cifordayzserver

Community Upgrade Project - CUP_Terrains

Is there going to be LITE version for servers? That'd be nice. Thanks.

So on the main post I read that Jbad buildings will be integrated into CUP terrains. Now recently there's been some really nice maps coming out that use JBAD buildings (as far as I can tell, those buildings are improved versions of the A2 ones, similar to how SMD Sahrani improved A1 buildings by making them enterable/retexture, etc.)

These maps that are coming out depend on JBAD buildings, which is a solid 1gb+, something my community wouldn't be too pleased about adding into the modpack next to CUP_terrains. Is it safe to say that maps that depend on JBAD buildings will work with just CUP? As you're integrating the buildings anyway? And if so, will JBAD buildings become obsolete?

Kind regards,

Sanchez

Is there going to be LITE version for servers? That'd be nice. Thanks.

No plans for a lite version, providing lower quality textures is sort of counter intuitive to the nature of the project.

So on the main post I read that Jbad buildings will be integrated into CUP terrains. Now recently there's been some really nice maps coming out that use JBAD buildings (as far as I can tell, those buildings are improved versions of the A2 ones, similar to how SMD Sahrani improved A1 buildings by making them enterable/retexture, etc.)

These maps that are coming out depend on JBAD buildings, which is a solid 1gb+, something my community wouldn't be too pleased about adding into the modpack next to CUP_terrains. Is it safe to say that maps that depend on JBAD buildings will work with just CUP? As you're integrating the buildings anyway? And if so, will JBAD buildings become obsolete?

Kind regards,

Sanchez

I haven't really discussed it much with M1lkm8n yet.

When it comes to terrains, you can't have either or. A terrain built for jbad objects will need the jbad pbos, even though the buildings will be the same.

I don't see that changing. Terrain makers can fairly quickly change their dependencies and how the objects are pathed though. We will likely publish a name mapping script for the conversion.

I haven't really discussed it much with M1lkm8n yet.

When it comes to terrains, you can't have either or. A terrain built for jbad objects will need the jbad pbos, even though the buildings will be the same.

I don't see that changing. Terrain makers can fairly quickly change their dependencies and how the objects are pathed though. We will likely publish a name mapping script for the conversion.

I'm not quite familiar with how that works with buildings, but if it does like with units, weapons etc. too, it should be possible to write a "dummy config" with all the JBAD-Buildings classnames inheriting from their equivalent vanilla counterparts (which of course should use the JBAD resources) or - what is possibly less work if the JBAD buildings already have all ressources configured which I guess they have - just let the vanilla buildings inheritate from the JBAD buildings and delete all their properties so they don't overwrite it again. Something like this:

class vanillaBuilding1 {
   property1 = upgradedJbadResource1;
   property2 = upgradedJbadResource2;
}

class JbadBuilding1 : vanillaBuilding1 {
}

or the other way around:

class JbadBuilding1 {
}

class vanillaBuilding1 : jbadBuilding1 {
}

If the JBAD pbos are splitted into config pbos and resource-Pbos, you could even just copy the config pbos from JBAD and add them to CUP - depending on how the paths to the resources are configured, you may only need to adjust those with a quick "search and replace".

This way you would have covered all vanilla classnames and all JBAD classnames - maps that used JBAD Buildings standalone will work with CUP and maps that use the vanilla buildings will have the upgraded JBAD buildings.

Edited by TheConen

yeah, no that doesn't work for objects called from the .wrp file. IE anything on a terrain. The only way to change which object is being called by a terrain, is to provide a replacement model with the same name and config'd accordingly, or to change the called name in the .wrp

Even for example if we config'd "Land_budova" to call the model "Jbad_Budova" that change will only register on budova's that are called in the editor as vehicles, not land_ classed one's called by the .wrp.

Other painful shortfalls are the in-ability to use hidden selections for land_ classed models. So, the dumpsters for example, instead of having 1 model and 4 textures, you have to have 4 models with 4 textures.

I'm not quite familiar with how that works with buildings, but if it does like with units, weapons etc. too, it should be possible to write a "dummy config" with all the JBAD-Buildings classnames inheriting from their equivalent vanilla counterparts (which of course should use the JBAD resources) or - what is possibly less work if the JBAD buildings already have all ressources configured which I guess they have - just let the vanilla buildings inheritate from the JBAD buildings and delete all their properties so they don't overwrite it again. Something like this:

class vanillaBuilding1 {
}

class JbadBuilding1 : vanillaBuilding1 {
}

or the other way around:

class JbadBuilding1 {
}

class vanillaBuilding1 : jbadBuilding1 {
}

If the JBAD pbos are splitted into config pbos and resource-Pbos, you could even just copy the config pbos from JBAD and add them to CUP - depending on how the paths to the resources are configured, you may only need to adjust those with a quick "search and replace".

This way you would have covered all vanilla classnames and all JBAD classnames - maps that used JBAD Buildings standalone will work with CUP and maps that use the vanilla buildings will have the upgraded JBAD buildings.

It's not about classnames in terms of terrain, but about filepaths. Simply ca\structures\mil\somebuilding is different from jbad_structures\mil\somebuilding. Integration of jbad building will be replacing of old model in ca\structures\mil\somebuilding with new one, that means those terrains who depends on jbad_structures\mil\somebuilding will not work with this one.... but still, it's not hard for creator of island to change the paths to model.

Hello guys, first of all excellent work!

Two question, forgive my ignorance if they have been answered:

1) Is there currently an ongoing effort to "open up" ie add interiors to the A2 houses that are lacking them?

2) Have you considered to improve the look of A2 trees from further away. Compared to Arma 3 they look almost as good close by, but 100 or so meters away they switch to a hideous LOD. Could that ugly LOD be tweaked to load further away, considering in the advances in GPU power since the days of Arma 2? Arma 3 trees looks much better from afar.

Sorry if the questions are stupid. Again, thank you for your time.

Wow seriously good work guys. Great to see it coming along!!

Will CUP Terrains feature EvroMalarkey's ASCZ A2 Map Config fixes and ASCZ A2 Zeus Config fixes? It would be great if all those config fixes would be standard with CUP Terrains rather than having to get extra mods for Arma 2 map fixes.

Hello guys, first of all excellent work!

Two question, forgive my ignorance if they have been answered:

1) Is there currently an ongoing effort to "open up" ie add interiors to the A2 houses that are lacking them?

2) Have you considered to improve the look of A2 trees from further away. Compared to Arma 3 they look almost as good close by, but 100 or so meters away they switch to a hideous LOD. Could that ugly LOD be tweaked to load further away, considering in the advances in GPU power since the days of Arma 2? Arma 3 trees looks much better from afar.

Sorry if the questions are stupid. Again, thank you for your time.

1. Yes, Once we have a working environment, I'm going to integrate as many of the jbad buildings as possible, and then do tutorials for opening up buildings, and continue working on that myself as well.

2. Yes, The "popping" of ALL objects will be addressed. There is basically nothing in all of Arma that bothers me more than the shitty lod shifting. So, that will certainly be addressed.

Will CUP Terrains feature EvroMalarkey's ASCZ A2 Map Config fixes and ASCZ A2 Zeus Config fixes? It would be great if all those config fixes would be standard with CUP Terrains rather than having to get extra mods for Arma 2 map fixes.

I'm going to do my best to integrate all of Evro's fixes.

Apologies for no release yet, I was away this weekend. I spent some time on Thursday on it, but just haven't been able to get all the way through yet.

Don't apologize, making stuff like this takes time!

I guess the Jbad buildings mostly focus on the Takistan buildings, right? I sure hope someone will open up the Arma 2 Chernarus houses someday, as I make heavy use of them in my map. I recall there was a thread from some guy who had opened up a lot of Arma 2 buildings, but I don't know what happened to him. The thread: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?182075-wip-buildings-of-russian-village

I can't wait to see this come out. I love the old Arma 2 maps, and having the vegetation being fixed is a big thing, kudos to ThreeDots for that. I'm wondering though, it seems like CiforDayZServer is doing all the work now, I thought you guys were a team? Is there nothing they can do to help finish this up or is it all up to him?

I recall there was a thread from some guy who had opened up a lot of Arma 2 buildings, but I don't know what happened to him. The thread: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?182075-wip-buildings-of-russian-village

He donated his work to CUP; http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?169933-Community-Upgrade-Project&p=2827441&viewfull=1#post2827441 - so I expect when time permits this and more will be integrated.

Don't apologize, making stuff like this takes time!

I guess the Jbad buildings mostly focus on the Takistan buildings, right? I sure hope someone will open up the Arma 2 Chernarus houses someday, as I make heavy use of them in my map. I recall there was a thread from some guy who had opened up a lot of Arma 2 buildings, but I don't know what happened to him. The thread: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?182075-wip-buildings-of-russian-village

The jbad buildings are mainly for Takistan, but many can be retextured to be used on other terrains. All the barracks, the firestation, and the mikitary house and atc all have oa variants.

I can't wait to see this come out. I love the old Arma 2 maps, and having the vegetation being fixed is a big thing, kudos to ThreeDots for that. I'm wondering though, it seems like CiforDayZServer is doing all the work now, I thought you guys were a team? Is there nothing they can do to help finish this up or is it all up to him?

Its hard to coordinate putting the repo together. Threedots is chomping at the bit to do more, so he's started his own branch that we can merge back in once I have a working base established. I want to have a fairly clear version history.

He donated his work to CUP; http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?169933-Community-Upgrade-Project&p=2827441&viewfull=1#post2827441 - so I expect when time permits this and more will be integrated.

I do have the source, they use some models for the interior that need to be stripped out, which in some cases they might need more work.

I also have some models opened already, mostly all the sheds on Chernarus.

I'm working my way through all the islands right now and am almost done with that. Then there is just the few remaining data.pbos.

exciting times! chernarus with open houses would be so awesome.

the author of the catalina map just released his objects and buildings pack for the communit
catalina map buildings are a bit too clean and I don't really see them fit anywhere in A2 maps...

Also a huge thanks CiforDayZServer for your work.

You might be the reason I re-install Arma 3, please take your time and don't rush things to please the community that became more and more impatient.

No 3rd party new buildings or objects are being included what so ever. Only existing BI structures will be opened/modified.

I've just finished uploading all the terrains except of United Sahrani to the Repo. All the scenes have been split out from the data which I believe is the "proper" way to do it.

I have to get through the United Sahrani objects, and the data packages.

Going to try to do what I can during the week, but generally don't have many hours to spend on it during the week. This weekend I think is all clear.

Hugely looking forward to this, keep up the good work!

Wow there are few mods, that I wait for with such anticipation. ACE3, JSRS 3.0 Dragon Fyre and This for sure. I absolutely can't wait to see your work man, but take your time man. Get it perfect but I can't wait to blow the hell out of your work.

Honestly I can't believe you are reworking the entire AIATP maps like Proving Ground, Utes and some of the other smaller maps that no one ever uses I amazed you are spending time on them. Top Effort man.

So, just to temper expectations... the initial release will be VERY similar, if not identical to the current AiA release, but with Evro's fixes, the fixed vegetation from ThreeDots, and maybe a few small objects/buildings I've done.

Most of the "work" I'm doing is just tedium trying to get the working environment, and repo setup.

I went back through and repacked/checked the terrains, renamed all the mod folders so they're the actual map names instead of the file names (sara.wrp = Sahrani, Desert = Rahmadi etc). I'm having a problem packing Sahrani Lite, and United Sahrani, both should be resolved after a little investigation/copy/pasting... but they're hung up for now.

The last leg after that will be the data folders, which will be tedious, but I should have time this weekend to get through them if I don't find the time during the week.

I'm kind of burning out from wanting to get it done, and then spending too much borrowed time on it... so I might just wait for the weekend to do more, but I doubt it lol.

I also checked out the RC branch and can confirm the Pond fixes are included there. So, All going well, that should be in the stable branch by the time a release is ready, so that's sort of a free bonus for CUP.

I also realized we haven't been too great about putting ourselves out there in terms of Social Media, so the group has all agreed it's something we should try to be better about.

Join our Forums

Like Us on FaceBook

Follow us on Twitter

Subscribe to our Channel on YouTube

Join the community over at Google+

So I am a little confused, with this mod, can we use old Arma 2 custom maps like fallujah? Or will AiA still be required?

This mod replaces and improves AIATP.

So yes, with this you can play old Arma 2 maps like Fallujah.

Ponds , Evro's fixes, and ThreeDot's vegetation are enough to get me excited! Thanks to all involved for all the hard work!

Ponds , Evro's fixes, and ThreeDot's vegetation are enough to get me excited! Thanks to all involved for all the hard work!

Yes, that's not what I call "VERY similar" ! Those are big improvements !! Thx again CiforDayZServer !!