Przemek_kondor

OFP in internet browser

Hi,

Years after OFP release modern internet browsers have become capable of running such game.

Thanks to HTML5 (WebGL, HTML5 Sound etc.) and asm.js (the game engine code was ported to JavaScript, addons use JSON files)

I was able to port and run most of original OFP demo by internet browser (tested so far on Firefox, Chrome and Opera on Windows & Android).

Note:

There are still missing parts like campaign or video/sound options.

Multiplayer server browser is working and uses new master server provided by Poweruser.

Check it out: Operation HTML5Point

Br,

Przemek_kondor

• Like 2

This is simply brilliant. Kudos!

:<

Error: WGLE.Renderer: Could not initialise WebGL http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WebGL#Support

What browser do you use?

AFAIK IE doesn't support WebGL yet but other major ones do / should. You can check whether your browser support WebGL on https://get.webgl.org/ If that page says that it's working then I must look into my code.

Looks quite impressive :)

Couple of quick points:

- doesnt seem to work without cookies

- is there a way to skip the initial intro/loading screen

;2910357']Looks quite impressive :)

Couple of quick points:

- doesnt seem to work without cookies

- is there a way to skip the initial intro/loading screen

Thanks for reporting the cookie bug.

To disable / skip intro add nosplash=true param' date=' i.e. [url']http://kondor.armagame.pl?nosplash=true[/url] - however the intro scene will wait until island json is loaded (which is quite large - I must add some caching for it)

Interesting project but it won't load any missions due to missing addons.

Interesting project but it won't load any missions due to missing addons.

Could be another elaborate April first joke.

Is this real? Cant play. April fools?

Nonetheless, still impressive.

Is this real? Cant play. April fools?

Nonetheless, still impressive.

Of course it's real! D'uh!

for sure!

At first I thought this must be a joke, but after snooping into your code, I'm starting to think this is for real.

I can see that you've got the beginnings of a full on game engine going here (and not a library you just downloaded from the net; from what I can tell you created this), which goes beyond what would be required just to pull this off as a gag. But I'm confused why you say MP is working, because I definitely don't see the code that would be required to actually make this playable (maybe that part is the April Fools part?).

I hope you do continue working on it, since you seem to know what you're doing. This would be a massive effort though and I'm wondering about the feasibility of a game with the scale of OFP in a web browser. That's a lot of JSON data.

At least a SP implementation with a small part of a cut-off island would be great. One mission is enough. At least it'll feel modern :D

I'm interested in seeing how this game engine will handle the large terrains and AI routines and path finding from OFP. Despite it's age and dated looks, OFP is actually an extremely demanding game, even if the reason for this is mostly an engine which calculates too much stuff and isn't designed for newer machines.

Sorry for being silenth 1.5 month.

As most of you have noticed the port of OFP was an April Fool.

However it is built on top of W.I.P. (or currently rather Not Much In Progress) WGLW (codename) data model engine and its own simple WebGL rendering engine (codename WGLE - should be replaced with more mature engine like three.js).

At first I wanted to look how Arma/OFP's islands (at least terrain with texture) would work on it. First I started with Arma3 Limnos but due to have technical limits (WebGL max buffer size - can be fixed with extensions) I switched to much smaller Desert Island. Once I successfully loaded (.wrp -> .xyz -> .json) it, the OFP's intro scene idea came to my mind.

If anyone want to fork/modify, contribute, or just have a look then you can grab the source code at:

https://gitorious.org/webgl-world-engine (newest version in OfpMpBrowser branch) (I'll move it to, probably github, since gitourius will be shut down and now it's read only)

Due to family, work, other hobbies and loosing enthusiasm I don't have plan to work too much on it.

But if I ever work on further on Operation HTML5Point then it would be havily restricted to tank and/or airplances only (w/o infranty which would be enormous effort on its own).

Sorry for dissapointing some of you.

Br,

Przemek_kondor

Anyone seen this ? Pretty amazing what kind of water/ocean/wave simulation can already be had in HTML5. Porting OFP over is an attractive thought but it's not something I would know to do. It's a bit like asking for an unofficial multi-core patch ... ;p

• Like 1