There is a bug in Vanilla Porto mission - not sure if it happens all the time, but one of 3 times we played it and got the map, there weren't any objectives (X markers) visible on the map, probably none existed.

Hi Neo,  Posting this here to see if we can figure out whats going on.

The Tanoa Escape for what ever reason isnt allowing me to change the parameters while in lobby as an admin on our dedicated server.  Not sure if this is due to a server config issue or not,  havent been able to figure that part out.

Considering this, i tried to depbo the mission and edit the params file to make the changes i wanted to see on our dedicated server.  When i packed the file back up,  and pushed it up to the server,  it failed to start and flooded the console with this...

._refPosX = ((getPos _refUnit) select 0) + (_minSpawnDistance>

4:17:14 Error position: <_refUnit) select 0) + (_minSpawnDistance>

4:17:14 Error Undefined variable in expression: _refunit

4:17:14 File mpmissions\__cur_mp.tanoa\Scripts\Escape\Functions.sqf, line 636

4:17:14 Error in expression <

_dir = random 360;

_refPosX = ((getPos _refUnit) select 0) + (_minSpawnDistance>

4:17:14 Error position: <_refUnit) select 0) + (_minSpawnDistance>

4:17:14 Error Undefined variable in expression: _refunit

4:17:14 File mpmissions\__cur_mp.tanoa\functions\DRN\fn_RoadBlocks.sqf, line 44

4:17:14 Error in expression <

_dir = random 360;

Its worth noting that I left the spawn distance alone at 700 and the only things i was attempting to change was,  squad size, difficulty, wartorn, and weather/times.

Is this anything you could help identify what might be causing either of my 2 problems trying to run this?

Thanks

SQiRL

Think i figured out the cause of this issue for me anyway.

Headless Client. If HC takes control of AI when you kick the mission from map screen, this happens and the mission just hangs.

If you kick the HC right before kicking it, all scripts initialize properly, and then HC can hop on and take AI without issue.

Does anyone know how to prevent a Headless client from connecting until say 1 minute after mission start? I was thinking about spawning the HC slot after mission start like you would spawn a trigger, but i'm no where smart enough to do that without assistance. 

I played online last night and we finally escape Tanoa in 8 player coop. Intense in the 3 hour mission that we got obliterated nearly completely with a ton of backup CAS and soldiers yet there was at least one guy who survived long enough to bring the rest of the team back. I played the Engineer so fixed most of our guys vehicles and thanks to teammates who secured a toolkit for my role.

During that time, I was wondering if you guys would consider porting this to the Unsung Mod to replicate the the last moment in the movie Platoon where the squad escapes the Viet Con run over? 

This is really one of the best coop missions I've been playing similar to all the old school SvenCoop missions in Half Life.

During that time, I was wondering if you guys would consider porting this to the Unsung Mod to replicate the the last moment in the movie Platoon where the squad escapes the Viet Con run over? 

Scruffy and I mostly only add terrains and mods that we actually play but there is a porting guide on the first side of this thread and when somebody does a port, we can include it into our development stream for further updates.

Hey, my brother and I are loving trying to two-man these missions lately.

I am kind of the resident mission editor/porter in the squad and I'm fixing to try to port the mission to the other CUP Terrains for some more variety/sadism...

I noted that earlier in the thread you said that the mission (obviously) wasn't created with Eden in mind...

In my experience, porting a mission from the 2D format to the 3D format doesn't really break stuff until you try to define game play rules from within the editor. It seems like most missions are scripted to rely on description.ext to do a lot of the heavy lifting for mission init, and Eden has the option to move some of those functions to the mission.sqm. Stuff like game type, player slots, respawn rules and garbage collection.

That being said, I'm not an expert on the under the hood stuff that missions do to initialize things... I'm just curious if you have tried converting the mission from 2D to Eden and had any luck?

In any case I'm gonna give a try and if I have any luck with it I'll make my ports available to you guys.

EDIT: I'm not against using the 2D editor to do it... I've just really become a lot more proficient using Eden these days.

Edited by crcerror1970

Hey, my brother and I are loving trying to two-man these missions lately.

I am kind of the resident mission editor/porter in the squad and I'm fixing to try to port the mission to the other CUP Terrains for some more variety/sadism...

I noted that earlier in the thread you said that the mission (obviously) wasn't created with Eden in mind...

In my experience, porting a mission from the 2D format to the 3D format doesn't really break stuff until you try to define game play rules from within the editor. It seems like most missions are scripted to rely on description.ext to do a lot of the heavy lifting for mission init, and Eden has the option to move some of those functions to the mission.sqm. Stuff like game type, player slots, respawn rules and garbage collection.

That being said, I'm not an expert on the under the hood stuff that missions do to initialize things... I'm just curious if you have tried converting the mission from 2D to Eden and had any luck?

In any case I'm gonna give a try and if I have any luck with it I'll make my ports available to you guys.

EDIT: I'm not against using the 2D editor to do it... I've just really become a lot more proficient using Eden these days.

What cup maps are you porting to that there arent already a version for? i saw cup/RHS and both versions for most maps?

Since last patch the 2D editor is gone, so yes, we used 3DEN for latest ports.

The mission.sqm only relies in three things: The player characters, two logics which span the usable area of the map (that helps to improve performance on maps with a lot of water/unusable area) and a "bootcamp" logic for caching units. 

The description.ext can stay as it is. All variables that need to be changed are in the defines.hpp and/or are automatically changed by our compiler.

For really porting the mission you need the porting missions which you can find on the first patch. You can load them in 3DEN aswell and move the markers there. As the export is scripted, it is editor agnostic.

What cup maps are you porting to that there arent already a version for? i saw cup/RHS and both versions for most maps?

AFAIK the ACR and CWR terrains are still missing as Scruffy and me are very lazy people (also I was busy including the CWR terrains in CUP in the first place :P )

The only old school map I've worked on is Nogova. I'm only planning on doing CUP versions at first. 

I really like the European landscape vibe that it has.and it is pretty friendly to your GPU. There's enough terrain detail to keep it interesting and the cities are dense enough for urban shenanigans. The road network is decently optimized for AI traffic, too. CUP Sahrani's roads, while better than the original Arma imports, still drive me nuts when I see AI driving.

I plan on eventually turning my attention to Malden, Everon, and Kolgujev. The ACR's Bystrica might be interesting since it's kind of a "Cherno Lite" and may be good for a shorter game. Bukovina would just be Porto style sadism... Although the lack of patrol boats might give you an advantage. :)

• Like 1

@neoarmageddon @scruffy Any chance one of you guys could point me in the right direction on a couple issues? I added headless clients to the mission in an attempt to help out server performance, it works GREAT except the extraction choppers seem to be waiting for the headless clients to get into the chopper. Depending on how you decide who should be in the chopper I am thinking a if (!hasinterface) would fix that, what file contains the relevant code?  I have been looking for about an hour and just can't seem to find it.

Any help would be great.

EDIT: You know it figures I find where you have added in for headless clients after I beat my head into the wall for 3 days trying to do it myself. 

server/fn_RunExtraction.sqf line 84 but you most likely need to edit /common/fn_GetPlayers.sqf so it doesn't count the HCs as players. I assume with your HC also the mission won't fail properly when everybody is unconscious ;)

server/fn_RunExtraction.sqf line 84 but you most likely need to edit /common/fn_GetPlayers.sqf so it doesn't count the HCs as players. I assume with your HC also the mission won't fail properly when everybody is unconscious ;)

That I had not checked yet. Would you be kind enough to explain how the HC is handled when detected by the mission? Are you creating the AI on the server and moving them or creating them on the HC?

That I had not checked yet. Would you be kind enough to explain how the HC is handled when detected by the mission? Are you creating the AI on the server and moving them or creating them on the HC?

It doesn't handle it at all. I wondered how you managed to "added headless clients to the mission in an attempt to help out server performance"^^.

Just addind a HC slot won't change anything. The serverside AI managment is in parts still from A2 and thus not compatible with HC. Making it compatible would mean changing nearly every script and function in the mission and is out of scope for me right now (not enough spare time).

It doesn't handle it at all. I wondered how you managed to "added headless clients to the mission in an attempt to help out server performance"^^.

Just addind a HC slot won't change anything. The serverside AI managment is in parts still from A2 and thus not compatible with HC. Making it compatible would mean changing nearly every script and function in the mission and is out of scope for me right now (not enough spare time).

So the lines from initPlayerServer.sqf 

if(name _player == "HC") then {
    ["HC present. Offloading AI."] spawn a3e_fnc_debugmsg;
    A3E_HC_ID = owner _player;
    if(A3E_HC_ID==0) exitwith {
         ["Getting HC ID failed!"] spawn a3e_fnc_debugmsg;
    };
} else {
    //[format["%1 joined the Game!",name _player]] spawn a3e_fnc_debugmsg;

do nothing?

I was trying to use werthles headless kit at first, just saw that piece of code last night when I was digging. With WHK it ***SEEMS*** like the AI caching / spawning system was freaking out a bit and constantly spawning and deleting units as they are moved to the HC. Was only ever able to get about 50 units spread across 2 HCs and it would keep 100 or so on the server with server FPS 10-20. Just using your HC system, at least I thought it worked, produced no change in server FPS.

*EDIT* 

Changing the initserver.sqf lines to

if(name _player == "HC" || name _player == "HC2") then {
    ["HC present. Offloading AI."] spawn a3e_fnc_debugmsg;
    A3E_HC_ID = owner _player;
    if(A3E_HC_ID==0) exitwith {
         ["Getting HC ID failed!"] spawn a3e_fnc_debugmsg;
    };
} else {
    //[format["%1 joined the Game!",name _player]] spawn a3e_fnc_debugmsg;

Stops the server from waiting for the headless clients, if they are named HC and HC2, for prison creation and extraction.

*EDIT* 

I ran through some debug cycles and it seems that military traffic is going BONKERS. It will create 20-50 vehicles, from debug messages, then immediately delete 10-40 units, again from debug. It does this with and without headless clients and WHK.   

16:51:23 "14:28 Debug: Vehicle 'drn_MilitaryTraffic_Entity_555' created! Total vehicles = 5"
16:51:23 "14:28 Debug: Vehicle 'drn_MilitaryTraffic_Entity_556' created! Total vehicles = 4"
16:51:23 "14:28 Debug: Vehicle deleted! Total vehicles = 3"
16:51:23 "14:28 Debug: Vehicle deleted! Total vehicles = 1"
16:51:23 "14:28 Debug: Vehicle 'drn_MilitaryTraffic_Entity_557' created! Total vehicles = 3"
16:51:25 "14:31 Debug: Group 'O Delta 4-1' garbage collected."
16:51:25 "14:31 Debug: Group 'O Bravo 4-3' garbage collected."
16:51:26 "14:31 Debug: Vehicle 'drn_MilitaryTraffic_Entity_558' created! Total vehicles = 4"
16:51:26 "14:31 Debug: Vehicle deleted! Total vehicles = 3"
16:51:27 "14:32 Debug: Vehicle deleted! Total vehicles = 1"
16:51:27 "14:32 Debug: Vehicle 'drn_MilitaryTraffic_Entity_559' created! Total vehicles = 6"
16:51:27 "14:33 Debug: Vehicle deleted! Total vehicles = 5"
16:51:27 "14:33 Debug: Vehicle 'drn_MilitaryTraffic_Entity_560' created! Total vehicles = 3"
16:51:27 "14:33 Debug: Group '<NULL-group>' garbage collected."
16:51:27 "14:33 Debug: Vehicle deleted! Total vehicles = 3"
16:51:27 "14:33 Debug: Vehicle deleted! Total vehicles = 1"
16:51:29 "14:34 Debug: Vehicle 'drn_MilitaryTraffic_Entity_561' created! Total vehicles = 4"
16:51:29 "14:34 Debug: Vehicle deleted! Total vehicles = 3"
16:51:29 "14:35 Debug: Vehicle deleted! Total vehicles = 1"
16:51:29 "14:35 Debug: Group 'C Bravo 2-1' garbage collected."
16:51:29 "14:35 Debug: Group 'C Alpha 3-1' garbage collected."
16:51:30 "14:36 Debug: Vehicle 'drn_MilitaryTraffic_Entity_562' created! Total vehicles = 3"
16:51:31 "14:37 Debug: Group 'O Delta 4-3' garbage collected."
16:51:31 "14:37 Debug: Group 'O Bravo 4-3' garbage collected."
16:51:31 "14:37 Debug: Group 'C Alpha 3-3' garbage collected."
16:51:32 "14:38 Debug: Vehicle 'drn_MilitaryTraffic_Entity_563' created! Total vehicles = 4"
16:51:34 "14:40 Debug: Group 'R Alpha 4-3' garbage collected."
16:51:35 "14:40 Debug: Vehicle 'drn_MilitaryTraffic_Entity_564' created! Total vehicles = 3"
16:51:35 "14:40 Debug: Vehicle 'drn_MilitaryTraffic_Entity_565' created! Total vehicles = 4"
16:51:35 "14:40 Debug: Vehicle deleted! Total vehicles = 3"
16:51:36 "14:41 Debug: Vehicle deleted! Total vehicles = 1"
16:51:36 "14:41 Debug: Vehicle 'drn_MilitaryTraffic_Entity_566' created! Total vehicles = 5"

The code above was just me testing HC and offloading.

But especially AI commanding and the search leader are linked with many other parts of the mission. AI will just cease to react properly in escape (patrols won't engage reported enemies, vehicles won't move to your last known position, artillery strikes will never be executed, etc) when simply offloaded to HC. The traffic problem is similar: Your script/HCkit offloads them to a client and the server loses track of the vehicles and spawns new ones. It is not that simple. Otherwise it would already be in ;)

The code above was just me testing HC and offloading.

But especially AI commanding and the search leader are linked with many other parts of the mission. AI will just cease to react properly in escape (patrols won't engage reported enemies, vehicles won't move to your last known position, artillery strikes will never be executed, etc) when simply offloaded to HC. The traffic problem is similar: Your script/HCkit offloads them to a client and the server loses track of the vehicles and spawns new ones. It is not that simple. Otherwise it would already be in ;)

Transferring ownership breaks waypoints and such. So it seems it would be a matter of having the units spawn on the HCs instead of transferring them. I could be reading wrong, I am not an experienced programmer, but it seems that you are using one script to decide what and where, and another to spawn and, another to control the units. If that is correct running the spawning scripts on the HC would produce the results I am looking for, right? Something like changing the 

if (!isServer) exitWith {}; 

to 

if (hasInterface || isServer) exitWith {};

The question is which scripts actually spawn the units?

I was looking at the first page and there isn't really explicit instructions on how to port the mission to another map. Is there a tutorial or wiki on how to do this?

Transferring ownership breaks waypoints and such. So it seems it would be a matter of having the units spawn on the HCs instead of transferring them. I could be reading wrong, I am not an experienced programmer, but it seems that you are using one script to decide what and where, and another to spawn and, another to control the units. If that is correct running the spawning scripts on the HC would produce the results I am looking for, right? Something like changing the 

It is not that easy. Infact you need to put all scripts that interact with AI to the HC as otherwise the whole AI control will break apart. And doing so will cause other problems like JIP will cease to work, etc

As I said: It is not simply changing a few lines.

(And changing !isServer to !hasInterface will just cause the scripts to never run at all ;) )

I was looking at the first page and there isn't really explicit instructions on how to port the mission to another map. Is there a tutorial or wiki on how to do this?

Here, first page, twelfth entry: https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/180080-co10-escape/#entry2838479

Small update:

Thanks to crcerror1970 and Scruffy Malden, Kolgujev and Nogova are now available for Escape with a broad range of different mod setups. Available in latest dev repository entry.

• Like 1

I ported the mission to staszow (Iron front)

with blufor as german and opfor soviets

everything seems ok but i cannot take map or compass from dead ai

but jip players can

i cant seem to find out why

does anyone have any suggestions?

*edit* it works when loaded from mission editor  but not on dedicated server

Did you ever release your version of Escape for Iron Front?

Because now that kju & Co have abandoned the overly-complex IFA3 Full and uploaded IFA3 Lite to Steam's Workshop, I think that IFA3L will become much more popular.

Did you ever release your version of Escape for Iron Front?

Because now that kju & Co have abandoned the overly-complex IFA3 Full and uploaded IFA3 Lite to Steam's Workshop, I think that IFA3L will become much more popular.

I am sorry but i did not as I could not figure out how to properly fix the bug with removing items from corpses and since then I have had to replace my HDD due to failure so I don't have the mission file anymore.

But all I did was edit the unitclasses.sqf to use the iron front units,  It is a very simple edit. 

*EDIT.  I just downloaded the iron front mod from steam and start porting escape to it,  Hopefully the updates to the mod will have fixed the previous bugs and i will link the completed mission when it is finished

• Like 1

Here is the staszow escape port

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0HoDv5EHf9DY3YyT2lXaHh1NzA

There are still a few things to to before it is fully ready but it is playable.

TO-DO LIST

*Re design the Com Centers for WW2 (the structures look to modern, and static mg is modern)

*Remove chopper options from Parameter options (maybe remove the script completly - debugger was going crazy)

*Remove NVS + TWS options from parameter options

*Fix a few cases of  "blue on blue"  (i heard gunfire in distance)

*Redo roadblocks (Static MG does not have a good view and cannot turn around,  To easy to flank)

*Map icons for ammo dumps and com centers are VERY small on the map (almost can't see them)

It would be great if someone can help with this.

*Remove chopper options from Parameter options (maybe remove the script completly - debugger was going crazy)

Why not replace them with light planes?

*Remove NVS + TWS options from parameter options

Better just remove the TWS/NV classnames. Otherweise the spawning might break

*Fix a few cases of  "blue on blue"  (i heard gunfire in distance)

Make sure Indfor and Opfor are friends (also in mission config AND editor).

Why not replace them with light planes?

Better just remove the TWS/NV classnames. Otherweise the spawning might break

Make sure Indfor and Opfor are friends (also in mission config AND editor).

I never thought of useing the planes,  I assumed that it  would not work as the search chopper is normaly spawned hovering,  But the FW 190 plane works great :)

All classnames for optics and NVG/TWS  has been removed from UnitClasses.sqf

I totaly forgot about the IND Allegiance in the editor,  The Blue on Blue is fixed now.

All that is left to do is

*Re design the Com Centers for WW2 (the structures look to modern, and static mg is modern And i dont think they had satellite uplink in 1944 :))

*Redo roadblocks (Static MG does not have a good view and cannot turn around,  To easy to flank)

*Map icons for ammo dumps and com centers are VERY small on the map (almost can't see them)

But i dont know how to do this.

Here is the version with the new fixes you mentioned

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0HoDv5EHf9DMnV0b3lOZlM0LUk

I made some edits so me and my friends can play with TaskForce Radio mod.

it works great for us so i thought i would share the edited files so others can use the mod

You can see the edits by searching the files for  TASK-FORCE RADIO

and to install just copy into your pbo

Files here https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B0HoDv5EHf9DZkxtbG51UV83bFU?usp=sharing

maybe someone can make a parameter option for this?