escape\Functions.sqf, line 642
_dir = random 360;
_dir = random 360;
_dir = random 360;

This repeats over and over.

I've tried this on a Linux and now on a Windows 20008 R2 server and I still get the same error's.

I have the CBA_A3 and CUP Terrains Core/Maps, Units, Vehicles and Weapons Loaded.

Is there any other requirement to get the CUP version of this mission to startup?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: I tried this with the Vanilla version too, and I get the same error messages for the vanilla version on Altis and Stratis maps.

Thanks

Asgaroth

Strange indeed. As you have the problem with all missions, I suspect your server has a problem spawning units and/or an addon is interfering with spawning.

Does the mission runs as expected besides the errors?

Strange indeed. As you have the problem with all missions, I suspect your server has a problem spawning units and/or an addon is interfering with spawning.

Does the mission runs as expected besides the errors?

When I try the Vanilla version with no mods loaded, I get the following in the RPT:

10:28:11 Error in expression <_unit = _units select 0;
_group = group _unit;

_group
};

drn_fnc_Escape_Create>
10:28:11   Error position: <_unit;

_group
};

drn_fnc_Escape_Create>
10:28:11   Error Undefined variable in expression: _unit
10:28:11 File mpmissions\__cur_mp.Altis\Scripts\Escape\Functions.sqf, line 277
10:28:11 Error in expression <
_dir = random 360;
10:28:11   Error position: <_refUnit) select 0) + (_minSpawnDistance>
10:28:11   Error Undefined variable in expression: _refunit
10:28:11 File mpmissions\__cur_mp.Altis\Scripts\Escape\Functions.sqf, line 642
_dir = random 360;
10:28:11   Error position: <_refUnit) select 0) + (_minSpawnDistance>
10:28:11   Error Undefined variable in expression: _refunit
10:28:11 File mpmissions\__cur_mp.Altis\Scripts\Escape\Functions.sqf, line 642
_dir = random 360;

The above line 642 error repeats continously, then I get a couple of these errors, which repeats continously

10:28:47 Error in expression <
_dir = random 360;
10:28:47   Error position: <_refUnit) select 0) + (_minSpawnDistance>
10:28:47   Error Undefined variable in expression: _refunit
10:28:47 File mpmissions\__cur_mp.Altis\functions\DRN\fn_RoadBlocks.sqf, line 44
_dir = random 360;
10:28:47 File mpmissions\__cur_mp.Altis\functions\DRN\fn_RoadBlocks.sqf, line 44
_dir = random 360;
_dir = random 360;

And then it cycles between these two errors repeatedly until I shut the server down.

I can login to the game, it runs, but it looks like only 3 AI are spawned at the starting point, after that, after several minutes of running around, I dont see any AI spawned in.

So, yeah, the game runs, but looks like I am only up against 3 AI units and that's it. So, like you said, it looks like an issue with spawning AI.

I am very new to the Arma series, and this is my 1st attempt at firing up a dedicated server, so, it's very possible a configuration issue on my side, unfortunately, I'm not sure where to start in debugging this.

I followed the server installation guide on the Bohemia wiki, and my server config is basic so I'm not too sure right now where the issue lies.

Would a server startup parameter potentially cause this issue, these are my startup parameters to arma3server/arma3server.exe

"-profiles=d:\Apps\Arma3\A3Master" -port=2302 -cfg=CONFIG_basic.cfg -config=CONFIG_server.cfg -noSound -autoInit -loadMissionToMemory -server -bandwidthAlg=2 -cpuCount=8 -exThreads 7

1. A3E_fnc_GetPlayers defined both in functions.hpp (functions/Common/fn_GetPlayers.sqf) and in Scripts/Escape/Functions.sqf, but that's not the issue

2. On dedicated, it returns empty list of players quite often (especially while not too much time passed after start). drn_fnc_Escape_GetPlayerGroup and some other functions easily fail because of that.

PS. Checked on RHS Chernarus_Summer version.

1. A3E_fnc_GetPlayers defined both in functions.hpp (functions/Common/fn_GetPlayers.sqf) and in Scripts/Escape/Functions.sqf, but that's not the issue

2. On dedicated, it returns empty list of players quite often (especially while not too much time passed after start). drn_fnc_Escape_GetPlayerGroup and some other functions easily fail because of that.

Hi thanks for the info, I thought this mission is designed for dedicated server setups?

How do you run arma3server[.exe] in non-dedicated mode, so that the above functions return correctly?

Is there something on my side I should set so that it can startup properly, I presume there are loads of people out there in the wild running this map on dedicated servers and dont have the errors I am seeing. I must have a setting somewhere which causes this?

Whoops... forgot to remove some entries from Functions.sqf. But that is not causing the problem.

The GetPlayer/GetPlayerGroup functions should be hardened against fail in the meantime. Didn't had a problem with it since quite some time.

Hi thanks for the info, I thought this mission is designed for dedicated server setups?

How do you run arma3server[.exe] in non-dedicated mode, so that the above functions return correctly?

Is there something on my side I should set so that it can startup properly, I presume there are loads of people out there in the wild running this map on dedicated servers and dont have the errors I am seeing. I must have a setting somewhere which causes this?

Is your server up to date? The functions pointed out by pedeathtrian are using commands introduced in 1.56. Escape will not work with A3 versions prior to 1.56.

Is your server up to date? The functions pointed out by pedeathtrian are using commands introduced in 1.56. Escape will not work with A3 versions prior to 1.56.

Hi, yes it is up to date, I just ran the steam updater and its validated the installation and there are no updates needed.

According to the RPT file, my version is:

Type: Public
Build: Stable
Version: 1.56.134787

arma3server only runs as dedicated. By design. Where else I was checking this functions is on client. And it never failed.

If you're new to Arma series (as you say) nobody expects you to unpack mission and fix stuff there. Posting issues on forum is already good job. Keep it up.

I run this mission for about month and a half now, on my homemade Linux dedicated server and play on it with couple of my friends, the same Linuxheads as me; on Linux clients.

So first I had to backport mission (only Chernarus_Summer variant) so it actually worked on 1.42. I had this and some other errors related to new commands (yeah, 1.42 was quite old for this mission). Fixed mostly by stubbing, additional error checking and falling back to old BIS_ functions. Arma Mac/Linux port updated recently, so I forthported it back to new commands >_<

And I was really planning reporting some issues there, but since mission started to work properly... damn... somehow it did not happen until now, sorry, NeoArmageddon, :D This mission is very addictive.

The other reason was Arma was very unstable and crashing like crazy with RHS mod, so I was not sure what is what and what is really related to mission. I only SQF'ing for that month and a half.

arma3server only runs as dedicated. By design. Where else I was checking this functions is on client. And it never failed.

If you're new to Arma series (as you say) nobody expects you to unpack mission and fix stuff there. Posting issues on forum is already good job. Keep it up.

I run this mission for about month and a half now, on my homemade Linux dedicated server and play on it with couple of my friends, the same Linuxheads as me; on Linux clients.

So first I had to backport mission (only Chernarus_Summer variant) so it actually worked on 1.42. I had this and some other errors related to new commands (yeah, 1.42 was quite old for this mission). Fixed mostly by stubbing, additional error checking and falling back to old BIS_ functions. Arma Mac/Linux port updated recently, so I forthported it back to new commands >_<

And I was really planning reporting some issues there, but since mission started to work properly... damn... somehow it did not happen until now, sorry, NeoArmageddon, :D This mission is very addictive.

The other reason was Arma was very unstable and crashing like crazy with RHS mod, so I was not sure what is what and what is really related to mission. I only SQF'ing for that month and a half.

It's great to see another linux user :) I want to run this mod on a dedicated linux server, as unix is what I am most familiar with, however, when I came accross the errors, I thought I would fire it up on windows to make sure there wasnt anything wrong with the arma 3 linux version. If I could get this working on windows, I will switch back to Linux and get it running there again.

I am new to Arma, however, this specific map was recommended by a friend who said it was absolutly legendary, I think khe said he had been playing it since co-08 or something like that. I'd really like to get this one going, as everyone I have spoke to who ever played Escape, seems to rave about it, I only got in with Arma 3 recently so have not had the opportunity to play the original Escape missions. In syaing that, even while I get these errors, I had my arse handed to me by those only 3 AI units that spawn up in the beginning, looks like this could be fun indeed when we get it going. I have read all the posts in this thread now, so I will hopelly run the CUP's versions of the maps as it looks like NeoArmageddon is also a dev on the CUP side of things, so that sould be a match made in heaven.

Thanks for the information thus far, looking forward to getting this mission going.

PS: I have now tried it wit bleeding-edge/15-03-2016/build-46-* and the issue is there too (just letting you know)

Keep the suggestions coming, I appreciate all the assistance thus far, thanks!

I just spotted that you're running on linux *clients* too, wow, ok, the only reason I have windows on my desktop is because of the games, has 1.56 linux client been released already? I thought it was the previous version (1.42 I think)

Sorry of going off-topic.

Keep the suggestions coming, I appreciate all the assistance thus far, thanks!

Start the mission on dedicated server and ignore the error messages. When logged in as admin and pressing escape you should have a debug console. In the upper part you can enter SQF commands and execute them (not of interest for now) and in the lower part you have a few lines for watching variables. You can enter variables there and evaluate them.

Try this while the mission runs:

• count allunits;
  • allplayers;
  • [] call A3E_fnc_GetPlayers;
  • str A3E_fnc_GetPlayers;
  • [] call drn_fnc_Escape_GetPlayerGroup;
  • group player;

Post the results here.

OK, here's the screen shots

Escape_1.png

Escape_2.png

Wow, the server has been running for roughly 25 minutes and my RPT file is 255MB.

I have drn_fnc_Escape_GetPlayerGroup this way:

drn_fnc_Escape_GetPlayerGroup = {
	private ["_units", "_unit", "_group"];

_units = call A3E_fnc_GetPlayers;
	_group = objNull;

if (!(isNil "_units")) then {
		if ((typeName _units) == "ARRAY") then {
			_unit = _units select 0;
			if (!(isNil "_unit")) then {
				_group = group _unit;
			} else {
				diag_log format ["%1:%2: A3E_fnc_GetPlayers returned invalid list!; _units: %3", __FILE__, __LINE__, _units];
			};
		} else {
			diag_log format ["%1:%2: A3E_fnc_GetPlayers returned invalid list!; _units: %3", __FILE__, __LINE__, _units];
		};
	} else {
	};

_group
};

and it produces 

18:56:47 Game started.
18:57:15 "mpmissions\__cur_mp.Chernarus_Summer\Scripts\Escape\Functions.sqf:479: A3E_fnc_GetPlayers returned invalid list!; _units: []"

this line 20-25 times in first minutes of the game (that was the last line).

I tried checking it on client too, but it seemed to work (not that I did not moticed it; it did not produce any output in rpt).

Edited by pedeathtrian

My logs starts like this, all I can see the the attempts to override some functions, and then the errors begin:

14:09:31 Starting mission:
14:09:31  Mission file: co10_Escape (__cur_mp)
14:09:31  Mission world: Altis
14:09:31  Mission directory: mpmissions\__cur_mp.Altis\
14:10:10 Attempt to override final function - a3e_fnc_systemchat
14:10:10 Attempt to override final function - a3e_fnc_systemchat_meta
14:10:10 Attempt to override final function - bis_functions_list
14:10:10 Attempt to override final function - bis_functions_listpreinit
14:10:10 Attempt to override final function - bis_functions_listpostinit
14:10:10 Attempt to override final function - bis_functions_listrecompile
14:10:10 Attempt to override final function - bis_fnc_missiontaskslocal
14:10:10 Attempt to override final function - bis_fnc_missionconversationslocal
14:10:10 Attempt to override final function - bis_fnc_missionflow
14:10:10 Connected to Steam servers
14:10:10 c:\w\stable\futura\lib\network\networkserver.cpp NetworkServer::OnClientStateChanged:NOT IMPLEMENTED - briefing!
14:10:10  Mission id: 1b518a7b975570464534f2efdd5dc75d7caff308
14:10:10 "Escape Diaglog: No parameters found or params were updated, loading default."
14:10:10 Attempt to override final function - a3e_fnc_getplayers
14:10:13 Weather was forced to change
14:10:13 Cannot create non-ai vehicle HeliHEmpty,
14:10:13 class HitPoints::HitFuel not found in O_HMG_01_high_F
14:10:16 MovesType CfgGesturesMale load time 321 ms
14:10:17 Animation a3\cargoposes_f_heli\anim\passenger_inside_5aim_obstructed.rtm not found or empty
14:10:17 Animation a3\cargoposes_f_heli\anim\passenger_inside_5aim_fromobstructed.rtm not found or empty
14:10:17 Animation a3\cargoposes_f_heli\anim\passenger_inside_5aim_toobstructed.rtm not found or empty
14:10:17 Animation a3\cargoposes_f_heli\anim\passenger_inside_5aimpistol_obstructed.rtm not found or empty
14:10:17 Animation a3\cargoposes_f_heli\anim\passenger_inside_5aimpistol_fromobstructed.rtm not found or empty
14:10:17 Animation a3\cargoposes_f_heli\anim\passenger_inside_5aimpistol_toobstructed.rtm not found or empty
14:10:26 MovesType CfgMovesMaleSdr load time 9495 ms
14:10:28 soldier[O_G_Sharpshooter_F]:Some of magazines weren't stored in soldier Vest or Uniform?
14:10:28 Cannot create non-ai vehicle HeliHEmpty,
14:10:29 soldier[O_Soldier_AR_F]:Some of magazines weren't stored in soldier Vest or Uniform?
14:10:29 Cannot create non-ai vehicle HeliHEmpty,
14:10:29 soldier[O_G_Sharpshooter_F]:Some of magazines weren't stored in soldier Vest or Uniform?
14:10:29 Cannot create non-ai vehicle HeliHEmpty,
14:10:29 soldier[O_soldier_UAV_F]:Some of magazines weren't stored in soldier Vest or Uniform?
14:10:29 soldier[O_soldier_UAV_F]:Some of magazines weren't stored in soldier Vest or Uniform?
14:10:30 Cannot create non-ai vehicle HeliHEmpty,
14:10:30 soldier[O_Soldier_GL_F]:Some of magazines weren't stored in soldier Vest or Uniform?
14:10:30 Cannot create non-ai vehicle HeliHEmpty,
14:10:30 soldier[O_HeavyGunner_F]:Some of magazines weren't stored in soldier Vest or Uniform?
14:10:30 soldier[O_Soldier_AT_F]:Some of magazines weren't stored in soldier Vest or Uniform?
14:10:30 soldier[O_Soldier_AT_F]:Some of magazines weren't stored in soldier Vest or Uniform?
14:10:31 Error in expression <_unit = _units select 0;
_group = group _unit;

_group
};

drn_fnc_Escape_Create>
14:10:31   Error position: <_unit;

_group
};

drn_fnc_Escape_Create>
14:10:31   Error Undefined variable in expression: _unit
14:10:31 File mpmissions\__cur_mp.Altis\Scripts\Escape\Functions.sqf, line 277
14:10:31 Error in expression <
_dir = random 360;
14:10:31   Error position: <_refUnit) select 0) + (_minSpawnDistance>
14:10:31   Error Undefined variable in expression: _refunit
14:10:31 File mpmissions\__cur_mp.Altis\Scripts\Escape\Functions.sqf, line 642
_dir = random 360;
14:10:31   Error position: <_refUnit) select 0) + (_minSpawnDistance>
14:10:31   Error Undefined variable in expression: _refunit
14:10:31 File mpmissions\__cur_mp.Altis\Scripts\Escape\Functions.sqf, line 642
_dir = random 360;

OK, here's the screen shots

Wow, the server has been running for roughly 25 minutes and my RPT file is 255MB.

count allunits = 50 looks like the mission runs fine and AI spawns. You sure there are no patrols in the area? Try walking to a town.

count allunits = 50 looks like the mission runs fine and AI spawns. You sure there are no patrols in the area? Try walking to a town.

I'll try again and see if i encounter any other units besides the 3 outside the starting point, the last time I tried it was the CUP Escape Chernorus and there were no AI after the initial 3 units that spawned, I played for a good 20 minutes afterwards without encountering any AI, at 2 different towns.

Let me try again now, with the Vanilla Altis mission, I'll let you know shortly.

I just tried it again, it took several attempts to get out of the initial compound, but there were 4 AI at the compound, i ran around the place for several minutes and came across a town, I ran down the main street without encountering any AI. 

I ran the count allunits command you showed me and its value was 44, so I presume they are showing up somewhere, I've just not managed to encounter them.

Half the problem here is that I have never played an Escape mission before, so I am not sure what to expect. I was under the impression that the AI show up fairly quickly and the game is supposed to keep you "on your toes", with scarce breaks in between lulls in meeting AI. I just ran around for a good 30 minutes without encountering AI (after dealing with the initial 3 or 4 AI that spawn in the beginning.)

Is that normal for this type of mission?

Is that normal for this type of mission?

No. Most of the time shit hits the fan.

• Like 1

Just a quick question, how would I go about specifying the mission parameters from the server.cfg file?

I want to increase the EnemyFrequency parameter to see if I encounter the AI more frequently.

Does something like this look right?

class Missions{
    class Mission1{
        template="co10_Escape.Altis";
        difficulty="Regular";
	class Params{
		EnemyFrequency = 2;
	};
    };
};

I've just tried it with 3 of us on the server, but there are still no AI units once we leave the initial spawn point. The "count allunits" command shows 52 units around, but we dont encounter them, we ran around for 20 minutes without encountering any of them.

Any other thoughts as to where I could look next?

OK, I think I found the issue, if I don't auto initialize the mission on server startup then the rest of the AI do spawn in, however, if I specify "-autoInit" then I only get the 3 or 4 AI at the beginning of the mission.

I still see the same errors while the mission runs, but at least the AI spawn in without having the "-autoInit" parameter.

Hopefully this gives you something to go on.