Thanks so much for all your hard work keeping this going. With RHS support and the reduced arty option, this is now a better experience than the original Arma 2 version, even with a small number of players. My friends and I have been having a blast.

I am certain it is always there. Just sometimes well hidden in the grass. In over 100 sessions we always had the backpack... we just had a search for it a few times ;)

In one of our three-player games, the backpack spawned about a meter outside the main gate. And because of the bug where the guards shoot you on sight, it was impossible to retrieve.

(btw, as a workaround for that bug, would it be possible to spawn a loop that sets captive to true every second until the escape has started?)

Also, I'm curious about the scripts and licensing of this mission. Obviously, the original mission work was by Enigma. What's the current license status? I noticed you have a github repo, but it hasn't been updated in 9 months. Do you plan to put up the source? And how do you manage the multiple map and mod ports? Do you have a build script for generating all of the variants from one common repository?

Thanks so much for all your hard work keeping this going. With RHS support and the reduced arty option, this is now a better experience than the original Arma 2 version, even with a small number of players. My friends and I have been having a blast.

Glad to hear!

In one of our three-player games, the backpack spawned about a meter outside the main gate. And because of the bug where the guards shoot you on sight, it was impossible to retrieve.

Woops... never had it actually outside... the backpack is placed in ~4m radius from the center of the prison and the prison itself has an edge length of 8m. According to geometry it should never be outside :D I will have a look at that.

(btw, as a workaround for that bug, would it be possible to spawn a loop that sets captive to true every second until the escape has started?)

The problems are all fixed in my local build (aka 1.7.3) but testing is not done yet. I completly refined the start and transferred nearly all commands to the servers scope. Looks good so far.

I also added an alarm siren. Very annoying. I like it. If I remember correctly, that was a wish from back in A2 when I made the modded Escape 1.6 for Podagorsk and Takistan.

Also, I'm curious about the scripts and licensing of this mission. Obviously, the original mission work was by Enigma. What's the current license status? I noticed you have a github repo, but it hasn't been updated in 9 months. Do you plan to put up the source? And how do you manage the multiple map and mod ports? Do you have a build script for generating all of the variants from one common repository?

The missions code (and the porting missions) is not released under a special license but you can treat the code like APL-SA. Means: You can create your own fork of the mission, modfy scripts, use scripts in your own mission. But you have make clear that you modified the mission and who made the original one. That would been Engima for the A2 mission, Vormulac and Hyperz for porting and me and Scruffy for continous development. When you use scripts or code you have to credit the author. When it is a function, it is me. When it is a script from /scripts/drn or functions/escape it is 90% Engima.

The Git Repo was the old one when Vormulac still had time to work on the mission with me. We now have our own small repo for Scruffy and me. But you are able to get the missions code by unpacking the mission pbo.

And yes, for generating this huge amount of different mission configurations we use our own mission compiler that can merge code, mission, island config and unit config. It also alters mission.sqm and description.ext for the different sets.

Thanks for the info.

We noticed that in the RHS mod, the crash sites contain a weapons crate full of vanilla weapons.

I traced this to fn_CrashSite.sqf, where createVehicle "Box_NATO_Wpns_F" was being called twice with the same position. Only the second box is being cleared and repopulated with a3e_arr_CrashSiteWeapons.

Would you mind sharing your mission compiler framework? My friend and I were thinking of making some tweaks to the mission, and if we wanted to easily manage and apply these changes to multiple map/mod targets, we would need to roll our own version of this mission generator.

Thanks for the info.

We noticed that in the RHS mod, the crash sites contain a weapons crate full of vanilla weapons.

I traced this to fn_CrashSite.sqf, where createVehicle "Box_NATO_Wpns_F" was being called twice with the same position. Only the second box is being cleared and repopulated with a3e_arr_CrashSiteWeapons.

We actually found a crashsite the first time yesterday and also noticed that problem. It is fixed in next version.

Would you mind sharing your mission compiler framework? My friend and I were thinking of making some tweaks to the mission, and if we wanted to easily manage and apply these changes to multiple map/mod targets, we would need to roll our own version of this mission generator.

Sorry, for now we want to keep the compiler private as we don't have the time to write a manual and fix some bugs still present.

You can quickly change the missions by overwriting the UnitClasses.sqf and files in the Island directory. If you only want to have one branch of modified missions, it should be possible without the need of a compiler. You just replace the unitclasses in every folder.

If you create a nice mission config you can also send them to us and we could incorporate it into the next release.

Do you think for updated version you will now use the vanilla Arma 3 revive system that came with teh latest update? It is very clean, works really well and is actually very cool.

Also here is a cool video for anyone: Escape Podagorsk

Do you think for updated version you will now use the vanilla Arma 3 revive system that came with teh latest update? It is very clean, works really well and is actually very cool.

It's nice for Endgame but would be a very crappy solution for Escape. It uses custom key handling, is strongly tied to the Endgame mode. It is activated after a player is killed and not before (that is bad and would complety kill the escape scripts). It has no animations for the reviver, a lot fo people don't like the spacebar healing and last but not least: The bleedout would be total useless feature for Escape. Also I looked at the scripts of the revive and it is not not much better than the Escape revive (which has matured for quite some time now).

But I plan to incorporate some "tricks" from BIS Revive like the new unconscious animations and maybe I will add additonal "spacebar" healing and quick abortion of the action as options.

How about adding random paratrooper drop. would happen only sometime, transport heli would fly over your known position and drop lets say 6 special mercenary soldiers with appropriate badass uniforms with balaclavas and better gear/weapons and higher skill then the rest of soldiers. Maybe this could be true once you hack the communication center, when you piss off the AI, so they try harder to stop you. But not every mission and not at the same time. Make it random, when you stop at one location for too long or you're going through town or something. Or they could drop at the location of your vehcle to stop you driving away.

How about adding random paratrooper drop. would happen only sometime, transport heli would fly over your known position and drop lets say 6 special mercenary soldiers with appropriate badass uniforms with balaclavas and better gear/weapons and higher skill then the rest of soldiers. Maybe this could be true once you hack the communication center, when you piss off the AI, so they try harder to stop you. But not every mission and not at the same time. Make it random, when you stop at one location for too long or you're going through town or something. Or they could drop at the location of your vehcle to stop you driving away.

That is in the mission since ArmA2 ;)

Is it? :D sorry :D havent played it in A2, but never seen it happen in your A3 version. Do they look mean though with special gear to make them formidable?

Is it? :D sorry :D havent played it in A2, but never seen it happen in your A3 version. Do they look mean though with special gear to make them formidable?

In most versions they are SpecOps/RECON.

If you watch the video i posted in post #55 you at 41:21 you will see a paratrooper drop.

If you watch the video i posted in post #55 you at 41:21 you will see a paratrooper drop.

ah i see, thanx rex :)

Its a really nice mission but I noticed some errors in script that get displayed either at start or when you die.

any plans of integration some of http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?181868-COOP-Escape-Roy features?

(eg: heli evac team, more bases other than radio station, automatic mix addon mode, dynamic installations, multiple evac method options)

There are already some of the features in the 1.7 release. For example the "more different bases" and the "unrevealed markers". Some other stuff from roy doesn't fit in the gameplay we am targeting. For example automatic modloading and usage in the mission

will definitly break some immersion and will cause troubles in MP. That is the reason we released the "porting mission" so everyone can get his addons into the mission in a curated way.

And multiple evac methods are in but not used as the helis fits all terrains. Boats won't.

Its a really nice mission but I noticed some errors in script that get displayed either at start or when you die.

They are already fixed in next relased (will be 1.7.3). Also when you play you should use stable branch without -noscripterrors. I can't garantee that the devbranch is breaking scripts and I can't fix the mission everyday.

They are already fixed in next relased (will be 1.7.3). Also when you play you should use stable branch without -noscripterrors. I can't garantee that the devbranch is breaking scripts and I can't fix the mission everyday.

It is already great to see someone working on this what is awesome as this mission is really nice. We played it today almost all day long.

As we played we didn't use dev branch. Showing script errors I might have still activated so.

Some other things I noticed were:

1: For some reason picking up night vision googles were reported by others not be able to be picked up, same thing for glasses (and probably binoculars havn't seen any?). Mission settings was on TWS and NVs -All

2: Sometimes breakout was not possible at all. Like Spawning at the beach with 2 boats and one APC right next to starting point. Additionally AI shoots at you right from start even so there was no try to breack out.

3: The settings for AI skills didn't seem to effect the efficiency of the AI much..we played in Veteran mode and used Rekrute later on Cadet. Maybe it was just my impression so...but sometimes the AI could shoot insanly well for my taste.

Edited by Kumeda

Some other things I noticed were:

1: For some reason picking up night vision googles were reported by others not be able to be picked up, same thing for glasses (and probably binoculars havn't seen any?). Mission settings was on TWS and NVs -All

2: Sometimes breakout was not possible at all. Like Spawning at the beach with 2 boats and one APC right next to starting point. Additionally AI shoots at you right from start even so there was no try to breack out.

3: The settings for AI skills didn't seem to effect the efficiency of the AI much..we played in Veteran mode and used Rekrute later on Cadet. Maybe it was just my impression so...but sometimes the AI could shoot insanly well for my taste.

1. BIS broke something in 1.42 with server assigned Items, they can be picked up sometimes and sometimes not. I fixed map and compass but looks like nightvision work sporadic. Can't do anything here.

2. Bad luck I guess ;) It is hard but possible to escape a boat and an APC.

3. SetSkill command never really worked in AI. Most setting put the AI below 0.1 but they shoot still to good in MP. As far as I know that is a known bug in the game.

Also:

Frontpage updatet with 1.7.3 update.

Changelog:

Added debugging for startsequence.
Added new RHS 0.3.7 bipods, 1p78 optic and M1911 to ammo depots and random arrays
Added mission file for Capraia (village- and comcenter-markers still missing)
Added a3e_arr_Bipods to all mod versions
Added a3e_arr_Scopes_Sniper to all mod versions (not used yet)
Seperated explosives array in ammo depots, not all or nothing anymore
Added new BIS Marksmen DLC bipods and scopes to ammo depot crates
Added Thirsk and Thirsk Winter
Removed unused function.
Reworked start.
Captivity state is now managed by server via remote exec.
Added alarm (gates opened, player with weapon detected, player escaping).
Added "gate opened" event.
Guards are only alerted, if alarm is set off.
Added some checks and player flags for consistency across network.
Added 3 min idle time at militarytraffic script for enemy vehicles.
Added loudspeaker for alarm.
Added global variables for some prison objects (gate and loudspeakers).
Removed duplicated creation of box at crashsite.
Removed the ammo duplication for revive ragdoll.
Added dedicated side creation in server.
Added "War-torn" param. With this, CSAT and AAF will be enemies to each other.
Increased version number.
Wrong magazines for HK417 in Crashsite Bbox
Fixed new classnames for  Rahim and Zafir mags (762x54 instead of 762x51)

Wow, I didn't think anybody still worked on escape altis. Me and my group of friends have been doing escape roy for a while and having a blast with that, but since he hasn't updated it in a while, (the latest versions have many problems with the guards detecting you inside the prison and firing at you even when you're unarmed), we've been playing version 4.28. I gave a lot of feedback in his thread, and Escape Roy is probably one of my favorite Arma missions, so I'm glad to see you guys working on your own version.

I haven't run a thorough test, but I just ran version 1.7.3 and I've noticed that opening the door when unarmed starts the alarm, but it doesn't seem to alert the guards. They'll just continue doing their patrols, and you can run away easily. They'll still attack you if you enter line of sight, however. I did notice that being in the prison with just the backpack on did trigger the alarm if one of the guards see you. So the script seems to mostly work, but if you fix the guards not being alerted when opening the door while unarmed then it'll be great.

I have a few of questions about this version of escape altis.

First, when enemy is alerted to your position, does that immediately trigger them calling reinforcements, and the subsequent patrolling of that area for you, or is that only triggered after a few seconds, like in the original escape altis and in escape roy? What about when the alarm is set off when you initially escape? I hope it's only triggered after a few seconds, that way if you take out a patrol quickly, you can continue running the mission stealthily.

Second question is that I noticed in the original thread you mentioned that you removed the manual ai settings, but they're clearly still here. When did you add them back and why?

Lastly, this isn't a question about escape altis, but it's a question about mission troubleshooting, and since you seem to be a knowledgeable mission maker, I figure that asking it here would be a good idea. So I have a friend that is trying out mission making, and he made a mission that uses the RHS Escalation mod. What's strange, however, is that when I run the mission on a dedicated server, the mission won't load, and the server console says that I can't play the mission because I'm missing an file from the RHS mod. I know that's impossible because I can see the file that the server says I'm missing in the RHS folder, and the mod is enabled on both the server and the client. We couldn't figure out why it was happening, especially since I could load other missions using RHS units on the server just fine. I eventually tried putting CBA on the server, and that made the mission work. That doesn't make any sense to me. I know RHS doesn't use CBA because we run missions with RHS units without CBA just fine. So what could possibly cause this? Does it have anything to do with him creating the mission with CBA enabled?

Wow, I didn't think anybody still worked on escape altis. Me and my group of friends have been doing escape roy for a while and having a blast with that, but since he hasn't updated it in a while, (the latest versions have many problems with the guards detecting you inside the prison and firing at you even when you're unarmed), we've been playing version 4.28. I gave a lot of feedback in his thread, and Escape Roy is probably one of my favorite Arma missions, so I'm glad to see you guys working on your own version.

I haven't run a thorough test, but I just ran version 1.7.3 and I've noticed that opening the door when unarmed starts the alarm, but it doesn't seem to alert the guards. They'll just continue doing their patrols, and you can run away easily. They'll still attack you if you enter line of sight, however. I did notice that being in the prison with just the backpack on did trigger the alarm if one of the guards see you. So the script seems to mostly work, but if you fix the guards not being alerted when opening the door while unarmed then it'll be great.

I can't do anything here. That is all up to BIS to fix this. The alerting of the guards and the alarm is directly linked (same function). It is triggered, when players are spotted with gear, someone is more than 10m away from the prisoncenter or the door was opened. The only difference is, that when you were spotted, the group already has knowledge about the players group and then every player is revealed seperate. When the gate is opened, all players and the group gets revealed by script but no guard saw anybody. This doesn't seem to work properly int he engine. The only way to couter that would be to make every guard give a "lookAt" command once the alarm goe soff, but that would be unrealistic and to hard.

First, when enemy is alerted to your position, does that immediately trigger them calling reinforcements, and the subsequent patrolling of that area for you, or is that only triggered after a few seconds, like in the original escape altis and in escape roy? What about when the alarm is set off when you initially escape? I hope it's only triggered after a few seconds, that way if you take out a patrol quickly, you can continue running the mission stealthily.

This works the same as before. Reinforcement is called, when a guard is able to make a call for reinforcement. That normally takes about 5-15 sec. An enemy only calls for reinforcement, when he has some knowledge about a player. It is perfectly possible to take out all the guards (with the alarm going off) before they can make the call for other patrols.

Second question is that I noticed in the original thread you mentioned that you removed the manual ai settings, but they're clearly still here. When did you add them back and why?

The manual settings are one were you could set every skill like precision, command, spotting seperatly. But this was/is broken in the engine since a few updates. The whole AI skill and spotting stuff is pretty bugged in the game.

Lastly, this isn't a question about escape altis, but it's a question about mission troubleshooting, and since you seem to be a knowledgeable mission maker, I figure that asking it here would be a good idea. So I have a friend that is trying out mission making, and he made a mission that uses the RHS Escalation mod. What's strange, however, is that when I run the mission on a dedicated server, the mission won't load, and the server console says that I can't play the mission because I'm missing an file from the RHS mod. I know that's impossible because I can see the file that the server says I'm missing in the RHS folder, and the mod is enabled on both the server and the client. We couldn't figure out why it was happening, especially since I could load other missions using RHS units on the server just fine. I eventually tried putting CBA on the server, and that made the mission work. That doesn't make any sense to me. I know RHS doesn't use CBA because we run missions with RHS units without CBA just fine. So what could possibly cause this? Does it have anything to do with him creating the mission with CBA enabled?

I suspect either a missing/faulty -mods param or the mission.sqm contains other or depreciated addons that are not on your server.

if only every encounter on Escape Altis would be this eazy :)

Edited by main_cz

Tried opening up a few RHS-LOP missions, but only the russians spawned. Not a single LOP unit or any greenFOR, for that matter, unit on the map.

Hi Sodien

Thanks for reporting, as we don't use LOP those versions are rarely tested by me. I found a trailing comma in the unitclasses config for the LOP version used on Isla Duala and Porto. All other islands should work, they did for me right now. I also found another small problem with a changed check for the NoNightvision parameter in all LOP versions, that one is fixed too.

So please wait for the next version, coming soonâ„¢. It will also include a port for Capraia that I just finished, but we didn't test it yet.

And thanks to everyone else posting stories and videos, we're glad you have as much fun with the mission as we do.

Ok, thanks for the answer.

Suggestion, have the "No NV/TWS" parameter allow NV googles. I think that during certain conditions, the game is rather pointless without the ability to use NV googles, however I think TWS is to effective for infantry combat and think it puts to much slack on the tension.

Suggestion, have the "No NV/TWS" parameter allow NV googles. I think that during certain conditions, the game is rather pointless without the ability to use NV googles, however I think TWS is to effective for infantry combat and think it puts to much slack on the tension.

Or rather just to differentiate this option. Either have no NVGs or no TWSs. But disabling both is kind of hard on the players. TWSs are a disgrace - in the way the game allows you to see every unit in sight with TWS. But NVGs are something different. They should be handled differently. Additionally it's something different if you have NVGs and if you're using a scope with NV-mode. That should be considered. Every time I download a mission, I have to edit the mission files to allow units to have NVGs but equally remove NV- or TWS-scopes from the crates. That's kind of annoying. An either-or-option isn't the best way in this regard, as the problem is more than just binary.

I can't comment on the other missions. But I've been playing a lot of Escape Altis recently with some new recruits and we have been finding the maps that we pick up have been randomly despawning. We haven't been dropping them just randomly they will disappear after a while. GPS are fine, they stay in your inventory but maps disappear.