cifordayzserver

Community Upgrade Project - CUP_Terrains

Great job guys. Impressive, as always. Looking forward to the CUP Terrains.

I have three questions:

- There was one guy in the AiA thread that offered his remade A2 buildings with newly modelled interiors for AiA, do You guys got his models?

- If yes, can we expect them in the first release?

- "I haven't had any time to get a build together yet". Do You mean like, a playable open-beta RC, that'd get posted here?

In other words, should I get even more excited?

I do have the Chernarus buildings that were shown in the AiA thread, They need a fair amount of work to get them in, so they're definitely not on the list for the 1st round release.

As far as the build, I just haven't had any time to get started on the project. There's not too much to it to get it renamed over to CUP_Terrains, but it will take some work, and some checking before it's a "working build". At the point it's a working build, I might release a beta, but it would really just be a re-named AiA_Terrainpack so sort of pointless to release IMO.

Once it's together, adding the buildings in from JBAD is also fairly tedious, so even those which are 100 percent done and up to starndard, will take a fair amount of work to get migrated back into the normal CA namespace that CUP uses, instead of the Jbad one M1lk8n & SmokeDog's project uses...

SO... the plan is, to get a working build together for myself this weekend, and start adding in SOME of the Jbad buildings, and the Pond fix if that's ready.. then release that once it's been tested a bit.

Once a build is out, and I've documented the steps needed to move the Jbad stuff into CUP, hopefully some others can help with that, and getting all the buildings in the AiA package fully config'd and add all the required stuff into the models so they work as normal A3 objects.

@CiforDayZServer

Is it not going to be modularized for first release?

Because IMO, I am most excited for the idea you presented where you said there would be like, a base "depdency" file for all the objects etc then having the maps separate.

@CiforDayZServer

Is it not going to be modularized for first release?

Because IMO, I am most excited for the idea you presented where you said there would be like, a base "depdency" file for all the objects etc then having the maps separate.

The first release should be modular, but, I'm not really doing anything to achieve that other than releasing the addons differently (well, the same as AiA_Terrains Data Pack).

I've just spent some time last night and today putting together a working straight copy of AiA_Terrainpack, it has 1 or 2 things I have to sort out, but know how, and then it should be a good starting place for me to add in the Jbad buildings, possibly the ponds, and release it modularized within 2-3 weeks at most. I just have very limited time to dedicate, but so far it's going very well, and all the goals are fairly easy for me to get done in a single 3-10hr session of working on it.

I have some stuff to do today now, if I find some more time today, I will try to iron out those last few issues (visual glitches with some objects I didn't move properly) and then take some screen shots, although obv. it's the same as AiA is currently.

Im assuming that the new CUP_terrains will not be compatable with missions made using All in arma terrain pack. For example with the powerful xcam addon, and a mission made on AiA takistan, this mission would be no longer usable when CUP_terrains comes out? I mean AiA is great, but as you have stated, your upgraded maps will be better (with bugs and more features), however it is unfortunate to have to throw out templates as well as any of the other maps that require AiA if this map pack was used. Or am i just completely wrong and there wont be any issues with compatability :)

Edit: I completely forgot to thank you for your hard work and im glad people like your group are willing to put in their effort in the hopes of making a better Arma experience for us all.

Cntrl+F find/replace AiA_TP with CUP_Terrains, then any "AIA" 's left for "CUP" job done.

The thing is that both AiA_Terrainpack and CUP_Terrains are doing the same thing, they are providing the missing island content from A2, and leaving it named the way it was originally. This is why when we change one model for another, there is no work needed on the terrain, the building called is just a different/newer model. So placing "Land_dum_istan2" in A2 Terrain tools, AiA_Terrainpack, or CUP_Terrains with Mapbuilder or xCam and the result is all the same. You get a marker position where "Land_dum_istan2" should be.

While many people were sour about the dropping of all the A2 content, for myself, it was a dream come true. All the changes we made for SMD_Sahrani could only be affected on other terrains if the terrain maker when in and changed the reference from "Land_dum_istan2" to "Land_SMD_dum_istan2". Now, I can take all the buildings that M1lkm8n and I have done for SMD, and all the Jbad Buildings M1lkm8n did, and work on them in one place, and have them effect all the terrains.

The only thing that MIGHT bother some folks, is that the old closed versions will essentially be gone. There will be no option to call them anymore, Eventually might make a package of them for mission makers, but the plan is to blanket replace as many buildings with enterable ones as possible.

Cntrl+F find/replace AiA_TP with CUP_Terrains, then any "AIA" 's left for "CUP" job done.

The thing is that both AiA_Terrainpack and CUP_Terrains are doing the same thing, they are providing the missing island content from A2, and leaving it named the way it was originally. This is why when we change one model for another, there is no work needed on the terrain, the building called is just a different/newer model. So placing "Land_dum_istan2" in A2 Terrain tools, AiA_Terrainpack, or CUP_Terrains with Mapbuilder or xCam and the result is all the same. You get a marker position where "Land_dum_istan2" should be.

While many people were sour about the dropping of all the A2 content, for myself, it was a dream come true. All the changes we made for SMD_Sahrani could only be affected on other terrains if the terrain maker when in and changed the reference from "Land_dum_istan2" to "Land_SMD_dum_istan2". Now, I can take all the buildings that M1lkm8n and I have done for SMD, and all the Jbad Buildings M1lkm8n did, and work on them in one place, and have them effect all the terrains.

The only thing that MIGHT bother some folks, is that the old closed versions will essentially be gone. There will be no option to call them anymore, Eventually might make a package of them for mission makers, but the plan is to blanket replace as many buildings with enterable ones as possible.

Thanks for your work.

I realized that AiATP is adding "aia..." addons requirements in edited missions. Do you think you could add AiA TP "CfgPatches" to CUP Terrains (even if unused) in order to prevent the unability to play missions created with AiA TP ?

That sounds awesome, also opens up a lot more buildings to use for terrain builders, with A3 i think people expect all buildings to be enterable, CUP fills the expectation :)

One more little model reference to get rid of, but all visual glitches are gone, I can start working on moving some more opened buildings into the package now.

Chernarus:

wEQumoEl.jpg

h5bbnyGl.jpg

Zargabad:

peID1mUl.jpg

NfJWtv2l.jpg

Takistan:

c4AUlbpl.jpg

EwJDGNUl.jpg

Bystrica:

URF9U7pl.jpg

NZEwLCKl.jpg

Utes

2Mvopu3l.jpg

17e4FLEl.jpg

Great stuff... takistan will always be near and dear so I'm happy to see it getting some CUP love

Will the A2 maps have the old 2D mountains/hills in the background? Glad you've made great progress with the maps!

I might be able to readd the mountain sky box but I'm not entirely sure with the way the new system works. Will look into it

The only problem with it is that the skybox from A2 had fake static clouds drawn in the skybox. So, the best way to do it would be to edit out the clouds in the skybox and keep in the mountains, that way they don't look as weird with the procedurally generated clouds from A3. Also, I don't know if the star map would be visible/accurate with the skybox (AKA I don't know if the skybox also uses drawn stars instead of A3 stars, if that makes sense)

The only problem with it is that the skybox from A2 had fake static clouds drawn in the skybox. So, the best way to do it would be to edit out the clouds in the skybox and keep in the mountains, that way they don't look as weird with the procedurally generated clouds from A3. Also, I don't know if the star map would be visible/accurate with the skybox (AKA I don't know if the skybox also uses drawn stars instead of A3 stars, if that makes sense)

Yeah, we (M1lkm8n) did basically the opposite for Sahrani in A2, removed the mountains but retained the part that blends with the clouds... I'm not entirely sure, I'll take a look at that as well.

I'm playing around with what fixes I can do to the terrains w/o source tonight. I will have to re-assemble the source files for the buildings/objects though, so that will take some time. Then I will just start trudging through all the rocks, veg, trees, signs, buildings etc putting in the A3 stuff, and as many features/improvements as I can as I go through. I just matched the terrain detail settings that are on SMD Sahrani, and added the midrange texture, but it still looks very dated. I'll have a deeper look at a later date, I want to focus on getting the object source setup properly so I can start adding in all the SMD/JBAD stuff that isn't in AiA yet.

I might be able to readd the mountain sky box but I'm not entirely sure with the way the new system works. Will look into it

I'm my opinion, as nice as the mountain skybox was, I am a bit spoiled and like the realsky skyboxes in A3, actually using the north star and constellations for land nav is great for gameplay.

Where is Namalsk?? we need that map fixed on arma 3 asap please!!!
I'm my opinion, as nice as the mountain skybox was, I am a bit spoiled and like the realsky skyboxes in A3, actually using the north star and constellations for land nav is great for gameplay.

Namalsk is a community authored terrain, so it won't be included, but as with AiA the A2 version of Namalsk will work in A3.

On the mountain skybox, it shouldn't affect the star map, but if it does it won't be re-added

I keep checking threads like this for a single word... "Clafghan" :rolleyes:

Seriously though, this looks like it could be a big improvement from the AiA system of doing things, all the way around. New buildings + old maps = a good time!

I look forward to seeing the results!

Speaking of Clafghan, will you be using Deansobeano's ponds to replace the A2 ones to prevent that annoying waterline bug? Or are you making your own? Would be great if the ponds had the same name as the ones in A2, that way it automatically replaces the A2 ponds with the new improved A3 ones, making community maps with ponds compatible. :D

Speaking of Clafghan, will you be using Deansobeano's ponds to replace the A2 ones to prevent that annoying waterline bug? Or are you making your own? Would be great if the ponds had the same name as the ones in A2, that way it automatically replaces the A2 ponds with the new improved A3 ones, making community maps with ponds compatible. :D

M1lkm8n has also been doing some fixes to the ponds, and it appears he's got them 100 percent working, AI swim, players can swim under or on the surface, and there is no visual glitch. My plan is to apply those fixes to the A2 ponds, however the visual glitch is caused by having more than 1 of the same pond called on a terrain, and that is something that can't "auto apply" to all other terrains, and something we'd have to do in a hacky manner without access to the source.

I will take a look at it and see if it's something that is do-able for the initial release, otherwise it's something we'll have to focus on at a later date.

You and M1lkm8n are awesome.

Thanks for your work.

I realized that AiATP is adding "aia..." addons requirements in edited missions. Do you think you could add AiA TP "CfgPatches" to CUP Terrains (even if unused) in order to prevent the unability to play missions created with AiA TP ?

That would be great ! Is this possible ?

Thx.

Sorry for the belated update, I've been updating a few things in SMD Sahrani, and working on getting together a working environment together for CUP Terrains.

AiA backward compatibility I think is fine/do-able, kju mentioned it a few weeks ago, I'll check my skype.

In the meantime I've been getting he working environment together and it's been a bit of a bear. I think I have a decent idea of the right workflow to get it all populated, and then it's just trudging through packing errors finding missing files or bad references and fixing them.

I started to do the Buildings PBO tonight, and it went fairly well, but there were a LOT of files with bad references. I am working under the assumption that they're garbage for now, to get it packing. I have a packing build now, but it's clearly a few steps behind where the last AiA Buildings release was. So I'll either have to redo that myself, or contact kju.

PBOProject is VERY picky when it builds a PBO, it checks all external references for all files you're packing... so, if something causes it to fail, you read the output, find the file, and figure out where the missing file or bad reference is. It's fairly straight forward, but time consuming. The problem with building from Bohemia's Sample Models, is, they include a fair amount of actual sample only content. So, there are RVmats for example that are not references by any models, or have pathing to files that do not exist. They serve to show how one would accomplish a certain goal, without providing a working model, only an example.

Most pbo packers don't care what you put in them, you could use them to pack video files and email them, but PBOProject checks EVERYTHING... which is good, it results in a much cleaner package, OR makes you aware of previously unknown bugs.

So, to say I have a packing build is a good step forward. As stated above, it's definitely a few steps behind where AiA is, but I should be able to fix that up quickly. Then onto the other majors, Buildings2, Structures, Structures_E, Structures_PMC, misc, misc2, misc3, misc_E, misc_baf, misc_acr.

The rest, are fairly small, and in need of less config work, doing the full conversion to A3 will take some time, and likely happen one by one, after the initial release.

I'm going to guess I should have a release-able build in 4-8 weeks?

Fantastic work.. keep us informed of progress