Hey guys,

First, well done on creating this mission - really awesome work!

I'm with a newly formed squad/clan and we were playing escape Tanoa for hours last night - really atmospheric at night in the jungle without NVGs for a lot of it - we had an absolute blast and it's a great mission for getting some strangers to bond and find out what makes people tick.

Anyway one issue we had was with not really knowing what we had to do as none of us had played it before - we knew we had to find a map, hack a comms tower and get to an LZ but after we hacked the tower nothing happened and we ended up raiding several outposts in the hope of finding something to help us.

Could someone please give us an overview of what we are supposed to do, what the different map symbols mean along with any tips you could share.

Thanks 

Hey guys,

First, well done on creating this mission - really awesome work!

I'm with a newly formed squad/clan and we were playing escape Tanoa for hours last night - really atmospheric at night in the jungle without NVGs for a lot of it - we had an absolute blast and it's a great mission for getting some strangers to bond and find out what makes people tick.

Anyway one issue we had was with not really knowing what we had to do as none of us had played it before - we knew we had to find a map, hack a comms tower and get to an LZ but after we hacked the tower nothing happened and we ended up raiding several outposts in the hope of finding something to help us.

Could someone please give us an overview of what we are supposed to do, what the different map symbols mean along with any tips you could share.

Thanks

Hi Urbanski11,

So this is what the flow is:

- Begin in the "prison".

- Kill a guard and take his weapon.

- Raid some squads (Hint: get to a main road).

- When you get a map of a enemy body, go to a ?.

- If the ? is a Comm center, you have to hack the communication box.

- You'll now see a LZ point on the map. 

- When you arived the LZ, make sure there are no enemy nearby. (for evacuation purpose)

- If it's all clear, you have to THROW A SMOKE and wait for the helicopters.

- If the LZ isn't clear, the choppers will be shot down.

- When that happened, you have to sure for a second Comm center.

I hoped this helped you :D

Please invite me if you do another run (A)

Greatz,

Darkfurby1

When running locally,  i go into the parameters options and can dbl click them and select which option to use.

But when #login adminpw and showing that im in as admin on the server,  i go into the parameters section on the dedicated server and the options will not allow me to change them. 

Sorry for dumb question, but... Are you by any chance trying to change parameters of already running mission? Does the same happen when you run #missions, reselect mission, then, while it is not started trying to change parameters?

Hi Urbanski11,

So this is what the flow is:

- Begin in the "prison".

- Kill a guard and take his weapon.

- Raid some squads (Hint: get to a main road).

- When you get a map of a enemy body, go to a ?.

- If the ? is a Comm center, you have to hack the communication box.

- You'll now see a LZ point on the map. 

- When you arived the LZ, make sure there are no enemy nearby. (for evacuation purpose)

- If it's all clear, you have to THROW A SMOKE and wait for the helicopters.

- If the LZ isn't clear, the choppers will be shot down.

- When that happened, you have to sure for a second Comm center.

I hoped this helped you :D

Please invite me if you do another run (A)

Greatz,

Darkfurby1

Hey Darkfurby1,

Thanks for the info - appreciate it.

So it's pretty much as we thought - only problem was that after we hacked the comms box we didn't get the LZ marker. It's clearly a bug or we did something wrong, either way we spent the next hour and a half looking for further clues and discussing what to do next, what did we do wrong etc...

Now we know...if we don't get the LZ marker on the map after hacking the comms box then we need to start over.

Another quick question, what is the difference between the enemy outpost markers - there are different types but it wasn't clear what they represented.

Thanks for the info :)

P.S. if you want to join up with us we are the 17th Airborne Division - we have our own discord channel and are open for new people to come along, join in, have some fun etc...if you search the squads and clans forum for our unit we have a post in the main recruitment thread there which gives details of how to join and who to get in touch with....cheers

Tested on Escape from Altis vanilla 1.8.0 (bleeding-edge/26-07-2016/); A3 stable branch from steam (windows version).

1. Actions for hack UAV terminal and UAV backpack are duplicated though I only have one UAV terminal and obviously only one UAV backpack, see screenshot

OaL3hpd.jpg

All actions work though.

2. UAV terminals and GPS (could be found in weapon boxes near wrecks) allow to use map and see where enemy positions located (if markers enabled). At the same time "Find map" task is still not completed (see screenshots)

aPMslLr.jpg

S1gaEox.jpg

Probably "Find map" task should be rendered completed upon finding UAV terminals and/or GPS also.

Anyway, "Find map" seems to be purely optional task since I managed to complete the mission without this particular task completed. When enemy markers are disabled or set to "Show upon discovery", this task makes no sense at all. Call it "Find map (optional)" maybe?

Finding the map is indeed optional but I will not mark it as "optional" as the default workflow is "Escape -> Find map -> Locate/Hack Comcenter -> Get to Evac". Getting to a com and escape without a map is a rare edge case. Marking it as "optional" will confuse new players like "I need to get to a comcenter, but how? I don't see anything and my map is black." The map tasks points out the map as an important object to beeing able to actively locate a comcenter.

I will add that a GPS will mark the task as complete.

Hi Neo,  Posting this here to see if we can figure out whats going on.

The Tanoa Escape for what ever reason isnt allowing me to change the parameters while in lobby as an admin on our dedicated server.  Not sure if this is due to a server config issue or not,  havent been able to figure that part out.

Considering this, i tried to depbo the mission and edit the params file to make the changes i wanted to see on our dedicated server.  When i packed the file back up,  and pushed it up to the server,  it failed to start and flooded the console with this...

._refPosX = ((getPos _refUnit) select 0) + (_minSpawnDistance>

4:17:14 Error position: <_refUnit) select 0) + (_minSpawnDistance>

4:17:14 Error Undefined variable in expression: _refunit

4:17:14 File mpmissions\__cur_mp.tanoa\Scripts\Escape\Functions.sqf, line 636

4:17:14 Error in expression <

_dir = random 360;

_refPosX = ((getPos _refUnit) select 0) + (_minSpawnDistance>

4:17:14 Error position: <_refUnit) select 0) + (_minSpawnDistance>

4:17:14 Error Undefined variable in expression: _refunit

4:17:14 File mpmissions\__cur_mp.tanoa\functions\DRN\fn_RoadBlocks.sqf, line 44

4:17:14 Error in expression <

_dir = random 360;

Its worth noting that I left the spawn distance alone at 700 and the only things i was attempting to change was,  squad size, difficulty, wartorn, and weather/times.

Is this anything you could help identify what might be causing either of my 2 problems trying to run this?

Thanks

SQiRL

CONFIRMED:  Adding "-autoInit"  to dedicated server startup breaks the AI in the mission. 

This produces the errors that Sqirl and others had where there missions would not work correctly.  -autoInit is used by some dedicated servers that need to run missions like A3Wasteland to have the game auto-run on startup between restarts.

-Motavar

We're having an issue with maps disappearing from our inventories randomly... CUP version on Altis.

Is there any specific information I can provide that could lead to this bug being squashed?

We're having an issue with maps disappearing from our inventories randomly... CUP version on Altis.

Is there any specific information I can provide that could lead to this bug being squashed?

We've seen the maps will disappear if someone does a JIP. Sometime desynch requires a player to drop and JIP. If maps are moved off a person and into a storage container (any vehicle will work) then they do not get lost.

No real testing of this, just an observation.

We've seen the maps will disappear if someone does a JIP. Sometime desynch requires a player to drop and JIP. If maps are moved off a person and into a storage container (any vehicle will work) then they do not get lost.

No real testing of this, just an observation.

Confirming this issue. All team loses their maps when someone JIPs.

So when I see (if I'm lucky) someone is joining, my first reflex is now to stash map into uniform, vest or backpack (that's enough actually). Or just have it always not in its slot, until its required. Not quite handy. At the same time GPS/UAV terminals are saved.

May someone post a bug report about that? http://phab.anzp.de/maniphest/task/edit/form/2/

And another question for you folks.

Is there any interest in the following stuff:

• Another platform for Escape discussions/feedback than this thread like a (small) dedicated forum or a steamgroup?
  • Is there a real interest from A3 squads/groups in me putting SteamWS mirrors of the Escape mission up?

It's a relatively straightforward mission that is uncomplicated to play, so I'm not sure you'd need another discussion platform.

I would like to see the mission on workshop though. If nothing else, as an official alternative to the modded (read ruined) uploads from others.

May someone post a bug report about that? http://phab.anzp.de/maniphest/task/edit/form/2/

• Another platform for Escape discussions/feedback than this thread like a (small) dedicated forum or a steamgroup?
  • Is there a real interest from A3 squads/groups in me putting SteamWS mirrors of the Escape mission up?

You can create a discord channel for it? Or open up your AT discord if you have on.

CONFIRMED:  Adding "-autoInit"  to dedicated server startup breaks the AI in the mission. 

This produces the errors that Sqirl and others had where there missions would not work correctly.  -autoInit is used by some dedicated servers that need to run missions like A3Wasteland to have the game auto-run on startup between restarts.

-Motavar

I am getting these errors spammed as well, I am not using -Autoinit and the mission runs fine, a bit of server performance issues with war torn mode but that gives the experience I am looking for. The only non unit/vehicle/weapon changes I have made are adding nre ear plugs and tad view distance script. I am also using ZBE cache as a server mod.

Putting up official steam workshop versions of the mission would be good, it will make it much easier for those who just want to play to be able to do so. Those of us wanting to host our servers or make our own port would be better served by this thread or a discord channel. This is IMHO of course.

+1 for official Steam Workshop releases, and a Steam Group to go with it could well be useful.

• Like 1

Really loving this mission. Works fine with Stratis and Altis but I'm having problems getting supported CUP Terrains to run with this mission. I'm trying to create a locally hosted game but I can't select the mission from either of the supported CUP Terrains (e.g. Chernarus) but shows up when I select Altis or Startis.

Anyone know how to get this working?

Escape v1.7.5

CUP Terrains Complete v1.2.0

Arma 3 v1.62.13749 (Main Branch)

EDIT:

Nvm, I'm stupid. I forgot to add the respective mission files to the MPMissions folder. I assumed I had them all in there; probably should've checked first. :wacko:

Hey NeoArmageddon,

we've played this missions an two evenings on Altis and Statis and we had a lot of fun.
Because played only with 2 and 3 players we didn't make it.
But we will try it again :-)

Do you planning an Tanoa version?

Do you planning an Tanoa version?

Check the FTP link on the OP, it's already done, runs lush :)

Because played only with 2 and 3 players we didn't make it.

You can do it with 2-3 people, you just tried enough^^

Sometimes I think the mission is even easier with just two people (more stealthy).

We've tried cup Altis perhaps a dozen times, with 6 players. Not beaten it yet

Also, note to players. Standing in front of a civilian Zamak to try to get it to stop might not go as well as planned.

Just wanted to say what a great mission to play on Tanoa! So far I am still 0 to 20+ against the AI!

I did have some questions about AI mods. I did try VCOM AI, AISS 2 and even MCC separately and when using these AI modules, the game lags and slows down tremendously. As soon as I remove all of these AI mods, the game smooths out but the AI is playing at near super human levels.

For example on ESCAPE TANOA SP, I break out of the prison, kill off the three guys, grab their gear, head 400 meters into the nearest town, take out one Syndikat and CSAT, then get sniped by an AK toting  Syndikat who just arrived at the prison over 400 meters away. 

Frustrating or those Syndikats are master snipers with iron sights only and in the dark! 

Any AI mods recommended by anybody to go with the Escape missions? I don't have as much AI lag when playing regular missions with around 50-60 total AI units. It may be because the enemy AIs are spawned into different groups which increases AI lag which I found when testing AI in Eden. If I group all the AI into 1 or 2 groups, it is way smoother.

Lastly, any online servers up with Escape on Tanoa that I join in with you guys? :D

Whilst my group always plays on the hardest difficulty (7-8players) we have only completed escape on a few maps.

We must have played Altis 50 times or more and still haven't escaped in a version 1.7+

We've escaped Tanoa (in the 2nd attempt)

Lingor (quite easy)

Chernarus (multiple times)

Podagorsk

Takistan (a few times)

Sahrani

and

Arbramia.

So we still have a number of maps including Esseker and Isla Duala to escape from just yet. But for some reason Altis seems to be the hardest.

I tend to find playing the Vanilla mission is far more difficult, I think that is because CSAT are far more overpowered than Russia from RHS.

I can't wait for mine fields and suicide bomber civilians (once you kill a civy)

-Motavar

Were you ever able to fix this, it completely locks up my server.