The missions in the updated versions are VERY difficult to even get out of the confinement area. As soon as you pick up the backpack the alarm sounds. It only happens in the tin shed the other one isnt too bad. But he tin shed has some flaws on difficulty. I even set the guards as cadets and as soon as you pick up the backpack the alarm goes off. 

Was playing on Outkasts' server with DarkFurby and others last night, and noticed the AI did not launch any CAS or fast movers on us... It may be the difficulty level or player count but was fun nevertheless. 

Are the any good resources anyone could point me to about getting escape working with a new mod?

On 30/12/2017 at 3:16 AM, Valken said:

Was playing on Outkasts' server with DarkFurby and others last night, and noticed the AI did not launch any CAS or fast movers on us... It may be the difficulty level or player count but was fun nevertheless. 

do you remember what mission it was and what server i will have a look to fix it 

download last version 1.8.1 . start on local computer - working all, start on dedicate server - not respawn patrols and blockpost. In rpt. file has many errors. Altis version http://joxi.ru/LmGn9RMiROjYpr

2:38:40 "0:5 Debug: Group 'O Alpha 3-5' garbage collected."
 2:38:46 "Initializing aquatic patrols."
 2:38:47 "Initialized aquatic patrols: 43"
 2:38:47 "0:12 Debug: Starting script Ambient Infantry..."
 2:38:47 Error in expression < _minSpawnDistance));
_spawnX = (getPos _referenceUnit select 0) + ((sin _direct>
 2:38:47   Error position: <_referenceUnit select 0) + ((sin _direct>
 2:38:47   Error Undefined variable in expression: _referenceunit
 2:38:47 File functions\Common\fn_RandomSpawnPos.sqf [A3E_fnc_RandomSpawnPos], line 14
 2:38:47 Error in expression < count _possibleInfantryTypes);

_group createUnit [_infantryType, _spawnPos, []>
 2:38:47   Error position: <createUnit [_infantryType, _spawnPos, []>
 2:38:47   Error Type Number,Not a Number, expected Number
 2:38:47 File functions\DRN\fn_AmbientInfantry.sqf [drn_fnc_AmbientInfantry], line 129

2:38:47 File functions\DRN\fn_AmbientInfantry.sqf [drn_fnc_AmbientInfantry], line 129
 2:38:47 "0:12 Debug: Starting Military Traffic CIV..."
 2:38:47 Error in expression <
_dir = random 360;
_refPosX = ((getPos _refUnit) select 0) + (_minSpawnDistance>
 2:38:47   Error position: <_refUnit) select 0) + (_minSpawnDistance>
 2:38:47   Error Undefined variable in expression: _refunit
 2:38:47 File functions\DRN\fn_MilitaryTraffic.sqf [drn_fnc_MilitaryTraffic], line 117
_dir = random 360;

2:38:37 Error in expression <rivate _player = selectRandom _players;
_player;>
 2:38:37   Error position: <_player;>
 2:38:37   Error Undefined variable in expression: _player
 2:38:37 File functions\Common\fn_GetRandomPlayer.sqf [A3E_fnc_GetRandomPlayer], line 3
 2:38:37 Error in expression <random 360;
private _refPosX = ((getPos _refUnit) select 0) + (_minSpawnDistance>
 2:38:37   Error position: <_refUnit) select 0) + (_minSpawnDistance>
 2:38:37   Error Undefined variable in expression: _refunit
 2:38:37 File functions\Server\fn_FindSpawnRoad.sqf [A3E_fnc_FindSpawnRoad], line 15
 2:38:37 File functions\Server\fn_FindSpawnRoad.sqf [A3E_fnc_FindSpawnRoad], line 15

2 hours ago, topden said:

download last version 1.8.1 . start on local computer - working all, start on dedicate server - not respawn patrols and blockpost. In rpt. file has many errors. Altis version http://joxi.ru/LmGn9RMiROjYpr

2:38:40 "0:5 Debug: Group 'O Alpha 3-5' garbage collected."
 2:38:46 "Initializing aquatic patrols."
 2:38:47 "Initialized aquatic patrols: 43"
 2:38:47 "0:12 Debug: Starting script Ambient Infantry..."
 2:38:47 Error in expression < _minSpawnDistance));
_spawnX = (getPos _referenceUnit select 0) + ((sin _direct>
 2:38:47   Error position: <_referenceUnit select 0) + ((sin _direct>
 2:38:47   Error Undefined variable in expression: _referenceunit
 2:38:47 File functions\Common\fn_RandomSpawnPos.sqf [A3E_fnc_RandomSpawnPos], line 14

2:38:47 "0:12 Debug: Starting Military Traffic CIV..."
_dir = random 360;
_refPosX = ((getPos _refUnit) select 0) + (_minSpawnDistance>
 2:38:47   Error position: <_refUnit) select 0) + (_minSpawnDistance>
 2:38:47   Error Undefined variable in expression: _refunit
 2:38:47 File functions\DRN\fn_MilitaryTraffic.sqf [drn_fnc_MilitaryTraffic], line 117
_dir = random 360;

2:38:37 Error in expression <rivate _player = selectRandom _players;
_player;>
 2:38:37   Error position: <_player;>
 2:38:37   Error Undefined variable in expression: _player
 2:38:37 File functions\Common\fn_GetRandomPlayer.sqf [A3E_fnc_GetRandomPlayer], line 3

do not use Auto Init on dedicated server it causes mission to not load random spawning infintry it breaks the mission

hope that helps

2 hours ago, topden said:

I am having trouble with co10 escape because when my friend spawns in he has his full load out of his class he picked. I am using the old version 1.7.5 with rhs and cup mods loaded. The newest version of co10 escape doesn't work with  the RHS and CUP Mods. I was wondering if there was a update co10 escape that works with rhs and cup mods.

No need to write me a PM AND write here, normally one is enough.

Regarding your question:

Use the newest release 1.8.1 or the development snapshots. Stuff like this, that was broken with A3 patches like the shift to 64bit is fixed there. 

Also make sure you don't use the "-init"- commandline argument, when starting your server/client.

Uhm, it might be a wrong place to ask, but well im pretty much of noob in arma 3 coding and logs seems fine
Here is the thing:
Hosting own dedicated server, mods are ACE, CBA, bunch of RHS and VCOM
Launching Escape RHS Tanoa mission by NeoArmageddon and Scruffy
Everything works fine, but later in 20-40 minutes or so server is freezing. It doesnt give me No message received or something, i can run around, my mates can do the same, but for each of us everybody else are staying still. Cant interact with inventory, units are standing still, cant log in as an admin etc. I mean, server just not responding. Might give 1 tick in 10-15 minutes and then hanging again
I guess some scenario is happening, which is loading server. Without VCOM everything is working fine
People seems playing VCOM fine so i beilive its working fine, but maybe somehow it has a conflict with Escape. Need to try VCOM at other missions to make sure

Anyways any ideas what might it be?

56 minutes ago, Bean Bonder said:

Uhm, it might be a wrong place to ask, but well im pretty much of noob in arma 3 coding and logs seems fine
Here is the thing:
Hosting own dedicated server, mods are ACE, CBA, bunch of RHS and VCOM
I guess some scenario is happening, which is loading server. Without VCOM everything is working fine
People seems playing VCOM fine so i beilive its working fine, but maybe somehow it has a conflict with Escape. Need to try VCOM at other missions to make sure

Anyways any ideas what might it be?

I think it is VCOM or any other AI mod. If the AI mod takes over a lot of units, you will get freezing because all of ARMA 3's scripting including AI runs on ONE CPU or THREAD!

So you can try adding a headless client to run the AI which will make the game much better.

Or drop VCOM or adjust the settings so it is not so heavy.

I play on Outkast's Escape servers and they use ASR AI (on the unsung) and it works fine albeight it is super hard since the AI is super accurate! Not sure if that was true during the Vietnam war but would not want to experience that in real life to find out! :D

So try a headless client if you wish to stick with VCOM (excellent AI mod) or another AI mod that is lighter on the cpu.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Valken said:

I think it is VCOM or any other AI mod. If the AI mod takes over a lot of units, you will get freezing because all of ARMA 3's scripting including AI runs on ONE CPU or THREAD!

So you can try adding a headless client to run the AI which will make the game much better.

Or drop VCOM or adjust the settings so it is not so heavy.

I play on Outkast's Escape servers and they use ASR AI (on the unsung) and it works fine albeight it is super hard since the AI is super accurate! Not sure if that was true during the Vietnam war but would not want to experience that in real life to find out! :D

So try a headless client if you wish to stick with VCOM (excellent AI mod) or another AI mod that is lighter on the cpu.

As i can see, this mission doesnt support HC

Maybe im doing something wrong, but well...

Thank you for the tip

Basically what Valken said.

I have bad experience with most AI mods. They work well with small scenarios with a couple of hand placed groups but when dynamic spawning is included, these mod seem to become performance monsters. Dunno why that is the case but I assume they don't handle spawning and despawning and the amount of AIs very well.

I suggest playing Escape without VCOM. The AI is not that bad, especially because we added some high level AI coordination into the mission. If you are missing some AI behaviours, just write them up, and I can check if I see fit for them to be directly included in the next Escape release.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NeoArmageddon said:

Basically what Valken said.

I have bad experience with most AI mods. They work well with small scenarios with a couple of hand placed groups but when dynamic spawning is included, these mod seem to become performance monsters. Dunno why that is the case but I assume they don't handle spawning and despawning and the amount of AIs very well.

I suggest playing Escape without VCOM. The AI is not that bad, especially because we added some high level AI coordination into the mission. If you are missing some AI behaviours, just write them up, and I can check if I see fit for them to be directly included in the next Escape release.

Oh, okay, thanks for this information

What i like about VCOM are: flanking/taking cover/spreading around system, the thing that they're not shooting through bushes aka there is no foliage, the thing that they use explosives if you're capturing the building for long time and rpg usage against infantry. They do much more, but those are options which i found pretty decent change of our escape experience

I see those flanking/building check/destroy/covering etc sqf files in vcomai.pbo, so maybe just importing some of those and connecting to the mission will do the trick, but i guess things are much more complicated

Anyways, this mission is badass, just wanted to try different ai, because got a bit tired of them mostly just going forward to you and having x-ray vision if there are some foliage between them and you

Thank you for the respond

20 hours ago, Bean Bonder said:

Anyways, this mission is badass, just wanted to try different ai, because got a bit tired of them mostly just going forward to you and having x-ray vision if there are some foliage between them and you

X-Ray vision is a myth. There were some cases of not defined viewlods on some A2 bushes but those are fixed. What the AI does is shooting at your perceived position. You can easily see this, when a machine gun is shooting at you, and you run behind a thin metal fence and stop. The AI will shoot your percieved position, which still moves further behind the fence. Same for bushes. If AI sees you running behind a bush, they are likely to shoot that bush but with an increasing inaccuracy. The AI does the same stuff as the players to. And supressing fire can sometime be effective.

If you have doubt, you can test this stuff with the "knowsAbout" command.

What I imagine VCOM or other mods do, is make a raycast/Line of sight check and just stop the AI from shooting if it can't see you, which is, atleast in my opinion, not realistic.

The high level flanking is in Escape already, just not on a squad basis.

• Like 1

Hi, I have ported the latest dev mission over to Taviana and trying to get gameplay to feel a little better. I have a couple of questions. 

1. Because of the large amount of cities or villages, I have placed a lot of village markers. Is there a limit to the amount of village markers before you start to see some bad performance? 

2. From the post explaining how to port: "You can place a single big marker or a bunch of smaller ones to cover a bigger city. If you want to confine the patrols to the inner part, make it smaller, if it's larger they will also patrol around the city."  Taviana has a couple big cities but they are still feeling quite empty. For big cities should i put multiple village markers instead of one giant one? My goal here is to have a big city have a larger amount of troops in it even if the patrol or amount of enemy settings are set to low.  Right now playing on low settings, I might encounter 3 or 4 troops in a very big city.

3. Is it possible to place troops on bridges? Taviana has a few big bridges, but not sure if the editor will just dump them on the water, or high up on the bridge.

thanks!

18 hours ago, daedum said:

1. Because of the large amount of cities or villages, I have placed a lot of village markers. Is there a limit to the amount of village markers before you start to see some bad performance? 

There is no hardcoded limit, but I wouldn't go over ~300 or so. Every marker is translated in two triggers and I assume there will be some performance loss on the server when the server needs to maintain too many of them.

2. From the post explaining how to port: "You can place a single big marker or a bunch of smaller ones to cover a bigger city. If you want to confine the patrols to the inner part, make it smaller, if it's larger they will also patrol around the city."  Taviana has a couple big cities but they are still feeling quite empty. For big cities should i put multiple village markers instead of one giant one? My goal here is to have a big city have a larger amount of troops in it even if the patrol or amount of enemy settings are set to low.  Right now playing on low settings, I might encounter 3 or 4 troops in a very big city.

The statement might be a bit misleading, as it was written for "normal" Arma maps, aka terrains from A2 and Altis. For escape it would be perfectly fine to place a large marker over Pyrgos on Altis, it will be ~800m-1000m in diameter. Some community maps have much larger cities and placing a single marker here is not adviced. There are two reasons for this: A large city with one marker is either active or not. That could mean that the players enter the city on one end, but the server spawns patrols 2 km away, behind the view distance of the players. The other reason is, especially for small terrains with a single, central city: The zone will be always active, as some parts of the city are always in view range.

I suggest placing markers with a maximum diameter of around 800m. When a city is larger, use several smaller markers with a slight overlap. This also gives you some design opportunities. For example on Beketov I recently placed larger markers in the outskirts, but the POIs in the city center, like stadium, police and military base got their own, smaller markers. This will result in enemies always patroulling these areas. The mission will look more realistic and "hand-crafted".

With the default settings, the game will try to spawn one enemy group for every 40000m² of city marker. That sounds much but is just a square of 200m side length. BUT there is a hard limit of 10 groups per marker, which you will run into, when the marker reaches 2km side length. 

3. Is it possible to place troops on bridges? Taviana has a few big bridges, but not sure if the editor will just dump them on the water, or high up on the bridge.

Manually place them or let them spawn on a bridge? Manually placing units in the editor is not recommended for escape, as those units are not cached or controlled by the AI commander.

Regarding spawning: Arma has some problems with AI and bridges. I can't do much here than hoping bridges won't get everybody killed.

is there anyway that we can force the Main Battle Tank to use there main guns

i keep getting asked if its possible 

On 10/9/2017 at 10:16 AM, NeoArmageddon said:

Heyho. That sounds like you are hosting the mission in your client. As the download page states, client hosting is not supported. You can start a dedicated server on your computer in the background with "-server" commandline.

Hey, can I ask just how this works? A little googling didn't seem to turn up much so here I am. Basically, I'd like to know how to set up the server for the scenario. Like, do I have to copy files somewhere or mess with configuration files or does the game magically somehow look at my client and set up the mods or passwords or what have you?