Sign in to follow this  
jassida

Is it currently possible to host from within the game?

Hi.

I've been using Evolve but I hate being at its mercy and I'd much rather my friends could find my "server" on the steam browser on the steam server list and favourite it but it just won't show up (and I can't get it to work at all any other way including join game, direct ip or in game server browser).

I've set my ARMA 3 pc up with a static router ip.

I've opened every port ever mentioned on the internet for ARMA3 and Steam and checked they are open.

I've run my ARMA 3 pc in the DMZ.

I've tried UPnP on and off.

I've turned the router firewall off.

I've turned Windows 8.1 firewall off.

I've set Steam to run as admin.

Have I missed something? Should I try a different router?

Thanks a lot.

Are you connected to the internet directly or is there an modem between your pc and the web?

When using a modem/router you need to forward the ports in question to your server (if upnp doesn't work).

Also, sometimes it can take a while before the server shows up in the list. Have you tried to have someone use the remote option/buttton here you typ in the ipdadress and port?

I believe the "Host New Session" doesn't work the way it used to anymore, due to the fall of Gamespy, so your only options would be Evolve or TADST.

Thanks. I'm direct to a router with all steps tried above. Nothing works.

I thought you had to run a dedicated server on a windows server 2008 and above machine.

The only pc I could possibly use is my partner's laptop but this is only a core 2 duo 2.26ghz.

Should I just forget about it and use evolve?

TADST would be the best alternative on your machine (so you can run the server on your machine).

Ok thanks a lot.last question I hope...will that server show up in Steam browser if correctly configured?

If not I will just stick to Evolve I think.

Yes. It's the same as a 'real' dedicated server (uses the same .exe)

I'll have to test this. It would be really crap if you can't host a small internet/LAN game directly from the server menu like we used to.

BIS have never been good with their network code. (I remember trying to play OperationFlashoint:CWC on LAN at my old office but it never worked)

Well I set up a server with TADST and that doesn't work either.

My pc is in a DMZ too...

Do you have a public ip with your ISP? I am on a wireless network with my ISP so I don't have a public ip address. I have to use Hamachi to host a game.

Well I set up a server with TADST and that doesn't work either.

My pc is in a DMZ too...

Then it's necessary to enable portforwarding. Normally when your in a DMZ the only ports available, are the ones your allow in the firewall rules.

Is it possible for others to connect to your ip directly (through remote option in the lowerright corner in the mp section)?

When this doesnt work, then the ports are not open. What type of modem/router do you use?

Edited by ozzbik

Thanks for your help again guys.

Yes I have a public ip. Steam query sees my server fine, both when hosting dedicated and from in game. Does this ip need to be static as well?

My router is a Netgear 2640r.

I have forwarded the ports and I'm in the DMZ. I did turn the router firewall off so maybe turning that on will help .

Port forward confirms all ports accessible.

Thanks again.

When forwarding ports it's best you use static ip-adresses. Otherwise you'll have to change the forwarding rules everytime you get a new ip (if you have multiple machines/phones/tablet active).

Steam can be reaaaaaally slow updating the serverlist, but it should be working with direct connections.

Did you try direct connection to the server allready on ip bases?

Thanks.

My internal ip is static but my external ip isn't. I'm pretty sure this doesn't matter though as long as I'm giving people the current IP address to direct join.

I have tried direct join. It doesn't work through steam or the game.

However I have always just tried using the external ip and not adding the port as I assumed the port box did that bit.

Should I be entering external ip: port?

No, it should only be ip adress (your wan address). Port is already filled in correctly.

Which ports have you forwarded btw. Is the router a d-link (can't seem to find it at netgear)?

Perhaps a stupid question, but do you use a firewall on your machine?

Oops sorry was at work and trying to remember! It's a dlink yes. Last one was netgear.

I've got no firewall on win 8.1 arma box

I've tried fw on router on and off

I've tried upnp on and off

I have a static internal ip for the arma box

All ports test open with port forward

I've forwarded every possible port to my arma box

I've tried dmz for the arma box

Steam api/query (whatever it is) shows the server but there is no way to join it via the Internet

One thing that might be confusing things is that after spending ages with a friend testing over the internet I gave up and borrowed my dad's pc to test.

Obviously this means I'm testing from within my lan but trying to connect through the Internet.

Could this cause a problem? It shows up on the lan of course.

Could you try the following:

Take the machine out of DMZ (lan) and remove the port forwarding. Reboot modem/router

Configure portforwarding:

Private IP : Static ip of machine 

Protocol Type : UDP 

Public Start Port :  2303

Public End Port : 2305

Connection : Your connection id

click Apply (and maybe reboot the modem/router)

You can use d-link open port check to verify it's open.

Use arma3 remote option to connect to your server.

Could you try the following:

Take the machine out of DMZ (lan) and remove the port forwarding. Reboot modem/router

Configure portforwarding:

Private IP : Static ip of machine 

Protocol Type : UDP 

Public Start Port :  2303

Public End Port : 2305

Connection : Your connection id

click Apply (and maybe reboot the modem/router)

You can use d-link open port check to verify it's open.

Use arma3 remote option to connect to your server.

Thanks but why not 2302 and what is connection id?

Sorry. Indeed 2302 aswell :p

I believe the connection id is the last dropdown box of this selection screen?

Thanks but still no luck.

I cannot ping my wan ip so I think incoming connections might still be blocked.

So, I'm going to open up all the remote access protocols possible and see if that helps.

Someone seems to have been in a similar situation to me, unable to set up a javav server on the same router.

I have a newer router to try now too.

If you cannot ping your WAN IP it's most likely the routers firewall blocking ICMP traffic.

If you cannot ping your WAN IP it's most likely the routers firewall blocking ICMP traffic.

Thanks.

I can ping the wan ip and can RDP I to my pc but it's still impossible to see or direct join my server.

I've tried the other router but it's not working either (but it's a 2680r and my original one is a 2640r so there could be an inherent d-link issue I guess).

Well I thought I had some success but still not working.

I reset the router and set it all up again then closed down every single program that I thought could be interfering.

It showed up when I selected remote for about 5 seconds then disappeared never to be seen again.

I've tried doing the same thig again and it doesn't ever show up any more

Does your arma3 serverlog report anything? Check you firewall logs aswell.