cifordayzserver

Community Upgrade Project - CUP_Terrains

That is the intent, a Full package will be made available, as well as a modular one, and they will be cross-compatible.

That's understood. My focus was on the folder structure though. AiATP was more or less modular, but the original folder structure (as in the original downloads) was not. That's what I meant.

hi great inititive!

I think the "arma3:ification" of the buildings should be the top pirority, sure could be fun with "new" versions of the old islands but I would prefer not seeing a changed version of lets say Everon with bigger towns/dense forest. Call me conversative but I like them the.

if you have a git or a email, somewhere were people could submit fixed houses that would be good so you could get some help.

As this community is full of resourceful people who have been doing these things on their own, I urge you to contact them and ask for their assistance. I also urge you to make those tutorial your top priority!

Excellent drive this one is!

EDIT: I mean people like the authors of these:

Terrain-Pack-Lost-Island-Lost-Island-Winter

Kunduz-Afghanistan-10km-Alpha-Release

Bornholm-Denmark-Terrain

Terrain-Kandahar-Province-WIP

Edited by Bumgie

This is undoubtedly one the best news in the Arma community this year.

I really hope that CUP and the AiA blossom in 2015 as I think that they'll improve A3 significantly and help attract A2 veterans ;)

As this community is full of resourceful people who have been doing these things on their own, I urge you to contact them and ask for their assistance. I also urge you to make those tutorial your top priority!

Excellent drive this one is!

EDIT: I mean people like the authors of these:

Terrain-Pack-Lost-Island-Lost-Island-Winter

Kunduz-Afghanistan-10km-Alpha-Release

Bornholm-Denmark-Terrain

Terrain-Kandahar-Province-WIP

Almost if not all of those are using M1lkm8n's buildings.

As mentioned first order of business is integrating all the jbad buildings, and getting the smd buildings fully done for a3.

We are always happy to accept any other contributions.

Overall this project sounds really great.

I rarely play Stratis/Altis today - more bornholm / zargabad / takistan / fallujah.

If classnames will be same and this buildings will automatically replace A2 buildings on third-party maps (like fallujah), well... this can be epic project.

If you need any testing done i have plenty resources free on my dedi

I like the idea of expanding the A2 BIS terrains. Would be nice to have Chernarus larger and expanded!

Ocean floor detail on a2 maps will be absolutely great. Glad to see another community effort coming together, just another reason this community rocks.

One question, will this make current AiA versions obsolete? Therefore no longer needed?

All of this sounds amazing, and the fact of having a core package separate from the map specific files will be a huge breath of fresh air for my community.

Thank you very much folks.

That's understood. My focus was on the folder structure though. AiATP was more or less modular, but the original folder structure (as in the original downloads) was not. That's what I meant.

There were alternate downloads for AIA_terrainpack, where you DL'd a "core" and then individual maps, it's towards the bottom of the thread ("AiA TDP 2015-01-01 Full (5.0 GB) - data only pack along with single download for each terrain:"),

or available here on AH: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=27548

The same idea will carried through. The compatibility between the full and modular packs will be tested prior to release.

hi great inititive!

I think the "arma3:ification" of the buildings should be the top pirority, sure could be fun with "new" versions of the old islands but I would prefer not seeing a changed version of lets say Everon with bigger towns/dense forest. Call me conversative but I like them the.

if you have a git or a email, somewhere were people could submit fixed houses that would be good so you could get some help.

We have a git, however are currently transitioning from DevHeaven to Jira. We are in contact with many authors directly, and anyone who wants to share their work is free to do so. We just need to verify it's authorship and get clear written permissions, as we will be sharing all SOURCE from this project, so some authors may not want to contribute knowing that.

Either way, we have a fairly large backlog of models that already need to be worked on to be integrated into CUP.

This is undoubtedly one the best news in the Arma community this year.

I really hope that CUP and the AiA blossom in 2015 as I think that they'll improve A3 significantly and help attract A2 veterans ;)

This is our hope as well! You never know who might be re-inspired by such a community effort, OR who might be enticed by the drastically smaller workload with all the Base game re-integrated into A3.

Overall this project sounds really great.

I rarely play Stratis/Altis today - more bornholm / zargabad / takistan / fallujah.

If classnames will be same and this buildings will automatically replace A2 buildings on third-party maps (like fallujah), well... this can be epic project.

We are retaining all CA naming so that anyone who's ever made a terrain using BI's buildings, they will be available, fully functioning, and hopefully opened and improved as well!

If you need any testing done i have plenty resources free on my dedi

Thanks for the offer! I'm still in the process of getting a test build together, so once testing is needed I might get take you up on the offer!

I like the idea of expanding the A2 BIS terrains. Would be nice to have Chernarus larger and expanded!

Expansion in terms of size is pretty much entirely out of the scope of this project, even the outlined expanded towns/forests is a pretty far off shot in the dark at best. Editing ANY of the A2 terrains w/o source requires a large amount of work to be done JUST to get them into the Terrain Builder program and back to square one.

Ocean floor detail on a2 maps will be absolutely great. Glad to see another community effort coming together, just another reason this community rocks.

One question, will this make current AiA versions obsolete? Therefore no longer needed?

Yes, AiA_terrainpack will be essentially pointless after we release CUP_Terrains.

All of this sounds amazing, and the fact of having a core package separate from the map specific files will be a huge breath of fresh air for my community.

Thank you very much folks.

As mentioned above, this was done in AiA_TP, I've not tested it, but it should work fine, and be inter-compatible with the full version. But yes, we wanted to make sure that is available and working to save both hosts and users with limited space or bandwidth precious MB's.

never mind it was a stupid comment lol just re read comment above

This is excellent news!

How would this pack work with ALIVE, especially with the terrains that would need to be rebuilt to fix terrain grid issues? Would this break their map indexing and missions that use the terrains?

This is excellent news!

How would this pack work with ALIVE, especially with the terrains that would need to be rebuilt to fix terrain grid issues? Would this break their map indexing and missions that use the terrains?

It's a question for Alive team, but IIRC coordinates used in setPos/getPos/etc are different from map coordinates (you even have command mapGridPosition to translate one into another).

This is excellent news!

So, I was unaware of this, but NeoArmagedon actually advised me the other day that the tiling does in fact effect AI's ability to travel to way points.

So, if fixed, it should rectify any problems with any AI mods or missions.

Just for clarity and information, to fix the terrain tiling bug, the terrains need to be re-built in Terrain Builder. This requires source files. I currently only have the same source files as are now publicly available in the Sahrani Community Package. So, that means ONLY Sahrani. It is possible to reconstruct the source... however it's a lot of work, and it requires tools to be made, which also takes time.

I have sent in an official request for the A1 and A2 source for all the terrains. I'm hopeful for the A1 source files as this will allow a much quicker fix to the A1 terrains. I'm not holding my breath for the A2 files, however we'll see.

Do you dare to ask the CWR2 for the source files to their islands..? Everon, Malden, Kolgujev, Nogova and DesertIsland. I will always love them, and I miss them.

I'd love to see that issue where all surfaces behave like paved road fixed :) that way it means something to be using an offroad vehicle!

Do you dare to ask the CWR2 for the source files to their islands..? Everon, Malden, Kolgujev, Nogova and DesertIsland. I will always love them, and I miss them.

You trying to get the OP killed?!

Thanks CiforDayZServer, this is wonderful news - I miss Chernarus in A3.

Edited by Orcinus

Thank you for doing this! The community really needs this.

You trying to get the OP killed?!