cifordayzserver

Community Upgrade Project - CUP_Terrains

Editing anything on the terrains other than Sahrani is something that will take trickery for now, I will discuss it with NeoArmageddeon.

In the meantime, I've fixed a few of the glaring issues, but not all of them.

I was able to find a version of the Panelaks that will work as a replacement.

Imgur Album with some teaser pics: http://imgur.com/a/8tS5Z

http://i.imgur.com/zZue67Zl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/kBX7kHFl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/XnmoUB7l.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/LlqKB6ul.jpg

This looks absolutely fantastic! Amazing work mate.

Very nice work!

Editing anything on the terrains other than Sahrani is something that will take trickery for now, I will discuss it with NeoArmageddeon.

In the meantime, I've fixed a few of the glaring issues, but not all of them.

I was able to find a version of the Panelaks that will work as a replacement.

Imgur Album with some teaser pics: http://imgur.com/a/8tS5Z

http://i.imgur.com/zZue67Zl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/kBX7kHFl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/XnmoUB7l.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/LlqKB6ul.jpg

The ponds look great :cool:

Will be added the "Desert" map from Operation Arrowhead?

First off thanks so much for working on CUP Terrains. Really Really thankful for you all pushing along on this. I have a questions regarding Zargabad. Its one of my groups favorite maps and we did ops on it a ton when we were running "Arma 3 Map Pack - A3MP". It ran well even when there was a lot going on mission wise. Then we switched over to AllinArma Terrain Pack which has been even better with the exception of Zargabad. My group suffers performance issues on that map and has consistently since we switched to AiA Terrain Pack.

So really my questions was just on performance for the maps in general / Zargabad specifically ? Should we expect much difference in performance with the CUP terrains over the AiA terrains, or perhaps because of things like ponds and the new features you all have addressed, will the maps be more taxing than AiA terrains.

AiA terrains work as smooth as butter for us with the exception of (Chenarus Summer - Occasionally) and (Zargabad - Consistently) for some reason. Not sure why.

Eitherway thanks so much REALLY looking forward to it

Zargabad was always a dog with Ai in the main town - even on A2....

Does the ponds still have that wierd color thing when you look at them from a distance (aka Brown turn green and such)

They look a little weird at distance, but it's not dramatic. Ponds, for the record, look weird from the air in real life. I don't think the water is finished either. I wouldn't be surprised if it gets worked on a bit more before getting pushed to stable.

The ponds look great :cool:

Will be added the "Desert" map from Operation Arrowhead?

Yes! Not sure why it wasn't there/loaded, but it's in there too.

First off thanks so much for working on CUP Terrains. Really Really thankful for you all pushing along on this. I have a questions regarding Zargabad. Its one of my groups favorite maps and we did ops on it a ton when we were running "Arma 3 Map Pack - A3MP". It ran well even when there was a lot going on mission wise. Then we switched over to AllinArma Terrain Pack which has been even better with the exception of Zargabad. My group suffers performance issues on that map and has consistently since we switched to AiA Terrain Pack.

So really my questions was just on performance for the maps in general / Zargabad specifically ? Should we expect much difference in performance with the CUP terrains over the AiA terrains, or perhaps because of things like ponds and the new features you all have addressed, will the maps be more taxing than AiA terrains.

AiA terrains work as smooth as butter for us with the exception of (Chenarus Summer - Occasionally) and (Zargabad - Consistently) for some reason. Not sure why.

Eitherway thanks so much REALLY looking forward to it

This is a copy/paste of AiA, so, it will be the same. I will check it out, and if I see anything obvious I will fix it, but I'm pretty focused on just getting a good starting base done and released so it's out there, and we can collect bug reports, and gauge what terrains are getting the most DL's/use so we can triage work moving forward.

I know you guys doesn't have a set date for release yet. I hope to see the first public version in a month or so :-D Really can't wait for this and all the other stuff you guys are working on. Amazing work guys,i'm so happy and grateful for all the awesome stuff you guys are working on and are doing for the community.

And just a quick question since i have no clue about modding and map making etc. : Do anyone know if it is possible to make overgrown vegetation in Chernarus,kinda like the vegetation around cities on the Esseker terrain? I don't expect you guys to do it,i'm just generally curious if that's something that is possible? I just think it would be something that would fit the map and would be cool to have a overgrown vegetation version of chernarus as well,specially on some missions and game modes. And again thank you all for all the hard work you guys put in to this/these projects.

This is a copy/paste of AiA, so, it will be the same. I will check it out, and if I see anything obvious I will fix it, but I'm pretty focused on just getting a good starting base done and released so it's out there, and we can collect bug reports, and gauge what terrains are getting the most DL's/use so we can triage work moving forward.

No worries, again appreciate the work. This looks great and the attention to detail the CUP addons seem to be taking on is amazing. Keep up the good work !

I'm waiting with as much anticipation as a Virgin on Prom night.

I can't wait. Everything so far looks great.

With this mod, will you make Chernarus and Chernarus-like maps have less dark lighting and clouds from the AIA version? Sometimes I just want a normal overcast day on Chernarus but the clouds are just way too dark for that. And the lighting (even on sunny days) seems just a bit too dim.

Also, will you add terrain trivia to the loading screens? Would be cool

Will all doors for buildings be opened on the entire map, like with All in ArmA? Or have you guys used magic to fix it?

Will all doors for buildings be opened on the entire map, like with All in ArmA? Or have you guys used magic to fix it?

That would be fixed to what I know. They are using Jbad Buildings which are the A2 Models brought up the A3 with some improvements. So almost all buildings should be enter able.

From what I can see some of the A2 Chernarus buildings are still not enterable...like on that picture of Utes on the FB page...The rest seems enterable tho ^^

I do believe I read somewhere that someone donated opened Chernarus-like buildings to CUP and that those will be implemented later on, is this correct?

Kind regards,

Sanchez

I know you guys doesn't have a set date for release yet. I hope to see the first public version in a month or so :-D Really can't wait for this and all the other stuff you guys are working on. Amazing work guys,i'm so happy and grateful for all the awesome stuff you guys are working on and are doing for the community.

And just a quick question since i have no clue about modding and map making etc. : Do anyone know if it is possible to make overgrown vegetation in Chernarus,kinda like the vegetation around cities on the Esseker terrain? I don't expect you guys to do it,i'm just generally curious if that's something that is possible? I just think it would be something that would fit the map and would be cool to have a overgrown vegetation version of chernarus as well,specially on some missions and game modes. And again thank you all for all the hard work you guys put in to this/these projects.

That is a totally accomplish-able goal, but honestly, it would run like crap. Chernarus is already laggy in cities, if you built the vegetation out a lot more, it would likely kill performance in the woods as well. I'm fairly sure you could do this with NeoArmagedeon's mapbuilder tool.

With this mod, will you make Chernarus and Chernarus-like maps have less dark lighting and clouds from the AIA version? Sometimes I just want a normal overcast day on Chernarus but the clouds are just way too dark for that. And the lighting (even on sunny days) seems just a bit too dim.

Also, will you add terrain trivia to the loading screens? Would be cool

Fabiano Chavez did the lighting/weather tweaks for AiA, and will continue work in CUP, there are other lighting addons out there that can modify how it looks, that are a bit out of scope for our project.

The terrains are JUST terrains, I don't really plan on adding any level of customization, or scripting to change their default behavior, that is something that mission makers should do. The doors are open by default on all buildings so that AI can see in/out of them. If a mission maker wants to have them all closed, or random, that's something that can be done within his mission, but if we have functionality that conflicts, those same 3 possibilities are no longer available.

---------- Post added at 00:45 ---------- Previous post was at 00:12 ----------

That would be fixed to what I know. They are using Jbad Buildings which are the A2 Models brought up the A3 with some improvements. So almost all buildings should be enter able.

So, what phronk was talking about is the fact that all the objects with doors, are opened by default in AiA, which is on purpose and will not be changed.

We are literally NO WHERE NEAR every building being opened, even on Sahrani, where almost 2-3 years of focus has gone on the SMD project. So, to put it in a bit more realistic perspective, I'm going to add somewhere between 10-30 newly enter-able structures, there are many others that are just improved in some ways like shattering glass, and added door functionality. Then, there are buildings that have variants, like the aircraft hangars, or the air control towers... M1lkm8n has already done the Operation Arrowhead versions of those, I will take those as a base, and retexture them with the A2 textures, and make the variant models for use on other terrains.

So, initial release, will have a few more buildings than AiA, the first update will have a fair amount more, but spread across different maps, the next update should include the variants, so all the terrains that have a variant of a building we've done, have the enter-able version.

Once those are done, I can start working on some of the buildings that were donated, or finish off some of the one's I started.

For example, last night M1lkm8n randomly asked me for the repair center building, which I had opened, and within a few minutes, the portions I wasn't happy with, were fixed, and he was getting to work on making custom window textures/rvmats for it.

Here is a peak:

http://puu.sh/j0KBq/82ade2b82d.jpg (247 kB)

From what I can see some of the A2 Chernarus buildings are still not enterable...like on that picture of Utes on the FB page...The rest seems enterable tho ^^

I do believe I read somewhere that someone donated opened Chernarus-like buildings to CUP and that those will be implemented later on, is this correct?

Kind regards,

Sanchez

Yeah, LOTS of A1 and A2 buildings are still not enter-able.

About the Chernarus houses, I'm not sure how "done" they are, so I will have to go through them. But I do have the source and intend on getting them in game if possible (pretty sure they were fairly complete).

So the enter able buildings version on chernarus (arma2) some people here are talking about. Is that the buildings from DayZero? Cause that's pretty much the only Arma 2 chernarus version i know of (that comes to mind) where MOST buildings are enter able. Or are you guys working on a different version of them (the buildings) from scratch? I know the DayZero dev(s) did a excellent work on the buildings over the last years.

---------- Post added at 22:37 ---------- Previous post was at 21:48 ----------

That is a totally accomplish-able goal, but honestly, it would run like crap. Chernarus is already laggy in cities, if you built the vegetation out a lot more, it would likely kill performance in the woods as well. I'm fairly sure you could do this with NeoArmagedeon's mapbuilder tool.

Ok thanks. Though I (we) usually have pretty good performance on chernarus with our crew,specially when we hosting our own missions on it on our own server. But I have noticed a lot of problems on public servers specially on something like Wasteland etc. With problems like trees falling over when shot at and servers taking a virtual dump for unknown reasons. Most likely too many slots with not enough server performance (but that's just speculation). And of course if people are using AI's and assign way to many groups of ai (or placing too many ai's in one place/town) without having a proper cleanup script or use a end command the server will be having some issues. Luckily we have a few great people in our crew that knows their stuff and sort out all our missions. And we have very rarely lag problems in cities,even under heavy firefights.

But Yeah awesome all i wanted to know if that's something that is possible. Thank you so much CiforDayZServer I will have the idea in my back of my head for a bit,and wait for CUP_Terrains are released and see what new resources vegetation buildings etc. the new Official Arma 3 Terrain brings us. And see what we have to work with by then, there is so much exciting news coming to arma 3 in the future. And CUP are the nr.1 features i'm looking forward to, your weapon pack,vehicles,uniforms, Cup_Terrain, Jalalabad. Have you guys decided if Arma2 vegetation reconfigured will be included in CUP_Terrains. Pheeew got a bit excited there... Once again Great work guys,i can't thank you enough for what you are doing for the Arma 3 community. Much Love and Much respect too you all

I've got a question about the ponds, while they do seem to work fine on your video, there was the long standing bug where applying any amount of fog would cause the pond to turn completely black and sparkle with red and blue dots.

As I haven't seen you trying to put down fog in the video, has this issue been resolved as well? My tests with the A3 pond objects (the test ones) seem to indicate the shader issue with the fog is still present.

I didn't get it about SMD. And don't misunderstnad me but it's the best work in ArmA3 currently. Will it be included in CUP or it will just be compatible with it?

Is there still people wanting Vanilla old Sahrani when SMD Sahrani A3 is so far superior in many ways ?

The thing for SMD Sahrani is it was developed in another namespace, so including it as is requires including a bunch of duplicate buildings and objects.

It will slowly transform to being near identical to smd Sahrani.

The thing for SMD Sahrani is it was developed in another namespace, so including it as is requires including a bunch of duplicate buildings and objects.

It will slowly transform to being near identical to smd Sahrani.

Love ya!

A request has been made within the team to discuss how the terrains are released. In the end, I will make the decision, but thought it would be good to gauge opinion.

http://strawpoll.me/4952683

Vote away, I reserve the right to totally ignore the results.

IMHO CUP, certainly the terrains, is bound to become a de-facto community standard. I don't think the potential confusion (missing/mismatched addons) and additional work required to maintain separate packages is really warranted by what will ultimately be fairly insignificant savings on download size (compared to the inevitable size of the core files required to run even one terrain). It's liberating for server-ops and mission makers to know that if you've got CUP you can run X/Y/Z.

I think the only thing that's functionally important to keep separate is the @CUP_Terrains_AiA shim.